Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th October 2009, 10:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Please find my comments inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
but the stock settings on the audio system were not good for me. I had to tune bass/treble/other settings to my liking to be able to enjoy it

Same here. The sound is good, not great (I don't have a problem with it)

Is your driving mostly in crawling traffic? An FE <= 12.5 sounds low to me. It could be a function of the tyre upgrade but I am not the right person to comment on that - may be some other expert can confirm the same.

I have been getting an FE of around 11 - 11.5 kmpl. Offcourse mine is an A/T and has only run 1600 kms or so, and I am running on upgraded 14" Alloys and 185/60R14 yokohama AVS ES100 tires from the beginning.

Again 25% power drop is not something I have felt with AC. May be some fellow i10 kappa owners should also comment on the same. Did you point this out during the car servicing at the workshop? From my personal experience, there is definitely a drop but not something like 1/4th of the power getting reduced - i feel it might be 5-10% drop only

Same here - the power drop is a max 4-6%

Also notice that when the clutch is fully depressed and you turn the steering, you will be able to feel the steering rod on the clutch foot. This feels and looks very strange to me.

Dont have a clutch in my car - lolz
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 12:49   #17
BHPian

Great review and excellent narrative ...

The audio quality doesn't seem that good to me though, not sure if the audio system or the speakers in Sportz are to blame here ...... Any inputs from the ICE experts ... will a speaker upgrade help since the audio system is integrated and can't be replaced without replacing the entire center console grill.

2nd query is about the tyres, are the stock Bridgestone good enough or are there any issues with these too?

Thanks in advance
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 13:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Excellent Review. As someone said, this is one heck of a detailed report on an i10 Kappa.

Nice to know that most of your experience has been positive.

Some comments from my end being an i10 Kappa owner myself :-

1. I got the fog lamps free of cost in my deal
2. FE has never risen more than 11.5kmpl in my entire 1 year ownership but maybe because its driven by wifey who is a newbie and its done only 4,000kms in 11 months and never been on a highway.
3. I didnt see you mention about the reverse gear problem? Sometimes the gear gets stuck while reversing, did you experience that?
4. We too dont have any sunfilm and i dont agree that AC is powerful, it does not cool affectively. We are planning to get the sunfilm on it before the next summers for sure.
5. I completely agree the tyres are its weakest point. It definetly needs bigger tyres.

Btw, what was the OTR price of your car? Look forward to continued report as you experience more.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 14:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post

2nd query is about the tyres, are the stock Bridgestone good enough or are there any issues with these too?
Thanks Shankyz. Regarding the tyres , following is my opinion.

A lot has been said that the stock tyres are skinny and its a shortcoming etc. My personal experience is that 155 tyres are good enough for city and highway driving. If your refer to my highway drives - I have gone to Himachal via Shimla/Narkanda NH22 route which involves hill driving. That is the place where I could feel lack of grip occasionally. Note that this is not to say that I was feeling scared driving the car with those tyres. Its just that you need to know the car's limits and accordingly push it into corners.

The only point is that i10 kappa engine has lot more to offer than what those tires allow it to unleash. And that is precisely the only reason I would recommend anyone to upgrade. Its the enthusiast within me which wants an upgrade while the inner sedate driver is more than happy with existing shoes. That way - I don't see any issue with the Bridgestones and their width. Note that when I had to purchase the car, there was option between MRF and Bridgestones as stock and I had particularly requested for Bridgestones

Additionally, I would like to also mention that I have got best results from the car in terms of driving pleasure and handling when I keep pressure in all tires as 34 as opposed to 33. I would like feedback from fellow owners on this.
svaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 14:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Excellent Review. As someone said, this is one heck of a detailed report on an i10 Kappa.
Thanks mobike

Quote:
3. I didnt see you mention about the reverse gear problem? Sometimes the gear gets stuck while reversing, did you experience that?
Snippet from my first post
[ START ]
Reverse gear occasionally doesnít slot smoothly. Very rarely 1st gear also doesnít slot in one go Ė solution is to move to 2nd and then slot the 1st which makes it to work
[ END ]
Yes the gear slotting is nice but reverse as well as first gear sometimes dont engage properly

Quote:
4. We too dont have any sunfilm and i dont agree that AC is powerful, it does not cool affectively. We are planning to get the sunfilm on it before the next summers for sure.
I also dont have sunfilm installed but havent faced any issues in Delhi's summers. As a general practice, whenever the car is parked in sun - I drive for initial couple of minutes with glasses of all windows powered down, AC running at full fan speed and directed towards the front windshield. After this I power up the windows back and change the fan direction to front. This practice seems to work for me.

Quote:
Btw, what was the OTR price of your car? Look forward to continued report as you experience more.
OTR IIRC was 4.67L
Old 16th October 2009, 14:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its just that you need to know the car's limits and accordingly push it into corners.
Absolutely, one should always know the limits of the car he is driving - tire upgraded or not!

Quote:
The only point is that i10 kappa engine has lot more to offer than what those tires allow it to unleash.
That is correct - upsize and feel the difference in handling. Though ride comfort takes a cut, the handling improves a lot. You can push your car harder, brake later and expect better road feedback.

Quote:
Additionally, I would like to also mention that I have got best results from the car in terms of driving pleasure and handling when I keep pressure in all tires as 34 as opposed to 33. I would like feedback from fellow owners on this.
I keep my yoko ES100s on 32 all round.

Last edited by blackasta : 16th October 2009 at 14:51.
Old 16th October 2009, 21:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Absolutely, one should always know the limits of the car he is driving - tire upgraded or not!

That is correct - upsize and feel the difference in handling. Though ride comfort takes a cut, the handling improves a lot. You can push your car harder, brake later and expect better road feedback.

I keep my yoko ES100s on 32 all round.
Same here,

Yoko ES 100 185/60/14 running 32 all round

Fuel: Shell super Unleaded - 12-12.5 City with 100% A/C
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 23:57   #23
BHPian

svaid, thatís a brilliant sum up on i10. I am also a proud owner of an Electric Red i10 Kappa (Magna) since Feb 09 and she is christened as Nemo.

i10 sure needs an upgrade on its tires. The European version run on these specs 165 / 60 R14 or 175 / 60 R14. I donít understand why they had cut this down on the Indian version.

I have also come across sticky gears in reverse and 1st. What I do is pull it back to neutral, release the clutch and again reengage the clutch and the gears fall in comfortably.

FE, I get around 13KM/L in city with around 70% AC usage and around 17KM/L with 100% AC usage on highways.

Happy Mile Crunching.
Regards,
Alex
AKi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 10:40   #24
BHPian

Default Servicing Details ( 1st Service )

Details
  1. The i10 1st servicing is done at 1000 - 1200 kms or 2 months whichever is earlier.
  2. This service doesn't really include any oil change or anything else specific.
  3. All that is done in this servicing is general checkup and washing.
  4. If the customer has any specific complaints - then the same are attended
The first servicing was done at HMP Mathura Road.
I had a few complaints at that time as follows
  • The first gear didn't use to engage easily sometimes. This was a major irritant since typically I used to be standing in front on a red light and waiting for the signal to turn green in neutral gear. As soon as the light would turn green, the 1st gear would not engage and I was subject of good honking. The only option that worked was to first put the gear box in 2nd gear followed by retrying to slot it in 1st to make it to work. Explained this to service adviser and the issue got resolved to a large extent. I wont say the issue has got eliminated but occurrence has become rare so as not to be quantified as an irritant for me.
  • Similar issue was there with the reverse gear and that was also reported. It also got resolved to a large extend but still not eliminated
  • The pickup was sluggish in 1st gear and many times the car used to stall there. I could feel the accelerator paddle not being smooth and when I used to press it it used to go down in a phased manner as opposed to in a continuous manner ( It felt as if there were some obstructions and I had to overcome them to press the paddle further down ). This was also shown to the service adviser and to address the issue, the accelerator cable was replaced under warranty. After the same, this issue got resolved.
Comments on Workshop Experience

The general experience of this service was satisfactory.

The staff and advisers are courteous in attending you.

However, in all three services, my experience has been that they will call you citing that servicing is done and when you come to collect your car, the interior is not properly cleaned - there are marks on seats/dash which need to be specifically told and get cleaned. Further touch up etc that's told to be done has not been taken up at all.

There is no particular reason given for the cleaning issue. All they do when its pointed is that they immediately ask someone to come and do the needful. For me that is not acceptable but only positive thing is that it at least happens and gets done without the need for escalation.

For the touch up thing, there normal argument is that it is preferred to be done in front of the owner ( though owner has already told where it has to be done !! )

Attached is the first service bill. Note that the accelerator cable replacement for some reason wasn't mentioned at all. I asked about the same but didn't push for its inclusion as the issue was no longer visible.
Attached Thumbnails
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-1st-service.jpg  

Old 19th October 2009, 16:48   #25
BHPian

That was a very elaborate review cum ownership experience.

I have i10 ERA 1.1 iRDE (Electric Red here too). My usage is mostly in the city (bumper to bumper traffic) and I find the iRDE engine better suited for such conditions. But on the highway, kappa is a clear winner.

Inspite of what Shah Rukh Khan says, kappa engine doesn't give better mileage than iRDE.

The reverse gear problem is quite common, but first gear should engage properly. As you mentioned, this can get irritating at traffic signals.

I didn't find the AC that powerful, it is adequate but not exactly chilling. The engine does get loaded when the AC is switched on. Also, the AC vents are placed exactly where your hands rest on the steering wheel. My left hand gets very cold while driving with AC.

I like the dashboard integrated gear box in i10. The gear knob is higher than in other cars, and you don't have to brush your passenger's thigh while changing gears. The gearbox is quite smooth and fun to use inspite of its long throws.

I need some info regarding the gear lock in i10. You have mentioned that you are not happy with the installation. Could you post a few pics of the gear lock and the problem area. I wish to install the gear lock in my i10, but I am skeptical because of the issue you mentioned that it fouls with the driver's knee.

I am also not satisfied with the horn and the headlights. Have you inquired about bulb upgrade and dual horns ?

Steering rod felt on the clutch foot - I'm sorry I could not understand this one, could you please elaborate.

Don't you find the ride bumpy with air pressure set higher than recommended ?

Rohan,
Bangalore
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 17:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am also not satisfied with the horn and the headlights. Have you inquired about bulb upgrade and dual horns ?
Same here. Horn feels like a bike horn, and I keep my fog lamps on in addition to headlamps at all times.

Please post if you do upgrade with better horn. Regarding headlamps, I am a little worried to void the warranty on electronics (though replacing with same wattage should not technically void it IMO)
Old 19th October 2009, 18:16   #27
BHPian

@rohan and @blackasta,

Installing lights with the same wattage will not technically void the warranty. But According to the hyundai service manual, it says installing parts not recommended by Hyundai will void the warranty. I doubt hyundai endorses better bulbs. My i10 comes with Halonix H4 60/55.

We could get it done outside the dealer and not let him know of it.

Horns, More powerful horns means relays will have to be installed. These sure will attract attention and best avoided within the warranty period.

The stock horn is disappointing. For me, the volume decreases at night with the other electricals ON.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 21:36   #28
BHPian

Hi,
I changed the horn and the bulbs within a week of purchasing my car. The OEM bulbs are just useless, itís as good as not having it switched on. I got the horn replaced with a Stebel Magnum. And got the bulbs replaced with Osram Night Breaker.

Installing the horn doesnít need any cutting of the wires nor does it need any additional relay.

Osram Night Breakers are 60/55 W so there arenít any warranty issues. Itís just plug and play. The light throw is just amazing, by far this is the best bulb in the market in the 60/55 range. This should cost you around 750/-

Regards,
Alex
AKi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 22:59   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post

The audio quality doesn't seem that good to me though, not sure if the audio system or the speakers in Sportz are to blame here ...... Any inputs from the ICE experts ... will a speaker upgrade help since the audio system is integrated and can't be replaced without replacing the entire center console grill.

Thanks in advance
As blackAsta mentioned, I am also OK with the sound, as I dont drive it often. Its driven by my wife . I saw the difference because, I guess I got used to the sound system of the car that I drive.

@mobike008,

I did not get fog lamps free, but I bargained for sun films, seat covers and keyless entry. FE has been 9-10 as my car is an AT. Although I am not sure if sun film can make a huge difference in FE, but its a good thing to have.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 10:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The reverse gear problem is quite common, but first gear should engage properly. As you mentioned, this can get irritating at traffic signals.
I am amazed that all of the fellow owners do face this issue. Is it some flaw in this gear box and that these issues cant be completely eliminated? I would like to know if we have i10 owners on the forum who do not face this issue at all.

Quote:
Also, the AC vents are placed exactly where your hands rest on the steering wheel. My left hand gets very cold while driving with AC
Personally, never experienced this. As per my observation, the vents can be directed good enough not to interfere with ones hands on the steering. What position do you hold the steering in - is it 10:10? ( as hands of the clock at that time ).

Quote:
Could you post a few pics of the gear lock and the problem area
Sure - will post it soon.

Quote:
Steering rod felt on the clutch foot - I'm sorry I could not understand this one, could you please elaborate.
Depress the clutch fully and now start turning the steering in any direction as eg you would do while reversing the car. See if you can feel the steering rod on the clutch foot.

Quote:
Don't you find the ride bumpy with air pressure set higher than recommended ?
Not really. May be this is also because that most of my daily commute is on roads which are pretty well maintained. Also note that for i10, the normal recommended pressure is 33 and with load it is 35. So I guess I am doing a middle way compromise there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Same here. Horn feels like a bike horn, and I keep my fog lamps on in addition to headlamps at all times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Horns, More powerful horns means relays will have to be installed. These sure will attract attention and best avoided within the warranty period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKi10 View Post
I changed the horn and the bulbs within a week of purchasing my car. The OEM bulbs are just useless, itís as good as not having it switched on. I got the horn replaced with a Stebel Magnum. And got the bulbs replaced with Osram Night Breaker.

Osram Night Breakers are 60/55 W so there arenít any warranty issues. Itís just plug and play. The light throw is just amazing, by far this is the best bulb in the market in the 60/55 range.

Technically if the bulbs are of the same specification as those of OEM bulbs, it shouldnt create a problem. At the same time, I am not sure if tomorrow an issue crops up whether Hyundai would really not consider this as an issue.

Manufacturers typically dont recommend the customer to upgrade anything other than stock and
a) wont take ownership of any issues caused because of the upgrade.
b) Would possibly blame any related issue to the upgrade.

In case of horn upgrade - I believe there could still be some problem - as you would potentially be putting a new component and may be touching the wiring.

In case of bulbs, the difference is that if the specification is same as OEM, its a simple plug and play and you dont need to play around with any wiring/relay/fuse etc. So the probability of problem could be less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
The stock horn is disappointing. For me, the volume decreases at night with the other electricals ON.
Even notice the headlight intensity with AC switched off and on. It does change.