Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th April 2012, 22:08   #556
BHPian

Default re: Cara Mia Fiat Linea! EDIT: 71,700 km and sold!

Wish you a happy trip, Ravi Sir!!!

Was unable to access T-Bhp in the last few days and missed wishing you before you set off.

Sathya_sc's right. My vote for Fiat India's brand ambassador goes to you.

Looking forward to the travelogue!

Enjoy the drive!!!
Sivasankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 09:01   #557
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Do we need international licence to drive in nepal and bhutan?
Thanks, Harshavarthan. We don't require international driving licence for driving to Bhutan, as rightly pointed out by rameshnanda. Our Indian driving licence will be sufficient. Even in Autralia, I drove with my Indian driving licence only. I was told Australian [Victoria State] authorities recognise Indian driving licence for tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Am just amazed by your stamina and your quest for driving and more importantly your passion for cars. Salute your passion and Wishing you good luck.
Thanks a lot, Sathya_sc, for compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Which route did you take ?
Bangalore>Kolar>Chittoor>Tirupati>SriKalahasti>Nai dupeta>Ongole>Guntur>Vijayawada>Rajahmundry>Visakh apatnam>Srikakulam>Ichchapuram>Rambha>Bhubaneshwar >Cuttack>Balasore>Kolkata.
Quote:
What speeds were you maintaining ?
On NH 5, the official speed limit is 100 kmph, which I followed most of the times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Looking forward to the travelogue!
Thanks, Sivasankar. Now, updates only. Travelogue after returning to HQ.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 10:42   #558
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

@J Ravi: Thanks for keeping us all posted despite being on a long drive. Wish you, your wife and your Linea a very pleasant journey to the North East and Bhutan and back. I envy your passion.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 04:42   #559

Default Trip To East & North-East - Update

We [self, wife and Linea] reached Ginger Hotels, Guwahati, at 3:00 am today [18 April 2012]. We left Kolkata at 5:00 pm on day-before-yesterday [16 April 2012]. I took two power naps each of duration 45 and 30 minutes apart from breaks for food and refuelling. I took hell lot of time for driving this 1175 km with poor FE and less average speed, thanks to very bad roads and eternal traffic jam on a 4-lane NH forcing me to drive through rural Bengal to arrive at Siliguri.
Name:  DSC06016.JPG
Views: 996
Size:  58.6 KB
Name:  DSC06018.JPG
Views: 984
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  DSC06019.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  57.4 KB
Name:  DSC06020.JPG
Views: 1013
Size:  57.7 KB
Now, I badly require some good rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Wish you, your wife and your Linea a very pleasant journey to the North East and Bhutan and back.
Thanks a lot, Durango Dude, for your kind wishes.
J.Ravi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 10:41   #560
Senior - BHPian

Ravi Ji. I was very frequently checking your thread yesterday looking for some update. I was really wondering why there was no update from you. At that time, I didn't knew that you were indeed in a marathan drive.

You are indeed a real Brand Ambassador for the Fiat.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 10:42   #561
Senior - BHPian

Great going Ravi Sir. One friendly advise, don't stretch yourself too much. I am very well aware that you are quite capable of refreshing yourself with short naps, but then a drive of 1000+ kms in one go deserves some good amount of rest, not just for you but your car & your better half.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 21:10   #562
BHPian

Hats off to you Ravi sir. I know how difficult it is to drive 1000+ km in a day and you have done it twice already.You set new standards for us to beat.
All the best for your maiden voyage across NE India.
Just a question though, are you by any chance visiting Arunachal Pradesh as well ? Because I heard that one needs to get permits to enter that state.
rohittunga is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 05:30   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Just a question though, are you by any chance visiting Arunachal Pradesh as well ? Because I heard that one needs to get permits to enter that state.
Although Tawang is in my wish list, I am not driving there now. Permit from the state government is required to visit Arunachal Pradesh and additional special permit from the army authority is required to visit Tawang. We will be leaving for Kaziranga National Park by 8 am today. After staying there for a couple of nights, we will be proceeding to Shillong [3 nights]. From Shillong, we will go to Bhutan [5 nights]. From Bhutan, we will return home via Bhubaneshwar [2 nights].
Old 19th April 2012, 08:49   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Although Tawang is in my wish list, I am not driving there now. Permit from the state government is required to visit Arunachal Pradesh and additional special permit from the army authority is required to visit Tawang. We will be leaving for Kaziranga National Park by 8 am today. After staying there for a couple of nights, we will be proceeding to Shillong [3 nights]. From Shillong, we will go to Bhutan [5 nights]. From Bhutan, we will return home via Bhubaneshwar [2 nights].
You are doing it again Raviji,
The inspiring aspect in your adventure is, you a voluntary-retired doing all this action, which is supposed to be a youngsters fiefdom !

I wonder after 'finishing India' what is the next feat??
'To London by Linea"?
Well, not an impossible feat though !
Sunney is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 18:50   #565

Arrived safely at Wild Grass, Kohora near Kaziranga National Park.
Name:  DSC06109.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  92.7 KB
Name:  DSC06110.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  90.7 KB
Name:  DSC06111.JPG
Views: 906
Size:  93.3 KB
Name:  DSC06112.JPG
Views: 898
Size:  88.7 KB
My Linea has already covered 3443 km in this trip so far.
Name:  DSC06113.JPG
Views: 924
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  DSC06114.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  85.8 KB
Name:  DSC06115.JPG
Views: 879
Size:  92.9 KB
Name:  DSC06116.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  92.6 KB
In the afternoon, enjoyed a thrilling jeep safari and sighted many one-horned rhinos, elephants, deers, etc. Here is a sample photograph:
Name:  DSC06174.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  111.1 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
I wonder after 'finishing India' what is the next feat?
Thanks, Sunney. After Bhutan, my wish list includes Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan!
Old 19th April 2012, 18:57   #566
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trip To East & North-East - Update

Quote:
In the afternoon, enjoyed a thrilling jeep safari and sighted many one-horned rhinos, elephants, deers, etc. Here is a sample photograph:
Great to see a Rhino in its wild environs. I believe Kaziranga is known for its Rhinos. But just one photograph won't do, we want loads of them. And where are the elephants, deers etc?

You covered 3443 km in this trip so far, this is in how many days? When I did my Guj-Raj-Delhi-MP-Mah trip in 2010, I took 12 long days to cover 3.5K kms.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 19th April 2012 at 18:59.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 19:09   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Sunney. After Bhutan, my wish list includes Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan!
PAKISTAN ?
Think many times !
Sunney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 11:47   #568
BHPian

Amazing spirit. All the best to you Ravi. Enjoy your journey and be safe. Since you take such off beat roads maybe you should go for GC upgrade kit. Or have you?
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 18:51   #569

The City Of Joy turned out to be the City Of Sorrow for my Linea on 14 April 2012 early morning. While entering Kolkata around 4:30 am, my Linea was made to run over a pothole due to congestion and I heard a bang. First, I thought it was just like other usual bang when I drive over potholes and craters. But, that was not to be. My Linea started making loud noise whenever I drove her over rough road. I didn't want to take risk in driving her for the remaining part of the trip. Since it was a Bengali new year day, all the service centres were closed. Lexus Motors informed me that they worked for half day on Sunday too, but there were fully booked. My Linea got her appointment for Monday [16 April 2012]. In the meanwhile, I had gone through the terms and conditions of the extended warranty for suspension, which will be valid upto 35 k km. Since my Linea just clocked 40 k km, I knew that I had to spend from my pocket.

On 16 April 2012, I checked out of Hotel Trimoorti at 8:30 am and directly drove to Lexus Motors with bag and baggage reaching there by 9:45 am. My Linea was immediately attended to. Later, I was told what I had already guessed: the LHS shock-absorber, both the elastic pads and caps were to be replaced. When I enquired about GC upgrade kit, I was told that they were expecting one kit by next month. The SA informed me that they had all the spares in stock and I would be getting my Linea back before 12 noon. I informed the SA about my trip and my intention of driving from there to Guwahati and requested him to return my Linea fully repaired ASAP.

Self and wife were sitting in the crowded customers' lounge. After half hour or so, I was told the bad news: they had two shocks in stock and both were RHS ones! So, a person was sent to get a LHS shock-absorber from their another service station. When the bad news comes, it won't come alone. The main road where Lexus Motors service station was located had come to a standstill because of a traffic jam and nobody got a clue as to when it would be cleared. The SA told me that I would be getting back my Linea only after 3 pm. So, we continued our sitting in the customers' lounge and had many rounds of tea. Our lunch on that day comprised Marie biscuits and Tropicana fruit juice that we had carried with us.

When I contacted the SA at 2:30 pm, he informed me that spares were yet to reach. But, the silver lining on the otherwise dark clouds was, I was assured that I would get my Linea on that day itself come what may.

Finally, the spares arrived by 3:30 pm. They were installed immediately by a group of mechanics. I was asked to accompany the mechanic for a TD. My Linea was back to normal condition. My Linea was washed and handed over to me. I paid the amount by credit card without any extra charges. We left Lexus Motors by 5 pm for Guwahati.

Name:  DSC06488.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  68.6 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
And where are the elephants, deers etc?
They will be figuring in my exclusive travelogue thread that I would be writing after my returning home.
Quote:
You covered 3443 km in this trip so far, this is in how many days?
Nine days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Since you take such off beat roads maybe you should go for GC upgrade kit. Or have you?
I asked for it at Lexus Motors, Kolkata. But, I was told that they would be getting one kit by next month. After knowing my east and north-eastern trip, the SA suggested that I could get it done during my return trip. But, my Linea's front suspension has already been changed. So, I am not going in for GC upgrade kit.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 20th April 2012 at 19:07.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 19:08   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The City Of Joy turned out to be the City Of Sorrow for my Linea on 14 April 2012 early morning. While entering Kolkata around 4:30 am, my Linea was made to run over a pothole due to congestion and I heard a bang. First, I thought it was just like other usual bang when I drive over potholes and craters. But, that was not to be. My Linea started making loud noise whenever I drove her over rough road. I didn't want to take risk in driving her for the remaining part of the trip. Since it was a Bengali new year day, all the service centres were closed. Lexus Motors informed me that they worked for half day on Sunday too, but there were fully booked. My Linea got her appointment for Monday [16 April 2012]. In the meanwhile, I had gone through the terms and conditions of the extended warranty for suspension, which will be valid upto 35 k km. Since my Linea just clocked 40 k km, I knew that I had to spend from my pocket.

On 16 April 2012, I checked out of Hotel Trimoorti at 8:30 am and directly drove to Lexus Motors with bag and baggage reaching there by 9:45 am. My Linea was immediately attended to. Later, I was told what I had already guessed: the LHS shock-absorber, both the elastic pads and caps were to be replaced. .
Oh sorry to hear the bad news Ravi. Dont let this incident dampen the mood.
How big was that pothole ? that it took out the LHS suspension.

The sorry state of spares for FIAT continues, I guess. Nevertheless, you got you car on the same day.

Good luck for the rest of the trip.

Last edited by F150 : 20th April 2012 at 19:09.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote