Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th September 2009, 09:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Mileage update folks!

I started on just a tad above half tank with 39 km on the odo.
The fuel mark is now just a thread below 3/4 empty, and the odo reads 167.

I filled up around 22 litres, and maybe used 13 litres (I guess the approximation is ok based on the fuel indicator). So the approximate mileage till now comes to be (167-39)/13 = 9.84 kmpl !! Not bad eh?

My drive consists of 23 kms each way while coming and returning. 50 - 50 city highway, and I keep the A/C on 50% of the time (cooling and switching off, then again cooling after 15-20 minutes, like that!)

Let me know your thoughts, I shall continue to update the mileage figures.

Also figured out yesterday from the manual how to keep the parking lamps on while the key is removed (auto headlamps off - remember!).

Last edited by blackasta : 4th September 2009 at 09:30.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy, blackasta. It seems that autos are finally gaining popularity here. Thanks to hyundai for that! Your seat covers are not fitted properly, try to get them reinstalled.

Last edited by JayD : 4th September 2009 at 11:13.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quite an alias you have chosen for yourself blackasta. Congrats on your purchase. However a switchover from Mazda 626 to the i10 must have been unsettling for you. I was considering the i10 sometime back and my wife decided against AT. To tell you the truth I am a stick driver but hate stick driving in traffic. Traffic as well as the uncivilized auto,mostly uncivilized bikers and barbaric minitrucks in my city cry out loud for an AT. However theres a misconception around here that driving an AT is less manly and gives you aweful FE.

Even I was at the shop to finalize on i10 asta manual but i20 won us over.I was told at that time that if we could wait a while we could get the AT but we needed it then ! But by all means i10 is a wonderful car.

Which part of Jessore Road were you driving in ? Airport to away towards Barasat is a playground of trucks. I hear the roads are pretty good up there now. Also Amarpally to Lake town is a comparatively comfortable one. Driving through nagerbazar from airport to Lake town and vice versa is a challenging job ! Please dont tell me you got the tata there.
PaglaGoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:41   #19
BHPian

Hey buddy congrats ..
Nice wheels .. car looks great.. though i feel the seat coverts could have been fitted bit thighter.. may be its just the camera angle.
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaglaGoru View Post
Quite an alias you have chosen for yourself blackasta. Congrats on your purchase. However a switchover from Mazda 626 to the i10 must have been unsettling for you. I was considering the i10 sometime back and my wife decided against AT. To tell you the truth I am a stick driver but hate stick driving in traffic. Traffic as well as the uncivilized auto,mostly uncivilized bikers and barbaric minitrucks in my city cry out loud for an AT. However theres a misconception around here that driving an AT is less manly and gives you aweful FE.

Even I was at the shop to finalize on i10 asta manual but i20 won us over.I was told at that time that if we could wait a while we could get the AT but we needed it then ! But by all means i10 is a wonderful car.

Which part of Jessore Road were you driving in ? Airport to away towards Barasat is a playground of trucks. I hear the roads are pretty good up there now. Also Amarpally to Lake town is a comparatively comfortable one. Driving through nagerbazar from airport to Lake town and vice versa is a challenging job ! Please dont tell me you got the tata there.
I drive from Madhyamgram (just before barasat) to Airport, then from airport to saltlake sector 5 via Rajarhaat. Ya roads are certainly better than what they used to be, but afte the monsoons there are quite a few potholes here n there, so have to keep an eye on them.
The TATA 407 nicked me where the airport area ends, near B.T college bus stop.

I initially planned to get the i20 1.4 A/T, but the width of that car (comparable to honda city) alongwith its size unsettled my dad ( a premier padmini /M800 driver ), who declared that I get a smaller car for me (3rd car in the house), to fit into the garage area. Also, the price tag would have been 2 lacs+ heftier.
So decided against i20 and got an i10.

Don't make me remember the Mazda , I really really miss the super seating (people might call it low, I call it comfy), and great steering. Not to mention the feeling of driving a mid size sedan @ 100 MPH on Interstates.

@JayD / Karizma

I know the seat covers are a tad loose...and I am to blame for that (tried to fiddle with the strings after installation and messsed up ). Shall get them tightened.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th September 2009 at 11:57.
Old 5th September 2009, 00:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Remote lock on the key

Its just the one switch on the side - press it to lock all doors, press again to unlock. Thats it!

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-dsc02363.jpg

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-dsc02365.jpg
Old 5th September 2009, 16:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wet road handling:

Went out today when it was raining to fetch my car's registration card from the dealership. The mad truckers of jessore road, and the tattered VIP road tested the cars ability to swerve and break on wet weather conditions - and it passed with flying colors. There were no wheel lockups, no side strafing while changing lanes, and grip was great.I encountered quite a few potholes, and drove the car slowly over them. Well, small potholes cannot be felt due to the wide tires passing over them, but big potholes seem to pass the jerk a bit more to the steering.

question: some road portions have stone chips raised to the surface (to enhance grip i guess). I could really feel them in the steering. Are my tires a bit over inflated? I have 30 on all 4, running 185/60R14 Yokohama AVS ES 100.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Today I cleaned my car for the first time after taking delivery, and here are a few pics after that.

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-dsc02366.jpg

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-dsc02369-copy.jpg

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-dsc02370.jpg

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-dsc02371.jpg

My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S-dsc02372.jpg
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 19:46   #24
Team-BHP Support

Nice pictures! And a good choice with the alloys. You need to reinstall the seat covers IMO. The job isn't really finished well, they should stretch tight and without creases ideally. Unless of course it doesn't bother you at all, in which case please don't pay attention to this. Hehe.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 22:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

I know the stuff about seat covers. I have an habit of fiddling with things, and in this case, it was the seat covers! while I tried to tighten/loosen them at my will, I could never get the initial fit and finish right.
Feel too lazy to get them back to the same shop and do a refit (I guess you figured it out already !!)
Old 14th September 2009, 13:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Your baby looks really neat with alloys & tires.You did the justice to it.
Guess its too early to ask abt the mileage.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:08   #27
BHPian

Black i10 with that alloys looks really awsome. My co-bro took i10 magna, i insisted for a black one, but he went for champ. gold.

Your car is looking cool.
mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:18   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Remote lock on the key

Its just the one switch on the side - press it to lock all doors, press again to unlock. Thats it!
Congrats on your car.

The problem with the keys is that it's says lock and unlock and many valets have tried to press that and then come and tell me that battery is down. Most other remote keys have buttons below the writing and the side key is to lock the buttons so they are not accidently pressed. Thus the confusion.

Remember, car auto-locks in a min if key is removed but not locked.

30 is not overinflated. Infact go upto 32, FE will improve.

EDIT: The i10 suspension is on the stiffer (due to tall boy design) side and that's why you are getting the road feedback a little too harshly. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 14th September 2009 at 13:21. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 15:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

thanks ramsagar, mech & tejas

@ramsagar
My daily drive is around 46 kms (230 kms weekly), and i fill up once a week with Rs 1000 worth of petrol (around 21 litres). That calculates to around 11 kmpl. I have to monitor further to have a concrete number.

@tejas
I myself got confused the first time I received the keys, and though the button to be a sliding one!!! But to its credit hyundai provides both keys with remote.
Shall try 32 the next time I fill up gas and air at the same time.

I was thinking of getting tinting done, can anyone help me with this (% light allowance etc etc)? Kolkata cops are nowadays very strict about dark tints.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:16   #30
BHPian

One suggestion from my side - If you move that perfume to the left corner, it will be looking good instead of where it is placed now.
mech is offline   Reply With Quote