Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th September 2011, 19:52   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Multijet : An ownership log

@metaltwister: In my city there is an auto parts dealer (Mr. Sanjay) who is relied upon for palio parts. I was told about an alternate supply chain of Fiat parts via Calcutta when I had visited them.

@h14, thanks. The phone numbers in the link will be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
tortoiseNhare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 23:45   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltwister View Post
@tortoiseNhare
Can you please tell me the name of the dealer from where your garage is sourcing palio parts. I'm having a lot of trouble finding diesel filter for my multijet.
The diesel filter element should be the same as the one in Vista / Manza. Any place where you get Tata spares you should get it. It is a white coloured filter manufactured by 'UFI' filters. I have a spare diesel filter lying in my boot, I shall see if I can post a picture of it,
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:06   #153
BHPian

Default Gift planned for 3rd birthday: new shoes

The third birthday (homecoming day?) of my Stile MJD is two weeks from today. I have possibly already extracted some more than the last miles out of the OEM set of GPS2s with the odo at 50293 km (plus about 1200 km with a non-functional odo in between). Minor skirmishes during day to day city driving has taken its toll on the paintwork too with several scratch marks here and there. There is a perceptible misalignment of the front bumper too. With another servicing with change of diesel filter, synthetic oil and perhaps the battery also due, I have enough vit.M for the shoes only and the paint touch-ups have to wait.

As per architect's advise I have decided to go for 185x70 R13 tyres on stock rims. I have reduced my choices into one of Bridgestone Turanza and Michelin XM1+. The local tyre shop quoted Rs. 4850 per tyre for the Turanza and 4950 for the XM1+. Are the prices okay? Considering the rough roads I encounter often, I think the Bridgestones will suit my MJD better, isn't it?

PS. The much maligned GPS2s never got a puncture in their life time with the MJD. They are running on borrowed time now.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 21:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Gift planned for 3rd birthday: new shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
As per architect's advise I have decided to go for 185x70 R13 tyres on stock rims. I have reduced my choices into one of Bridgestone Turanza and Michelin XM1+. The local tyre shop quoted Rs. 4850 per tyre for the Turanza and 4950 for the XM1+. Are the prices okay? Considering the rough roads I encounter often, I think the Bridgestones will suit my MJD better, isn't it?
At a difference of Rs 100/- per tyre, I would pick up the Michelin XM1+. Reason is the balance between comfort and handling it provides. However, it may not last very long as it is essentially a softer tyre.

Regarding punctures, I had quite a few on the Yokohama A-drives but none so far on the XM1+. They have done 26,000 km and are not doing too badly in terms of treadwear either so I will probably push to 90,000 km on those (current odo is 76,000 km).
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 22:36   #155
h14
BHPian

Me too would recommend you going in for Michelin XM1+. My MJD has clocked 20k on the XM1+ and are doing great without a single puncture.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 22:55   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Regarding punctures, I had quite a few on the Yokohama A-drives but none so far on the XM1+.
Quote:
Me too would recommend you going in for Michelin XM1+. My MJD has clocked 20k on the XM1+ and are doing great without a single puncture.
I've made up my mind on the XM1+. I had called another dealer this afternoon. He said that there is an offer of a mobile phone worth Rs. 1200 on the purchase of a set of 4, which ends this Tuesday. If I can convince myself about the utility of another cheap mobile phone then the tyre shopping will happen within a couple of days.
Old 10th December 2011, 23:47   #157
Senior - BHPian

Funny, that offer for a cheap mobile was there "only till next week" even when I bought my XM1+ more than 15 months ago! :-).

However, that cheap utility Samsung Guru has been working very well with my mother who only wanted a basic phone. Not to mention the fact that Samsung mobiles have the lowest SAR ratings for negative impact of radiation on human body.

Enjoy your XM1+. It would be interesting to note what you feel about the car after shifting to softer 185 width tyres.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 00:15   #158
h14
BHPian

Good that you have opted for XM1+. Change from GPS2 to XM1 will be drastic and I bet you are gonna enjoy it. Happy driving.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:13   #159
BHPian

Default On 185x70 Michelins now!

My car has now been shod with 185x70 Michelin XM1+ tyres. The total cost including Rs. 200 for balancing weights came to Rs. 18,800, i.e. Rs. 4,650 per tyre. The labour and machine costs for alignment and balancing were waived and I did get that Samsung Guru as gift.

The first driving impressions are good. I have driven 20 odd km from the tyre shop to my office which includes a fair stretch along the National Highway. My first apprehension, about a possibly heavier steering due to the wider tyres, was immediately dispelled. In fact, the steering feels lighter than what it was with the GPS2s. Tyre noise has reduced considerably but I can't say they are super silent. I went only up to 100 kmph and felt relaxed in the couple of turns on the way. Finally, 30 psi pressure on this set of tyres seems to be a bit on the higher side with only the driver in, unlike in the earlier GPS2s with which the car felt sluggish at a lower pressure. The final observation may be due to calibration mismatch of the pressure gauges used.

Immediate next requirements now are of changing engine oil and filters. If I can manage to procure the consumables from the market then it will be goodbye TASS. Otherwise back to again soon.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:50   #160
BHPian

Default Re: On 185x70 Michelins now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Tyre noise has reduced considerably but I can't say they are super silent.
I drove the car last evening for another 30 odd kms. I'll revise my earlier opinion: the tyres are indeed super silent. The little noise that I had heard earlier was actually from the suspension due to unevenly laid tarmac. On smoothly paved road I can now hear the engine note and turbo whistle clearly. Earlier, due to the noisy tyres, the turbo at work was barely audible.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:26   #161
h14
BHPian

Ah, that's great to hear. Welcome to Michelin. Enjoy loads of miles on them.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 22:51   #162
BHPian

Default Mineral oil yet again

On Saturday I was told by the store manager of TASS at Abhishek Motors that they had adequate stock of Selenia semi-synthetic engine oil. On that day I had learnt the hard way that Selenia is unheard of in the open market at Guwahati. Since I had no idea about the grade and API specification of Selenia, that was recommended for MJD, I dropped the idea of buying oil from the market and getting engine oil changed by my local mechanic.

Today at about 9.30 in the morning I took my Palio to the TASS and before making and entry in the register met the store manager personally to be doubly sure of the availability of Selenia. I also asked him to show me a 1 litre container of the same to note down the specifications. I was told that the oil containers were stocked not with the spare parts but inside the workshop premises and so I could not see one. Soon afterwards I handed my car over to the service advisor and reached office.

At about 12 noon Abhishek motors rang up to say sorry. They didn't have any stock of Selenia diesel engine oil. At first I thought of canceling the entire job but finally asked them to put 15w40 mineral oil and NOT TO change the diesel filter. At 6 pm I went to collect my car and it was handed over without a top wash and with some free sprinkling of bird excreta instead.

Total bill: Rs. 1600 (3.2 lt engine oil, oil filter, labour)

The GOOD THING: the car drives smoother and picks up quicker even with the HP Milcy 15w40 lubes.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 19th December 2011 at 22:53. Reason: spelling
Old 20th December 2011, 09:01   #163
h14
BHPian

Oh! Why is this sudden demand for Selena? Got one of our MJD'S serviced at Coimbatore Gem Motors last week and they did have Selena.
Old 20th December 2011, 09:36   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! Why is this sudden demand for Selena? Got one of our MJD'S serviced at Coimbatore Gem Motors last week and they did have Selena.
Selenia being the recommended semi-synthetic oil lasting a 15K service interval for Punto MJD, we can similarly increase the service interval of a Palio MJD too. It will be nice to know about an equivalent of that oil in a more familiar brand like Castrol.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:13   #165
Senior - BHPian

TnH: Let me see if I can figure out the exact grade of Selenia used at TASS. Then you are free to buy any semi-synthetic oil of that grade from the market. Of course, beware of fake oil as the market has a lot of them circulating around.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote