Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th April 2010, 12:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

The rpm doesn't change much. But I can feel a slight bump in the idle which is cyclic. The guys at the service centre say, timing is proper.

Also another thing after the injector cleaning, the injector light doesn't come on at all even during the startup check. Is that a sign of a big problem? Because it was coming on and going off earlier as it's supposed to.

@JVH: Thanks, I'll have to take it up with the service centre then.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:08   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
*bump*

Calling all GTX/S10 owners or anyone for that matter, need some help with a roungh idle and stalling at times on a GTX.

Drifter
When there was a problem with the ignition coil on my Ikon, the symptoms were somewhat similar. Really rough at idle on cold start, when warmed up, the idling was kinda erratic, and not smooth. Also, loss of pickup when driving. To confirm the effect of the same, the mileage too had dropped considerably.. about 2-3 kmpl for the same road and simialr traffic conditions.

Certainly points towards a faulty ignition coil.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

The lumpy idle problems remains in my Palio 1.2 as well. I have checked everything from Spark plugs to ignition coils to fuel pump but it remains! More than the mileage, the pick and performance suffers big time. Top speed is 125 kmph and the fuel average is a measly 10 kmpl with careful driving on reasonably open roads.

Any pointers guys?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:19   #49
BHPian

^^ Take it to a TASS. Get the ECU checked in the diagnostic tool if all the sensor inputs are within the correct range.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 13:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

So I have a list of items to be checked before replacing the suspect ignition coil. ICV, lambda sensor and if nothing else, will replace the ignition coil pack.

Still a doubt on the injector light issue. There is no light at start up anymore which was usually the case before the car went in for injector cleaning.

Apart from a lumpy idle and stall problem when cold, the engine performance is very good. Haven't checked the mileage yet, but I believe it's around 7-8kpl with AC.

Drifter
Old 7th April 2010, 12:40   #51
BHPian

The injector light should come up before you crank ( ideally you should wait 3-4 secs for the light to go off and then crank).

unfortunately there is not much to clean the ICV in 1.6 engines, if am not wrong in 1.2 Palios you can seperately replace the ICV only , but in 1.6 it comes with the throttle body. Throttle body for a 1.6 palio would be around 14k. The ICV is just a butterfly valv, may be you can check if some dust deposits are making it stick to the TB.

I would suggest you check the ignition coils first. Then explore other possibilities.
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 12:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

14k for the throttle body. Some parts are quite expensive even after all these years. Well the service advisor told me that the ignition coil is suspect and wanted it replaced. But I didn't have it done simply because the car was running perfectly before it went for a timing belt change. Also the fact that they wanted to change unnecessary items and charge me close to 80k in repairs kept me from taking his advice.

How do we check for efficiency of the ignition coil?

Drifter
Old 7th April 2010, 22:39   #53
BHPian

Default My 2 Cents

Drifter,

Take the car to an independent, dont trust these *** guys , i had a 1.6 for 4 years after the free service had it serviced outside and never had any real issue.

Take care and happy motoring !
wbd8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 00:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

wdb8779....my problem is trusting the independent garages. I'm yet to find one who will not try to make unnecessary money of off you which is why I didn't want anyone but the authorised service people to take care of the GTX. The worli guys at Tata-Fiat aren't all that bad. The old staff was very good, but they all got promoted to Jaguar Land Rover. This new staff just doesn't have the experience or even the motivation to look into problems.

But I'll not let them have their way. The car should be picked up sometime this week to look at the lumpy idle/cold stall problem and some minor jobs.

Drifter
Old 8th April 2010, 01:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hey drifter,

PM me if you want an independent garage for the Palio.
We had a garage that we got our GTX repaired from and we had no complaints. We tried another garage as well, and they didn't do their job well which resulted in the car overheating on short drives. Believe they didn't fill up the radiator.
Were forced to sell the car, as we didn't need the additional expense nor did we have the need for the car.
Do remember that all independent garages have not really worked on Fiats too much and maybe experimenting with yours, so please be careful when choosing one.

P.S. If I remember correctly, we replaced our ignition coil at around 45Kkm, and it was due to the car becoming jerky and painfully slow, at all engine speeds (not only idle). The engine tone was a lot harsher as well when this happened and it would usually settle down in a minute or so.
Also, the idle was considerably higher.

I think you need to get your injector cleaned. Our Fiesta had its revvs dropping at idle and some minor jerks associated with the same, and an injector cleanup did the job.

Last edited by lamborghini : 8th April 2010 at 01:06.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 01:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the ignition coil has ever been replaced. My GTX has covered around 1.25lakh kms, so if the coil hasn't been replaced, it is long overdue. Also check your PM.

Drifter
Old 9th April 2010, 12:30   #57

Hi Drifter,

I recently replaced the ignition coil in my 1.6 GTX. Cost approx 3500+ taxes.
It was replaced at Fortune, Powai.
The problem that I had was, the injector light would come on intermittently and the motor would become really rough with a considerable loss of power. It was as if one of the cylinders was not firing.
Took it to Fortune, Powai and explained the problem during the Fiat First Service Camp. It was hooked onto the engine analyzer and it threw up an error code which showed that the Ignition coil had gone Kaput.
Replaced it and have not seen the problem since. But frankly driven the car for only 200kms after it has come back.
Please ask the TASS to hook it up to the analyzer. If there is any problem it should be able to show it with some error codes. Insist on an analyzer check.
I hope this is of some help.
Spotty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 21:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Spotty, I'll be present this time to check for the error codes. Although even I have a feeling it is the ignition coil. But still want to check it before getting it replaced.

Drifter
Old 9th April 2010, 22:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty
My GTX has covered around 1.25lakh kms
What!
I thought it was 24,000 kms.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 23:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Nope nitrous, it was clocked...I knew it was clocked, but only came to know the real extent after going to the service station. But Fiat records show the car has been looked after more or less. Has been serviced regularly and is in good condition. I don't really mind the mileage, but only wished I knew so I could negotiate a better price. I payed too much at Rs. 1.1 lakh, Rs 70k-80K would have been reasonable.

Drifter