Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st October 2010, 12:56   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post

7500 is the recommended service interval means even if one stretches the engine to the limits one can safely drive that many KMs after one scheduled service.
For Punto FIAT suggests 15000 km interval between service. Palio MJD is using the same engine. Than why short service intervals?
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 13:41   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
For Punto FIAT suggests 15000 km interval between service. Palio MJD is using the same engine. Than why short service intervals?
They use fully synth oil for both Punto and Linea afaik, whereas they use mineral for Palio which doesn't last that long. I have driven 16-17k kms between oil changes with the Palio on synth over a period of 10 months and the oil still looking semi-ok though the oil filter seals were at the limit
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 23:02   #123
Senior - BHPian

If you use synthetic oil, even a Palio Multijet can be driven for 15000 km, assuming the oil filter is the same on both cars.

I, however, have serious doubts if the air filter will last for 15000 km without a cleaning. Mine does not last for more than 2500 without a cleaning.

Bottomline is that oil change maybe far apart, but the air filter needs attention around 2000-2500 km. Which is why I have ended up going to the ASC every 3000-4000 km for a wash and air filter (and some niggles).
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:17   #124
h14
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Multijet : An ownership log

A small correction, the oil used in Linea and Punto are Semi-synthetic and not fully synthetic. Thought fully synthetic are also available, the cost will be more than double and so will be the change interval. So it is 15,000 for the semi-synthetic Selena and about 25,000 for the fully synthetic like Mobil1.
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 18:46   #125
BHPian

Yesterday I took my car for a oil change and regular maintenance service. The SA recommended changing brake pads in front and some sort of cleaning of brake linings (?) in the rear wheel. The interval between the previous oil change and this one got extended to more than 10,000 km because of my laziness. In fact I did take the car to Abhishek motors during Fiat free checkup camp when the recommended 7,500 km for oil change was just over. That day the people over there were busy with the routine work listed the free checkup check list and after that I just could not find time to visit them. When the car went in yesterday the odo read 42396 kms (note that the odo had stopped for a stretch of about 1200 kms during a longish trip about a year ago).

I could feel/listen a distinct harsh note from the engine during the last 1500 km or so and in that period avoided revving the engine over 2000 rpm. As architect had noted, 7500 km interval on mineral oil is indeed on higher side and extending beyond that is definitely not a good idea.

Fiat service over the past few months have improved a lot. At least there is no problem of availability of commonly used parts like filters etc. However, every visit of mine is inevitably characterised by at least one event. This time I had just left the car with the SA and asked him to inform me over phone about the bill amount when the car is readied for delivery as I had only a limited amount of cash in hand and I didn't wish to queue up in front of the ATM if not required. In the afternoon the SA told me that including parts and labour my bill will be about Rs. 4300. I had Rs. 4800 with me and therefore just went to get the car.

As the bill was readied to be printed the SA told me that the total bill was about Rs. 5500 (forgot the actual amount). Before the bill was finalised I had a look at the monitor and was surprised to see 4 x 1 litre bottles of Selenia semi-synthetic engine oil as part of the bill. I very politely expressed my displeasure to the SA for not informing about it beforehand and also that I didn't have that much of cash at that time. The SA then went to meet the store manager and had some arguments with him where I didn't take part. The bill was then revised and in place of the Selenia bottles 3.3 litres of 15w40 mineral diesel engine oil were entered. The final bill = Rs. 3793. The big question is, which oil did actually go inside the engine of my car?

Today Abhishek motors had held a free pollution checkup camp as part of World Environment Day. I got my car tested there on my way to get a haircut. The CEO of the service centre had also formally got a couple of saplings planted by a senior customer as part of the day.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 21:11   #126
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat-First Free Checkup Camp : A Sick Joke Here

Hi tortoiseNhare,

Just read your thread from end to end and enjoyed doing so. I am myself looking to buy a preowned Multi Jet Palio and having read your thread I am more convinced than ever to buy this idiot proof (read Tata ASC) vehicle.

Quote:
Yesterday I took my car for a oil change and regular maintenance service. .....
......The bill was then revised and in place of the Selenia bottles 3.3 litres of 15w40 mineral diesel engine oil were entered. The final bill = Rs. 3793. The big question is, which oil did actually go inside the engine of my car?

The only bit I did not like in the entire thread was the one quoted below. As a gentleman you were considerate but at the wrong time. I believe you should have used the opportunity to take not just the ASC personnel but also the Fiat executive to task for not providing proper service and not ensuring that the service centres have trained mechanics respectively and other issues such as non availability of parts etc. This would have been of great service to a whole lot of Fiat customers including yourself.

Quote:
By that time a young man appeared in the scene who, I correctly guessed, had come from Fiat HQ. I went down to talk to him when one of the employees of Abhishek Motors who was never near my car earlier picked up the job card from my car and ticked all the check boxes of the check list. He then announced to me that all checkups were done and asked for my signature. I didn't want to embarrass him in front of the Fiat guy and therefore signed it. The car was taken out from the service area.
Wishing you many miles of trouble free motoring.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 07:09   #127
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat-First Free Checkup Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi tortoiseNhare,

Just read your thread from end to end and enjoyed doing so. I am myself looking to buy a preowned Multi Jet Palio and having read your thread I am more convinced than ever to buy this idiot proof (read Tata ASC) vehicle.
Hi khoj, thanks. The Palio herself has indeed been trouble free. The Tata after sales service has improved now and a used Palio MJD in good condition will be ideal for daily commute in these days of skyrocketing fuel prices.

The bad Fiat-First experience you had quoted was of 2010. The camp was held again in April this year and I had a pretty decent experience this time.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:44   #128
BHPian

Default Water, water!

Yesterday in the afternoon I saw pools of water inside my car on the left side (both front and rear). First I thought rainwater might have seeped in through partially open windows. That was not the case. It is due to a clogged AC drain pipe and it seems that I had noticed it rather late. I spent a couple of hours to dry up the floor but the spongy floor bed had already absorbed a large quantity of water . I am taking the car to the TASS this morning. I had phoned my regular SA yesterday and he said that due to the prevailing rainy weather the drying job may even take two full days.

For the next couple of days I will be using the Dhamaka Palio of my b-i-l .
Old 16th June 2011, 06:57   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I took my car for a oil change and regular maintenance service. The SA recommended changing brake pads in front and some sort of cleaning of brake linings (?) in the rear wheel. The interval between the previous oil change and this one got extended to more than 10,000 km because of my laziness. In fact I did take the car to Abhishek motors during Fiat free checkup camp when the recommended 7,500 km for oil change was just over. That day the people over there were busy with the routine work listed the free checkup check list and after that I just could not find time to visit them. When the car went in yesterday the odo read 42396 kms (note that the odo had stopped for a stretch of about 1200 kms during a longish trip about a year ago).

I could feel/listen a distinct harsh note from the engine during the last 1500 km or so and in that period avoided revving the engine over 2000 rpm. As architect had noted, 7500 km interval on mineral oil is indeed on higher side and extending beyond that is definitely not a good idea.

Fiat service over the past few months have improved a lot. At least there is no problem of availability of commonly used parts like filters etc. However, every visit of mine is inevitably characterised by at least one event. This time I had just left the car with the SA and asked him to inform me over phone about the bill amount when the car is readied for delivery as I had only a limited amount of cash in hand and I didn't wish to queue up in front of the ATM if not required. In the afternoon the SA told me that including parts and labour my bill will be about Rs. 4300. I had Rs. 4800 with me and therefore just went to get the car.

As the bill was readied to be printed the SA told me that the total bill was about Rs. 5500 (forgot the actual amount). Before the bill was finalised I had a look at the monitor and was surprised to see 4 x 1 litre bottles of Selenia semi-synthetic engine oil as part of the bill. I very politely expressed my displeasure to the SA for not informing about it beforehand and also that I didn't have that much of cash at that time. The SA then went to meet the store manager and had some arguments with him where I didn't take part. The bill was then revised and in place of the Selenia bottles 3.3 litres of 15w40 mineral diesel engine oil were entered. The final bill = Rs. 3793. The big question is, which oil did actually go inside the engine of my car?

Today Abhishek motors had held a free pollution checkup camp as part of World Environment Day. I got my car tested there on my way to get a haircut. The CEO of the service centre had also formally got a couple of saplings planted by a senior customer as part of the day.

How old is your car? If its out of Warranty period, then i would suggest that you purchase the engine oil which you like from outside and then get the oil changed at your friendly neighbourhood garage.
Regards.
drabhayshah76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 10:25   #130
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Water, water!

Quote:
I had phoned my regular SA yesterday and he said that due to the prevailing rainy weather the drying job may even take two full days.
I had a lot of water on the floor. I simply opened the carpet from the sides, flipped them, removed the sponge and drove with the exposed metal floor for about two months. Also did two or three sun-drying sessions with doors left open strategically facing the sun. Things dried up on their own.

But yes, that is not the correct or sure-shot way of doing things. In fact, IF the water does not dry up inside, then it might cause corrosion and bad smell. I did it because I did not want those guys to open the seats and internal floor side beading to remove the full carpet covers.
Old 16th June 2011, 15:40   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I did it because I did not want those guys to open the seats and internal floor side beading to remove the full carpet covers.
Letting them do that is also not to my liking. Anyway, I don't have the option of driving all alone for so many days in order to adopt your method.

PS. I have been given an estimate of Rs. 2,200 including taxes for the job. I was told that TASS has fixed rates for things like opening up the floor etc. Meanwhile I got hold of the Dhamaka Palio and I somehow don't like something about the steering.
Old 16th June 2011, 15:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Letting them do that is also not to my liking. Anyway, I don't have the option of driving all alone for so many days in order to adopt your method.
I never said I drove alone with the carpet open. It just didn't look neat for a few days but who notices the floor of the car? But in humid Guwahati weather, it might be a good idea not to adopt this method.

Quote:
Meanwhile I got hold of the Dhamaka Palio and I somehow don't like something about the steering.
Check wheel alignment and wheel balancing as well as steering wheel straightness. Also check tyre pressure.
Old 16th June 2011, 17:09   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I had a lot of water on the floor. I simply opened the carpet from the sides, flipped them, removed the sponge and drove with the exposed metal floor for about two months. Also did two or three sun-drying sessions with doors left open strategically facing the sun. Things dried up on their own.
Even I had done the same. In my case, I had parked in a low lying area during heavy rain. Water had logged inside the car LHS.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 15:44   #134
BHPian

@drabhayshah76
Sorry to have failed to reply to your post last time. My car is two and a half years old and the extended warranty period will end on 22 December 2011. I have heard about an independent mechanic who is supposedly adept at working with retro Palios. There also is an auto parts dealer, who even our authorized service station sometimes fall back on, for Palio parts. I intend to venture into those unchartered territories only when the TASS becomes either unaffordable within my budget or incompetent for my car.

@architect
I now feel that I too could have tried a d-i-y for drying up the floor. Anyway, when last contacted, I was informed that the sponge was yet to dry up but it would take at most two hours more with the kind of sunshine we are getting at present.

I think the problem of the steering of my b-i-l's car is not due to alignment/balancing/pressure. First, there is an audible noise when I begin to steer towards left. As the wheel turns the noise is no more. Second, though hydraulic steerings are somewhat hard by nature, this one is much harder. I suspect depletion of power steering fluids (wild guess). Is this car equipped with any display for low PS fluid, like we get for low brake fluid etc?

@ch-nathan
How did you get the floor of your car dried?
Old 17th June 2011, 22:49   #135
Senior - BHPian

There is a container for power steering fluid. It's a large cylindrical container on the right of the car just near the brake / clutch fluid container. It has markings for maximum and minimum levels. Check it's level, then replace the fluid if its too old. After that, check the P S rack for problems.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote