Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st March 2010, 05:06   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
what is the top speed of the getz crdi?
I did 180 KMPH in the NICE stretch. Stock replacement K&N, 195/55 R15 Yoko S. Drives - No other mods. Note that the car did not top out, it would have done more - but the roads ended!
Quote:
And what is the mileage you can expect from this vehicle?
I get a consistent 14.5 - 15.5 for both in city and highway (probably because I am doing 180 KMPH drives when on highways )
Quote:
If i drive on the highways at speeds of 100-120kmph what mileage will it give?
Never tried that - this is a car that will easily be on 140+ even before you blink. Keeping her under 120 is a really tough task!
Quote:
And does this engine require any special fuels
None specified, but I stick with Shell normal Diesel, have fed her something else only when on highways, and Shell is not available.
Quote:
whats the weak link (mechanically speaking, if any) in this stunning package?
Suspension - tends to be a a bit soft, not sporty. Brakes - though my tires add strength to it, rear discs are sorely missed. ABS/EBD - Though I have not driven a car with one, and thanks to my Contessa Classic heritage, always pump the brakes / never stand on it, it would have made for a complete package with it.

Curious to know - why are you asking these questions now, are you buying one? New or used?
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 09:19   #122
BHPian

@Superveloce - reading your queries, I for a minute, thought the Getz Crdi was a supercar

Answers to your queries

1) Top Speed - Dont know. Touched a speedo indicated 190kmph, roads did not end, my courage ended. True top speed might be somewhere around 185-190kmph.

2) Mileage- I've got mileage varying from 12.8 to 20kmpl. 12.8 when I was driving fast, 20 kmpl when I was driving around 80-100 kmph. You will not realise when it touches 120kmph, you will note only after you cross that. Expect somewhere arouns 14-16 kmpl.

3) Fuel- I use normal unleaded fuel mostly from IOC bunks.

4) Weak link- BRAKES. It needs disc brakes all round and ABS/EBD would have been great, coz there is a tendency to lock up.

I love the suspension because I want comfort with great cruising ability that the engine gives - the main reason for buying Getz.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:26   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
2) Mileage- I've got mileage varying from 12.8 to 20kmpl. 12.8 when I was driving fast, 20 kmpl when I was driving around 80-100 kmph. You will not realise when it touches 120kmph, you will note only after you cross that. Expect somewhere arouns 14-16 kmpl.

3) Fuel- I use normal unleaded fuel mostly from IOC bunks.
Man! You gotta teach me how to drive this car @ 80~100 KMPH!! I have never seen a mileage beyond 16 KMPL, and that's because I just can't keep her at those speeds!

And you meant regular Diesel, right? I mean, unleaded is for Petrol...
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:43   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Man! You gotta teach me how to drive this car @ 80~100 KMPH!! I have never seen a mileage beyond 16 KMPL, and that's because I just can't keep her at those speeds!

And you meant regular Diesel, right? I mean, unleaded is for Petrol...
Dude very simple, if you fear for your life you would maintain speeds of 80-100kmph... Our highways are unsafe for high speed driving..
On the ECR you got cows and buffaloes sleeping/dreaming on the road.
On the chennai-blore highway, you got tractors and tvs50 fellas..

Jokes apart

Ensure smooth accelration, if u have settled down at 120-130km/hr speeds, it all matters how you reached there? Do not revv up jus run through each gears in a smooth manner.. I feel the ECU behaves a little different & results in more mileage.

Why don't you try system-d when you tank your car? I would recommend OSW 360 too..
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:54   #125
BHPian

For maintaining the car between 80-100 or even lesser..... drive on Kerala's highways or State highways. I've got 20kmpl only once. I regularly get between 13.5-17kmpl depending on where and whom I drive with. Which is why I wrote to expect between 14-16kmpl.

And Yes.. I did mean regular diesel... a mistake there.
Old 24th March 2010, 04:25   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Ensure smooth accelration, if u have settled down at 120-130km/hr speeds, it all matters how you reached there? Do not revv up jus run through each gears in a smooth manner.. I feel the ECU behaves a little different & results in more mileage.

Why don't you try system-d when you tank your car? I would recommend OSW 360 too..
You need to drive the rocket on the Blore highway to see what I mean. Nopes, I dont rev her up at all - its a Diesel burner, and the torque starts kicking your bottom at less than 1800 RPM itself. Until the 4th gear you hardly cross 2000 RPM. In 5th, at 2000 RPM you are at ~90 KMPH, and 2000 RPM is bang in the torque band of this monster - and you will pull from 80 to 140 in 5th in half the time (or less) you'd take finish reading this sentence!

Nopes, I aint gonna add any additives - Shell regular Diesel is all I am feeding her. The next change will be to Synth oil, when 20k ticks in.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 24th March 2010 at 04:26.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:22   #127
BHPian

Rightly said Phoenix. You really have to take it to the highway to know what its capable of. And the best part is.. its effotless cruising all the way, while others think that we are ripping away.
Old 4th April 2010, 21:32   #128
BHPian

Default 10000 kms in 7 months

The first landmark of 10,000 kms is up for my Getz and its come in 7 months. 90% of these kms were done on highways and that were the only running for the car comes from.

This landmark was reached during my weekend trip to Pondy.

Rocket Hatch - Dark Grey GETZ CRDI. EDIT: 1 yr, 15k kms + report.-dsc01067.jpg
Old 5th April 2010, 02:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! Its a feeling, seeing the new digit adding up, aint it?!! You should have come to Chennai and dropped me a line
Old 5th April 2010, 10:46   #130
BHPian

It indeed is a nice feeling to see a new digit coming up. This might be the last addition on to the digits.. coz I don't think I'll own the car till 1 lakh kms like some do here. Max 60-70k kms.

Next target 20k before August 26, 2010. Just hope there is enough vacations to getting the running in. Next up is a trip to Trivandrum (next week) for Vishu OR Goa for the week after that.

I had no plans to touch chennai.. it was the tindivanam-Tiruvanamalai- Krishnagiri route. I might come soon to chennai for a personal visit, will inform you before-hand.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:41   #131
BHPian

Question Squeaking noise from rear suspension.... suggestions required!!

On Sunday I drove from Bangalore to Trivandrum; my in-laws place. Whole journey of 700 kms took 10.5 hrs. 640 kms to Nagercoil took just 8 hrs including a 1 hr 15 mins of break for snacks, diesel and then lunch and then diesel again. The remaining 60 kms to trivandrum took 2.5 hrs ; thanks to the Kerala highways.

I noticed a slight problem that has come up now by the time we reached Kerala- There is a slight squeaking noise from the rear, most probably from the rear suspensions. It comes when there is a slight wavy motion in the road and the vehicle bobs around; and on bad roads.

Has anyone else faced this problem in any of the cars (any manufacturer) and what could be the possible solution for this?
Old 13th April 2010, 02:54   #132
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. I had both my rear shock-absorbers replaced in warranty over the last month or so (one after the other - rear left replaced last week) owing a scratchy sound I used to get especially in turnings though I get the sound on rough terain too. Am still getting a different sound, and have requested a senior, experienced mechanic to take a look at my A.S.S.

Do you have wider tires or upsized rims? I have both, and am kinda worried. The offset recommended for the Getz is 35 - 45 mm, while mine is 30 mm. I have read that a variation of 5 -7 mm is ok, though.

Gurus, if culprit is indeed the tire / rims, won't it be the wheel bearings that take a hit first? And how would I know if my wheel bearnings are fine or not?
Old 13th April 2010, 07:51   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Gurus, if culprit is indeed the tire / rims, won't it be the wheel bearings that take a hit first? And how would I know if my wheel bearnings are fine or not?
This is what the tyre shop guy told me if I go for 15" in my Getz. But , i cant make it for sure. I too heard squeak sounds from rear left side. But later found that it was the custom made rear parcel tray that was the culprit. I removed the parcel tray and fitted round speakers on the rear door itself. The sound doesnot exist anymore. But when going through big potholes , i can hear some sound , but i think thats normal for any car.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:16   #134
Senior - BHPian

hey ph03n!x can you please post some pics of ur ride with the 15" rims?

Really curious to see how they look on Getz since personally have not heard or seen anyone install a similar config!!
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:12   #135
BHPian

I last heard this kind of sound in an old Ambassador that my family had. I think I will have to get it checked. I have upsized my tyre to 185/65 R14, but not the rims.

The sound is not from parcel tray where I've installed the rear ovals. I tried pressing down the vehicle from rear and the squeaking sound was heard from rear shocks. Will have to push for a comprehensive check when I reach Cochin or after travelling back to Bangy.

Phoenix- The sratchy sound is something I've never heard on rough terrain. I've only heard a thud which seems quite normal. I think you should get that checked as well