Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th July 2010, 09:25   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Amartya,

I was looking for the spares cost for the Ford. You have attached the price list. Still I feel it is much higher than MUL. Thanks for the information.

Going by Ford standards, I found this to be reasonable! No one can be compared to Maruti.
They are the absolute Nadir in this business in terms of price!

Last edited by ampere : 25th July 2010 at 09:35.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 10:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Amartya,
I was looking for the spares cost for the Ford. You have attached the price list. Still I feel it is much higher than MUL. Thanks for the information.
Navan, you are right to a certain extent. Spares for the Fusion are quite steeply priced, however, for the rest (including Figo, Fiesta and iKon) the prices are extremely competitive. Also, initially, the cost of Fusion spares was even higher, it was only after checking out these prices did we decide to buy this car for my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Going by Ford standards, I found this to be reasonable! No one can be compared to Maruti.
They are the absolute Nadir in this business in terms of price!
Correct, but the Figo is now right there with them and so is Fiat (surprise!). As you had pointed out, this is the pricelist from Feb-2009, however, my dealer here confirmed that the prices still remain almost the same (in fact, he said it might even be slightly cheaper). Actually parts related to the drivetrain are very reasonably priced thanks to them being shared with the Fiesta.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 10:24   #48
Team-BHP Support

I just spoke to the service advisor about the head lamp unit. He said there are about 5-6 types available ranging from 8K to 12K (I guess the cheapest one is listed in the brochure). He asked me to get the vehicle to the site, so that he can inspect and tell which one of them will fit.

Hope he does not come back and says sir it will cost 12K per piece!
Old 25th July 2010, 10:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just spoke to the service advisor about the head lamp unit. He said there are about 5-6 types available ranging from 8K to 12K (I guess the cheapest one is listed in the brochure). He asked me to get the vehicle to the site, so that he can inspect and tell which one of them will fit.

Hope he does not come back and says sir it will cost 12K per piece!

That just doesn't sound right to me at all. The headlamps are interchangeable between the Fusion models (e.g. the one you have and the one with the orange indicators). If you change both, then you can always get the one which is the least expensive. By the way, the ones on the parts list, was the orange indicator one.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 10:33   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
That just doesn't sound right to me at all. The headlamps are interchangeable between the Fusion models (e.g. the one you have and the one with the orange indicators). If you change both, then you can always get the one which is the least expensive. By the way, the ones on the parts list, was the orange indicator one.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. When I take the vehicle to the service.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
A Primer on GPS: Garmin is the one of best providers of GPS hardware...

You can transfer track-logs of all your journeys into the computer and analyse all the details. ..Its quite some fun and a handful of information...

You can find hotels (stay/lodging) at unknown towns, where you dont know the roads. I have benefited immensely by this feature.

So to conclude:
I would not say GPS and maps have come of age in India. But yes its a very good start, esp. in a country where you can open the window and ask for the route. Under such cases, a GPS provides only more confidence that you are still going on the right road.
Ampere, thanks for that wealth of information. As you rightly say, although in our country we are still fortunate to ask our way around, this is a good standby option to have.

Also being able to download all the trip information on to the PC is really useful for those want to maintain records.

Thanks again, will certainly go through the web sites and contact you for further advice if I do decide to install it.
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:11   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Ampere, thanks for that wealth of information. As you rightly say, although in our country we are still fortunate to ask our way around, this is a good standby option to have.

Also being able to download all the trip information on to the PC is really useful for those want to maintain records.

Thanks again, will certainly go through the web sites and contact you for further advice if I do decide to install it.
@Damu There are quite a few Garmin, Satguide and MMI users on this forum.
You will lots of help .
Old 26th July 2010, 16:39   #53
BHPian

ampere , I currently drive a 06'Getz P with 51k on the odo .Planning to change my car to fusion d , have come across a Sep'09 Fusion D+ with 9000kms and asking price of 4.3L . I would be doing good highway trips coupled with single lane state highways and kuccha roads . Need your feedback on the ride quality and rattling's . Since have heard a lot about bumpy ride and quality of plastics used in fusion esp. around dashboard and on the B pillar.

I plan to keep the car for another 4-5 yrs or 50000kms.
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 19:04   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
ampere , I currently drive a 06'Getz P with 51k on the odo .Planning to change my car to fusion d , have come across a Sep'09 Fusion D+ with 9000kms and asking price of 4.3L . I would be doing good highway trips coupled with single lane state highways and kuccha roads . Need your feedback on the ride quality and rattling's . Since have heard a lot about bumpy ride and quality of plastics used in fusion esp. around dashboard and on the B pillar.

I plan to keep the car for another 4-5 yrs or 50000kms.
I have no idea of how the diesel is built. I have 2005 petrol Fusion +. According to me ride quality is very good. Pretty silent inside the cabin. Did not have any rattle issue till date. High GC and power (100BHP/Duratech) helps me ride over state highways and potholes very easily. Never had one issue of bottom scraping till date.

A point to note: Almost all of of my rides have never been on a loaded vehicle. Just me wife and kid. Hence dont know about its behavior when its loaded to the brim.

Plastic Quality: Yes its not that great. But I am OK with it. At least it has never let me down. A cabin pocket on the dashboard gave off. The guys at Ford asked about 7K to fix it. I asked them to close that space permanently. Thats the only bad part which has happened.

Another thing as I mentioned in previous post: My head lamp unit is getting corroded. Since the body is of fiber and not glass. Its causing an issue. You can check that aspect as well. As Amartya suggested, I plan to change it very soon.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
A point to note: Almost all of of my rides have never been on a loaded vehicle. Just me wife and kid. Hence dont know about its behavior when its loaded to the brim.
Regarding load. I have travelled with 7 people in the car on moderately bad roads over bumps and in knee deep water. No issues at all. No issues when loaded on very muddy roads either, keep the clutch dipped and in 1st and you can power out of a 6-8" deep mud/slush without much difficulty.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 18:07   #56
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Ford Fusion: Life Till 55K and beyond. EDIT: Sold!

Update:

Over all Status: 75K with regular servicing of about 5K per service (twice a year). In these times, car went through multiple Chennai-BLR drives, Ooty, CKM, and many many places within South India. And not to mention countless hours of driving within the city. No complaint and the car has responded very well.In the last service the advisor said the clutch plate was getting weaker, may need a change soon.

The only fly in the ointment:

The vehicle Head Lamp Unit has come to such an extent that light gets diffused. Night driving on highway is almost not possible. I checked with Metro Ford and the guy said 9.5K per unit . That means 19K on the lamps, plus may be a clutch plate change. On top of it, since the car has been phased out, they need to order the units and it takes about a week (as per their claims).

Apart from the head lamp cluster corrision no other issues. Accessories add: Sun films and seat covers. Suffered my first real flat tyre at the ripe age of 66K of the car!

Need to figure out what can be done to the head lamp cluster. Since I will hold the car for another 2 years minimum, looks like I have no choice but to go for the change and shell out 20K.
Old 21st December 2010, 23:18   #57
BHPian

What might be the resale price of a 2006 Fusion that has just crossed 51k and has a complete service record with no outstanding issues?
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:17   #58
Team-BHP Support

No idea. I have not even asked that question yet to myself! But I know this aspect will be breathing down my neck very soon. Mine is a 2005 version!
Not expecting much though. Hence plan to use as much as possible.

Yesterday changed one of the headlamps. The other new part had some defect. So will get it changed today.
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

@ampere - better to shell out that 20k and have yourself a trusty vehicle - it has evidently given you some excellent usage so it is worth spending on it to keep it in continued good condition.
@frequentflyer - I was casually enquiring about a Fully Loaded Fusion + - TDCi with ABS of 2008 vintage recently from a car dealer - he quoted 5.5 lacs non-negotiable. Around 2-3 days after that I learned that the car had indeed sold, for 5 lacs. Considering that it cost Rs 8 lacs when brand new, thats a pretty steep drop in re-sale.
Leads me to believe that Petrol Fusions of 2005-2006 vintage should be available anywhere between 3 to 4 lacs depending on the condition.

I really liked the Fusion as a car - almost bought a TDCi with ABS in 2008 but grabbed the Scorpio on account of it being bigger with greater space availability. Luckily as it turns out since they 've discontinued Fusion.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd December 2010 at 15:42.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:11   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@ampere - better to shell out that 20k and have yourself a trusty vehicle - it has evidently given you some excellent usage so it is worth spending on it to keep it in continued good condition.
@frequentflyer - I was casually enquiring about a Fully Loaded Fusion + - TDCi with ABS of 2008 vintage recently from a car dealer - he quoted 5.5 lacs non-negotiable. Around 2-3 days after that I learned that the car had indeed sold, for 5 lacs. Considering that it cost Rs 8 lacs when brand new, thats a pretty steep drop in re-sale.
Leads me to believe that Petrol Fusions of 2005-2006 vintage should be available anywhere between 3 to 4 lacs depending on the condition.

I really liked the Fusion as a car - almost bought a TDCi with ABS in 2008 but grabbed the Scorpio on account of it being bigger with greater space availability. Luckily as it turns out since they 've discontinued Fusion.
Shankar,

Just changed them today! And the car looks as good as new! Yes it was on my head for a long time and then I took the plunge. Really worth it.

Amazing thing is that since the old ones are still working, cant throw them away. I keep them as stock, till I hold the car (Hopefully no situation comes, where I need to use them again)

One another big overhaul of the breaks pending by the next service.