Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th February 2010, 01:18   #46
BHPian

@ TortoiseNhare,
Nice ownership review. And a nice choice of color too. The car looks great in furnace orange.
Johnny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 15:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_ View Post
@ TortoiseNhare,
Nice ownership review. And a nice choice of color too. The car looks great in furnace orange.
Hi Johnny, thanks a lot! The color is furnace red, according to Fiat.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 01:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Hi Johnny, thanks a lot! The color is furnace red, according to Fiat.
oops, my apologies. Furnace red looks cool.
Johnny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 10:23   #49
BHPian

I got an email from Fiat India for the Fiat First Service Camp this weekend. During checkup at the camp I may be asked to get oil change etc. done as part of the 4th service as the palio has just crossed 23,000 KM. The repeated (after protests) 3rd free service was done at 16,500 KM. Therefore my car requires the next servicing only at 24,000 KM.

My confusion in this regard is, is there any violation of warranty terms and conditions from my part by getting the official 4th service done at 24,000 instead of the recommended 22,500 KM?

Request to the Mods: Could you please change the title of this thread into something like "Palio Multijet: An ownership log"?

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 24th February 2010 at 10:28. Reason: Adding request to change thread title
Old 25th February 2010, 00:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Keep it simple... just ask your Service Advisor to write 224xx km on the job card and bill. they'll do it, willingly, unless you've been mad at them.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 11:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Keep it simple... just ask your Service Advisor to write 224xx km on the job card and bill. they'll do it, willingly, unless you've been mad at them.
Thanks for the tip. BTW you were about to cross 40,000 KM. Done that?
Old 25th February 2010, 23:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. BTW you were about to cross 40,000 KM. Done that?
Not Yet! Done 38.5k, leaving for a 1200 km trip within 5 hours as I type this.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:39   #53
BHPian

Nice long term report. Keep driving and writing. Palio MJD is one of my fav car. When in Assam I usually move around in a Petrol Palio 1.2
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 16:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Nice long term report. Keep driving and writing. Palio MJD is one of my fav car. When in Assam I usually move around in a Petrol Palio 1.2
Thanks. Hey, are you an NRA (Non-Resident Assamese)? Do you visit Guwahati often?
Old 27th February 2010, 12:09   #55
BHPian

Default Fiat-First Free Checkup Camp : A Sick Joke Here

I'm just back from the Fiat-First Free checkup camp at Abhishek Motors. To me it was a huge practical joke. I was at the camp well before the appointed 9 am. By 9.30 am my Palio (with a few Puntos and Lineas) was taken to the ramps by one of the employees of the service centre. No sign of any Fiat personnel till then. In case of my car, checkups were entrusted to a couple of persons who didn't even know how to open the bonnet of a Palio. The managed to open it after a struggle of about a minute. I was observing them from the rest room and the only thing I saw them doing was to check the car battery with vague expressions. Then the bonnet was closed. By that time a young man appeared in the scene who, I correctly guessed, had come from Fiat HQ. I went down to talk to him when one of the employees of Abhishek Motors who was never near my car earlier picked up the job card from my car and ticked all the check boxes of the check list. He then announced to me that all checkups were done and asked for my signature. I didn't want to embarrass him in front of the Fiat guy and therefore signed it. The car was taken out from the service area.

Then I picked up one point from the list at random, called the employee who ticked the list and asked him, "Did you check windshield washer operation?" He was prompt in replying, "Yes sir, you can check it yourself sir." Then I called him and the service head of Abhishek Motors near my car and showed all the accumulated dust on the windshield in full glory. Having proved my point I demanded to be released immediately. The service head asked another employee to take my car back to the ramp. By then I had already spent about three hours there and my temper also had reached the stratosphere. I didn't allow them to take the car in again and asked for the gate pass for coming out. With the gate pass I was given a gift box too. I didn't bother to open the gift box and gifted it back to the pretty lady on the desk.
Old 28th February 2010, 00:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, sad! I had a better experience on last sunday.

The gift is a standard "Punto" box of tissues. However, I also got a special Tata-Fiat gift as a goodwill gesture from the dealer.

Drove 990 km within 36 hours and had a fair share of cruising at 120-130 kph on NH2. Except for the boomy engine, car was a delight at those speeds. Of course, the A-drives take the credit partly. Decent FE of 20+ kpl as well, considering the high RPMs all the time.

40,000 km / 2 year ownership report coming soon!
Old 28th February 2010, 07:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, sad! I had a better experience on last sunday.
I don't blame Fiat India for the poor experience. I understand that it is not viable to send 10 people from Pune to a place where less than 10 Fiat cars are sold per month. What I hated was the approach of some employees of the dealers. Someone just picking up the check list and ticking them without any verification is sick.

Quote:
Drove 990 km within 36 hours and had a fair share of cruising at 120-130 kph on NH2.
That makes me envious. Don't know when NHAI will complete the 4-laning of NH31. How quickly do you try to reach that kind of cruising speed? In my car I know exactly when the problem of engine stalling at higher rpm happens - it's when I accelerate very fast beyond 80 kmph in 4th. I had narrated my experience to the Fiat guy. He seemed to be aware of this problem and told me that the multijet was not designed for sudden/quick accelerations and advised to pick up speed in longer time intervals. That means, overtaking the Indica cruising at 90 in a narrow road should be out.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 28th February 2010 at 07:25.
Old 28th February 2010, 21:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How quickly do you try to reach that kind of cruising speed? In my car I know exactly when the problem of engine stalling at higher rpm happens - it's when I accelerate very fast beyond 80 kmph in 4th.
I haven't really timed it, but yes, I do keep up with the ubiquitous Swift Diesels on the road without any effort. In fact the in-gear acceleration of this car surprises the petrol sedans as well!

It's only the 1st / 2nd gears where this car loses out to its Maruti cousins because of Fiat's ultra-short gearing. Also, a good Swift driver will use the snappy gearbox to better advantage, as you tend to lose time shifting on this car because of the long clutch pedal travel and gear lever throw.

Typically, on the highway, I shift to 5th gear at around 70 kph or 80-90 kph during that rare overtaking spell. The stalling story has happened to me at 80 kph on 5th gear and hasn't repeated. I think you should follow this up at Fiat and try an ECU reset or clean the air-filter more regularly.

Quote:
That means, overtaking the Indica cruising at 90 in a narrow road should be out.
Absolutely not. Have done this umpteen number of times on my Himachal / Dehradun runs and have even driven at 90 kph on 3rd gear during a Dehradun - Delhi run where the traffic was awful, I red-lined every gear except 5th and got an FE of 12.XX!
Old 28th February 2010, 22:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's only the 1st / 2nd gears where this car loses out to its Maruti cousins because of Fiat's ultra-short gearing.
I didn't know that the Palio MJD also had a short gearing ratio - I thought that only the Punto/Linea ratios were short.

Quote:
you tend to lose time shifting on this car because of the long clutch pedal travel and gear lever throw
+1 to that.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 01:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

I find that it is this ultra-short gearing that helps during city driving because you can maintain at least three different crawling speeds on first three gears with minimum accelerator input and no clutch usage.