Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th November 2010, 13:58   #256
Senior - BHPian

I think the only thing you can do is a thorough visual inspection. If your car was fully locked, rat cannot get inside but can definitely cut wires and rubber items in the engine bay. Look out for that.

P.S: Check the hoses if they are ok.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 15:19   #257
Senior - BHPian

Dev, if the rat has chewed the "ratkill" then it should be gone though it may survive for a days time...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 15:55   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think the only thing you can do is a thorough visual inspection. If your car was fully locked, rat cannot get inside but can definitely cut wires and rubber items in the engine bay.P.S: Check the hoses if they are ok.
I checked the hoses and started him up as well. Didnt notice anything amiss so far. I called the ASC as well and they suggested pudina leaves as a deterrent.

I will get him up on a ramp this weekend and get a nice wash done all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Dev, if the rat has chewed the "ratkill" then it should be gone though it may survive for a days time...
That is what I m thinking too. But is "ratkill" effective?

Any other suggestions?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 16:07   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That is what I m thinking too. But is "ratkill" effective?Any other suggestions?
The only problem with ratkill is that if it eats and dies in the nook corner of the engine bay or in the AC vent or in any other place where accessible is difficult then you can't run also. It smells very bad. "Think of it"
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 17:01   #260
Senior - BHPian

Dev, yes it is very effective!

to sanitize the area around your parking lot. couple of nighthes with 2-3 days interval place the ratkill where the rats pass. this way for sure for sometime your parking lot will be free from rats.

but please make sure that the kids or pets come across it.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:12   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dev, yes it is very effective!
to sanitize the area around your parking lot.this way for sure for sometime your parking lot will be free from rats.
I m very upset. That rat has eaten all the rat kill but continues to live in Hariya's engine bay/transmission tunnel somewhere. When I opened the bonnet today, I saw it on top of the engine cover and it scurried down behind it to its hiding place. I started Hariya, drove around a bit, braked hard but I m sure the rodent is inside.

How can I get it out? I m really worried now.

Any tips from any of you eagerly awaited will really help.
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:33   #262
Senior - BHPian

@Devdath, the good old mousetraps work really well in my lab. The mousetrap guy justs hangs pieces of fresh vada inside the traps, the rats just love it, and the next day we have at least a couple of trapped rats running around inside the cage, during rat season.

Keep the rat trap at the entrance to your garage
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:09   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
@Devdath, the good old mousetraps work really well in my lab. Keep the rat trap at the entrance to your garage
Murli, the issue is that now I have parked Hariya at my office parking which is an open area with only a roof and floor. Also, I m sure this rat came from the original parking since there are no other signs of rats in the parking apart from Hariya. But yes, I will try it tommorow.

Someone suggested I make a lot of smoke under the engine bay for say an hour so that it suffocates. Do you think it will work?
Old 24th November 2010, 10:26   #264
Senior - BHPian

Dev, am sure the rat has not eaten it yet, might be saving them for rainy days somewhere

meanwhile take hariya for a long drive and stop in some other place for an hour or so, first thing it would do us run for its life the moment you stop
Old 24th November 2010, 10:56   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dev, am sure the rat has not eaten it yet, might be saving them for rainy days somewhere

meanwhile take hariya for a long drive and stop in some other place for an hour or so, first thing it would do us run for its life the moment you stop
Looks like a good idea though I do not know how it survived the Kerala trip. But yes I will do it soon. Do you think that a water wash will help?
Old 24th November 2010, 17:11   #266
BHPian

Devdath, I have been a passive reader of your thread since a long time. Hoping to buy my own Scorpio someday soon.
My 2 cents. Please try contacting a pest control service. They keep a sort of glue like substance on a A4 sized (roughly) cardboard and the rat is attracted to it and is stuck to the cardboard in a day or 2. Also if you go to Majestic area/ Shivajinagar you can get "ili Pashana" (strong rat poison). remember thee should be no water source nearby when you poison the rat9 or the poison gets diluted)
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 20:17   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
My 2 cents. Please try contacting a pest control service. They keep a sort of glue like substance on a A4 sized (roughly) cardboard and the rat is attracted to it and is stuck to the cardboard in a day or
Which is what I have done. Our office pest control person will come tomorrow and do this. Fingers crossed.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:56   #268
Senior - BHPian

Dev seems like like the the rat is a very determined one pest control guys should help.
also if possible take the car to a wash guys put it on ramp and ask them to use the air(pressured) both from top and the bottom am sure it will work...
Old 21st January 2011, 07:48   #269
BHPian

Default re: Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb

Hi Devdath! Any updates on the rat issue? How did you manage to solve it?
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 13:03   #270
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Hi Devdath! Any updates on the rat issue? How did you manage to solve it?
Oh that is a long story which cost me around 10k. I called up my office pest control people and told them about it and they placed 4 sticky pads in the engine bay. I did not clean Hariya on the outside to observe any footprints and I must admit I found many of them.

After 3 days, there was no rat on the pads but lots of activity in the engine bay. Then the pest control person brought 4 small packets of wheat seeds coated with poison at the factory. He placed them at what he felt were strategic places.

4 days later when I opened Hariya's bonnet, I saw the remains of a rat on a sticky pad, all the four packets eaten and dirt as usual with the left indicator wire cut.

I then took Hariya for a wash. During the wash, the guy told me that he too saw a rat jump out of Hariya.

So, how many rodents were there? I do not know.

When I turned on the ac, there was dust coming in so I knew that the rodent/s had put some garbage on the ac filter so before my drive to Delhi, I went to SKS to have the filter cleaned. To my horror, the rodent had actually bitten a hole in the "jaali" and had chewed up a few wires of the blower too.

I was told that the blower costs INR 5500.00 but the electrician said he had taped up most of the wires so I could use the blower while it lasted though he told me to be careful if I smell burning wires since a burnt blower could burn/melt the plastic dashboard as well.

I have not used the blower at all since then and it makes a funny noise when it is turned on. I m planning to get it replaced once I have the money to do it.

I successfully drove all the way to Delhi from Bangalore via Singrauli which is around 3k kms in all and there were no hiccups but for one.

During night, at times, the headlights suddenly become slightly brighter for a second or two, as if someone has pushed in more current into them and then they are back to normal.

Any clues from anyone?