Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 2nd January 2013, 12:02   #181
h14
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Multijet : An ownership log

Even I'm on XM1+ in my Palio MJD. Done 41k kms now and good for more than another 10k. One puncture so far, but had to change the nozzle/mouth for 3 of them.

But for me, it was not slight loss of pressure, but sudden loss resulting in a flat tyre on two occasions. Both occasions, it happened on highway drives and the 3rd one was slight loss of pressure while within city.

While changing the nozzle, I found the old one to have developed cracks. Not sure if it happens with age or maybe it was manufacturing defect. But the tire shop guy suggested to get the nozzle changed every 2yrs to be on the safer side.

All the 3 nozzle failures happened within the span of the last 5 months. Both the car and the Michelins are 2 1/2 years old now.

Last edited by h14 : 2nd January 2013 at 12:07.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:54   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Tyre loses pressure about 2-3 Psi in 5-6 weeks of running so it the nozzle in your case too, most likely. But 180/- is too much for it, no?
It may well be a nozzle issue after all but I guess the one on the (then) spare wheel is still good because after swapping rims I could get rid of the problem. I haven't checked the pressure on the (present) spare wheel yet.

And hey! Congratulations in advance for the the 1 lakh kilometre click on your odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Even I'm on XM1+ in my Palio MJD. Done 41k kms now and good for more than another 10k. One puncture so far, but had to change the nozzle/mouth for 3 of them.

All the 3 nozzle failures happened within the span of the last 5 months. Both the car and the Michelins are 2 1/2 years old now.
How much did you pay for the nozzles? AFAIK the old nozzles were not discarded when I had changed tyres. Is the nozzle a part of the rim or does it come free with a new tyre?
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:08   #183
h14
BHPian

The nozzle is sold separate. Most dealers do not charge for the nozzle while you get new tires from them. The cost varies from shop to shop. I was charged Rs.50 at a shop in Palladam, Rs.150 in Coimbatore and Trichy.

I always insist the dealer to change the nozzle while getting the new tires, maybe from now on, I need to change it every 2 yrs.

I'm also thinking on keeping few nozzles in the car as a spare just in case!
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 21:29   #184
BHPian

I was out of town visiting my brother abroad in December end. The car was not even cranked up, let alone driven, in those 10 cold days. The battery did the job for two days after my return but on last Friday morning it died. Till then it had almost always been a single crank start but towards the end I could feel that the urgency shown by the battery to start the car had diminished considerably.

In the evening my mechanic came with a battery only to realize that the one he had b(r)ought didn't match my car. On Saturday he fitted the proper battery (Exide Max) in my car. I was given the bill (equal to the MRP Rs. 5351) and warranty and told that the old battery was bought back for Rs. 400.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:16   #185
BHPian

Finally FIAT exclusive dealer in Guwahati.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Multijet : An ownership log-fiat.jpg  

dutta_d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 22:07   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
Finally FIAT exclusive dealer in Guwahati.
This will be just next to the Himatsinghka Ford dealership on NH37. The construction is in progress. I believe, judging by what I saw yesterday, it will take at least two months till the opening.
Old 25th March 2014, 23:20   #187
BHPian

It is time for another clutch job . The clutch was replaced in August 2012 along with both master and slave cylinders in a local garage with parts sourced from an auto components shop. It had become hard rather soon but I kept on using it till the gear shifting operations became very difficult. I gave the car to the Fiat authorized service center immediately after detecting a leaking master cylinder yesterday afternoon. This set of clutch assembly lasted for only 20K kms.

Some decent workmanship with the clutch this time should be enough incentive for me to give the car a much needed and long overdue cosmetic touch up. My monthly running is not much now and long drives have been few and far between. The Michelins have run more than 30K and look likely to last another 20K kms. The car has done close to 82,000 kms in my 5 years and 3 months of ownership till now. I hope to be able to keep her for another 5 years.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 11:09   #188
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on having done 5 years. It's all downhill from now.

Is the Fiat dealership in Guwahati open? Is it owned by Himmatsinghka? Those guys used to have Ashok Leyland dealership way back in the 80s at Beltola, the trucking capital of Guwahati.

Hope your master cylinder is replaced, not the entire clutch. I finish 6 years next week. And yes, Happy Rongali Bihu coming up!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 23:29   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Congratulations on having done 5 years. It's all downhill from now.

Is the Fiat dealership in Guwahati open? Is it owned by Himmatsinghka? Those guys used to have Ashok Leyland dealership way back in the 80s at Beltola, the trucking capital of Guwahati.

Hope your master cylinder is replaced, not the entire clutch. I finish 6 years next week. And yes, Happy Rongali Bihu coming up!
Thanks for the Bihu wishes! The Fiat exclusive dealership will complete one year by Rongali Bihu! The same Abhishek Motors, the erstwhile Tata-Fiat dealer, opted to have the Fiat only dealership/service station. Since you had lived here near the Silpukhuri area I guess you remember the Green Valley travels. The Fiat dealership is owned by them and they also own Goswami Service Station, one of the oldest petrol pumps in Guwahati.

The Dealership/service centre will change place yet again, from its present location on the Jalukbari-Khanapara NH 37 bypass, to accommodate the upcoming Audi dealership of Green Valley. The Fiat showroom will now shift to GS Road and the Fiat authorised service centre will move back to Abhishek Motors campus near Jalukbari in which a separate Fiat only service area is being carved out.

My experiment of letting a mechanic of a no-name garage fix my palio's clutch system didn't work long term. This time I let the SA, Mr. Sarma, have a free hand to provide a proper solution. His assessment was that the clutch kit that I got replaced with components sourced from outside may have had mismatched pressure plate, in spite of a visually identical look, which in turn could have damaged the master cylinder with excessive pressure.

The clutch bracket also had cracked. Mr. Sarma has no information about the modified clutch bracket of Palio Stile. He got the original one repaired by getting it soldered. Till my last phone call this afternoon, he had got his men to change clutch kit twice but some hardness is still there according to his own admission. He has sought two more days' time to deliver the car as the dashboard has to be opened again -- now the blower fan regulator does not slide beyond the 2 position!

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 31st March 2014 at 23:30. Reason: Addition
Old 31st March 2014, 23:41   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
...hardness is still there according to his own admission. He has sought two more days' time to deliver the car as the dashboard has to be opened again -- now the blower fan regulator does not slide beyond the 2 position!
Hope your issues are sorted out. I always advise to buy Fiats only if there is a half-decent service center around. We have our Mr Sharma and Kashyap around for a while so its hunky-dory. Blower fan is a minor issue it seems the switch is stuck. When you let mechanics open something they almost always leave something behind. You know what, Abhishek Motors will do the same stuff with Audi, trust me.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 10:34   #191
BHPian

I got the car back yesterday. The cable that regulates the heating vent was snapped when the dashboard was opened last time. The proper cable being unavailable, this time they tried to fit a shorter cable for the purpose. The result was that the heating vent could not be fully closed even at the coldest position of the knob. By the time I had arrived home the inside of the car was like Delhi summer. Went back again immediately and got the cable disconnected... I don't want any heating for now.

The main issue, the clutch, is sorted out as of now. Along with the master cylinder the whole clutch kit was replaced. Once again the MC was not available with the Fiat authorised service centre. I had no option but to take their bait of sourcing it from the outside market and ended up paying almost twice the actual price. The pleasant surprise was the (official) price of the clutch kit ... it has come down significantly. Total paid = Rs. 12,700/- (includes clutch bracket repair, MC replacement, Clutch Kit replacement, interior detailing, engine bay cleaning, brake pads and drums inspection).
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:14   #192
BHPian

I stopped updating this thread since my Stile MJD had started throwing tantrums rather frequently. I persisted with her gamely in the intervening period, but the holes burnt in my pocket getting larger and larger, I had to finally put my hands up and let her go last week, to be exchanged with an Innova Crysta being purchased by my bro-in-law.

A year and a half ago I bought a Kwid. Earlier this year a Redigo was taken in exchange with my father's ramshackle Tata Nano. Both these cars have been 'Toyota boring' till now and I hope they remain so for many more years.

Request to Mods: Kindly close this thread.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:26   #193
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the car. The Palio can get expensive to maintain especially without good service support. Reminds me of the time when we spoke on the phone some years ago! Anyway, with an Innova Crysta, a Redigo and Kwid, l hope you see better ownership.

The Palio Multijet threads started between 2008 and 2010, when it was discontinued. A lot of passionate owners. As these cars get sold or exchanged, you appreciate the inevitability of the only constant in life: Change!
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote