Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th November 2013, 12:44   #766
BHPian

Default Re: Maintenance Cost @ Rs 1.42/km

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The routine maintenance cost of my Linea is Attachment 11637971.42 per km at 70,994 km

Thanks Ravi ji. Would you ever look at FNG options for minor repairs? Are you in favour of getting parts OTC and replacing them at FNGs? I am asking as a guideline and as a 1.2 owner!

In NCR, we have quite a few service outlets these days, but, I doubt if they understand the nitty gritties of the unpopular petrol as good as the diesel, especially for the 1.2 mill! The service charges too, are not standardized across workshops.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 13:09   #767
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Maintenance Cost @ Rs 1.42/km

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Are you in favour of getting parts OTC and replacing them at FNGs?
I am happy with the service rendered by Ramkay FIAT, Chennai, notwithstanding their high labour cost. They stock all essential spares and accessories. Their workshop is very spacious. The staff have the right attitude and are customer-friendly. So, I am patronizing with them. The 3 dealers in Bangalore did not have the timing belt and other important spares during my Linea's sixth servicing at 62 k km. Added to that, one of them was rude and the other two were indifferent. So, I am sticking on with Ramkay FIAT for my Linea's servicing. Having said that, for minor repairs and DIY jobs, we can get the spares and accessories from 99rpm.com and get the work done by outside private garages or DIY. I bought logos and monograms from them when my Linea lost her rear 'Emotion' monogram and fixed it myself. Many dealers refuse to sell the spares and accessories OTC. Some even go to the extent of charging labour even if we buy OTC. Perhaps, FIAT India is aware of this fact and turn a Nelson's eye on these sad development after divorce from Tata Motors. Earlier, I used to buy spares and consumables from Concorde Motors, Bangalore, OTC. Not an easy thing nowadays. One requires influence even for buying things OTC!
J.Ravi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 12:19   #768

Default Cara Mia Fiat Linea's Journeys At A Glance

Here are my Linea's journeys in the last 4 years at a glance.

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-1a.jpg
J.Ravi is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 11:22   #769

Default Battery Needs Replacement

It's update time.

Today morning, when I started my Linea, she displayed 'Air Bag Failure - Check Handbook' message although she started at the very first cranking. The message did not appear during the subsequent cranking naturally as the battery got charged. However, after an hour or so, I checked again. These were the voltages, which changed frequently.

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-1.jpg

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-2.jpg

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-3.jpg

As per this chart, I have to get the battery checked.

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-readyreckoner.jpg

Since my Linea's factory-fitted battery served for more than 4 years/72 k km, it's time for the new comer! My Linea will have a new battery soon.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 14:03   #770
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Battery Needs Replacement

Quote:
It's update time.
Since my Linea's factory-fitted battery served for more than 4 years/72 k km, it's time for the new comer! My Linea will have a new battery soon.
Well, your battery has lasted quite long. Barely 2 years in the airbag failure warning started showing on my 1.4EP Punto. By the time the car was 3 years old the warning came on everyday's 1st crank. We finally changed in about 3 yrs and 30000kms in.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 15:51   #771
BHPian

Default Re: Cara Mia Fiat Linea!

So if a battery is weak , Is airbag failure message the first warning to indicate it ?
or, is there any other warning that we can expect ?

I am asking this because, my dad's linea takes more than 2 cranks to start nowadays and no warning yet as said. I am sure that the battery is weak as it was not changed since 2009 when the car was bought.

Planning to change the battery ASAP anyway.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 17:59   #772

Smile My Linea Gets New Amaron Battery

A few hours ago, my Linea got a brand new November 2013-manufactured Amaron Flo 45 Ah battery costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 2610
Size:  578 Bytes 4750 from Battery House, 162, TTK Road, Royapettah, Chennai 600 014. Originally, I was quoted Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes4800, but when I mentioned Battery Bhai's price, the price was reduced to Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes4750. Hope, my Linea will not throw any more tantrums at me!

The outgoing Exide battery that served me for more than 4 years and 71 k km:

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-image0056.jpg

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-amaron45ah.jpg

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-dsc01184.jpg

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-dsc01185.jpg

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-dsc01186.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
So if a battery is weak , Is airbag failure message the first warning to indicate it ?
Air bag failure warning is one among the many tantrums thrown by the new generation FIATs!

Quote:
or, is there any other warning that we can expect ?
Check engine warning with icon.

Quote:
I am asking this because, my dad's linea takes more than 2 cranks to start nowadays and no warning yet as said.
Better get it checked by a battery dealer, and then, decide.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 18:15   #773
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Linea Gets New Amaron Battery

Quote:
A few hours ago, my Linea got a brand new November 2013-manufactured Amaron Flo 45 Ah battery costing 4750 from Battery House, 162, TTK Road, Royapettah, Chennai 600 014. Originally, I was quoted 4800, but when I mentioned Battery Bhai's price, the price was reduced to 4750. Hope, my Linea will not throw any more tantrums at me!

The outgoing Exide battery that served me for more than 4 years and 71 k km:
Didnt want to go in for a higher capacity battery??
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 18:26   #774

Default Re: My Linea Gets New Amaron Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Didnt want to go in for a higher capacity battery??
The outgoing battery had a rating of 44 Ah and the new-comer has a rating of 45 Ah, which is sufficient for my requirements.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 04:06   #775

Smile Chennai To Bangalore Non-Stop

My Linea brought me and wife safely and comfortably to our Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 3:15 am today. We left our Chennai Royapettah home last night at 9:30 pm. After a long time, I drove via Chittoor/Kolar route. I found new speed-breakers erected at Chittoor bypass before and after the statue tri-junction. Toll was not collected at Mulabagilu and Hosakote toll plazas. At Sriperumpudur toll plaza, when I gave a Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 2478
Size:  578 Bytes100 note, the toll-collector insisted on exact amount of Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes45 as he did not have change. I said that I too did not have change. He returned the Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes100 note and asked me to pass through without paying the toll! My Linea enjoyed for the first time a toll-free pass-through!

Cara Mia Fiat Linea!-mid.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st December 2013 at 04:09.
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:09   #776
BHPian

I am surprised Ravi ji that your battery lasted so long. My battery started giving those same signals in just two years of operation! Just replaced it with a Exide Maxx battery last week itself!

For the others, there are other symptoms that I have also seen of a weak battery -
1. Boot lid switch not working when engine is on!
2. Entire console going limp when starting the car!
3. Fuel gauge indicating empty at start and then climbing slowly after engine has started!

By the way, I have a query - What was your first tyre change distance? I am almost at 25 k now and think that the stock tyres should now look for a change. They are very noisy and hard (bumpy) nowadays, have very erratic air pressure patterns (day and night variations are quite large).
palitrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:44   #777

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
I am surprised Ravi ji that your battery lasted so long.
My previous vehicles' [MS Omni/Versa] OE batteries too lasted for more than 4 years.

Quote:
What was your first tyre change distance?
I replaced the factory-fitted Good Year GT 3 tyres with the new ones of the same brand at 52 k km.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:27   #778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Today, I test-drove Renault Duster [THP-RXZ-E3 PLUS - 110 PS top variant] at Renault Mysore Road [Trident].
My take : You should wait for the 1.6 MJD Linea and just swap! Thats the best option for you. As regards to lack of features in Duster, yes it a big problem. But the way I look at it, it was not a deal breaker because rest of what it had to offer were more important in my priority list. The way you drive long distances and long hours, an SUV would be good. But I would still vote for the 1.6 MJD for you.

EDIT : Moved your comments on Duster to your thread. I thought it would be better here as my comments were more with respect to Linea.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2013 at 18:28.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 18:45   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My take : You should wait for the 1.6 MJD Linea and just swap! Thats the best option for you.
Thanks a lot, ampere. First of all, I don't want to upgrade within the same model to a different variant. I want to enjoy a whiff of fresh air! Secondly, lots of if's, but's and provided's are involved with FIAT India. I don't know the time-frame of launch of 1.6 MJD Linea. Moreover, ESP and cruise control should be there in the upgrade in addition to the essential features of my Linea [ACC, hand-rest, dead-pedal, speed-sensitive automatic central locking, to name a few]. I don't know, whether 1.6 MJD Linea, if at all launched in India in 2014, will have these features although spy pics showed the cruise control stalk. So, I have decided in favour of XUV500 W8 FWD Opulent Purple!
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 19:02   #780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, I have decided in favour of XUV500 W8 FWD Opulent Purple!
Congrats. Did not know you had already decided. All the best for the new vehicle yet to come!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote