Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th July 2011, 17:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford Fusion: Life Till 55K and beyond. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
4K for Brake pad and rotor
3K for labour

What I heard was that the Fiesta/Fusion brakes are going through modification and hence its not easy to source these parts.The SA was forcing me to come ASAP as he said the brake parts can be claimed any vehicle which comes in.

So any Fusion/Fiesta owners contemplating brake change, need to watch out.
That's pretty expensive! The front right brake (sounds like) of my father's Fusion is squeaking (at a particular brake pressure, not softer or harder). Also the front suspension springs seem to have sagged or the shockers are gone. It bottoms out after crossing speedbreakers, as if it is sitting at near the max compression (with just one or two people on board), while the rear sinks and then recovers smoothly.

The last service was done in Oct, so due for general service as well. Now I'm dreading the bill!

Where do you take your car for service? I'm considering Carnation, cos it is opposite my office building. The car has previously been serviced at Metro Ford opp Koshy's.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 17:48   #77
Team-BHP Support

I always serviced at Metro Ford opposite Koshy's.
(same place where I bought the car).
The electronics is very costly for Ford and that is a known issue.

About the Throttle Sensor:
This is the sensor which decides how much fuel needs to get in based on acceleration
(a vague definition, which I could understand. This is not a text book definition).

Since Jan I had been seeing my FE dropped for the usual 14 to 11-12 in city. Even on the highways I would get only 14
and not the usual 18. When they mentioned this problem on the last service, I thought this might be the cause for FE drop.
Another thing which I noticed was the engine would rev up to 2-2.5K RPM, even at speeds of 60-70. This seemed quite high to me.
I was used to seeing about 1800-2000RPM at 70-80 (My sweet spot for the best FE).

After this fix, I see RPM behaviour back. I hope the FE improves now.

About the brakes:
Here is the break-up
Brake pad : 1000, Disk Rotor (2) : 2100. Labour charges: 1000.

Non-electronic items I think are not that costly at Ford.
But it is the electronics and the labour charges which really are high. Hopefully with Figo it has come down.

My Suspensions are fine as per SA verdict. Seem to be doing well. Odo Reading: 80K.

But with these changes, the car seems to be as fresh as a "newbie"

Last edited by ampere : 6th July 2011 at 17:50.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 10:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
I always serviced at Metro Ford opposite Koshy's.
(same place where I bought the car).
The electronics is very costly for Ford and that is a known issue.

About the Throttle Sensor:
This is the sensor which decides how much fuel needs to get in based on acceleration
(a vague definition, which I could understand. This is not a text book definition).

Since Jan I had been seeing my FE dropped for the usual 14 to 11-12 in city. Even on the highways I would get only 14
and not the usual 18. When they mentioned this problem on the last service, I thought this might be the cause for FE drop.
Another thing which I noticed was the engine would rev up to 2-2.5K RPM, even at speeds of 60-70. This seemed quite high to me.
I was used to seeing about 1800-2000RPM at 70-80 (My sweet spot for the best FE).

After this fix, I see RPM behaviour back. I hope the FE improves now.

About the brakes:
Here is the break-up
Brake pad : 1000, Disk Rotor (2) : 2100. Labour charges: 1000.

Non-electronic items I think are not that costly at Ford.
But it is the electronics and the labour charges which really are high. Hopefully with Figo it has come down.

My Suspensions are fine as per SA verdict. Seem to be doing well. Odo Reading: 80K.

But with these changes, the car seems to be as fresh as a "newbie"
Thanks ampere. I've also read not so good things about Metro Ford on TBHP, so was apprehensive about takin my Dad's car there.

This is a petrol F+, and at 60 it is at a very relaxed 1500-1600rpm. Remains below 2k rpm all the way till 80, which is real good for highway Milage as well as stress free trips.

Sorry bout highjacking your thread. Just keen on inputs from a "seasoned" Fusion owner.

Cheers!!
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 11:32   #79
Team-BHP Support

First of all dont be sorry at all! We rarely see Fusion owners in the first place!
I have pretty decent experience with Metro Ford. No complaints. Services were very satisfactory. Not that they treat you like a king, but decently professional.

I was mentally prepared to pay Ford bills which was initially known. But I guess that is what we need to pay for the Ford DNA.

Even my rides on the highway have been very-very satisfactory.
Old 10th July 2011, 12:17   #80
Team-BHP Support

Detected a slight rattle on the serviced car. Not a rattle per-se, but when I used to floor the accelerator, I used to hear faint dragging noise, as if the tyre was scraping through some thing.

The fact that it used to come only when I floored the gas, I was suspected, it may have something to do with the throttle sensor. Maybe the wiring was touching the tyre. I looked down and I saw the mud-flaps were not fixed. I corrected it right, but the problem remained at large.

Took it back to Metro Ford over the weekend.
The SA said, it had nothing to do with the throttle sensor. Looks like the brake was not mounted well, which picked up the vibration when the vehicle was accelerating. He fixed it up and the issue was resolved. Nothing was charged for this.
Old 11th July 2011, 17:56   #81
BHPian

Hey Amp,

After you gave me the details of the Wiper, I re-checked with both Metro and Cauvery Ford. The price quoted was around 1.5K/- for front and rear wipers including labour and taxes.

I decided to try my luck with BOSCH wipers this time around. Got the wipers for the front windsheild 22" and 16" for Rs.300/- including fitting (without a bill though!) from Adiga Automotives opposite PESIT engineering college. I am quite happy with their performance. Will get the 12" rear wiper some other time. I don't think it will cost me more than Rs.200/- if I go for BOSCH ones.

This is just FYI.
naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 09:45   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
Hey Amp,

After you gave me the details of the Wiper, I re-checked with both Metro and Cauvery Ford. The price quoted was around 1.5K/- for front and rear wipers including labour and taxes.

I decided to try my luck with BOSCH wipers this time around. Got the wipers for the front windsheild 22" and 16" for Rs.300/- including fitting (without a bill though!) from Adiga Automotives opposite PESIT engineering college. I am quite happy with their performance. Will get the 12" rear wiper some other time. I don't think it will cost me more than Rs.200/- if I go for BOSCH ones.

This is just FYI.
Hey thanks for the info. That is quite a huge difference in the pricing.
Are there any more places nearby Indiranagar/Koramangala/MG areal locations? Because one needs to drive all the way till PESIT ORR.

Also how is the performance?
Old 12th July 2011, 17:44   #83
BHPian

Hey Amp,

I am pretty sure there are outlets which sell BOSCH spares in the areas you are looking. However not all are listed on the BOSCH website.

Have you tried looking at the thread on BOSCH wipers in Bangalore? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-drive-35.html

I found the Adiga auto guy from that thread.

With regards to performance, I got to use it only once in rain and it was ok. This was within the city at night and I had no problems. The stock 22" wiper that was on my car before had extra weight on one side which is not there in the BOSCH one. So, there might be some difference, but it may not affect our kinda usage.

Given the price at which these come, you can always replace them if performance is not to your liking.

Let me know if you need any help!. Happy riding.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 21:06   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info. That is quite a huge difference in the pricing.
Are there any more places nearby Indiranagar/Koramangala/MG areal locations? Because one needs to drive all the way till PESIT ORR.

Also how is the performance?
You can get it from Sachin's Auto Shoppe in Koramangala (the lane just before Bosch when driving towards Forum). Got a set for my Santro 3yrs back and touchwood they still function smoothly (almost as new). Got a set for my erstwhile Fusion a couple months back and they were good as well. Difficult to get parking there, so i picked it up and installed them myself.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 06:17   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
You can get it from Sachin's Auto Shoppe in Koramangala (the lane just before Bosch when driving towards Forum). Got a set for my Santro 3yrs back and touchwood they still function smoothly (almost as new). Got a set for my erstwhile Fusion a couple months back and they were good as well. Difficult to get parking there, so i picked it up and installed them myself.
I know that shop. Been there a couple of times. Got seat covers for Fusion changed their.
I also got my Blaupunkt Aux-cable from him. But did not know he deals with wipers also! Thanks for sharing that.

PS: What better shop for Bosh wipers, than a neighbourhood of the bosh office!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 18:42   #86
BHPian

Hey Amp,

Nice to see a happy Fusion owner. Am contemplating on buying a used Fusion 2006 model run about 65K. The owner quoting 2.8L. Is it a good buy.
This model does not have ABS/AirBags. How is your experience with braking on Fusion.

Did go through your ownership experience and it truly feels that Fusion in indeed a no-nonsense car. The FE figures you are getting is amazing. But when I checked with the owner he said he gets only 9.5 - 10.5 kmpl. What could be the issue ? throttle sensor.

Should I go ahead with the deal. The exterior condition of the car is good except couple of scratches on the bumper and the rear wheel fender.

Your ownership thread has given me confidence to go with this deal. Any inputs would be highly appreciated.
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:16   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Hey Amp,

Nice to see a happy Fusion owner. Am contemplating on buying a used Fusion 2006 model run about 65K. The owner quoting 2.8L. Is it a good buy.
This model does not have ABS/AirBags. How is your experience with braking on Fusion.

Did go through your ownership experience and it truly feels that Fusion in indeed a no-nonsense car. The FE figures you are getting is amazing. But when I checked with the owner he said he gets only 9.5 - 10.5 kmpl. What could be the issue ? throttle sensor.

Should I go ahead with the deal. The exterior condition of the car is good except couple of scratches on the bumper and the rear wheel fender.

Your ownership thread has given me confidence to go with this deal. Any inputs would be highly appreciated.
Sorry for the late response and thanks for your comments.

Fusion is definitely good from a space and power point of view.
Even spare parts wont be an issue, as the Fiesta classic continues. Most spares are shared with old Fiesta. Initially the doubt was if the new Fiesta rolls in and old one goes off the shelf then getting spares would have been difficult. But since that is not the case, spares should not be a problem.

As regards to braking, I did not face any major issue with them without ABS/Airbags. Another reason may be that I dont drive too fast. Even on highways I stick to 90-100 max and that with good clarity of view on the highway.

On the FE front: Now my FE in the city has reduced to 10-11 due of frequent short distances within the city. But having said that, I have not seen my FE rise on the highways even after the throttle sensor fix. Not sure about it why. On the highways now I manage 14-16 and not 18-20, which I used to do earlier without AC. (Signs of aging?)

But you need to be aware that with age and more wear and tear, the service cost should go really up. From that point of view, it may not be worth buying it. And Ford labour costs are also very high.

So to summarize:
1. From a car and performance, spares availability point, yes can go ahead.
2. But from a service cost point of view you should not as they are bound to go up.

But yes, it IS one amazing no-nonsense car.
Even after 6+ years I enjoy every moment of its ownership and look forward to a drive!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:41   #88
BHPian

Talking re: Ford Fusion: Life Till 55K and beyond. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:

So to summarize:
1. From a car and performance, spares availability point, yes can go ahead.
2. But from a service cost point of view you should not as they are bound to go up.

But yes, it IS one amazing no-nonsense car.
Even after 6+ years I enjoy every moment of its ownership and look forward to a drive!

Hi Ampere,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response.

Now I really have the confidence to go ahead and talk to the owner. I understand that as the car ages, we end up spending little more on the service(I would not mind if it is going to be around 8-10K extra per year for driving such a lovely car ) The only concern I had was the availability of the spares and service.

The car is really maintained well the owner does have lot of passion about it. It is truly worshiped than just being driven is what I can say from the first look and test drive of the car. He did not even offer me to drive and took me a round since he was worried if I rip his car by any chance!!!!

Hopefully if everything goes well, I would be posting my buying experience and the pics of the car before end of this month.

Regards
Ravi
ravikn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:29   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Hopefully if everything goes well, I would be posting my buying experience and the pics of the car before end of this month.
By the way I have now done >80K in this period. Most of it in the city (80%) and some on the highway.
Old 27th August 2011, 23:07   #90
BHPian

I have a Ford Fusion October 2006 and have had a wonderful experience with the car; now at 55k. I am now through with the loan and am planning to sell. There really is no replacement around and everyday I use it I remind myself that one day I will not be driving a car with a commanding driver position and GC of 195 cm. If anybody is interested, I would like to sell it. The price I am quoting is 265000 - the car is in Pune and I have posted some pics in the Classifieds on Team-bhp too. If I do not get the price, I may continue using it as it is good for another few years. I have not had a problem with spares in Pune and I dont think there will be any as the Fiesta Classic is still being sold.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote