Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd November 2009, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Default SX4 - Mid term review at 4000km and How to (Nippon Security system)

I bought the SX4 in the last week of Jul '09, of course after going through a lot of threads in team-bhp. I am grateful to all the members for their reviews and contributions that helped me in taking the decision after doing a few rounds of TD (namely for, ANHC, Linea, Lancer, Fiesta, SX4 .. did not consider Verna due to the looks, and Aveo as I've driven it in the US and felt "not-so-ok" - this is my personal opinion only).

Have driven the car for nearly 4000 kms till now. Given that a lot has been already shared throughout the forum on the car itself, will try to cover what I got specific to my car and something that was mostly left untouched - the security system of SX4).

Accessories
Sun film (Garware Topcool)
Rear Parking sensors (4 sensor, Autocop) - really made sense for the high extended back of SX4
FM modulator (chinese I guess, with USB/SD port, fits onto the cigarette lighter socket) - use it to play mp3s from USB drives
Art leather seats (MGA, given as free accessory from dealer) - will post a separate review on dealers and accessory shops in my city
GPS unit (embassyindia.com, model 410 ; w/ bluetooth, bought through ebay) - came with mapmyindia maps ; note that the embassyindia site sells the model with satguide maps
Philips Diamondvision bulbs (60/55W, 5000K) - though less intensity, found that the white light makes it easier for me to spot anything coming upfront, with respect to the yellowish OEM lights - also I did not require to do any extra mods such as relays as the wattage was the same as OEMs ; did not go for HIDs yet as they need separate projector lamp setup

Performance
Driveability is covered across forums. Found that suspension is tight and hard, but there is not much rolling problem at the back (contrary to what a lot has been told on that) - given that my mother-in-law and sister had found the rear seats quite comfortable, even on rough roads.

Excellent all-round visibility. Also, the armrest fits quite well into the seat.

Handling is good ; I have touched upto 100 kmph till now, and its quite confidence-inspiring. Was able to drive up small hills in 3rd gear (contrary to my earlier Indica that required 1st or 2nd, or Linea), and take over grounds sprew generously with sand without much skidding and queaking.

1st heart-break : When the car's left front mudflap hit a rock and came of, though was fixed well.

2nd heart & wallet-break : Was returning from Konark to Bhubaneswar when a bike coming from the opposite side on my lane hit the car front-right giving a bad dent and stripping off the tyre. It showed that the OEM JK tyres were the worst. Replaced it with the spare and drove on. The JK could not be repaired anywhere yet, and I got a new Apollo fitted as spare. Searched for Bridgestone or Michelin - was not readily available anywhere in the city that time. The denting/painting work was done at authorized dealer workshop for rs.3500.

Nippon Security System in SX4
The dealer did a good job in sending me a representative from Nippon to give me a demo of the OEM security system in my car, at home - I'll cover it here ; something I was not able to find in any forum satisfactorily, and saw that the question was asked by many without a satisfactory answer anywhere.

Note: The remote key given with SX4 has two buttons, one for unlock (I'll specify as ULK), another for lock (here, LK). By 'press a button', I mean, press and then release the button without holding it down unless explicitly specified. 'Turning on ignition' means to turn the key to 'on' position to activate all electricals without running the engine.
At right side of the steering there is a set of 3 buttons, one being 'alarm' (leftmost - has a red light), which we will need for following operations.

1) To unlock or lock with alarm beeps: Simply press ULK or LK resp. This is the normal and default operation - the car beeps twice or once resp.

2) To unlock or lock without beep: Press both ULK and LK together first (similar to the way you press ctrl-alt-del to reboot your computer), then immediately press either ULK (to unlock) or LK (to lock). This works only for one time.

3) Valet mode: This means the car will not at all beep when locked or unlocked. First, turn on ignition, then turn off. Then keep the alarm button pressed till the red light blinks and then becomes steady (about 30 sec).
Do this again to disable valet mode.

4) Disarm body sensors when car is kept locked: Turn ignition on, and then off. Then press alarm button 4 times. Again press alarm button for 5th time and keep it pressed (don't release for about 30 sec) till it makes a sound. Then press LK on the key. Once disarmed, the car body sensors will not work even when the car is locked and something hits the car body from outside - so use this feature with your own discretion.
You can arm body sensors back by repeating the above procedure.
I use this mode when there is a lot of thunderstorm during the rains, as the vibrations cause unnecessary alarm going off from the car.

5) Stopping alarm sound when remote locked car is unlocked manually with key from outside (by inserting in door handle key slot): Turn ignition on, press alarm button, turn ignition off. Repeat this procedure 5 times. The alarm sound will stop.
car-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Car-go- this is interesting info- i need to test this on my SX4
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:31   #3
BHPian

Good Review.

I have the SX4 since last month and have completed 2000 Kms.Am loving the car.Details about the Nippon were really useful
joy_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:40   #4
BHPian

you are all welcome
Will be great if you can all contribute various operational tit-bits on SX4 here. There's always a lot to explore and share in this car.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:46   #5
BHPian

Nice review CAR-GO,

I bought my SX4 ZXi in June 2009, She is one great car.

I just love the semi off-roader - sedan combination.

BTW whats the fuel efficiency of your car??
maglev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:50   #6
BHPian

Nice review Car-go. How about some pics? Just wanted a clarification on the FM modulator that you are using to read USB/Pen Drives. How is the clarity and what are the drawbacks of it?
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Nice review Car-go. How about some pics? Just wanted a clarification on the FM modulator that you are using to read USB/Pen Drives. How is the clarity and what are the drawbacks of it?
I am also looking for FM modulator for SX4. Is it possible to order online
Did anyone tried this online
eBay India: MP3 Car FM Modulator & Transmitter with Remote Control (item 320442899093 end time 03-Nov-2009 22:18:27 IST)

Last edited by aka_iitd : 3rd November 2009 at 22:15.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 00:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Nice review CAR-GO,

I bought my SX4 ZXi in June 2009, She is one great car.

I just love the semi off-roader - sedan combination.

BTW whats the fuel efficiency of your car??
Thank you sir, for the compliments. Yes, its a great combination indeed.
Mileage I'm getting overall is 13kmpl (tank-full to tank-full method done several times ; it was 11 when I started).

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Clarity is fantastic, depending of course on clarity of the mp3 being played
Drawbacks -
It sticks out of the cig lighter socket, so cannot keep anything tall in the cup holder in front of it.
The socket can't be used for anything else when its playing songs (that's obvious).
Whenever I switch off ignition (say, at traffic lights) and switch back on, the last played song again repeats. Not much of a drawback though.
Song forward/rewind has to be done through the device buttons itself (volume can be controlled by the OEM audio system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I am also looking for FM modulator for SX4. Is it possible to order online
Did anyone tried this online
eBay India: MP3 Car FM Modulator & Transmitter with Remote Control (item 320442899093 end time 03-Nov-2009 22:18:27 IST)
I'd suggest you to buy from some accessory shop, say in JC Road (guess you are in Bangalore). As these are chinese, its better to get it right the first time you buy. Any problem, then you can take it back to the dealer easily.
Old 9th November 2009, 16:08   #9
BHPian

Hs anybody fitted rain sensor and light sensor (that lights up the headlights when it gets dark) to SX4? Are such mods easily installable?
Old 18th December 2009, 12:43   #10
BHPian

My second free service .... at 5036 km.
This time as there was not much to do with the car (oil & filter change will be during third servicing), I asked the workshop to pickup my car, and drop back after servicing.
Only thing done was wheel balancing apart from regular washing, etc. - total charges came to Rs.517. Half of that went to labor charges (don't know what is covered under free service then - BHPians please advise if this is ok on part of the dealer workshop to charge for labor w.r.t. wheel balancing).
The service advisor insisted me to get the undercoating done (supposed to cost rs.1700, with 5 yrs warranty), but I did not buy in that. Will probably get it done during third service when before it starts raining. Please throw me your ideas if I have done the right thing.
So, that's it for now.
Old 18th December 2009, 14:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-go View Post
My second free service .... at 5036 km.
This time as there was not much to do with the car (oil & filter change will be during third servicing), I asked the workshop to pickup my car, and drop back after servicing.
Only thing done was wheel balancing apart from regular washing, etc. - total charges came to Rs.517. Half of that went to labor charges (don't know what is covered under free service then - BHPians please advise if this is ok on part of the dealer workshop to charge for labor w.r.t. wheel balancing).
The service advisor insisted me to get the undercoating done (supposed to cost rs.1700, with 5 yrs warranty), but I did not buy in that. Will probably get it done during third service when before it starts raining. Please throw me your ideas if I have done the right thing.
So, that's it for now.

HI CAR-GO. since you are in Bhubaneswar which is a coastal area, it is advisable that you get the underbody coating done. however i would also suggest that you try at least two three places for the rates before you give it a go.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 14:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
HI CAR-GO. since you are in Bhubaneswar which is a coastal area, it is advisable that you get the underbody coating done. however i would also suggest that you try at least two three places for the rates before you give it a go.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion ; will definitely look to multiple quotes from workshops.
One more question - for my old Indica (now sold), once I got wheel alignment done for which the workshop gave me a report with all details on wheel-wise alignments, displacements, etc. This time for wheel balancing done on my SX4, there was no report given by the dealer workshop - is that ok? You don't get any report when wheel balancing is done?
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:31   #13
BHPian

Did he charge you for the wheel balancing and alignment ??
If YES, he is bound to give you a detailed report for future refernce.
INSIST ON IT.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   Reply With Quote