Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th October 2012, 20:25   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S

My i10 airbag check light has come on and car is out of warrantee. Any clue on the cost of the module?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 21:03   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My i10 airbag check light has come on and car is out of warrantee. Any clue on the cost of the module?
20000 - 25000 as I was quoted.
But please request the SAs and engineers to do a full scan with their GScan tool and pinpoint the issue (with codes) before they ask for replacement of SRSCM module.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:28   #168
Senior - BHPian

Came back to India for good (atleast for the time being!) on 18th January, and have been driving my beloved i10 extensively since then - both for commute and leisure. Feels like I had never left!
The car has a few scratches here n there, and is overall coated in dust - I plan to tackle both once I receive the SKIL pressure washer and bosch drill (for which I have bought the Meguiar's DA power system).
There's around 24K kms on the odo, and the car is returning around 11.5-12.5 kmpl for the last 2 weeks in moderate to heavy traffic.
Feels good to be back, driving black!
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:07   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Came back to India for good (atleast for the time being!) on 18th January, and have been driving my beloved i10 extensively since then - both for commute and leisure. Feels like I had never left!
The car has a few scratches here n there, and is overall coated in dust - I plan to tackle both once I receive the SKIL pressure washer and bosch drill (for which I have bought the Meguiar's DA power system).
There's around 24K kms on the odo, and the car is returning around 11.5-12.5 kmpl for the last 2 weeks in moderate to heavy traffic.
Feels good to be back, driving black!
A warm welcome back to India. It will be indeed a pleasure to the eyes to see you and your black i10 auto which at that point of time was the only automatic car in this part of kolkata. By the way you stay at Madhyamgram which place; asking because I stay at airport gate no. 2 which you know very well and maybe can catch up with each other when you get release from that office of yours. Your call.
tacho9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 13:31   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
A warm welcome back to India. It will be indeed a pleasure to the eyes to see you and your black i10 auto which at that point of time was the only automatic car in this part of kolkata. By the way you stay at Madhyamgram which place; asking because I stay at airport gate no. 2 which you know very well and maybe can catch up with each other when you get release from that office of yours. Your call.
Thanks - I stay near madhyamgram station. Guess we can keep our eyes n ears open for a kolkata tbhp meet, and catch up with the veteran kolkata bhpians.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 13:45   #171
BHPian

Sure thing. Infact I do occassionally visit madhyamgram too near station. To catch up on the auto enroute sodepur. Will make sure we meet along the way. By the way I had talked to one of the BHPian for a small T-BHP meet sometime around march april. Hope you'll be staying put in kolkata till then. Because you move out to the states as fast as lightning it seems.

Last edited by tacho9000 : 2nd February 2013 at 13:47.
tacho9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:51   #172
Senior - BHPian

A strange thing happened last Sunday.

I was driving locally, and for once, decided on opening the sunroof after a long time - just to ensure that the mechanism does not jam.
The sunroof opened smoothly, but after a minute, when I tried closing it, the 3 way toggle switch just felt loose and lifeless, with a few sounds of plastic creaking. The sunroof did not close. The light switches in the same assembly were working ok.

I hurriedly drove home with the sunroof open, and while inside the garage, tried prying out the switch assembly. To my horror, the entire plastic housing just crumbled in as many as 20-30 pieces - though the clear plastic held form. The plastic housing broke from the smaller screw housings. I tried the switches again - and though the light switches worked fine, the sunroof switch had gone kaput and also had lost a few small parts.

Horrified, I tried to unscrew the entire assembly from the metal frame, but the pliers were touch the electrical leads and few sparks flew (literally!). I disconnected the battery, and unscrewed the 2 small bolts that holds the entire assembly to the metal roof frame. At that moment, I had no clue how to close the sunroof.
Called Mukesh Hyundai workshop and they said no way it can be repaired (obviously!), and replacement has to be ordered.

Put the phone down, and took out the three way toggle switch to notice 2 metal contact areas. After couple of minutes of tinkering, I understood that if I can somehow short the required contact area, I may be able to activate the sunroof motor. Couple of tries later, the sunroof crawled back smoothly to close all the way !! (yay!)
Disconnected the 6 pin connector from the broken assembly and put all the pieces in a plastic bag.

Come Monday - and I visited the HASS on my way to office. A quick inspection by the SA and after ordering the required switch assembly, I am now moving about with a big gaping hole in the interior roof (thankfully no open sunroof), no interior/courtesy lamp, and a promise that my wallet is about to get lighter by around 5000 rupees this coming weekend.

P.S: Hyundai i10 has a webasto sunroof.
Old 24th April 2013, 08:21   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

What a coincidence. I have got the same problem. I was quoted 3500 for a replacement switch console at an OEM stockist.

The cause was diagnosed as a slight water leakage from the hardened rubber lining that caused this.

Hyundai cannot source the rubber lining that surrounds the top glass and i'm trying desperately to source it from somewhere.
Old 24th April 2013, 08:50   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What a coincidence. I have got the same problem. I was quoted 3500 for a replacement switch console at an OEM stockist.

The cause was diagnosed as a slight water leakage from the hardened rubber lining that caused this.

Hyundai cannot source the rubber lining that surrounds the top glass and i'm trying desperately to source it from somewhere.
Tejas - as I have mentioned, the sunroof used on Hyundai i10 asta is sourced from webasto. Please try to contact them as they might be able to help. I have this picture of the sunroof motor that clearly says webasto.

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-img_20130424_083822.jpg
Old 24th April 2013, 09:02   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried but not available with them either.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:41   #176
Senior - BHPian

Replaced the entire switch assembly from Mukesh Hyundai HASS. A 5 minute job and Rs 4813 later, everything is back to normal.
But it's still a mystery to me what caused the plastic to crumble like that. One of my friends suggested that rapid heat buildup due to parking in the sun, followed by cooling from AC had made the plastic parts brittle. I find no reason to disagree.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:04   #177
BHPian

It's good that Mukesh Hyundai did it's job well. It is amongst one of the better A.S.S. in kolkata. You daily travel by your car through airport and we haven't met yet. Plan up and then let's catch up. I'm PMing you my number. Drive safe.

Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 13:00   #178
Senior - BHPian

Default My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S - 30000 kms up!

Passed the 30000 km mark last weekend.

The car soldiers on with (very) few minor rattles - considering the horrible state of Jessore rd / NH 34 that I have to cover everyday, I am not complaining.

I can feel two things that needs to be changed in near future:

1. Brake pads - braking has become somewhat spongy and high speed braking is NOT confidence inspiring now. Have to possibly replace the front pads and tighten up the rear drums in the next service.

2. Tires - the ES100s have some tread left. However,visual inspection suggests that with the soft compound, this isn't gonna last very long. Maybe a tire change is due by the end of this year.
Overall I am happy with the ES100s with only 2 punctures in 4 years (touch wood), though the tire noise is on the higher side.
Shall stick to the 185/60R14 size - request bhpians to please come up with some suggestions.

Also - as the 4th anniversary of the car is nearing in a month, request the mods to kindly move this thread to the long term ownership section.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 13:18   #179
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to do some tinkering around, and thus put in a set of DRLs.

Details in the DRL thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3209205 (The DRL Thread: Everything about daytime running lights)
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:14   #180
Senior - BHPian

Got my scheduled paid service done a few days back. The odo reads somewhere around 35K kms.

Total cost for the service came to around 3.5K for labour, consumables, engine tuning & changing of a battery cable (I was experiencing a strange phenomenon where all the electricals, including light and stereo was stopping momentarily and again getting back on - all while driving - scary!)
Also paid out of pocket for the following stuff picked up during the last year:

1. Denting & painting of FR door, RR door & running board (swerved into a concrete pillar to save a dog)
2. Denting & painting of RR quarter panel (a speeding bike behind me could not brake and left a nasty scratch+dent)
3. Painting of RL door (someone with a key/stonechip had scratched designs exposing base coat)
4. Painting of front & rear bumper for numerous scratches picked up jostling with cycles, cycle rickshaws, cycle vans, low curbs & others.

Total damage for the denting and painting came to 26K.

Although I was not very happy when I found out, they threw in a polish job for free after the bodywork was done (have to check for the DISO - dealer installed swirl option(!) later)

Overall - the car drives merrily without any complaints. Hard to find faults with a car as well rounded as the i10.