Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th July 2007, 20:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
I always wonder,are we Scorpioners outnumbered here in TBHP by Safarians?

Cheers.
As someone who neither owns Safari nor Scorpio, I do see a lot more talk about Safari on this forum. Is it because Safari owners tend to be more verbose or more passionate about their ride, I don't know. So, great to see that Scorpio owners have started sharing their experiences as well on this forum. Keep 'em coming guys.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 22:23   #32
Team-BHP Support

Generaloberst Guderian,

While I'm a fan of your Blitzkrieg philosphy, I'd like to ask how well your Scorpio likes the same
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 14:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hey Kamaraden, Themag, TB too loves it ! Its total blitz on the roads of Mumbai when the wheels roll ! Like the original Blitzkrieg (read my book Achtung Panzer !) the horn, accelerator and the gears (read Panzers,infantry and Luftwaffe work in perfect unison scattering the riff-raff on the road...!!!
Honestly TB has a great presence on road !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 15:59   #34
BHPian

Great narration pal. People have been telling me the Scorpion is not a safe car at high speeds. However I'll have have to review that after I read your story.............
manojgautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 17:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Great narration pal. People have been telling me the Scorpion is not a safe car at high speeds. However I'll have have to review that after I read your story.............
Thanks Manoj !
You can take my word for it - and what I have written is what I've truly felt about the Scorpio !!!
Old 29th December 2008, 17:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe...at 80K KMs. A Photo Essay.

It's been a long time since I've written something about Guderian on T-BHP !
Of course the last write up was at 40 K KMs -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-40-k-kms.html

And the party continues at 65 K KMs...!
And for those who came in late - Guderian is the moniker for my Scorpio SLX CRDe.
And here is a matter of fact jottings of various elements of Guderian, as I can recollect 'em:

1. Age: 3 years and 3 months.

2. KMs: 65,900.

3. Battery: Original Amaron - May possibly last for another 4-6 months (Touchwood ! But showing some signs of ageing).

4. Tyres: Original Bridgestones (Tubed) H/T. Appears I may have to change it before the next rains in Mumbai by which time I guess it would have done an additional 10 K KMs. In the last 3 years have had 3 flats (punctures) and have changed 2 tubes as one flat saw the tube being ripped by a longish nail and so didn't want to take a chance by just patching it and another tube changed last week when I was flipping the tyres about (reversed inner -outer) when one tube which wasn't opened for 3 years saw the valve joint disintergrating -with the valve stuck to the rim and the tube in the hands of the flabergasted tyrewallah ! Have rotated the tyres every 5k KMs, wheel alignment at 5-10 K KMs and balancing every 15 K KMs. Tyre pressure checked every Sunday in cold condition and all 4 kept inflated at a steady 31 psi. As the outer portion of the tyres showed greater wear than the inner - I
got them all reversed last week. Suggestion here is to do it every year for even wear.

5. FE - Have been getting an average of 11.75 - 12.5 KMPL in the Thane - Mumbai - Thane, daily run. Always fill BPCL standard ('Sada' if you please !) diesel from 'Pure for Sure' outlets.Once a quarter - Hi -Speed to clean the innards. Lowest FE returned was during the rains - lousy traffic/pot holes etc in the city - 10.46 KMPL. Best averages ever returned was around 14.5 KMPL during a long drives to Pondicherry/Goa/Bangalore. My current daily run is about 100 KMs.

6. Major parts changed under warranty (You see Gods blessed me with a 5 year warranty !) during the last 3 years:

a. Vacuum modulator.
b. Oil separator - Twice - Once under a retrofit.
c. Gear Box CRB Sleeve & rear oil seal.
d. Fan Belt Pulleys - Top & Bottom.
e. Brake switch.
f. Clutch switch.
g. Message box.

7. Parts changed or added under M&M's retrofit plan/s:
a. Clutch plate, pressure plate, CR bearing,fork, CRB, master & slave
cylinder, clutch pedal - major retrofit.
b. Additional heat shield.
c. Additional wiring harness.

8. Other than the above it's been routine servicing at intervals of 5K KMs - religiously. With due changes in oils etc.

9. Like mentioned in the write up at 40K KMs - the Sunday routine of cleaning and checks continues as a matter of religion ! It's a great weekly therapy for stress busting as far the owner is concerned ! Only difference netween then and now is that I've got myself a range of tool kits from my trips overseas...and all the minor jobs on Guderian I do it myself - great fun especially when I can't fix back a part or two and I break out in cold sweat or after a great adventure of putting back a small part, post cleaning, find a couple of extra bolts or screws - bedlam follows !

10. Electricals have remained fairly good - just a single tail lamp died out on me and the rest of the stuff seems to have held up till now.

11. Interiors have remained fairly good except the plastics which were cheap and tacky bear a lot of scuff marks. Upholstery got a protective cover last year in the form of a faux leather M&M (Scorpio) skin ! Was worth the money spent I thought...

12. Experience at the ASC - Fairly good - what with having made friends with all the mechanics, supervisors etc etc.I stand with the vehicle throughout the servicing and see everybit that goes in or out ! And that has saved me quite a few shivers later on ! Of course the mechanics et al curse me under their breaths !

Now that's as far as the matter of factly writing is concerned. Now the emotions and slobbering !
It's been one helluva experience owning Guderian. It could be stated with certainty that I own Guderian and 'he' possesses me !
Over a period of time it appears that the old boy has certainly developed a persona, in my mind at least, and the words that best describe that persona are - great presence, calm & assuring, reliable - never lets you down, sends a chill down the spine of any erring auto/taxi or irascible driver and above all rock solid presence...and behaves rather imperiously too, like the Generaloberst after whom the beast is named !
Guderian's been an ever present family member who has participated in all kinds of escapades - infact after the purchase we've not travelled for a holiday, except by road ! And some glorious road trips we've had - Pondicherry,Bangalore,Coastal Karnataka,Goa and inumerable short trips to Pune etc.
It's almost like a house on wheels - to the extent that whenever marital bliss is threatened by an irrational argument, your's truly has the option of shifting his bedroom for the night to the warm confines of Guderian - and the ruse is used with great effect to get my way with the better half !
And couple of times the following morning, I swear, I saw Guderian winking at me through those large clear headlights !
And the icing on the cake- many,many new friends from the Scorpio users group on Yahoo, but for Guderian.. where would I find such good folks ?!!
For those who want to see Guderian - just hop across to my gallery and here's one snap -
Guderian on the way up - to Sinhagad Fort - Circa Feb 2008.
Name:  Old  New.JPG
Views: 2759
Size:  123.3 KB

Tally ho then, till next time !

Last edited by Guderian : 29th December 2008 at 17:25.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

From your posts it looks like you truly love your car.
But what amazed me was the FE you have mentioned. Its quite high for such a large, heavy and unaerodynamic body. Looks like you have a light foot. I thought the max at highway would be 12-13, but 14.5 is very nice. Also in city where our Baleno gives out around 10, you are getting some astounding figures.

What I have seen in Scorpio is that if one fits in high watt bulbs, the relfectors wont gets yellowish as soon as lets say Octavia. Have you fit in any new headlamps or any other other modification has been done till now ( considering that the car has done 65K kms ) ? What is the average service bill ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 20:17   #38
BHPian

whats a "message box"...?
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 04:24   #39
BHPian

A very engaging review. Loved the mix of matter of fact writing and heart talk. We all are driven by our heart to a big extent when it comes to our vehicles.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 07:00   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nicely done. But hey, daily running of 100km, and you've only done 66k in 39 months?

Congrats on more miles and smiles
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 07:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
From your posts it looks like you truly love your car.
But what amazed me was the FE you have mentioned. Its quite high for such a large, heavy and unaerodynamic body. Looks like you have a light foot. I thought the max at highway would be 12-13, but 14.5 is very nice. Also in city where our Baleno gives out around 10, you are getting some astounding figures.

What I have seen in Scorpio is that if one fits in high watt bulbs, the relfectors wont gets yellowish as soon as lets say Octavia. Have you fit in any new headlamps or any other other modification has been done till now ( considering that the car has done 65K kms ) ? What is the average service bill ?
Hi Aaggo, Well and truly said about the love bit...
No, no modifications at all and I haven't fitted in any new bulbs either - infact the M&M supplied spare bulbs still lie forlorn (touchwood) in the glove compartment in their original packing !
Old 30th December 2008, 08:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
whats a "message box"...?
Hi, That's the VMS or the ''Voice Message Box'' which keeps throwing out all kinds of messages - which some of our bretheren here, find rather irritating - which I though find amusing and has saved me from trouble on quite a few occasions - like when the handbrake was engaged a few times or the rare occassions when the seat belt wasn't worn etc. before the vehicle was underway.
Old 30th December 2008, 08:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
A very engaging review. Loved the mix of matter of fact writing and heart talk. We all are driven by our heart to a big extent when it comes to our vehicles.
Thanks Unni. That sure is a great observation on matters of heart and automobiles. Though not too many admit it openly but that certainly is a fact, despite guys trying to be as objective as possible on matters of machines.
As someone was mentioning it's just a thin line that separates passion/hobby and madness.
Old 30th December 2008, 08:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Very nicely done. But hey, daily running of 100km, and you've only done 66k in 39 months?

Congrats on more miles and smiles
Hi & Thanks Phamilyman. Yes, the low overall mileage on the odo was due to the fact that in the last three years there were a few occasions where I had to travel overseas with the periods of absence being as high as 2 months to 3 months at a time. From the last few months that's not the case and hopefully should make up for lost KMs. And itching for a long,long drive !
Old 30th December 2008, 08:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Aaggo, Well and truly said about the love bit...
No, no modifications at all and I haven't fitted in any new bulbs either - infact the M&M supplied spare bulbs still lie forlorn (touchwood) in the glove compartment in their original packing !
Sorry Aaggo - missed answering couple of your Q's -
The average service bill has been around Rs 2000/-.
Yes I try and drive very sedately in the city following all 'good' driving habits like - changing gears at the right speed, smooth pick ups and stops - meaning no jack rabbit take offs at signals or regular harsh braking, try to keep the speed on highways between 80-100 KMPH, though it's tough and more often than not it hits 130-140 KMPH ruining the average ! Also important is the fact that you need to keep the tyres in fine fettle - appropriately inflated etc.