Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th August 2005, 02:51   #16
BANNED

i had a small bang with my sail before sending it for modifications...due to which my headlike broke...i had to go buy a headlight...
this is something i do not like about gm

i went to milan subway...searched but nobody had corsa's headlight...went to this small place...where this dude was taking time...he said he will get it ..wait for 10 minutes...i was like afool searching for national garage...and it was right opposite this shop..i waited for my minutes and found national garage...and i had caught a rickshaw from milan subway ka start..hehehe...to search for national garage which was a minute walk from that place...rickshaw wala started laughing and left...anyways..i thought better to go to national garage and buy the light...as i will get warranty plus i can trust the company....i went to the company...he said two types..clear type or sada..sada for 1800 ..clear type for 4000 bucks...he was saying chrystal clear type..i thought must be chrystal bulb..i better buy my own and fix them..thsi dude bought the light which corsa used to prove 2 years back...i checked out few sails out there..all had the new lights clear type...i was like i wil come back and see...felt really bad because i just reinsured my car and went for third party.....now i was leaving..i thought i should just go check out that small shop..and ask for the price..i was carrying 3500 bucks...and i hadto buy the light today as rehaan wanted it to start working on my car..i went there and this place..charged me just FIFTEEN HUNDRED BUCKS...
i was shocked...and the sada one was for 1100 bucks...i was like what the ****...from national garage it isfor 4000 bucks...and this small shop is giving for much less than half the price
so guys anytime youl need sparess....do not buy from the company....
dadudeonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 08:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, turbo. I know what you mean about the ride. I'm happy with the Baleno until I see a Corsa on a rough surface. The body DOES NOT MOVE! Wow!

OFF TOPIC: The Corsa is an out and out German car. Sold as an Opel in India. As a Buick in China. A Vauxhall in the UK. The Aveo is basically a rebadged Daewoo Kalos, which GM now sells as a Chevy in various parts.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2005, 18:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey turbo,

Even my dad bought a Corsa 1.4 Gsi in 2003.

Even his was fully loaded with lotsa options like Aura alloys, chrome exhaust tip, pseudo-leather etc etc, car was sky blue in colour.

And of course, even he got a huuge discount ( on the road price lesser than the original ex-showroom price)

The car isnt very great in accelration, but what she excels in is giving a marvellous ride quality. She is extremely quiet at all speeds, there is no wind noise ( as in the Ikon), and the rear seats especially are very comfy. These are exactly the things my mum and dad wanted, so it suits them perfectly.

I have noticed that the car displays an alarming tendency to 'float' or give an uncertain feeling at very high speeds( 130+ kmph), which tends to discourage the driver from pushing on further.

But my dads's car returns very low mileage , only about 8-8.5 in the city. what could this be due to? engine seems to be perfect, dad is not a fast driver at all.

islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2005, 19:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Turbo, nice report. Corsa is indeed the cheapest way to get the 'german car' feel.

You talked about all the good things,...but tell us also about the negatives and why its not really set the sales charts afire.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2005, 19:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Hey turbo,

Even my dad bought a Corsa 1.4 Gsi in 2003.

Even his was fully loaded with lotsa options like Aura alloys, chrome exhaust tip, pseudo-leather etc etc, car was sky blue in colour.

And of course, even he got a huuge discount ( on the road price lesser than the original ex-showroom price)

The car isnt very great in accelration, but what she excels in is giving a marvellous ride quality. She is extremely quiet at all speeds, there is no wind noise ( as in the Ikon), and the rear seats especially are very comfy. These are exactly the things my mum and dad wanted, so it suits them perfectly.

I have noticed that the car displays an alarming tendency to 'float' or give an uncertain feeling at very high speeds( 130+ kmph), which tends to discourage the driver from pushing on further.

But my dads's car returns very low mileage , only about 8-8.5 in the city. what could this be due to? engine seems to be perfect, dad is not a fast driver at all.

There is nothing wrong with this average. This is what Corsa owners say it gives. This is the biggest flaw of the car and the reason it failed, apart from costly maintainence. Of course all agree it has the best suspension and gives a quality ride for our roads. The steering doesnt give you the feel though. And like you mentioned the car lacks the power that will give you the adrenalin rush.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2005, 20:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am trying not to sound biased here ...

but i have been really happy with the car ..
i can bet it will return you anywhere from 10 to 12 within city conditions .. the least i have got is 8 but thats when i totally ripped the car all night ...

the car has been bottoming on those extra steep speed breakers lately (when fully loaded) i have to bring the car to a near halt .. its not very perky till 2000 rpm (thats were i do most of my gear shifting) but if you know how to make the car really move ,it has enough grunt to pull out ...and how important is out accelerating the other car in city conditions ?if it is really important for you then you can forget about FE figures ..
it has a heavy feel to it ...and it is dead stable at high speeds ,in my case very high speeds..when i say so am comparing it with the esteem ... no esteem/maruti owner will like the first drive of the car ..they find it sluggish ,heavy ...i get to drive the alto and the esteem every second day i know what they mean .. but what i know is that an opel and a suzuki are completely different drives and have a completely different setup..liking one makes you dislike the other...just like a hardcore megadeth fan dislikes metallica ..

A.S.S - well seriously speaking i have had no problems with the service station ..the Service manager of Regent Automobiles (where i take my car to) has always helped us out with queries ,advice about the car ,always had prompt service .. he has even called me up to confirm the speed limited in each gear during the discussion on the Speedo error topic ... Me and my dad have been very satisfied with GM,which us led us to our descision to buy the Optra from the same dealer ..

I am sure you guys have your opinions but i wont say anything which i have not experienced ...this has been my experience with GM's Opel Corsa..

JD Power result was out ( idont really know what the criterias are )..it was Topped by maruti and followed by GM .. i believe it is based on Sales and Customer satisfaction..

Corsa sales have really gone up in the past 1 and half years ... the reason why they didnt sell was they were introduced at a very high price (7.5 lacs approx) GM does have the pricing right ..if you ask me it is one of the most VFM cars in its segment..

Last edited by turbo_lover : 21st August 2005 at 20:35.
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2005, 21:26   #22
BHPian

Talking car-mates

hey turbo, nice review man - keep going

i have a similar model - 1.4 Gsi - bought in Sept'2003 - fully loaded with alloys, stereo system, seat covers etc. etc. It has run about 45000 kms till now. I am getting 13 in city and 14-15 on highways with A/C on.

Just as you have mentioned, the ride quality is absolutely superb in its class but the bottom touches road when crossing a steep speed breaker - there's this typical CLING sound everytime that happens. when i guess its some part of exhaust which touches ground.

as my warranty is over, i get it serviced from another mechanic, not the company service station - another reason for doin this is the company service station people in pune are robbers - twice they have given my car without doing anything ( change of oil, air filters etc. ) but just washing.

There are some hydraulic valve lifters placed in the engine of corsa - ( sorry but i dont know if these are common for all new cars). these need to be checked periodically to ensure better FE and believe me - after i got them cleaned, i am gettin 15 kmpl on highway
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2005, 11:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
@gkrishn - dude i checked with my car ..i can slot first gear while in motion ..its confirmed .I dont have to halt the car.
Umm... okie will check out couple of other corsas and then will decide to complain or not.

Quote:
but tell us also about the negatives and why its not really set the sales charts afire.
The biggest draw back is, lack of space in rear. Atleast when u compare with likes of ikon, indica and palio, the rear leg room is not enough. Another one could be FE. But this is confusing part, i come accross people who have got 8,8.5. And the FE which i am getting is was no where this bad. Even yesterday i met a GSI owner who was quoting this bad FE, and his office is around 4,5 kms away from his home. Could this be the reason??

Quote:
JD Power result was out ( idont really know what the criterias are )..it was Topped by maruti and followed by GM .. i believe it is based on Sales and Customer satisfaction..
Actuayll it was opel to be precise. I think chevy was below average. And The opel and fiat which were some where in the bottom suddenly have topped. I am confused.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2005, 12:40   #24
BANNED

everybody complains about opels fe...even i got a sail ...gives me 7 average....obviously i get irritated but i never complain...
the difference between japanese cars and german/european cars is that....japanese cars are more into high fe...and all that...where as german/europeans are mainly cruisers..not caring much about fe....hope this clears out peoples mind..make them feel a bit good...hehehe
Old 22nd August 2005, 19:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Umm... okie will check out couple of other corsas and then will decide to complain or not.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=14
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2005, 19:08   #26
BHPian

But adya,
My car is just 1 year old. And this was like it from the first day. Anyway will raise this issue when i got to sundaram next time.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2005, 21:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Even yesterday i met a GSI owner who was quoting this bad FE, and his office is around 4,5 kms away from his home. Could this be the reason??
frequent stopping and short distance travel will lower FE of any car ...
Old 4th September 2005, 04:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

hmmmm ..
smashed her braking down from 130k's behind my friends lancer...
hoods mildly dented the cooling fans making a noise .. lancer has lost its bumper and tail lamps ..
i fly tomm ..major bummmber ... 4months of pedal to the metal driving and i messed up on the last day...suckss
Old 4th September 2005, 06:37   #29
BANNED

messed up on the last day.....what do u mean by that dude...
Old 4th September 2005, 12:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

meaning i smashed my the front end of my car ..spoiling a spree of accident free driving throughout my vacation..