Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 2nd December 2009, 09:35   #91
BHPian

Default Running in

Firstly ITNerd, congrats on the new car... looks good with the mugen spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I had gone pass 1200 kms on the odo and had revved quite a bit till 4500 RPM after 1000 kms (1st service).. a friend of mine who also owned a Civic, recommended me not to rev pass 3K RPM for the first 3000 kms.. While taking delivery, the sales manager, when asked about the initial run-in period, replied of not requiring tap in the RPM level.. asked the service supervisor and only mentioned about not revving that high before 1st service.. the manual, I believe does not mention of run-in period...with so much different opinion, I wanted to know what teamBHP recommendation is when it comes to revving a new car.. Please comment!
I think the rule of thumb is keep revs below 2.5K (1st 1000km), and below 3.5K (till 2500km) for petrol engines, and vary the speed as much as possible (i.e. avoid cruising for long periods at one speed). But I've driven many cars which have been ripped from day 1 without any adverse effects... i guess modern engines are pretty resilient.

I'm following this thread with interst since my SX4 is almost identical to yours (white ZXi with body kit etc.), and I'm also thinking of an upgrade. But my heart is torn between the Laura TSI and Civic!!!

Have you sold the SX4? How much did you get?

Anyhow, congrats again!
Carmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Great! don't you love the way those rubber mats fits! How much you got for?
The mats fit great - I am very pleased with them too
I saw them when I went to get my V Kool films installed at Vile Parle in Mumbai and immediately liked them. They were for rupees 1700.
How much did you pay for your mats?
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:35   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post
Firstly ITNerd, congrats on the new car... looks good with the mugen spoiler!

I think the rule of thumb is keep revs below 2.5K (1st 1000km), and below 3.5K (till 2500km) for petrol engines, and vary the speed as much as possible (i.e. avoid cruising for long periods at one speed). But I've driven many cars which have been ripped from day 1 without any adverse effects... i guess modern engines are pretty resilient.

I'm following this thread with interst since my SX4 is almost identical to yours (white ZXi with body kit etc.), and I'm also thinking of an upgrade. But my heart is torn between the Laura TSI and Civic!!!

Have you sold the SX4? How much did you get?

Anyhow, congrats again!
Thanks Carmageddon! Yeah, for a budget, SX4 with the body kit is a quite a looker! Well, for upgrade between Laura TSI and Civic, Laura TSI all the way..BUT thanks to TeamBHP (for good or worse), I didn't even think of taking a test drive as it was simply out of my mind (wanted a good, if not best, A.S.S, ownership and a reliable, racer machine). So it was only the Civic that fits into my varied requirements amongst Altis, Cruze, Jetta etc.
But anyway looking forward to your upgrade choice!

Yeah, sold my SX4 (Oct 2009) - 5.40 lacs (On road price in June 2007 = 7.5 lacs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The mats fit great - I am very pleased with them too
I saw them when I went to get my V Kool films installed at Vile Parle in Mumbai and immediately liked them. They were for rupees 1700.
How much did you pay for your mats?
Cool! Coincidentally, I got it for the same price. BTW, does sticking the perfume bottle on the dashboard with the sticky tape do any harm or leave any mark once it is removed?
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:19   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Cool! Coincidentally, I got it for the same price. BTW, does sticking the perfume bottle on the dashboard with the sticky tape do any harm or leave any mark once it is removed?
Yes - Over a period of time, the double sided tape will leave a mark even after cleaning. The color difference/mark will be visible.
IMO put a ambi-pure air freshner bottle on the ac vents, it fits quite snugly and can be replaced without bothering with tapes etc.
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Yes - Over a period of time, the double sided tape will leave a mark even after cleaning. The color difference/mark will be visible.
IMO put a ambi-pure air freshner bottle on the ac vents, it fits quite snugly and can be replaced without bothering with tapes etc.
+1 to that. Ambipur is the best and easy to replenish as well. In fact you can have one on each of the corner vents(thats how I have it in my Esteem) and they do their job pretty well.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:55   #96
Senior - BHPian

Update: Car has done 1500 kms so far and not a single niggle..FE is unbelievable.. overall - 14.6 kmpl. Max speed so far - 173 kmph..

I plan to install the fog lights and Momo pedals tomorrow. The imported fog lights cost 4800 only from an accessory shop in East of kailash, unlike that OEM ones available with the Honda dealer, which cost more than 20K bucks.. Here I just wanted to ask, as this installation will involve electrical wiring, would it void any kind of warranty to the car?

There is also a projector fog light.. is this any good than the normal ones?

Some new shots with the TeamBHP stickers... (had a very hard time deciding which one to stick at the back...see the verdict in the pics!).. BTW, I have couple of the stickers left with me, so if any of you want it (Delhiites), I will be happy to offer it for free!

Name:  DSC00063.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  DSC00077.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  DSC00066.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  69.8 KB

Last edited by iTNerd : 11th December 2009 at 14:00.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:20   #97
Senior - BHPian

Amazing FE figures. Congrats mate ! Civic rocks for sure !

The imported fog lamps you are about to fit - are they identical to the OE ones offered by the Honda dealer ?

Nice pics by the way !
Old 11th December 2009, 15:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Amazing FE figures. Congrats mate ! Civic rocks for sure !

The imported fog lamps you are about to fit - are they identical to the OE ones offered by the Honda dealer ?

Nice pics by the way !
thanks! Well, I have not seen it, but the shop that I talked to, mentioned it is same one that is available as a OE with the Honda dealer.. and he imports from taiwan.. will know tomorrow for sure!
Old 11th December 2009, 15:34   #99
BHPian

Quote:
thanks! Well, I have not seen it, but the shop that I talked to, mentioned it is same one that is available as a OE with the Honda dealer.. and he imports from taiwan.. will know tomorrow for sure!
Hi iTnerd - great snaps! The FE is simply unbelievable
The fogs fitted by the company are quite bright with a good light spread too, it would be great if they are same.
I have just about completed 272 kms and maintained dicipline by not going above 3k rpm. Am going for a trip to Gujarat in a couple of weeks time for a approx 400 kms round trip. Hopefully should complete 1000 kms soon.
Regards
Old 12th December 2009, 00:00   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Bro , That's one sexy civic . Keep up the good work !
smalhotra_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 00:04   #101
BHPian

Quote:
The imported fog lights cost 4800 only from an accessory shop in East of kailash, unlike that OEM ones available with the Honda dealer, which cost more than 20K bucks..
i think he's charging on a little higher side....
i got mine for 3500 only... but dont knw if they r imported or not....
they are exactly same to the oem ones...

how much are you getting the momo pedals for??
do post a pic when u get them installed....
captainsokhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 00:10   #102
Senior - BHPian

@iTNerd: Did you manage to get the momo pedals and the fog lamps fixed on your car?
Old 15th December 2009, 15:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@iTNerd: Did you manage to get the momo pedals and the fog lamps fixed on your car?
Yet to get the momo pedals and fog lamps! The fog lamps that I was showned has chrome bits and hated that.. I had asked for the original OE lamps, so possibly, might get in by next week..
Old 21st December 2009, 11:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up 2000 kms update

Update 2000 kms:
Continue to get amazing FE (Delhi/NCR including expressways - no highways)
Tyre pressure - 33 psi

Fog lamps installed
I also got hold of the OEM fog lamps (imported from Taiwan) for 4K bucks. The package came with full kits including wire harness,clips and switch. Still to get the momo pedals though.. I should get hold of it possibly by next week..

Shots with the fog lamps:

Old 21st December 2009, 21:35   #105
Senior - BHPian

@iTNerd: The pics are missing from your post. Can you please post them once again ? Thanks. Congrats on a consistent FE, by the way.