Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th September 2010, 09:44   #226
BHPian

I'm now a bit wary. There was no oil when they removed the pipe. It might have all gone down to intercooler, coz they removed after keeping the car idle for around 10 mins. They didnt remove the intercooler and clean it. Not sure if they cleaned as soon as they removed the pipe.

Hoping what they did is right. Fingers crossed.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 21:07   #227
BHPian

Yet another long drive. Bangalore-TVM, 700 kms one-way. The drive was as usual smooth till Nagercoil. It took just 7 hrs to reach Nagercoil. After that it took 3 hrs to reach TVM which was just 70 kms away. PHEW!!!

Got a mileage of just above 17kmpl, crusing mostly at 120 kmph +- 5-10kmph. Top speed touched was just 160kmph on speedo.

Now a new issue is cropping up. I'm now hearing the turbo whistle quite prominently, even in city speeds. Is this anything to look at seriously and what effects would it have in the long run? I'm planning to do an EGR Valve cleaning by next service.
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:12   #228
BHPian

Default 23k kms and first paid service done

The first paid service for my Getz is done. The service is the 18months/30,000kms service. Since I've done only 23231 kms till now, the service was done on a time basis.

The only thing extra that was done was to change the front brake pads. The bill came out to a huge Rs 7553/-

The bill breakup is as given below

CARB & INJ CLEANER -: 176.05/- (said to be the EGR Valve cleaning)
ENGINE OIL -: 5.3 ltrs * 202.45 = 1073/-
PAD KIT - FR DISC BRAKE -: Rs 1751.56
Weights for WHEEL BAL -: 64.17
Filter Cartridge -: 1320.17
Filter Air Cleaner -: 304.05
Filter Assy Engine Oil-: 192.31

Total -: Rs 4881.31/-

Labour

Replace diesel filter -: 150
Wheel balancing -: 280
Wheel alignment -: 355
Periodic Maintenance Service -: 855
Brake Pads replacement -: 185

Total -: 1825.00

VAT on 4881.31 @13.5% - : Rs 658.98
Service Tax @ 10.3% on 1825.00 -: Rs 187.99

GRAND TOTAL -: Rs 7553.00

Fellow Owners -: Do you think the bill is huge or is it normal?

Personally I feel the bill is huge. AS I own a Ford Fiesta as well, I feel the HYUNDAI PINCH heavily. The fiesta paid service bill never comes above Rs 3500/-. Last paid service bill was Rs 2550/- only.

For everyone who feels that maintaining a Hyundai is cheap.... think again.

Now that there is only 6 more months of warranty remaining and next service is only after 6 months, I will now take the car outside for service. want to see if the filters etc can be of a lesser price.

In hyundai's defence, they are only charging the MRP of the items.

Enough of the bickering.... now the plus points.

The service was excellent and so was the service advisor. I'm going to them for the second time and they remember me well. They did a fantastic job. There were a lot of rattles and noises from the dashboard and front suspension. Everything was checked and fixed. The pickup of the car is also very good now and the suspension seems to be working better than ever.

KUDOS to ADVAITH HYUNDAI, Near SPAR @ Bannerghetta Road for the wonderful service. They even reduced a lot of labour charges to reduce the bill by almost Rs 800/-

The wheel balancing and alignment job was also wonderfully done, though I have yet to check at very high speeds on the highway.

For other likes and dislikes ... look no further than Phoenix's thread. I think those points applies to all Getz owners.

Last edited by krish3 : 2nd March 2011 at 19:14. Reason: Adding service center name
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:41   #229
BHPian

Default Re: Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.

Krish the bill seems to be what most hyundai crdi owners would get.
Over time the amount tends to average out because not everything needs to be done at every service. So dont worry too much about it.
Though I do agree that getting service done outside after warranty might actually be cheaper.
You can also consider engine oil from outside. You will get far superior performance than stock oil.

EDIT: I think costs of parts is higher in bangalore. I remember brake pads cost me about 300 bucks less than what you have mentioned. VAT is also higher there by 1%. With service tax going up to 12% I think we will all feel a marginal pinch from these service bills from now on.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 2nd March 2011 at 19:42.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:49   #230
BHPian

You have just given me a wonderful idea. I shall come to chennai or go to cochin for the next service, to save on bills.

Two birds in one shot.. a great drive and cheaper service. The total expense might turn out to be same or a bit more, but it involves lot more fun
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:56   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
You have just given me a wonderful idea. I shall come to chennai or go to cochin for the next service, to save on bills.

Two birds in one shot.. a great drive and cheaper service. The total expense might turn out to be same or a bit more, but it involves lot more fun
LOL now your talking like a true CRDi owner
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:36   #232
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 23k kms and first paid service done

Quote:
The bill breakup is as given below

CARB & INJ CLEANER -: 176.05/- (said to be the EGR Valve cleaning)
ENGINE OIL -: 5.3 ltrs * 202.45 = 1073/-
PAD KIT - FR DISC BRAKE -: Rs 1751.56
Weights for WHEEL BAL -: 64.17
Filter Cartridge -: 1320.17
Filter Air Cleaner -: 304.05
Filter Assy Engine Oil-: 192.31

Total -: Rs 4881.31/-

Labour

Replace diesel filter -: 150
Wheel balancing -: 280
Wheel alignment -: 355
Periodic Maintenance Service -: 855
Brake Pads replacement -: 185

Total -: 1825.00

VAT on 4881.31 @13.5% - : Rs 658.98
Service Tax @ 10.3% on 1825.00 -: Rs 187.99

GRAND TOTAL -: Rs 7553.00
7.5 k for a 20k service... Jeez thats expensive...
Hyundai is overcharging big time.

What all does the periodic maintenance service include ? Only washing ?
I suppose, diesel filter labour should be included in that.

EGR cleaning is a good thing but not required at 23k kms.
Injector cleaning @ 23k kms. I doubt if they did that. Its better not to touch the injectors unless you have some issue.

Any particular reason why you changed the brake pads at 23k kms ?

Last edited by kpzen : 2nd March 2011 at 20:39.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:38   #233
Senior - BHPian

I would say we gotta expect the following every 10k - Fuel filter, Air Filter, Oil Filter and Engine oil. Plus the periodic maintenance. Going by that, the bill should have been (2889.53+13.5% VAT = 3279.62, 855+10.3% VAT = 943.07) 4222.69/- (which is pretty decent for a Diesel car, esp one that has so many horses under the hood ).

You are better off doing alignment / balancing outside. Not really sure why they did EGR / injector cleaning @ 23k - I have noticed Hyundai A.S.S bringing in stuff like EGR cleaning, Engine flush, etc. the moment car enters the paid service bracket.

And, like Prajesh asked, why change the brake pads @ 23k - did they wear out? The spares definitely seem pricey in B'lore, will dig out my service bill later and post a comparo.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:46   #234
BHPian

I changed my brake pads around the same time. Excessive left side wear.
Given the speeds krish does perhaps no surprise that brake pad wear has happened

I think there is also some kind of bearing/bush/washer kind of issue on the verna/getz crdi which causes pulling issues and brake wear on one side. After I had the extra washer put in and the bushes and wheel bearing replaced all these problems went away and control under braking improved a great deal.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 2nd March 2011 at 22:48.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:35   #235
BHPian

Brake pads on the right side were worn out, would have lasted for a few more kms (read 1000-2000). I saw that and asked them to change the brake pads.

EGR Valve cleaning was to have been done the last time when the intercooler hose was changed due to a leak. They did it this time on my request and the injector bill is for that.

I had fought for diesel filter labour to be included in paid service charges. They had quite a lot of labour charges, but they didn't remove this. I think I will have to go and fight again when I go for a beading replacement on the right rear door .

I did the wheel alignment and balancing with them as I'm too lazy to take it out for that. But from what I have checked till now, it all looks good. Will have to take it out tmrw on Hosur road and check out @ higher speeds if all is working fine.

Last edited by krish3 : 2nd March 2011 at 23:37.
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:45   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I would say we gotta expect the following every 10k - Fuel filter, Air Filter, Oil Filter and Engine oil. Plus the periodic maintenance. Going by that, the bill should have been (2889.53+13.5% VAT = 3279.62, 855+10.3% VAT = 943.07) 4222.69/- (which is pretty decent for a Diesel car, esp one that has so many horses under the hood ).
Some ways you can save money :
1. Get Green or K&N. I've been using it for 75k kms now, use --> wash --Re-use. No need to spend Rs 350 every time.
2. Buy oil filter from HASS and get oil changed from outside. You save at least Rs 200 ~ 300 Tax + your service record shows the oil filter.
3. Change fuel filter every 10k kms and buy an oil filter from store and keep. I always have couple of oil filters at home in stock.

Quote:
You are better off doing alignment / balancing outside. Not really sure why they did EGR / injector cleaning @ 23k - I have noticed Hyundai A.S.S bringing in stuff like EGR cleaning, Engine flush, etc. the moment car enters the paid service bracket.
Standard procedure these days.
Once the SA just saw the kms and without checking the car wrote Throttle body cleaning on the JOB CARD.
Got serious !@#$%&*( from me and i just drove out without getting anything done from there.

Quote:
And, like Prajesh asked, why change the brake pads @ 23k - did they wear out? The spares definitely seem pricey in B'lore, will dig out my service bill later and post a comparo.
Price seems to be OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Given the speeds krish does perhaps no surprise that brake pad wear has happened
Excessive wear on one side is a concern.
There has to something more than the speed factor, my car almost does 150 + daily thanks to 50kms of expressway commute.
Quote:
I think there is also some kind of bearing/bush/washer kind of issue on the verna/getz crdi which causes pulling issues and brake wear on one side. After I had the extra washer put in and the bushes and wheel bearing replaced all these problems went away and control under braking improved a great deal.
More info on this pls.
Quote:
Brake pads on the right side were worn out, would have lasted for a few more kms (read 1000-2000). I saw that and asked them to change the brake pads.
Good decision but did you check why that happened ?
Quote:
EGR Valve cleaning was to have been done the last time when the intercooler hose was changed due to a leak. They did it this time on my request and the injector bill is for that.
EGR cleaning is good but don't get the injectors handled by them unless required. Factory settings is the best.

Quote:
I had fought for diesel filter labour to be included in paid service charges. They had quite a lot of labour charges, but they didn't remove this. I think I will have to go and fight again when I go for a beading replacement on the right rear door .
Challenge them else these buggers will keep looting us.

All my opinion based on my ownership. No offense intended.

Cheers
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 07:44   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too had the same issue of excessive one sided wear (dont remember which side). But , i dont think the same solution was done . Got to wait and see when the next change for pads happen.

Hey guys, I heard from the Technician , that the timing belt change for Verna will cost around Rs.20000 because, its chain type and the Engine has to be lifted and changed. Elantra is belt type and cost less than half of it.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 07:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I got from my bill for the 30k service:

Part number - Part Description - Amount
319222B900 - Filter Cartridge - 1275.46 (Fuel filter)
281131C500 - Filter-Air Cleaner - 293.76
263202A001 - Filter kit-Oil filter - 299.28
NPNENGOILD - Engine Oil Diesel - 878.90 (5.30 liter) (this is from my 1st service (1500 KM - 8th July 2010), the oil was Servo)
VAT is 12.5% on the parts

Periodic maintenance is 770, and the service tax is 10%.

I always have a problem of the service guys bringing in the wrong filter, and then me telling them the right part number. IIRC, the wrong part number was 263202A500, which would be longer and thinner in radius than the right one (263202A001). Apparently there are two oil filter designs for this engine. And what is interesting is, Krish's oil filter is actually cheaper, while the rest is costlier than Chennai (what is the part number?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. Get Green or K&N. I've been using it for 75k kms now, use --> wash --Re-use. No need to spend Rs 350 every time.
That's what I do, but I get an air filter from Hyundai once in a while. And I do get my oil from outside (Delvac MX for ~200 bucks a liter).
Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Hey guys, I heard from the Technician , that the timing belt change for Verna will cost around Rs.20000 because, its chain type and the Engine has to be lifted and changed. Elantra is belt type and cost less than half of it.
That is one more question on my mind - does the timing chain need replacement? The manual reads timing belt, which I know needs periodic replacement - does the same apply for the chain? At what intervals?

Last edited by ph03n!x : 3rd March 2011 at 07:51.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:01   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is one more question on my mind - does the timing chain need replacement? The manual reads timing belt, which I know needs periodic replacement - does the same apply for the chain? At what intervals?
The company recommends 70000-80000kms . But my technician told me that we can change around 100,000kms for my car to just postpone the big expense . My Elantra's service cost was less than Rs.5000 this time for Getz Rs.9200(You can check my thread for details). I do service for both the cars at the same time.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:26   #240
BHPian

Prajesh-: Thanks for the idea. Thats what I'm now planning to do from next service. Buy the filters from Hyundai and get service done outside.

I have a theory why the right side brake faded faster. My car has a slight pulling to the left and for last 3k kms, the tyre had some balancing issues resulting in steering wobbling at high speeds and high vibrations on heavy braking.

From undead's reports, I get a feeling that Hyundai's are getting increasingly expensive to maintain. God knows what'll be the costs for the new Elantra & Sonata that are coming up. But again, I feel this increase is cost is for the newer diesels as I saw the Cruze also having a higher service cost than the Optra. Thankfully, the brake pads didnt cost as much as the Cruze or else I would have had a heart attack