Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th February 2013, 16:15   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hariya: Scorpio SLX CRDe Barges into my life.EDIT : Happily munching miles at 76k

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
**Next on the list**

1. Install the MLD (Gawddd..when will I do this?)
2. Remove my 50% tints and install transparent tints in their place.
3. A well deserved 3M interior treatment post my return to Bangalore.
One of the reasons I love to drive down to Delhi is Rakesh Automobiles, Atul Kataria Chowk, Gurgaon.

Rakesh is the best FNG I ve met till date and I make sure Hariya gets a thorough check up done at Rakesh's whenever he comes to Delhi. Rakesh is also a close friend of veteran BHPian and the owner of two Scorpios
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Happy Bull, Happy Owner.

This time though, Rakesh had a tougher task at hand.

He had to install the MLD onto Hariya.

Hariya was wheeled into Rakesh's on the 13th of Feb 2013 at 1130HRS but since all the service bays were full, I had to wait. GD was also present at Rakesh's for the service of TB-I.
Since we had some time at our disposal while we waited, we took a short walk to the nearby OM Sweets at Sector-14 for a typical Delhi lunch of chole bhature, makke di roti with sarson da saag, a couple of lassis and gajar ka halwa.

During lunch it suddenly occured to me that I hadn't specifically told Rakesh what to do apart from a brief phone call a week earlier and hence a couple of hours were wasted.

But, to my sheer surprise, by the time we walked back from Om Sweets to Rakesh's, Hariya had already been jacked up, his rear wheels removed, the differential disassembled and the MLD out of its box and ready to be fitted.

Rakesh's promptness, ingenuity and quick work surprised me. At ASCs', it takes a couple of hours just to open a job card, and here, the work was almost done.

The conversation that followed between GD and Rakesh was even more hilarious and I would request GD to post it in his own words...!!

However, not all was well. The bolts given with the MLD were unsuitable and Rakesh had dispatched his boy to look for them. Sterling, Gurgaon, the TVS dealer at Gurgaon, and Sagar Automobiles were searched but the required bolts were not available.
Rakesh then told me that he'd go to Chawdi Bazaar the next day to get them. I too was in no hurry and hence decided to leave. TB-I was getting its wheels aligned at Star Wheels (owned by another friend Deepak Kataria) and as I picked up my bag to go there, the mech who had gone to look for the bolts came and told me that he had found the required bolts..!!

I was confident that the MLD would be fitted the next day.

On the 14th, I had the new X1 launch to attend and hence could not go to Rakesh's. However, Rakesh called me at 1400hrs and told me that Hariya was ready and kicking. I told him that I d come there the next day.

This apart, Rakesh has installed a new WURTH engine decarbonisation machine and I had told him to decarbonise Hariya as well which was done on the 14th.

There were a few things that I ve always wanted on Hariya and one of those was a rear bull bar but I never liked the typical chrome bull bars that most cars sport. I wanted to fit something which would deter others from kissing Hariya's behind but in a very classy manner.

One option was to fit a 4WD bumper and the M&M hook that 4WD Scorpios come with, like Shankar had done but the cost was worth it IMO. Then, when I saw GD's TB-I at Rakesh's, I knew what I wanted. I wanted a pintle hook like the one TB-I had, on Hariya.

Accordingly, post the X1 launch, went to Mayapuri hunting for pintle hooks and purchased one. I also purchased two wheel covers since one wheel cover's lock was broken on the way back from Himachal and Hariya looked awful with a missing wheel cover.

On the 15th, I landed up at Rakesh's and requested him to fit the pintle hook, paint the wheel covers the same color as Hariya's other wheel covers (M&M does not manufacture wheel covers of this color anymore) and paint the pintle hook.

By and by, I also told him to paint Hariya's front bumper frame in rubber paint since the paint had flaked off at most places on the frame and it was rusting.

All this was done with utmost precision and Hariya was ready at 1800HRS on the 15th.

Now for the damages.

At Bangalore, the ASC had roughly estimated INR 10K for the dismantling of the differential and the fitment of the MLD. At Rakesh, the work carried out is as under:

1. MLD Fitment.
2. Lathe work to remove and fit the differential bearings.
3. Front suspension link rods changed.
4. Front suspension lower arm bush changed at the lathe.
5. Rear pintle hook fitted and painted.
6. Front fog lamps aligned, bumper frame painted with rubber paint.
7. Windshield washer motor replaced.
8. One footboard lamp repaired and bulb replaced.
9. Full water wash.
10. Front right foglamp repaired.
12. All body nuts and bolts tightened.
14. General check up.
15. WURTH decarbonisation.

Hariya was at Rakesh's for 3 days and his senior most mechanic attended to it and was continuously supervised by Rakesh and his younger brother.

While the bill for the above work at any ASC would have been INR 15K, all Rakesh told me to pay was INR 5k including spares, lathe and labour.

Post the fitment of the MLD, Hariya has been to Sariska and back with GD, which a round trip of around 420km and there have been no issues.

The engine has become significantly silent and smooth post the decarbonisation. It now accelerates even more effortlessly and its note has become like new. I m grinning from end to end. I will measure the fuel efficiency today.

Overall, it has been a very delightful experience, once again, with Rakesh and Hariya. Post the fitment of the MLD, I m sure I do not need a 4WD anymore and hence the thought of an upgrade has been washed away, at least for a long time now.

By and by, I also noticed that my Yokohama Geolandar AT-S tires are made in Japan, a pleasant surprise.

As I gaze at Hariya from my window standing peacefully, happy and contended, my love for him only grows, day by day.
Attached Thumbnails
Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-20130216_143019.jpg  

Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-20130213_154413.jpg  

Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-20130213_154423.jpg  

Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-20130213_154440.jpg  

Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-20130213_154448.jpg  

Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-20130215_161543.jpg  

Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-20130215_161525.jpg  

n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 11:28   #302
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hariya: Scorpio SLX CRDe Barges into my life.EDIT : Happily munching miles at 76k

Deepak Kataria will beat the hell out of you Dev. The tyres were changed at Star Wheels and not Batra Tires.

Quote:

After a day's work at Delhi and changing all four tires to 255/70R16 Geolander AT-S at Batra Tires, owned by a friend, we went on to Lambagaon, Himachal Pradesh for 6 days and came back to Delhi the day before yesterday.
Though hilarious and very amusing, it cannot be reproduced here for want of decency.

Quote:

The conversation that followed between GD and Rakesh was even more hilarious and I would request GD to post it in his own words...!!

There is only one word to describe this - COPYCAT

Quote:

Then, when I saw GD's TB-I at Rakesh's, I knew what I wanted. I wanted a pintle hook like the one TB-I had, on Hariya.
Even we (Roshun & I) are impressed with the MLD and the concept. Since you willingly volunteered to be the guinae pig, we shall wait for 6 months to get a total feedback from you and then install the same in our 4x4s.

The MLD concept as I understand, enables a 4x2 to do 99% of all that a normal 4x4 would do.

Quote:

Post the fitment of the MLD, I m sure I do not need a 4WD anymore
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 13:56   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Deepak Kataria will beat the hell out of you Dev. The tyres were changed at Star Wheels and not Batra Tires.
Oops, my bad. The tires were changed at Star Wheels, Gurgaon, owned by Deepak Kataria, a thorough gentleman, in word and deed. Highly recommended.

Quote:
Even we (Roshun & I) are impressed with the MLD and the concept. Since you willingly volunteered to be the guinae pig, we shall wait for 6 months to get a total feedback from you and then install the same in our 4x4s.

The MLD concept as I understand, enables a 4x2 to do 99% of all that a normal 4x4 would do.
The MLD is a truly interesting concept and I m more than happy to volunteer to test it on Hariya.
As you observed during our Sariska jaunt, there have been no problems with Hariya so far. Off road testing with Roshun is pending and I plan to do it sometime this week.

With the MLD, Hariya will indeed be able to do 99% of what the TB-II or the Fox can, and suits my requirements perfectly.

Mods: Can you please change the title of the thread to:

Hariya: Now with a tail and the only CRDe with an Mechanically Locking Differential at a peaceful 85k kms.

Last edited by n.devdath : 19th February 2013 at 13:57.
Old 19th February 2013, 14:01   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...As I gaze at Hariya from my window standing peacefully, happy and contended, my love for him only grows, day by day.
Seems like it was only recently we did that photo shoot!

Great going, Dev.

As for the MLD, which brand did you go in for and what was the price you paid? +1 to what GD said -"we shall wait for 6 months to get a total feedback from you and then install the same in our 4x4s." since you " willingly volunteered to be the guinae pig".
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 14:23   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Seems like it was only recently we did that photo shoot!

Great going, Dev.

As for the MLD, which brand did you go in for and what was the price you paid?
Thanks Suresh, yes, Hariya remains as young and eager he always was.

The MLD is a genuine M&M spare part and I procured it from M&M. It cost me 29k INR.
n.devdath is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 20:10   #306
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb

Quote:
Naah, if that was true, all the OTRs would be full of 2WD vehicles with lockers.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 11:53   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Naah, if that was true, all the OTRs would be full of 2WD vehicles with lockers.
I do not intend to do OTRs and I know that on a pure OTR track, a 2WD will always have its limitations compared to a 4WD. This comparison was for expedition travel, travel on mild snow, sand, slush and stuff, where an open diff gives up at times.

I m planning a photo/video test cum comparo of the MLD Vs a 4WD Scorpio and will post the results.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:03   #308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do not intend to do OTRs and I know that on a pure OTR track, a 2WD will always have its limitations compared to a 4WD. This comparison was for expedition travel, travel on mild snow, sand, slush and stuff, where an open diff gives up at times.

I m planning a photo/video test cum comparo of the MLD Vs a 4WD Scorpio and will post the results.
I have a question out of curiosity- Why did you opt for MLD instead of Limited Slip Differential? AFAIK even LSD is available as genuine Mahindra part.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 12:18   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have a question out of curiosity- Why did you opt for MLD instead of Limited Slip Differential? AFAIK even LSD is available as genuine Mahindra part.
While the LSD would have given me limited increase in traction, the MLD locks the half shafts together when the situation demands and hence is the best possible solution to give Hariya some muscle on his biceps..!!
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 12:26   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One option was to fit a 4WD bumper and the M&M hook that 4WD Scorpios come with, like Shankar had done but the cost was worth it IMO. Then, when I saw GD's TB-I at Rakesh's, I knew what I wanted. I wanted a pintle hook like the one TB-I had, on Hariya.
Dev, how much did only the 4WD rear bumper and pintle hook cost you? Also, was the bumper a straight fit or was there any modification needed?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 12:32   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While the LSD would have given me limited increase in traction, the MLD locks the half shafts together when the situation demands and hence is the best possible solution to give Hariya some muscle on his biceps..!!
But LSD would have been better for a purely road usage POV with smoother transition and more predictable handling.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 12:41   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Dev, how much did only the 4WD rear bumper and pintle hook cost you?
I did NOT replace my rear bumper and the pintle hook I used is an Army hook and not the M&M hook. My existing bumper was modified, a mounting plate fabricated for the hook and the the hook was mounted accordingly and painted.

The total cost for all this including labor was around 2k INR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
But LSD would have been better for a purely road usage POV with smoother transition and more predictable handling.
I had this discussion in minute detail with my friends at M&M and it is only after their assurances that I opted for the MLD instead of the LSD. The transition/locking of the half shafts is barely noticeable on the move and is a very smooth, precise process.
Old 20th February 2013, 13:00   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can tell you without a test. A 2WD with lockers is lot less capable than open diffed 4WD.

Very often, the wheels of same axle will be in the slush together, while the wheels of other axle will be having grip. Say there is a patch of slush, both wheels of a given axle will be in the slush patch. In case of 4WD, the vehicle will pull away using the traction available for the other axle. The 2WD will flounder, despite having lockers. The lockers will help only if one wheel is in the slush, and not the other.

A 2WD with locker will get stuck, if both rear wheels have no traction.
A 4WD with open diff will get stuck, if one wheel in front and one wheel in rear have no traction.

Which case do you think has higher probability?

Last edited by Samurai : 20th February 2013 at 13:04.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 13:08   #314
BHPian

Quote:

Dev, I will come to Gurgaon this evening with Fox and my recovery kit (just in case). We can try out the MLD .
Roshun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 13:16   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A 2WD with locker will get stuck, if both rear wheels have no traction.
A 4WD with open diff will get stuck, if one wheel in front and one wheel in rear have no traction.
Which case do you think has higher probability?
Sharath, to me, both the above cases have even probability with a sensible driver at the wheel.
Since I know that my front axle doesn't have traction, I will do my best to ensure that at least one rear wheel has traction. If not on the surface, I will use my Maxxtraxx, use better tires and try something else.

I ve done a modification which I know suits my requirements to the best possible extent without changing my vehicle to a 4WD.

Also, it is only very rarely that the 4wd is used by travellers (I do not intend to participate in an OTR at all) and this addition helps me add additional capability to Hariya. Period.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote