Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th April 2010, 20:50   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
hey ph03n!x can you please post some pics of ur ride with the 15" rims?

Really curious to see how they look on Getz since personally have not heard or seen anyone install a similar config!!
15" is pretty common on the Getz - I know of at least one more in the forum itself

Here is a link to my ownership thread - this page has a few pics, and if you look in a few earlier pages I have posted some more too:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...z-crdi-16.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
This is what the tyre shop guy told me if I go for 15" in my Getz. But , i cant make it for sure. I too heard squeak sounds from rear left side. But later found that it was the custom made rear parcel tray that was the culprit. I removed the parcel tray and fitted round speakers on the rear door itself. The sound doesnot exist anymore. But when going through big potholes , i can hear some sound , but i think thats normal for any car.
Nopes, it aint the parcel tray for sure. We have locked in to the suspensions, lets see what else comes up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Phoenix- The sratchy sound is something I've never heard on rough terrain. I've only heard a thud which seems quite normal. I think you should get that checked as well
Yup, this Thursday is gonna be the D-day!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 09:51   #137
Senior - BHPian

See that's the whole point ph03n!x. Many people are sceptical about upsizing the rims and stick to stock configs!
I have a 15" running on my Santro and boy it Looks Great and feels Awesome to drive

BTW I missed the Rocket hatch by only few months else would have had one myself! :(
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 13:26   #138
BHPian

@vik- i dont think most people refrain from upsizing because of suspension issues. The same cars have bigger sizes abroad and the wheel arches can certainly accomodate it. The reduced size has more to do with the higher comfort and economy that can be achieved.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 13:48   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
See that's the whole point ph03n!x. Many people are sceptical about upsizing the rims and stick to stock configs!
I have a 15" running on my Santro and boy it Looks Great and feels Awesome to drive

BTW I missed the Rocket hatch by only few months else would have had one myself! :(
Just checked out your garage - Hot! You have gone for a +2" upsize - that's pretty rare. the Yoko ES too suits the looks. How do you find the ride comfort on a bad patch? And have you done anything with the suspension too?

Go for the i20 CRDi, that is the closest you get now - a colleague of mine who was looking for a new car went for the i20 after my Getz showed him what gut wrenching 24 KGM of torque can do
Quote:
@vik- i dont think most people refrain from upsizing because of suspension issues. The same cars have bigger sizes abroad and the wheel arches can certainly accomodate it. The reduced size has more to do with the higher comfort and economy that can be achieved.
I concur - the most common reason why people hesitate to upsize is because of warranty concerns, and definitely because of the comfort factor too - I can vouch that the upsized rims coupled with my rock hard S.Drives has killed the comfort out of my ride - that's why my next tires will be A.Drives or something on the comfort side. I shiver to think my predicament had I gone for 16" or 17" on Madras roads!!!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 14th April 2010 at 13:52.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 13:58   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Just checked out your garage - Hot! You have gone for a +2" upsize - that's pretty rare. the Yoko ES too suits the looks.
OT : Those are Nankang tires not Yokos.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 18:28   #141
Senior - BHPian

hey Ph03n!x thank you for the feedback buddy abt my ride, I just Love Her!!
As you all experts have already addressed the same, Comfort has probably taken a back seat. But guys my car came with Alloys as OEM (Limited Edition Hyundai Alloys) and since he day one I'm double careful over potholes and rough patches. What I'm getting at is that I have not noticed a cabin shattering difference, but yes agree there is difference, but then again I had a 65 profile tyre which is now 45!!

kpzen is right, its Nankang rubber!
Old 20th April 2010, 12:01   #142
BHPian

Default Accident!!!! Car in Workshop

Met with an accident on Sunday while driving back from Cochin to bangalore. The accident happened 55kms into the journey, 15 kms from Trichur.

Though the pics shows that my front is damaged, the incident was not my fault. An amby guy took a U-turn where there was no designated turn and on seeing me, he braked and stopped his car right in front of me. He was just 10 mtrs away and I had no way to avoid the hit. I hit the brakes, tyres locked and car skid for 10 mtrs before hitting the amby.

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-pic-1.jpg

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-pic-3.jpg

I now will speed up the process of getting tyres suited for the car's tremendous power - ADVAN NEOVAS; or something similar and some alloys to fit the tyre. I now will be searching for all possible ways to increase the braking power, though none of these would have helped here as the distance was just about 10 mtrs when I was travelling at 80kmph.

Last edited by krish3 : 20th April 2010 at 12:13.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:11   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Met with an accident on Sunday while driving back from Cochin to bangalore. The accident happened 55kms into the journey.

Though the pics shows that my front is damaged, the incident was not my fault. An amby guy took a U-turn where there was no designated turn and on seeing me, he braked and stopped his car right in front of me. He was just 10 mtrs away and I had no way to avoid the hit. I hit the brakes, tyres locked and car skid for 10 mtrs before hitting the amby.
I am glad that you are safe, again goes to show how unsafe is our highway.. No matter how careful one is, there is an element of volatility everywhere. Where exactly did this happen, i mean the location?

Did you hit the rear of the amby?
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:15   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh boy! That is a bad hit! Feel for you buddy :(

Now I know why you suddenly want to upgrade tyres!
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:22   #145
BHPian

Damn!!!!

Krish I hope the damage was limited, and no injuries to the you and your co-passengers!

Could you drive the car back?
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:44   #146
BHPian

Mr Bean-: I hit the rear right door of the amby. He was facing me side-on as he was in process on taking the u-turn when he stopped on seeing me. I had no place to move to.

Nikhil- Though advans wouldn't have saved me in this place as distance was very less, I want to avoid the lock-ups and ensure that if there is a chance, I should be ready to take it. And yes, Tyres will be changed after I get car back and bring it to bangy or if my guts fail me, then in cochin itself if anyone has stock.

Praful- No injuries to anyone, except a scratch on my wife's left elbow as she got all hyper when the crash was imminent, instead of sitting tight. Can't blame her, as one never knows how one behaves in such situations. I was very calm as I knew it was in-evitable. I could drive the car back to cohin after changing the front left wheel and tyre with the spare. Its now in hyundai centre in cochin
Old 20th April 2010, 13:00   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hey Krish Im sure all of us agree that you came out of this mess safe.

I do feel for your ride but then again Im sure you will get her Back to her Best Soon. Considering the Boulder (Ambi) your Rocket Hatch has take considerable hit and yet looks like she was standing!! Waaaw
Old 20th April 2010, 13:17   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

See, dont get awed by this accident.

I'm mentioning this because in your own words, "if my guts fail me".

As a regular long distance driver, you know there are incidents which cannot be avoided. Dont let your guts fail you. It will not be good for your future. Accidents happen. Dont let your confidence fail. Even the best drivers with the best cars and tyres and safety equipment crash occasionally.

When you are coming back, irrespective of what tyres you have, drive normally. It's natural that you will be extra alert, but that's fine.
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 14:32   #149
BHPian

Good to know that you are safe.
If you are going for advan neovas dont go beyond 29psi.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 14:52   #150
BHPian

Thanks Brraj and Nikhil.

Any other similar performing tyres that you can think of and recommend and preferably quieter? I found Advans quite noisy and I prefer a silent highway drive.