Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th August 2011, 11:38   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford Fusion: Life Till 55K and beyond. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I know that shop. Been there a couple of times. Got seat covers for Fusion changed their.
Cool, when did you get the seat covers done? And do you recall the cost?

Got my Dad's Fusion serviced a couple of weeks ago. There were a lot of misc issues, like the side cladding hanging off on both front arches, headlights misaligned, but the major job turned out to be a cracked gearbox mount bush & front brakes. Since the number given to call back was my Dad's, I didn't know that they'd called to say that they were going to replace the front discs & brakepads as well Result - large dent in pocket.

Also the front shock-absorbers were gone and had to be changed. A blown fuse was replaced to get the 12v sockets back online. The rest was general service. They wanted to change the rear shock-absorbers as well, but Dad said not to, because there is no wallow or bounce from the rear - rear was also noticeably well cushioned when compared to the front, earlier.

Alignment was out & car had been serviced last in Oct last year, so full fluid and filter change was carried out.

Running MUCH better, and major expenses are out of the way, hopefully.

Now I have to get the seatcovers replaced as the current ones are a bit old and looking a bit ragged. The cloth on the doors is also hanging loose. I was quoted 5k for just re-doing those (which can only be done in leather, apparently). Any experience with that?
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:56   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Now I have to get the seatcovers replaced as the current ones are a bit old and looking a bit ragged. The cloth on the doors is also hanging loose. I was quoted 5k for just re-doing those (which can only be done in leather, apparently). Any experience with that?
Velu, Check this thread. They look like a good option and many BHPians got their seat done by them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html (Seat Covers: Imperial INC (Bangalore))

Other good options are Marvin, Ceralli and Ovion
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 13:54   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cool, when did you get the seat covers done? And do you recall the cost?
Wow thats quite a lot of work you got done there!
I am still running on the original suspension.
Brake pads and clutch assembly, changed though.

I did the seat covers 3 years back. Then it costed me about 3.5-4K.
They are not those top of the line seat covers. But the mid-range ones, who just
do the job.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 14:25   #94
BHPian

At 55K, the Fusion does enter middle age and needs a small overhaul. If I do not sell the car, I think I will do a small refurbish costing about 10k too to bring it back to its original state.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 16:02   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
At 55K, the Fusion does enter middle age and needs a small overhaul. If I do not sell the car, I think I will do a small refurbish costing about 10k too to bring it back to its original state.
@frequentflyer,

I think the title needs to be edited.
Now the odo reads in excess of 82K!

It still runs in pretty good conditions. No complains as of now.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:50   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@frequentflyer,

I think the title needs to be edited.
Now the odo reads in excess of 82K!

It still runs in pretty good conditions. No complains as of now.
Hi Ampere,

I have been following your thread for a while now, great observation & narration of aspects of your vehicle. I have few questions for you, appreciate your thoughts:

1.) How much has been your overall maintenace till 82k?
2.) On the highways under sedate driving, what is the expected mileage in 80-100 kms/hr range?
3.) What would be the ideal vehicle to buy pre-owned, there are various pieces which has run 40k kms here in Chennai, what all to look out for? (fusion +, single owner)
4.) Maintenance when compared to Baleno, I somehow feel it should be less?

Rgds,
Vinod
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 17:22   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Hi Ampere,

I have been following your thread for a while now, great observation & narration of aspects of your vehicle. I have few questions for you, appreciate your thoughts:

1.) How much has been your overall maintenance till 82k?
2.) On the highways under sedate driving, what is the expected mileage in 80-100 kms/hr range?
3.) What would be the ideal vehicle to buy pre-owned, there are various pieces which has run 40k kms here in Chennai, what all to look out for? (fusion +, single owner)

Rgds,
Vinod
Hi Vinod,

Let me try to answe your questions.

1. Maintenance: I have not added till now.
- Every 6 months give for service (which means the car would have done 6-7K.)
- Each it goes, I get a bill of about 3-5K. (This also includes a 3M interior cleaning for about 1.5K. This keeps the interiors good).
- Main updates:
* 12K/- tyre change at 40K Km Odo
* 20K/- after 60K Odo service,
* 7K/- for two battery changes, (third and the sixth year of ownership)
* 14K/- for clutch plate overhaul and throttle sensor change after 77K on the Odo
* 8K/- Brake disk overhaul at 77K on the Odo

The only main extra spending was 22K for the head lamp unit change.
The stock unit after 75K got fogged out. The material got corroded.
My car is not parked in a closed parking and hence this may be the result.

2. FE On the highways with sedate driving I have up to 20 (without AC) on 4L and SH/NH it rounds about 16-18.
In city I used get 12-14 depending on time of the day.

But having said that I have noticed that my FE has gone done in the last year.
20 has gone down to 16. That can also due to driving in three digit speeds.

3. On pre-owned: Since the Fiesta classic as a product survives, Fusion would a good one to buy. Fusion shares many of it spares with Fiesta classic.
If you can get ABS version, that would be also be good. I done have ABS in mine.

4. On comparison to Baleno: Definitely Baleno should be cheaper. Any Maruti would be easier to maintain.
Ford costs are higher esp. labor costs.
Old 10th September 2011, 11:17   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
2. FE On the highways with sedate driving I have up to 20 (without AC) on 4L and SH/NH it rounds about 16-18.
In city I used get 12-14 depending on time of the day.
Wanted to share some surprisingly good FE figures that my Dad gets from his Fusion.

In city he gets between 10 & 14!! He has modified his driving style, because the throttle doesn't have to be wrung to get reasonable performance.

This Monday we drove to Coimbatore, and the FE starting from RSI near MG Road where he refueled, till Ondipudur Shanti Gears where we tanked up again was over 17kmpl!!!

PS. This is a petrol 1.6

Quote:
4. On comparison to Baleno: Definitely Baleno should be cheaper. Any Maruti would be easier to maintain.
Ford costs are higher esp. labor costs.
Agree here, but the difference will not be too much if we compare a Fusion with a Baleno. Maruti labour costs go up with the price of the car

Last edited by VeluM : 10th September 2011 at 11:35.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 14:21   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Hi Ampere,

1.) How much has been your overall maintenace till 82k?

Rgds,
Vinod

Ford Fusion is a fine vehicle but Ford costs r lower than say a Skoda or a VW car, although higher than Maruti.

My FF at 55k has the following major expenses

The entire silencer assembly 12000 due to corrosion and a leak at about 25k

Tyres at about 45k =12k, I use Nitrogen for the tyres.

New battery after four years and nine months from Ford =3k (old sold for Rs 320)

Regular servicing from the same dealer helps reduce parts change. I clean it from inside once in two years and since I use the AC mostly, the car remains clean. Service costs are not over 3k each time.

Also had to change the right side mirror and the rear glass once each - but that was not the car's fault. Also rear logo and letters stolen once and had to replace them.

I would say the Ford Fusion is a value for money car and for highways with its great Ground Clearance of 198 mm (unmatched), it is the best 1.6 litre petrol. I get 15 km or so on highways and 11 or so in the city. But my AC is mostly on.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 22:15   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wanted to share some surprisingly good FE figures that my Dad gets from his Fusion.

In city he gets between 10 & 14!! He has modified his driving style, because the throttle doesn't have to be wrung to get reasonable performance.

This Monday we drove to Coimbatore, and the FE starting from RSI near MG Road where he refueled, till Ondipudur Shanti Gears where we tanked up again was over 17kmpl!!!

Agree here, but the difference will not be too much if we compare a Fusion with a Baleno. Maruti labour costs go up with the price of the car
@Velu. I have been seeing similar numbers for the last 6+ years!
Highest I got was 20kmpl on GQ between Bangalore and Salem (where I re-fueled before starting from Munnar).
Default numbers are between 15 to 18 depending on AC usage and higher speeds. But I hit the 70-80 its always higher than 18 else, comes down to 15-16.
Once I also dipped 14 on the a highway due to consistent speed around three digits.

In the city its always 12-14 depending the time of usage.
I don't use AC much in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Ford Fusion is a fine vehicle but Ford costs r lower than say a Skoda or a VW car, although higher than Maruti.

My FF at 55k has the following major expenses

The entire silencer assembly 12000 due to corrosion and a leak at about 25k

Tyres at about 45k =12k, I use Nitrogen for the tyres.

New battery after four years and nine months from Ford =3k (old sold for Rs 320)

Regular servicing from the same dealer helps reduce parts change. I clean it from inside once in two years and since I use the AC mostly, the car remains clean. Service costs are not over 3k each time.

Also had to change the right side mirror and the rear glass once each - but that was not the car's fault. Also rear logo and letters stolen once and had to replace them.

I would say the Ford Fusion is a value for money car and for highways with its great Ground Clearance of 198 mm (unmatched), it is the best 1.6 litre petrol. I get 15 km or so on highways and 11 or so in the city. But my AC is mostly on.

@FF, I have seen similar prices for spares. For you it was the silencer, for me it was the throttle sensor!
In fact I expected huge bill for the clutch overhaul also, but it did not turn out that much (8-9K).

The other big ticket item was change of head lamp unit for 22K.
This I guess is my own doing, as the car is always parked in open (both at home and at office).
I don't have a choice there as my covered slot at home is not big enough to hold a Fusion.
Though I am not sure if extreme exposure to sun light can corrode the head lamp unit material.

Overall yes a great VFM offer. Also in a true sense its a no-nonsense car!
Old 10th September 2011, 23:50   #101
BANNED

I have driven for around 2500 kms from delhi to bangalore in my fusion tdci and i reached bangalore consuming diesel costing rs. 4500. That makes it around 105 liters of diesel. Also this mileage was with 3 fat blokes in the car plus about 160 kgs of luggage and 100% AC use. Gosh, i love this car much more than my fiesta (now classic!). The only grudges i have are with some of the interior plastics and the miserness of ford in providing basic creature comforts. And yea one more thing, small front seats!

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 10th September 2011 at 23:51.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 02:27   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I have driven for around 2500 kms from delhi to bangalore in my fusion tdci and i reached bangalore consuming diesel costing rs. 4500. That makes it around 105 liters of diesel. Also this mileage was with 3 fat blokes in the car plus about 160 kgs of luggage and 100% AC use. Gosh, i love this car much more than my fiesta (now classic!). The only grudges i have are with some of the interior plastics and the miserness of ford in providing basic creature comforts. And yea one more thing, small front seats!
Yes plastics are that great. Barely can pass the functionality test.
My paper holder storage compartment in the dash broke. Ford service guys quoted a price of 8K to fix it.
I put a tape and sealed that compartment.

Mileage in petrol is typically good. Best part is the ground clearance and visibly of the road.
No sedan can match that. I sincerely hope Ford brings in the Ecopsport.
Thats the only one, which will make me forget this current ride, when its my time to change.

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2011 at 02:28.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:08   #103
BANNED

Quote:

Yes plastics are that great. Barely can pass the functionality test.
My paper holder storage compartment in the dash broke. Ford service guys quoted a price of 8K to fix it.
I put a tape and sealed that compartment.

Mileage in petrol is typically good. Best part is the ground clearance and visibly of the road.
No sedan can match that. I sincerely hope Ford brings in the Ecopsport.
Thats the only one, which will make me forget this current ride, when its my time to change.
My glove box is showing tantrums while closing. Its not entirely the car's fault as the glove box was removed once in a rather disturbing fashion by a south city ford mechanic and has been showing tantrums ever since. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it refuses to lock into place unless adjusted towards the left. Must get it adjusted or replaced.

Btw i agree with all of your points ever mentioned on this thread. I am an avid reader of this thread here.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 10:41   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
My glove box is showing tantrums while closing. Its not entirely the car's fault as the glove box was removed once in a rather disturbing fashion by a south city ford mechanic and has been showing tantrums ever since. Sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it refuses to lock into place unless adjusted towards the left. Must get it adjusted or replaced.

Btw i agree with all of your points ever mentioned on this thread. I am an avid reader of this thread here.
Thanks Mustang for the complement. And also sorry the typo in my previous post. I meant "Plastics are NOT that great"!

Thankfully my glovebox is still intact!
Old 11th September 2011, 12:11   #105
BHPian

Fusion is a unique styled car in the class and has no alternative.Regular Service parts are not costly, but if you manage to break some thing then it will put a whole in your pocket.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote