Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th December 2009, 18:44   #136
BHPian

I will be glad to do so svaid. Here are the changes in my driving style:

1) Upshifted at 2000 rpms, Previously i used to upshift at 2500 rpms
2) Reduced frequent shifting of gears by
a) Remaining in the same gear and avoiding upshifting if i felt that a little ahead i would be braking again owing to traffic stoppages
b) Maintained a constant speed. Didn't unnecessarily accelerate only to decelerate later (point a and b are similar but not same)
3) Switched to Normal Petrol!! Trust me guys, the high octane variant never returned good figures during city driving.
4) Didn't face crawling traffic jams(This is not entirely in our control though)
5) Used a soft foot on the gas pedal. Only Gradual increase in speeds while driving. Also, gradual braking by applying a little forethought.

Well these are the points that i can really put down now. All the above points have been advised previously in this as well as other i10 threads. This time i really tried applying all of them and the results are here to see!
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 21:37   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Guys! An update. Finally my i10 managed a mileage figure of 14 kmpl in the city with 100% AC!!
Nice to hear 14 kmpl in the city with 100% AC.

Quote:
I will be glad to do so svaid. Here are the changes in my driving style:

a) Remaining in the same gear and avoiding upshifting if i felt that a little ahead i would be braking again owing to traffic stoppages
b) Maintained a constant speed. Didn't unnecessarily accelerate only to decelerate later (point a and b are similar but not same)
3) Switched to Normal Petrol!! Trust me guys, the high octane variant never returned good figures during city driving.
4) Didn't face crawling traffic jams(This is not entirely in our control though)
5) Used a soft foot on the gas pedal. Only Gradual increase in speeds while driving. Also, gradual braking by applying a little forethought.

Well these are the points that i can really put down now. All the above points have been advised previously in this as well as other i10 threads. This time i really tried applying all of them and the results are here to see!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sad that i cannot follow any of these as the roads i take are always bumper to bumper. Out of 32 Kms of drive to my office, around 10 kms is where i can go upto 5th gear.
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 23:52   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Nice to hear 14 kmpl in the city with 100% AC.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sad that i cannot follow any of these as the roads i take are always bumper to bumper. Out of 32 Kms of drive to my office, around 10 kms is where i can go upto 5th gear.
That's sad rk_sans. My daily commute is between Bellandur and Doddanekkundi via marathahalli on the outer ring road. So if i do get bumper to bumper traffic, it will be if the service road on which i have to take a turn for my apartment clogs with outgoing traffic from the ecospace IT park!

Recently they repaired and widened the service road and this road has gone from being worse to super! So only occasionally i get stuck.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:27   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Idle RPM

* Fellow owners, what is the idle rpm that you typically see especially on cold start?
* For past some weeks I am either seeing it a tad below 1K RPM on cold start and a a few time slightly above eg 1100 RPM. Cant think of any specific reason for the same.
* I have also observed one more thing. Lets say that you idle RPM is 1K and you drive in bumper to bumper traffic for say half an hour. I have sometimes noticed that after this kind of driving, the idle RPM starts staying above 1K RPM eg 1100 RPM. I tried switching off the AC/headlights to see if it has any kind of impact but invain. Would like to know if anyone else has also observed the same
Following are some pics taken indicating the above RPM conditions using IDLE. I would request fellow owners to keep an eye on idle RPM and in their vehicle and share their experience on this wrt what I am observing. Please bear with the quality as all are taken from mobile cam.

Typically after cold start, a bit higher than 1K RPM for first 10 minutes. Same RPM also observed when the vehicle is driven in bumper to bumper traffic for say half an hour ( involving mostly 1st-2nd gear driving )
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image049.gif

After about 10-15 minutes of drive, a bit below 1K RPM mark
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image035.gif

After about hour of drive
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image051.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Guys,
Any idea what is this red button ?. This is right next to the accelerator pedal. Somehow i forgot to ask the service guys. One my friends i10 also has this button.
Posting pics of the same area near the accelerator pedal. I10 Kappa Sportz - September 2008 doesnt seem to have any such button
Attached Thumbnails
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image078.gif  

i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image102.jpg  

svaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 10:31   #140
BHPian

Default Update on the rattling noise

Hi all, From a past few days i felt that the sound coming from the dashboard had increased! So while driving i placed my hand on the dashboard,on the area between the ganesha idol and the steering and guess what, the sound stopped coming! So at least i am able to do some headway on this.

So, one thing is clear: If i place my hand or anything with some weight on the dashboard, the sound stops. So i wonder i is some kind of vibration due to some loose nut or screw Any idea guys?

Next thing i am going to do is take the car to the service center and tell them the same. Because till now i was waiting to find out from where the sound is coming exactly. Given the threads that i read about this, i felt the hyundai guys may not be able to solve the issue if i didn't pin point it to them!
(They didnt solve it when i had given it for service and when i later pointed out, the guy who handled my service angrily asked me to bring the vehicle and leave it with them!)
Old 8th December 2009, 10:53   #141
BHPian

Quote:
(They didnt solve it when i had given it for service and when i later pointed out, the guy who handled my service angrily asked me to bring the vehicle and leave it with them!)
That is one of the most painful aspects of the ownership experience be it any car. It has already happened with me in context of that rattling noise during the last two services.

It becomes increasingly difficult to spare time again and specifically go for the addressing rattling noise to the workshop unless the issue is really a show stopper - the life in general so much revolves around the mobility of your vehicle that it becomes indispensable to part with even for a few hours.

So while the service center might believe that it comes in good books by offering the customer to come at anytime later for getting the problem addressed; in reality this effectively means that the resolution of the problem might get postponed for as large a duration as the next due service date.

Anyways, Good Luck & do update us when you visit the service center.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:07   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
That is one of the most painful aspects of the ownership experience be it any car. It has already happened with me in context of that rattling noise during the last two services.

It becomes increasingly difficult to spare time again and specifically go for the addressing rattling noise to the workshop unless the issue is really a show stopper - the life in general so much revolves around the mobility of your vehicle that it becomes indispensable to part with even for a few hours.

So while the service center might believe that it comes in good books by offering the customer to come at anytime later for getting the problem addressed; in reality this effectively means that the resolution of the problem might get postponed for as large a duration as the next due service date.

Anyways, Good Luck & do update us when you visit the service center.
Every word you said suits us perfectly svaid. It is for exactly these reasons that i do not want to keep the car there. But i guess i will be forced to. I am going on a long drive on the 26th of december and before that i wish to have it all fixed. I guess i will have to apply leave and go there!
Old 8th December 2009, 11:34   #143
BHPian

hello all,

i am planning for the 1st service this weekend, any ideas what all has to be taken care. I am planning to change the engine oil and i have a strange problem with left passenger side power window, whenever it touches the top(end) it sounds thud so that has to be taken care in the service i suppose.
Mr.Bangalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 11:45   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
hello all,

i am planning for the 1st service this weekend, any ideas what all has to be taken care. I am planning to change the engine oil and i have a strange problem with left passenger side power window, whenever it touches the top(end) it sounds thud so that has to be taken care in the service i suppose.
First service is general checkup, washing and cleaning only. If customer has any specific complaints/requests, then the same would be attended.
So get any issues eg power window sorted out in addition to engine oil change that you desire to get done.

Most of the fellow owners had difficulty in engaging first and reverse gear in new i10s and that was one of the feedback on their first service. Do keep an eye on it.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:45   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
hello all,

Hi

How many Kms has your i10 run?
It would be premature to change the engine oil if your car hasn't run 5k.
1st service is a routine checkup and I doubt whether the service centers does anything in 1st service.
Go through the 1st service instruction in the user manual that they have provided. This would give you a good idea about what needs to be done.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 12:19   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi

How many Kms has your i10 run?
It would be premature to change the engine oil if your car hasn't run 5k.
1st service is a routine checkup and I doubt whether the service centers does anything in 1st service.
Go through the 1st service instruction in the user manual that they have provided. This would give you a good idea about what needs to be done.

as per manual they only do routine check ups and topups only.. but i read in another thread it is better to change the engine oil in the 1st service.. and my i10 has done 1050 kms as of now.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:51   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
i do not have that 'key in car' light in my car - and thus mine is a non-immobilizer model!
Same here. Mine also doesn't have that 'key-in-car' light. But one question: what is the light below that indicate?
subhashnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 15:54   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for all those points, iPai! I too can try some of the suggestions from the list, at least! Too bad I stay at Bommanahalli and work in E-City; it is always bumper-to-bumper traffic more than half the distance :(
subhashnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 16:25   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
Same here. Mine also doesn't have that 'key-in-car' light. But one question: what is the light below that indicate?
ho that is an ecu indicator.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:41   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
its the dreaded 'check engine' light
Almost anything goes wrong from your intake to exhaust - that lamp should glow!
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote