Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th June 2010, 15:14   #76
Senior - BHPian

guderian that's an awesome number achieved in the scorp' with minimum niggles. Congratulations on the reaching that number. Would you be able to put a brief write up on the service history ? As in what consumables at what logged miles, should be help to quite a few of us here.

BTW I still prefer the older looks of the scorp' than the newer Walrus looking thingy.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 17:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Wow, Guderian is back on TBHP after a long break. Certainly unflappable steed and an equally loving owner....
Hi Dev,
Many thanks for the kind words !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
guderian that's an awesome number achieved in the scorp' with minimum niggles. Congratulations on the reaching that number. Would you be able to put a brief write up on the service history ? As in what consumables at what logged miles, should be help to quite a few of us here.

BTW I still prefer the older looks of the scorp' than the newer Walrus looking thingy.
Hi RJ,
Thanks.
Let me see what best I can do to put up the figures after dipping into my maintenance XL sheet !
You are absolutely right about the old shape...and its styling. And they are certainly tougher !

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2010 at 20:57. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:40   #78
BHPian

@Guderian, what can i say! i am sure M&M would be really happy to read your experience. Superbly maintained scorp! wish you another 100k (+ many more) with your black beast!
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 08:46   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
@Guderian, what can i say! i am sure M&M would be really happy to read your experience. Superbly maintained scorp! wish you another 100k (+ many more) with your black beast!
Thanks MutantX.
Such comments really warms the cockles of me heart !!!
Old 29th June 2010, 10:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! 100K and still looking in tip-top shape!! Well done! I'll be happy if my Scorp looks like this after 50K.

Looking forward to read the contents of your maintenance excel sheet.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 11:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guderian , Wonderful review there mate!!
100k kms within 5 years is great. You have been munching a lot of miles.
And compliments for the well kept scorp. It still looks so fresh and new. You maintained it very well. Wish you load of fun with it.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 12:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Whoa! 100K and still looking in tip-top shape!! Well done! I'll be happy if my Scorp looks like this after 50K.

Looking forward to read the contents of your maintenance excel sheet.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Vikram,
Thanks ! Shall work on the weekend on the maintenance costs etc and put up a comprehensive report. Must say that it is a pleasure keeping the old boy ship shape !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi Guderian , Wonderful review there mate!!
100k kms within 5 years is great. You have been munching a lot of miles.
And compliments for the well kept scorp. It still looks so fresh and new. You maintained it very well. Wish you load of fun with it.
Thanks Fordmanchau !
Old 4th July 2010, 13:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

Default Some Cost Details of the Long Journey...100K KMs...

Hi,
Back here with a few details from my maintenance sheet of the last 4 years and 9 months and few days !

Total cost of Guderian - Rs 8,98,728.
Inclusive of insurance, road tax, RTO registration,bull bar,Kenwood CD player exchnage,under chasis rust proofing.

Let's take the big ticket items first:

1. Tyres - Changed at 68 K KMs. This was done before a long drive to the south in Feb 2009. The old tyres could have seen a little more action for about 10-12 K KMs.
The OE was Bridgestone H/Ts and the replacement Yokos - Geolandars A/Ts. The new tyres are simply superb and I like them much better than the Bridgestones. Absolutely sticks to the roads especially during the rains and when the conditions are treacherous. Unfortunately for me I ripped apart the two left side tyres (front and rear) when I ran them over a large, nasty piece of sharp steel left lying around so kindly and graciously by the BPT and Monorail construction authorities on the BPT Road near Wadala one night. This was at 83 K KMs. Replaced both with Yokos. The first 4 tyres replaced at a cost of Rs 22,500/- and some money received back for the old tyres.

2. Battery replaced in Feb 2009 at 68 K KMs. Amaron replaced Amaron OE. The new Amaron has the same rating as the OE - 65 Ah, 12V.The replacement battery is from the all green Amaraon Go series - 95D26R. Came with a 3 year warranty. Costed me 4.5 K after getting some petty amount back for the old battery. The Amaron Go is performing its duties rather well... till date at least.

3. Service Spend : I have been religiously taking Guderian to the same ASC in Thane every 5K KMs. I have completed 20 services till date, and have now run out of service coupons in the service manual !
I have totally spent an amount of Rs 78707/- which makes it an average of Rs 3935.35 per visit over the years.
This includes all oil,coolant changes, major front suspension overhaul (at 75 K KMs), rear spring leaf suspension recambering (at 70K KMs), wheel balancing & alignments, front hub greasing (twice - at 30 K & 85 K Kms), rear hub greasing (at 60 K Kms), change of front brake pads (twice - at 30 K & 70 K KMs), change of rear brake liners and drum cutting (at 80K KMs), injector cleaning (twice at - 40K & 80 K KMs), Front wipers (twice at 35K & 100K Kms), PS belt (at 50K KMs), four changes of air filter foam, five changes of fuel filter cartridge (every 20 K Kms), change of engine and gear box mounts (at 70 K Kms), Radiator flushing (at 80K), change of +ve terminal wiring harness (at 60 K KMs - not required, but result of my fussiness !), Window number etching (a security feature), 2 bulbs, 2 hoses and all labour charges.
The amount could have been slightly lesser had it not been for the fact that I used to keep changing the engine oil at 10 K KMs interval instead of the recoomended 15 K KMs interval. However since the last 2 services I have stuck to the 15 K Kms interval. Now the M&M ASCs use the Maximile Crown engine oil which has a rated life of 20 K KMs compared to the earlier Supreme and Premium which had a rated life of 15K KMs. So all the more reason for me to change at 15 K KMs.

4. Insurance (Rs):
Year - 2 - 20,500.
Year - 3 - 15,603.
Year - 4 - 13,346.
Year - 5 - 9,213.

5. Parts changed under warranty & retrofits: My Scorp came with a unique 5 year (60 months) warranty from M&M, having purchased it during the company's 60 years celebrations.
- Complete clutch components retrofitted at 45 K KMs.
- Vacuum modulator retrofitted (twice) - 20K & 30 K Kms.
- Alternator wiring harness retrofitted - 75 K KMs.
- Heat shield retrofit - 46 K KMs.
- Clutch switch.
- Brake switch.
- Steering link rod.
- Window winders - 2.
- Fuel gauge - 2.
- VMS box -1.
- Oil separator - 5 !!! M&M has a perpetual issue with their oil separators earlier. Now fixed I guess.
-

6. Items purchased for Guderian during the last 4 years:

- Seat/Gear knob/Steering cover from M&M - 11-4-2008 - Rs. 8130. These covers (camel brown colour) are truly good and tough.
- Gear lock Autocop - 2007 - Rs. 1350.
- Floor jack - 2 ton - Rs. 1500.
- Jopasu cleaning kit - Rs. 1100.

7. Additional
- Complete heavy tool kits -2, digital tyre inflator, foot air inflator, more and more tools...! List endless.

Phew and that's about it.

Shall be happy to answer any Qs if any !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 16:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the 1L mark buddy. your vehicle seems very well maintained & in pristine condition, kudos.

by the way, where did you get the "scorpio fans" sticker from? looks nice.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 18:26   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a lovely time viewing the thread with vivid details of your 5 year old!I am sure you are taking extra care of your SUV and the looks tell.Do keep us posted on its performance through the thread.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Congratulations on the 1L mark buddy. your vehicle seems very well maintained & in pristine condition, kudos.

by the way, where did you get the "scorpio fans" sticker from? looks nice.
Hi Raj,
It's been a long time since we chatted up...
Thanks a lot for the compliments on Guderian...will convey it to him !
On the sticker - it was organised by BCG of Scorp group (TBHP too) & mailed out. Though I didn't get it directly from him - I ambushed HVK (distinguished T-BHPian) and got it from him - sorry BCG. But, let truth be revealed, as they say ! There was also a numerical selected by each member - which I've not stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Had a lovely time viewing the thread with vivid details of your 5 year old!I am sure you are taking extra care of your SUV and the looks tell.Do keep us posted on its performance through the thread.
Hi Anjan,
Thanks a lot. Yes do spend quite a bit of time with the old boy and so Sunday is the time spent pampering him !
Sure will update the experience and performance through this thread, at regular milestones. Will truly be my pleasure. Ahhh...the pleasures of owning a pioneer CRDe machine !
Incidentally I've been putting up periodic reviews of my Scorp. Here is the thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...oto-essay.html

Don't know why I didn't strike me to continue with the old thread - just plum forgot about it. Must be old age ! I meant my age and not Guderian's who is truly very young as vehicles come !!!

Request to the Mods: Can the new (this thread) and old thread be merged and put up with the new title ? Thank You !

Last edited by Guderian : 5th July 2010 at 11:11.
Old 1st March 2011, 17:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6

(A Request to the Mods - Please change the title of the thread to :

"Sounding - The Last Post ! Guderian, A Scorpio CRDe, Decommissioned.")

Feb 26, 2011.

And so finally the saga of Guderian comes to an end !
Name:  DSC06246.JPG
Views: 3104
Size:  269.3 KB

The day began with a terrible feeling and yet it signalled a new begining !

And five years, five months and eleven days ago I would have never thought that I would have to ever pen these lines.......

Guderian a Scorpio CRDe was named after Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian the architect of Blitzkrieg and the Panzergruppe chief. He was a true blue Prussian professional soldier in Wehrmact who hated the Nazis and told Hitler where to get off and took him head on. Strictly apolitical and one of the very few German Generals who was honourably acquitted by the Nuremberg war crimes tribunal.
Read more about Guderian here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Guderian

Sunshine Guderian came into our lives on Sept 15, 2005 & departed today.
He completed in the meantime 1,13,210 KMs.
Name:  DSC06253.JPG
Views: 3459
Size:  197.1 KB
Every single kilometer here was pure bliss. And quite a few things happened in our lives during those kilometers.
-My son grew up in it.
-I did my Ph.D in automobile engineering in it.......and grew old......
-The LoH gracefully aged in it.........and what else not !

And amidst all this we went to quite a few places.

A true companion, a faithful charger........ever ready, ever cheerful and no distance, no task impossible.

The view from within for 5 years, 5 months & 11 days !
Name:  DSC06248.JPG
Views: 3086
Size:  250.2 KB

As I looked around......

The mighty Director:
Name:  DSC06252.JPG
Views: 3031
Size:  227.1 KB

Spacecraft ! enough to move in on the days/nights I had a fight with the LoH !
Name:  DSC06250.JPG
Views: 3009
Size:  206.2 KB
Name:  DSC06251.JPG
Views: 2977
Size:  234.4 KB
Name:  DSC06258.JPG
Views: 2830
Size:  210.5 KB

What a Jolly Chap he was.......!
Name:  DSC06266.JPG
Views: 2797
Size:  161.7 KB
Name:  DSC06267.JPG
Views: 2795
Size:  188.5 KB
Name:  DSC06268.JPG
Views: 2758
Size:  215.8 KB
Name:  DSC06269.JPG
Views: 2762
Size:  201.9 KB

All systems go even on the last day - not a hair out of place !
Name:  DSC06256.JPG
Views: 2709
Size:  184.3 KB

The mighty heart beats hard and fast still......after all these years & miles !
Name:  DSC06263.JPG
Views: 2676
Size:  249.0 KB

Name:  DSC06264.JPG
Views: 2703
Size:  247.1 KB

And the decommissioning ceremony.

- Was a quite one HVK ( a distinguished TBHPian) was the Guest of Honour that morning.
The GoH arrives.......
Name:  DSC06270.JPG
Views: 2647
Size:  235.6 KB

Guard of Honour !
Name:  DSC06271.JPG
Views: 2660
Size:  251.8 KB

The last sigh !
Name:  DSC06272.JPG
Views: 2598
Size:  232.7 KB

Offspring tries his hand at the wheel for the last time.
Name:  DSC06277.JPG
Views: 2653
Size:  228.0 KB

- Guderian was depennanted and the TBHP colours lowered.
Name:  DSC06274.JPG
Views: 2590
Size:  219.2 KB

- Plate of Honour - viewed for the last time !
Name:  DSC06284.JPG
Views: 2529
Size:  198.6 KB

- Last post sounded.
Name:  The Last Post 2.jpg
Views: 2605
Size:  74.4 KB

- GoH leaves.
Name:  DSC06273.JPG
Views: 2556
Size:  184.7 KB

Driven to the yard by 11.15 am.
Name:  DSC06287.JPG
Views: 2566
Size:  283.3 KB

Handing over - taking over completed. Paper work done.
Name:  DSC06282.JPG
Views: 2571
Size:  217.4 KB

Felt as though I have lost/given up a part of my body.

Is this the end ? How can it ever be ?
For Guderian shall live on for ever in my mind. Shall forever be a shining example of what a warrior should be - silent, brave, uncomplaining and ever ready for any eventuality.
Adios, Guderian my friend - a true friend, we shall meet in spirit again - at the Valhalla of warriors.......
'What kind of a dream is it,' said ”ūinn,
in which just before daybreak,
I thought I cleared Valhǫll,
for coming of slain me,
I waked the Einherjar,
bade valkyries rise up,
to strew the bench,
and scour the beakers,
wine to carry,
as for a king's coming,
here to me I expect
heroes' coming from the world,
certain great ones,
so glad is my heart.

It kills me to face the reality - but then I know that life must go on! Move on.......travel to other lands. Pick up another steed.

Farewell my friend.

Hail Guderian the Scorpio !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st March 2011 at 17:33.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 18:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Guderian...A Scorpio CRDe. EDIT : Updated to 100,000 kms. Full costing on pg 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
It kills me to face the reality - but then I know that life must go on! Move on.......travel to other lands. Pick up another steed.
Hail Guderian the Scorpio !
You certainly had some very nice times with Guderian. I m sure if kept well, he will please his new owner too.

Did you sense or were any issues beginning to surface on Guderian at the time of sale?

Now, it is time to start a new and detailed thread about your "Admiral" in the "Initial Ownership Reports" section I feel.

Bring it on.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 21:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

It was such a well maintained Scorp. somehow, I am feeling sad that its gone.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:23   #90
Team-BHP Support

That is indeed a well-maintained Scorp.
So, what's next? Another one?
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote