Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd April 2010, 20:41   #76
BHPian

Default Any major Issues with Multijet after 15K kms

Any major Issues with Multijet after 15K kms and when to go for service now.

While changing gears and accelerating black smoke comes out is that normal

Wheel alignment is required now?

Has anyone tried Pete's tuner to get 90bhp from our multijet engine,how will the fuel economy and engine strain be like?
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 21:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

@amarprusty:

You have a fuel quality problem. Go to a good petrol pump and fill in NORMAL diesel. That should take care of black smoke (unless something serious has happenned already!). Your fuel filter will change at 15,000 km service so try to ensure good quality fuel now onwards.

Get wheel alignment, balancing, rotation done apart from regular service jobs. Ask them to open the wheels and check disc brake pads because the first set on my car gave way in 22000 km. Clean rear brake drum and check for leakages in the fuel line. Change coolant if your car is more than a year old since manufacture date.

All this apart from regular oil, oil filter, air filter change stuff.

It's all written there, but how many ASC follow what's written to the letter?
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 13:46   #78
BHPian

Today in the morning the AC of my car suddenly stopped working. I took her to the TASS and according to them the AC gas had leaked out totally. They detected a faulty pipe which, predictably, is not in stock. The normal warranty will be over next month and I hope I will be able to claim replacement under warranty. I have taken the car out from there and now the wait begins for the part to arrive. Bad news is, it is getting very hot here in Guwahati after the pre-monsoon rain!
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:36   #79
BHPian

Default What about Service Charges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post

The 22,500 km paid service happens to be rather routine but the kind of bill that I was handed down was funny. The total bill I had to pay was Rs. 1660. The bill:

HP 15W40 Engine Oil 3.3 lt. (loose): Rs. 841.50
Oil Filter: Rs. 439
Engine oil and Filter change: Rs. 135
Air filter cleaning: Rs. 54
HEADLAMP (EACH) REMOVE REFIT (INCL BUMPER R/R ADJUST): Rs. 162
Service Tax: Rs. 35
TortoiseNhare,

For my SDX, @22500kms service, they charged Rs.1200/- as Service Charge. ("Paid Service done as per schedule").

I don't find that in your list of charges. Were you charged for this or not?
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 17:01   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
TortoiseNhare,

For my SDX, @22500kms service, they charged Rs.1200/- as Service Charge. ("Paid Service done as per schedule").

I don't find that in your list of charges. Were you charged for this or not?
No. I was not charged that amount. I think the reason for that is, they did not carry out all the checks as specified by Fiat in the checklist. They charged for labour in the three activities that they had supposedly carried out: Rs. 135 for oil change, Rs.54 for air filter cleaning and Rs. 162 for headlamp remove/refit and bumper adjust. They did adjust the beam of the headlamps but they never had to remove/refit any of them and the question of adjustment of the bumper was not at all there.

In the mean time one week is over since my AC went kaput. The TASS is trying to repair the damaged rubber hose pipe rather than promptly ordering a new part from Fiat. They have already tried twice without success. There is a problem with the guy in charge of spare parts at the TASS; he has not even found the part number of the hose pipe as of today. The weather in Guwahati is cool due to intermittent rains these days. I am keeping my cool too.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 19th May 2010 at 17:09.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:12   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
A
While changing gears and accelerating black smoke comes out is that normal
What Architect told you is what could be wrong with the car in order to get black smoke. Very good advice.

But check if you are you accelerating in any gear below 1500 rpm, if you are the car is probably fine...

Typically when you up shift does what you do is press Clutch - Up Shift - Release Clutch while depressing the accelerator gently.

when you are in 'Release Clutch while Accelerating' and your rpm drops below 1500 you WILL get black smoke. This is because your engine is lugging meaning the gear is too high and speed too low and it will have to work harder for the car to accelerate this results in more fuel being consumed but all the extra fuel cannot be burnt cleanly hence black smoke.

In this case you will also notice the engine sound is not very smooth (some booming type of sound happens that suddenly goes away beyond 1800 -2000)

If you release the Clutch without simultaneously accelerating gently resulting in the RPM dropping especially if there is more than just one person in the car.

I used to do all these things and complain of low mileage of around 13 kmpl at best.

What i learnt is it is better to be at 2500 rpm on 2nd rather than 1400 rpm on 3rd to get good economy but the best is to keep the rpm between 1500 and 2000 and use the clutch if the speed is so low that i drop below 1500 on first don't think this is good for my clutch but economy and engine are just fine.
AadiAtPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 18:41   #82
BHPian

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
@amarprusty:

You have a fuel quality problem. Go to a good petrol pump and fill in NORMAL diesel. That should take care of black smoke (unless something serious has happenned already!). Your fuel filter will change at 15,000 km service so try to ensure good quality fuel now onwards.

Get wheel alignment, balancing, rotation done apart from regular service jobs. Ask them to open the wheels and check disc brake pads because the first set on my car gave way in 22000 km. Clean rear brake drum and check for leakages in the fuel line. Change coolant if your car is more than a year old since manufacture date.

All this apart from regular oil, oil filter, air filter change stuff.

It's all written there, but how many ASC follow what's written to the letter?
Thanks Architect for the valuable inputs
My car is at 16K km and should take it for a service now and run by your checklist also claim insurance on the dents and scratches from Reliance Insurance,lets see how is their claim settlement

Any inputs on changing to Alloys for the Furnace Red Multijet will be appreciated
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:50   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Today in the morning the AC of my car suddenly stopped working.
The part (flex hose) was sourced by Abhishek motors from a TASS located in Bhubaneswar and today it was fitted. The AC is fine now. The part has an MRP of Rs. 2752. I have claimed replacement under warranty but there is some doubt about the applicability of the claim according to the TASS. I have been allowed to take the car home and what exactly I shall have to fork out will be decided after their consultation with Fiat India.
Old 7th June 2010, 22:37   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
I used to do all these things and complain of low mileage of around 13 kmpl at best.

What i learnt is it is better to be at 2500 rpm on 2nd rather than 1400 rpm on 3rd to get good economy but the best is to keep the rpm between 1500 and 2000 and use the clutch if the speed is so low that i drop below 1500 on first don't think this is good for my clutch but economy and engine are just fine.
How much do you manage to get by keeping the rpms high. Would like t know since i am experimenting with my Figo TDCi

Quote:
The part (flex hose) was sourced by Abhishek motors from a TASS located in Bhubaneswar and today it was fitted. The AC is fine now. The part has an MRP of Rs. 2752. I have claimed replacement under warranty but there is some doubt about the applicability of the claim according to the TASS. I have been allowed to take the car home and what exactly I shall have to fork out will be decided after their consultation with Fiat India.
Good to know that your car is back in action.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 22:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
How much do you manage to get by keeping the rpms high. Would like t know since i am experimenting with my Figo
@Gemi, from my experience, I have found that you get maximum mileage by keeping the tacho (in all gears) at the point where the turbo kick starts. In case your car does not have the features known as turbo kick and turbo lag , being a TDCi, you keep it at a point where the peak torque (or say 80-90% of peak torque) delivery starts. For that you need the Torque - BHP graph. In the Palio Multijet, this point is at around 1800 RPM. Being at this point ensures minimum waiting (and therefore, less fuel wastage) between the time you press the throttle and the time it picks up speed in an overtaking situation.

Another thing, I find that without the AC, the Palio Multijet gives FE almost equivalent to the Swift DDIS, but the moment you switch on the AC, it knocks of 2-3 kpl from it.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 23:37   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Good to know that your car is back in action.
Thanks Gemi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Another thing, I find that without the AC, the Palio Multijet gives FE almost equivalent to the Swift DDIS, but the moment you switch on the AC, it knocks of 2-3 kpl from it.
The weeks without AC saw my average FE climb to 21 kmpl. I have had no long forays on the highway in that period. Now-a-days I do not upshift to 3rd and 4th below 2500 rpm and also do downshift before the rev goes below 1500 rpm mark. The rattles, as a result, seem to have vanished.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:47   #87
BHPian

Today I have given my SDX for 30000kms service. They have quoted Rs.1300/- as labour charges and Rs.4200/- for Engine oil, Filters, Coolant and PS oil.
Has anyone finished 30kkms service? Are these charges consistent?
Old 8th June 2010, 16:50   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Today I have given my SDX for 30000kms service. They have quoted Rs.1300/- as labour charges and Rs.4200/- for Engine oil, Filters, Coolant and PS oil.
Has anyone finished 30kkms service? Are these charges consistent?
The charges are consistent assuming that the fuel filter is also included along with air filter and oil filter.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:04   #89
BHPian

Thanks for the update TortoiseNHare.

Yes, the estimate in the jobcard says it includes fuel filter also.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:42   #90
BHPian

I have just got 30K service done and final charges were 3700 including fuel filter change ony thing is I did not got wheel alignment and balancing checked from showroom.
Please check the details you might get some things removed......
lalitk25 is offline   Reply With Quote