Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th October 2009, 16:08   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to the dealer today, and I blew a fuse - my own! The roof aerial was missing (not delivered) and so was the wheel spanner. Called the Sales Executive, and he asked me to come over at 1PM. He wasn't there. Called him again, he spoke to someone in the showroom, and told me the parts will be given right away.

15 minutes later, the guy at the showroom comes back to tell me, Aaj sab chhutti pe hai, kal hi ho sakta. Store bandh hai. So I called back the sales guy, and he says hold on for 5 minutes, I'll be there.

Another 15 minutes, I call him again, and he tells me Saar meri motorcycle mein petrol khatam ho gaya, main doh kilometre dhakka maarke laa raha hoon. That's when I blew my fuse. Put the fear of God and everyone else into him. You could hear me from across the road. Left him speechless, and hung up.

Left the showroom, wife needed some quick shopping at Sarojini Nagar (2 km from the showroom), and as I cooled off a bit, I felt guilty for chewing the guy's head off on a festival day. Maybe he was on his way to his sister. Maybe he really did run out of petrol. Maybe... why make a bad day worse for the guy?

Called the chap again - oh good, he's back at the showroom. Would you please sort out my problem now if I come in, or would you prefer to wait till tomorrow? He wants me there right now! Store is open!!!

Job done. Stuff delivered/fitted in 5 minutes flat. The fellow had casually asked for a treat of Bengali mithai, on the day the car was delivered, and we had carried a few for him. Initially I was a little reluctant to give them to him after all the waiting he made me do, but never mind - the spirit of the festival season has not been tarnished. Mooh mitha karo!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th October 2009 at 16:11.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 17:47   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Back to the dealer today, and I blew a fuse - my own!
when i first read this line, i was like- OH NO!

Quote:
Initially I was a little reluctant to give them to him after all the waiting he made me do, but never mind - the spirit of the festival season has not been tarnished. Mooh mitha karo!
that was good on your part.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 23:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more interesting feature - the starter would not crank at all if the car is in gear with one's foot off the clutch. Get it into neutral OR press the clutch, and the starter cranks the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
now thats something nice which i have noticed till now, in my 1.5 years of ownership!
Quote:
something all cars should have built into them!
now this feature is present only in the scorpio refresh, not my mHawk!
Old 20th October 2009, 18:15   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's a 100,000 km/4 year warranty on this car free of cost (special offer for October 2009 on all Scorpios by M&M - otherwise costs an additional Rs.9999) but I was told the extended warranty papers will come to me directly by post from the company.
Please update us when you get the extended warranty. The dealers in Bangalore haven't caught up with their Delhi counterparts yet. I called India Garage today (earlier I had checked with SKS) and even they said that there is no extended warranty for 4x4
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:29   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

The car went on its first trip with me on my usual 140 km round trip to work and back. Is it me or the car, or am I imagining things? The time taken was about 10 minutes less than what I do with the Swift, and 5 minutes less than the usual timing with the Accent. Same story on the way back.

People do give way more willingly.

Would much prefer an analog fuel meter rather than the new-fangled LCD bar graph - the meter dropped three bars on the trip, and came back up one bar. This'll take a little getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Please update us when you get the extended warranty. The dealers in Bangalore haven't caught up with their Delhi counterparts yet. I called India Garage today (earlier I had checked with SKS) and even they said that there is no extended warranty for 4x4
Sure, I'll post once the extended warranty papers are received.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:18   #96
BHPian

Quote:
The car went on its first trip with me on my usual 140 km round trip to work and back. Is it me or the car, or am I imagining things? The time taken was about 10 minutes less than what I do with the Swift, and 5 minutes less than the usual timing with the Accent. Same story on the way back.

People do give way more willingly.

Would much prefer an analog fuel meter rather than the new-fangled LCD bar graph - the meter dropped three bars on the trip, and came back up one bar. This'll take a little getting used to.

Sure, I'll post once the extended warranty papers are received.
HE HE HE. I felt the same disbelief/awe when I bought my Safari and compared the time taken earlier in my Swing and Uva.
sidcruise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 10:29   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Default FE figures

Topped up today with 34.68 litres of regular diesel after 368.7 km - an FE of 10.63km/l, including test drives, maddening Diwali traffic and crowded highway. For a new engine, I'm happy.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:40   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
A question about your 4x4. All my Mahindras have always been 4x4s, because I see no point in accepting all its compromises, and then not having 4x4. But I have not been able to TD a Scorpio 4x4. So never bought one. Some people reported that compared to the 2WD, it had NVH issues, and there was too much of transmission snatch. Having an Armada Grand 4x4, I can well believe it. Would like to have your opinion on it.
As I said earlier, not having 4x4 on an SUV is like driving a minibus. As of about 500 km of driving, I've neither been bothered by NVH, nor transmission snatch. Compared to an Armada Grand 4x4 that belonged to my brother-in-law and which I drove quite frequently (including off-road) in the late 90s, this car is as different as man vs. monkey. The Armada ran out of steam after 100 km/h, this one starts to enjoy itself after 80 km/h. At 80 km/h, the stereo in the Armada needed to be on full volume, my car doesn't need volume adjustment whether at idling or at 80 km/h (not taken it any faster yet - letting the first 1000 km go by first). Riding the Armada over bumps chattered one's teeth, the Scorpio just rolls a bit. Gearshift and clutch are about thrice as nice, though not exactly butter-smooth like a sedan.

With the 2.2L mHawk engine on 4x4 for the first time in India, the Scorpio just excelled itself. Have personally never driven the 2.6L CRDe 4x4 Scorpio (though I've driven the 4x2 version some), but I suppose your feedback would have been from 4x4s with the CRDe engine.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:08   #99
Senior - BHPian

SS-Traveller,
Congratulations! Good to read about your new Scorpio 4wd experience. Now take it off road and post some pics
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 13:13   #100
BHPian

"..and it's got a mean little tail."

That simply conveys the message straight to people who tail around. Its like showing the finger. Lov to get one of those for my truck also.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 13:21   #101
BHPian

The vehicles simply awesome. What better way to test than taking it for the 2009 Raid de himalaya. Flawless performance, amazingly built. This is one Mahindra which will stand out with any jap contender. Chk the raid thread for pics!
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 13:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
The vehicles simply awesome. What better way to test than taking it for the 2009 Raid de himalaya. Flawless performance, amazingly built. This is one Mahindra which will stand out with any jap contender. Chk the raid thread for pics!
Just saw your Raid Picture. Man, what a way to run-in the car
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 13:58   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Is the 4x4 the Borg Warner system,or something else? Central diff? Diffs lockable? Freewheeling hubs:- how do you lock them? Like in the Gypsy?

Must meet up sometime.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 14:08   #104
BHPian

Default Towing Capacity?

Doc, does the scorpio manual document the towing capacity or is it something that you have to infer from two types of weight limits specified in your earlier post (GVW and ULW)
Thanks
adzegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 17:00   #105
Senior - BHPian

can someone provide the link of the raid pics here?