Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th June 2011, 07:49   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Multijet : An ownership log

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
@ch-nathan
How did you get the floor of your car dried?
Just used a Sponge to take all the water out. Kept the windows open for one whole day. It dried-off.

The toughest part was that, there is a empty space (like a chamber) below front pasenger's seat. It has a small opening towards the rear seat. Clearing water from this place was one helluva job. Make a note of this.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 15:11   #137
BHPian

Default Update: bad news!

By Saturday afternoon last, the drying job had been completed at the TASS. I was rather busy on Sunday and today, a few minutes ago, I phoned them if I could take the car . Horror of horrors!! I was told that they have been unable to start the car! God only knows what they did in the name of drying the floor.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:22   #138
BHPian

Default Update

Some over-enthusiastic junior employee had broken the cranking system by forcefully turning the key when the double-crank prevention system had locked it. The culprit could not be traced. For a change, TASS had a replacement unit in stock. I refused to pay up for the part and the replacement was made free of charge. My bill did not have any mention of that part.
Old 20th June 2011, 23:33   #139
Senior - BHPian

The advantage of going to an original Fiat service center is that they know about this one for the last ten years. I shudder to think what those guys at a Tata Service centre will do to the Palio, especially the electricals and suspensions.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 17:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

@tortoise, architect,

do either of you have any idea about the costs involved in replacing a broken gear lock? someone forcefully tried to engage reverse without lifting the clip and something gave way
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 18:59   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
@tortoise, architect,

do either of you have any idea about the costs involved in replacing a broken gear lock? someone forcefully tried to engage reverse without lifting the clip and something gave way

Are you talking about the white plastic thing which is below the gear lever?

I had replaced for the same very reason as yours. Paid around 500 to 600 bucks

Had the same problem a year back also. That time had to replace the gear cable
rikhav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 18:59   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I suppose you get a sort of click-click sound when you shift gears now. You might easily remove the broken plastic part yourself after pulling up the rexin cover at the base of the gear lever. I would advise you against getting a replacement - it will be broken again by someone.

Reverse gear lock of my car was broken at the same TASS last year. The CEO of the service centre, when I had made a hue and cry, promised to get the part replaced free of charge. Since then both of us have forgotten about it.

P.S. My BIL's Dhamaka Palio was delivered with the reverse gear lock broken!

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 21st June 2011 at 19:01.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 19:03   #143
Senior - BHPian

Ok thanks both was afraid of major repairs or opening the gear box
Old 21st June 2011, 19:10   #144
Senior - BHPian

You mean something like this happened?

Fiat Palio Multijet : An ownership log-photo0655.jpg

If yes, a new non-leather type will set you back by Rs 450 /- and leather wrapped one will set you back by around Rs 1800 from Authorized Dealer / Service Center.

I use a whole lot of fevicol (for wood, etc) or Araldite + a layer of Quikfix / equivalent to create a thick layer inside / seal the crack and normally pop it back on the metal gear rod / stick.

If the plastic "D" shapped lock broke - then it costs around Rs 550 /-

Edit: ooops! Rikhav and Tortoisenhare have already replied

Last edited by planet_rocker : 21st June 2011 at 19:16.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 20:29   #145
Senior - BHPian

^Thanks a lot again I think thats got it covered. I guess availability is parts. I'm stuck with a broken leg so can't check personally but will ask my Dad to get it checked out at a nearby A.S.S just wanted to be prepared before hand.
Old 21st June 2011, 23:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Do you folks what is so funny about this reverse gear-lock business?

I have heard from many people on TBHP and PUG that the guys at the Tata Service Centre don't know about it and often break it.

But each and every parking attendant in Delhi I have asked knows how to operate the reverse gear-lock business on the Palio, Astra, Cielo. I make it a point to ask the attendant before giving him the keys in a place like CP and THEY KNOW.

What is common knowledge to a parking attendant is not common knowledge to a mechanic at a Tata-FIAT Service Centre. Wonders never cease!!
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:19   #147
BHPian

My GTX came without gear lock. You can use it without the lock but only problem is you should know exactly where your 5th cog position resides. Without the lock 5th cog has more lateral movement causing difficulty to engage.

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 22:16   #148
BHPian

I had posted the following in architect's thread yesterday, regarding water seepage inside my car, which the TASS failed to fix in as many as three visits to them.

Quote:
The mechanic who used to take care of my old (now sold) m800 spotted a gaping hole just to the left of the windshield washer container inlet, through which rainwater coming down from the roof would gush in and seep into the left side floor. I am not sure what the use of the hole was but I suspect there had been a rubber plug there which some TASS expert got rid of. The m800 guy put a piece of rubber in the hole and got it sealed with sealant paste. The plastic cover between the bonnet and the windshield (air circulation vents?) was opened/cleaned for the first ever time. I was amazed to see the amount of dirt/debris there.
Now the atrocious part:

There were occasions when the TASS would ramp up my car and It never occurred to me that the morons could mess up there too. When my m800 mechanic Mr. Sharma opened the matting/carpet of my car I saw two bulges near the footwell areas of both the driver and the co-driver sides in near perfect symmetry. "I don't understand where you hit the car to get those huge dents at the floor on either side," Mr. Sharma exclaimed. But my car had no history of getting significant hits at the bottom. A little later it dawned on me that those where the results of the most recent ramp up of my car at the TASS that was done to inspect for probable water seepage through the floor.

The sum total of the experience has one positive aspect at least - I have freed myself from the clutches of the so called authorised tata-fiat service centres. In my city I have located one independent garage having a few mechanics trained to service older palios which are not much different from the MJDs except for the engine. I have also seen them working with a seized Multijet engine and according to them they have an alternate supply line for all Palio parts from some place in Calcutta. For major repairs (heaven forbid!) I have decided to approach that garage. For smaller tidbits like oil change I can always fall back on my old m800 mechanic, Mr. Sharma, who claimed that air/oil/fuel filters for MJDs are available in auto parts market.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:31   #149

@tortoiseNhare
Can you please tell me the name of the dealer from where your garage is sourcing palio parts. I'm having a lot of trouble finding diesel filter for my multijet.
metaltwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 13:44   #150
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltwister View Post
@tortoiseNhare
Can you please tell me the name of the dealer from where your garage is sourcing palio parts. I'm having a lot of trouble finding diesel filter for my multijet.
@metaltwister, try contacting kava for you Palio spares. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...le-mumbai.html (Fiat Spare Parts - Kava Automobile (Mumbai))
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote