Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th September 2011, 16:56   #436
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Cara Mia Fiat Linea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Welcome back sir,and here is a pic of your linea i clicked in Chandigarh
Thanks, akshay4587. The most appropriate thread for your post is here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2521975 (Team-BHP Stickers are here! Post sightings & pics of them on your car)
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 18:20   #437
BHPian

Kamaal hai Akshay Bhai !

Who tipped you off of a Linea from Bangalore is reaching at your place at such night time at such a road, stopped at traffic to enable a snap?

Pentagon or Scotland Yard ?
Sunney is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 19:35   #438
BHPian

Welcome back sir. Apart from the travelogue need your tips on how yo took care of your health, managed with minimal sleep etc. Eagerly waiting for the log. Hats off to you, your wife and the car for this phenomenal achievement. If I am Fiat, I would publish your log in all magazines and spread good words about Linea,
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 19:38   #439
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back! Glad to know you had a successful and safe journey - can't wait for the travelogue
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 23:43   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Leh Expedition Final Update
Thanks, autohead, for nice words. My Linea bottom-scraped more than 50 times during the Leh expedition. But, no damages. I got the engine guard bend flattened at FIAT dealership at Amritsar and Srinagar and my Linea became as quiet and normal as before!
I am extremely paranoid about my car scraping its bottom, that's one reason which is keeping me from buying a Linea MJD, its GC is 161 as against 165 of the Linea FIRE, I cant imagine how an MJD would've coped with such road conditions. I heard about Linea having good engine protection, what was the max speed at which you had scraped/hit the bottom and were there any sharp object at those speeds ? just wanted to know the severest impact your car had survived
autohead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 08:54   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Apart from the travelogue need your tips on how yo took care of your health, managed with minimal sleep etc.
Thank you once again, prabhuferrari. We used to drink plenty of water to keep us hydrated apart from basic vegetarian food like tava/tandoori roti with dal fry. I used to take power naps at petrol pumps or well-lit toll plazas en route to keep me concentrate on my marathon driving. So, no drugs, no Diamox, nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
can't wait for the travelogue
Thanks a lot, once again, anekho. I shall start writing my travelogue soon.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 28th September 2011 at 08:57.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 12:34   #442
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead View Post
I am extremely paranoid about my car scraping its bottom, that's one reason which is keeping me from buying a Linea MJD, its GC is 161 as against 165 of the Linea FIRE, I cant imagine how an MJD would've coped with such road conditions. I heard about Linea having good engine protection,
hi autohead. Please do not stay away from the Linea for the sole reason of ground clearance. What I have done in mine is just change the tire size from 195/65 R15 and have gained 10mm increase in radius. Have never scrapped anywhere till date. More details of the up-size in this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2261505

Moreover, Ravi sir has done this trip in the stock tires and similar to him, a friend of mine in Coimbatore had done Coimbatore to Bhutan in his Linea MJD and that too on stock tires. He did scrape the bottom on few occations but then, the Linea has a lot more in it than GC.

Last edited by h14 : 28th September 2011 at 12:39.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 13:44   #443

Quote:
what was the max speed at which you had scraped/hit the bottom and were there any sharp object at those speeds ? just wanted to know the severest impact your car had survived
My Linea bottom-scraped more than 50 times during the Leh expedition, all in the first gear with less than 10 kmph speed! But, there has been no damages whatsoever to my Linea. All the impacts have been absorbed by her sturdy engine guard plate, which gets bent during severe impact. My Linea got serviced at Automobile Kapoor's, Amritsar [free of cost!] and at Fairdeal Motors, Srinagar and she was normal after that. I am told even Ford Endeavour bottom-scraped at the treacherous Zozilla roads.
Old 28th September 2011, 15:28   #444
BHPian

MJD and driving:

As MJD owner for 9 months and driven from Kochi to Bangalore, Chitradurga to Hampi and back in record time, I will share few aspects on the car.

Linea is basically a sturdy and very comfortable car at surprisingly low running cost(much cheaper per km than Fire petrol). Feather-like at good roads.

The bottom plate is a flat big plate covering much of bottom. It covers the LOWEST protruding part,(though few parts are that low), hence it is the lowest part, and a flat one, become scrapped often. It is made to scrap...

IF NO BOTTOM PLATE, the lowest protruding part alone will be scrapped, but at very rare incident of it exactly come in the position of the projecting part of road, thus we may avoid most of scrapping like all cars.

With this/such cars we must change our driving habit a bit. We have to think we are driving in Europe !
And 'I am driving a comfortable car, no Lorry' kind of driving mentality to be adopted.
At good roads 'fly'(within speed limits), but at bad patches be slight careful. When own and drive, within 5000 kms one will pick this driving habit.
FACT: We drive at bad roads may be less than 5%,. For the 5% kms, should we buy a 'lorry', with stiff suspension, guzzling fuel, which 'may not' scrap at even ghat roads !

I studied many vehicles with Linea: MK2, Scorpio, Endeavor, Bolero.... all.
At last chose her considering the above fact !

I am not upset, because I want a cheap-running, beautiful, strong VFM car with brain: I COMPROMISE TO TAKE CARE AT BAD ROADS AND HUMPS...

Within 12000 kms, I scrapped about 10 times, that was within the first 3000 kms, the 'conditioning time'.

Now Raviji proven she can scale even Everest !
Sunney is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 23:05   #445
BHPian

All of your experiences are very reassuring thanks for sharing the same

I don't know about admiration but its for sure Linea does invoke a lot of passion !

We have changed the tyres of my friend's MJD to 195/65 R15, but i found that higher profile has taken the edge-off the Lineas Handling, steering feels wooly and body roll has increased due to higher profile, Instead I am toying with the idea of going for 205/55 R16 Just as the T-Jet which should result in higher GC as well as retain the sharpness, but i am not sure if i will be able to get 16" Alloys with 98 pcd

Ravi sir's posts have made me a complete convert and now H14 & Sunney's reply seems like final rites for my Baptism to FIAT'ism.

Tomorrow i will be taking the test drive vehicle to tackle one of the humps which i dread the most on the way to my native place, I will try to take some snaps and post them.
autohead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 09:10   #446
BHPian

Quote:
All of your experiences are very reassuring thanks for sharing the same

We have changed the tyres of my friend's MJD to 195/65 R15, but i found that higher profile has taken the edge-off the Lineas Handling, steering feels wooly and body roll has increased due to higher profile, Instead I am toying with the idea of going for 205/55 R16 Just as the T-Jet which should result in higher GC as well as retain the sharpness, but i am not sure if i will be able to get 16" Alloys with 98 pcd

Ravi sir's posts have made me a complete convert and now H14 & Sunney's reply seems like final rites for my Baptism to FIAT'ism.

Tomorrow i will be taking the test drive vehicle to tackle one of the humps which i dread the most on the way to my native place, I will try to take some snaps and post them.
1. It is better NOT to alter any car, esp. Linea. Max. change to alloy wheels, that too Mfr. approved ones. If not it affects the whole car and driving comfort.
Instead what I suggest TO ALL is pick up a better driving habit of: SLOWING AT BAD PATCHES and CAREFULLY PASSING HUMPS, by dragging than jumping over. A EUROPEAN IF DRIVE IN INDIA WILL DO SAME

2. Linea Test-driving on a hump? MOST UNSCIENTIFIC method of test driving a Linea ! At least do not try 'Lorrying' or 'Boleroing' on a high hump: you will be out of chance of owning a comfortable, beauty of a car, I bet !
But try speeding on a smooth road, feel the comfort, then slow down and 'roll-over' any high hump: you will love her...
Sunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 11:21   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

You have reignited my dream of driving my Punto to 18000+ feet above MSL.
Now that you have completed this expedition, you can give me valuable feedback.
I would want to meet you sometime for sure.
Eagerly waiting for you travelogue...
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 11:50   #448
BHPian

We want the Leh travelogue ... Till that time J.Ravi is banned from putting a single word anywhere in the forum ... Orders from high command
vikrantj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 14:58   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Eagerly waiting for you travelogue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
We want the Leh travelogue ... Till that time J.Ravi is banned from putting a single word anywhere in the forum ... Orders from high command
Thanks a lot, hemanth.anand and vikrantj, for kind words. My travelogue has been moved to Assembly Line although I am for bringing it fresh.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 17:19   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Eagerly waiting for you travelogue..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
We want the Leh travelogue.
Now, my travelogue titled Leh in a Linea has been moved to travelogue section on my request. Hope, you will enjoy going through it.