Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st November 2013, 16:11   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 94k km Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Will I buy an M&M vehicle again? No way.

Am I happy with Hariya? Delighted...!!!
Amen. While the Scorpio is a good vehicle for the price, the after sales & service experience leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing gets done satisfactorily if there's no follow-up or influence at the ASC, and for the quality of service offered, the labour costs border on fleecing.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st November 2013 at 16:23. Reason: Grammar
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 16:18   #347
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 94k km Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Every single time, the labor costs astounded me, and this coming from someone who owns a Ford as the other vehicle!
Totally agree with you Benny.
The minute I find a competent mechanic, outside, I m switching over to him, if I dont end up buying a pre owned Fortuner or a new Storme by then.

OT: What have you purchased/driving there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Nothing gets done satisfactorily if there's no follow-up or influence at the ASC, and for the quality of service offered, the labour costs are bordering on fleecing.
Exactly Vikram. And, they fix Hariya as best as they can because they know that I will not let go of them till I m satisfied, BUT, such labor charges, you gotta be kiddin me...

Last edited by n.devdath : 21st November 2013 at 16:21.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 18:50   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb

Dev, Thanks for the update. We have to consider Total cost of ownership when we keep a vehicle for 10 years, especially out of Warranty. This is where Toyota shines brilliantly. It amazes me when my friends take a Toyota Fortuner for a 10K oil change service and come back with bill of about 3k. Mahindra sells it's cars with a value for money proposition, but milk you for the years, you use it outside warranty. I can assure you that the the work you did on engine/gearbox mounts, leaks etc would never be done on a Toyota vehicle until about 200K kilometers.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 23:56   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Mahindra sells it's cars with a value for money proposition, but milk you for the years, you use it outside warranty. I can assure you that the the work you did on engine/gearbox mounts, leaks etc would never be done on a Toyota vehicle until about 200K kilometers.
Tini, I must say that I agree with you on the long term costs on M&M being prohibitively expensive. Which is why I have, very firmly decided that my next vehicle will not be a Mahindra.

Will it be a Toyota? That is being discussed on another thread.

Oh yes, before I forget, I m told that Mahindra officially charges INR 250.00 to replace a set of wiper blades (front only, mind you) if you buy them from the ASC and tell one of their technicians to fit it.

Last edited by n.devdath : 21st November 2013 at 23:59.
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:21   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will I buy an M&M vehicle again? No way.
Hi Dev,

This is exactly what I felt after giving M&M two opportunities(with 2 Scorpio's...long rope, isn't it?) and had to plonk more monies to buy a Fortuner.

The list of repairs/replacements(with or without warranty) of my Scorpio's ownership left me highly dissatisfied. In fact, I also wanted to buy a Thar and looking at the horrible, shoddy, lack of quality product it is- have decided not to buy the same!(my feelings only, apologies in advance to anyone if I hurt their feelings!)

Last edited by getsurya : 22nd November 2013 at 10:22.
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:53   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
This is exactly what I felt after giving M&M two opportunities(with 2 Scorpio's...long rope, isn't it?)The list of repairs/replacements(with or without warranty) of my Scorpio's ownership left me highly dissatisfied.
And this for people like you and me who believe in driving our vehicles with love and in pro actively rectifying the issues before they turn into something major.

I can only imagine the condition of people who are not very car-educated or who tend to abuse their cars due to their driving habits/driving conditions.

No wonder every businessman worth his salt wants an M&M ASC today.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:24   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I recall from my scorpio days is the cost of fuel filter. Mahindra used to charge about 2K for a fuel filter for the mhawk supplied by Bosch. The same filter/part number was availailabe in Bosch outlets for less than 1/2 the price. So assuming Mahindra gets a volume/OEM discount, they are making more than 150% profit on spares.

In hindsight, I should have avoided the extended warranty and done my own service outside after standard warranty replacement.

I recall another incident outside of extended warranty when my scorpio wouldn't start randomly. The dealer *diagnosed* it to the minda electrical switch assembly that gets turned by the key when yo ustart and told me that the full key set is Rs. 8500/- and it is not covered under the extended warranty. I spoke to few officials at Mahindra and they told me that it is not covered under extended warranty. Anyways, I had my doubt and told them that before they changed the key, I wanted to test they minda switch from another vehicle. There was a brand new Scorpio mhawk that was totalled in a roll over and we pulled out the minda switch from that one and put it in mine to try it out for a couple of days. Same issue surfaced. Then after trial and error I found that the vehicle wouldn't start when it was in gear and I was starting with the clutch pressed, but the moment I put in into neutral it would start. Anyways, i diagnosed it to the clutch sensor which had to be depressed to start the scorpio in gear.

Since, I am a bit mechanically inclined and don't trust any dealership, I saved 8500 Rs. that day.

Just like getsurya, I too have the lack of confidence in Mahindra. I would not buy a Mahindra or Tata product over 10 lakhs. That is the maximum, I am willing to risk on these guys.

P.S. The small electrical swich that sits behind your key is not available as a separate part althought it can be easily removed from lock that sits in front of it.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 23:43   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I would not buy a Mahindra or Tata product over 10 lakhs. That is the maximum, I am willing to risk on these guys.
M&M, yes, but I ve heard that TML is pretty decent in replacing spares and not overcharging for service.

An example:

It is well known that the latest version of the prop shaft supplied with the 2.2 MHawk Scorpio doesn't have greasing points anywhere. It supposedly runs on "maintenance free" (that reminds me, let alone bearings, M&M electronics are not maintenance free these days) bearings and if and when something goes wrong, the entire prop shaft assembly, costing around 12k INR needs to be replaced. M&M does NOT supply individual bearings, UJs or the shaft.

On the other hand, TML continues to use the older "grease nipple" technology and has all the individual parts down to a single roller bearing available separately if required to be replaced.

I know that this is just one example. Are there more?
Old 24th November 2013, 11:52   #354
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the above comment the situation of prop shaft becomes even more complex once you get to know that the supplier for both is the same. including the uj cross. hahaha.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 15:02   #355
Senior - BHPian

****Another Trip to Delhi and Back****

And so Hariya had another mundane run to Delhi and back and the odo now stands at 98k kms.

It was another smooth experience with roads of all kinds dismissed in disdain by Hariya.
The only issue faced was 3 punctures, one was a puncture from Bangalore which was repaired at Delhi, the other was a puncture that happened at Noida and the last on the Jhansi bypass.

All the punctures were by nails and metal objects.

The overall fuel efficiency was the standard 10.75-11.4kmpl.

Hariya is now hibernating till the end of this month after which he will stretch his legs to go the Rann of Kutch, for the second time this year.
Old 13th December 2013, 21:08   #356
BHPian

Quote:
It had been 9k kms and a good 5 months since Hariya had been to a service station. A few ailments were beginning to show up and I felt it was prudent to get them rectified. Accordingly, his 94k kms (93747km to be precise) was scheduled at Anant Cars the day before yesterday. A few observations here: 1. I had booked the appointment by phone last Friday, however, when I reached the place, I was told that all the service bays and teams were busy clearing the old backlog of vehicles. If that was the case, why was I given a service appointment? 2. I was further told that while there would be no work done except the creation of a job card so that Hariya could "fall in line" and be wheeled into a bay as soon as one was available. If I had taken him back (a torturous 17kms in Blore traffic), I would have lost my slot. The service advisor was not a very knowledgeable person but was attentive, diligent and accepted the fact that he did not know things but would make a note of them religiously. That was all I needed since I know all the senior mechanics and team leaders there and more importantly, they know Hariya. Unfortunately, a friend is getting married this weekend and there is a lot of preparation that I need to participate in, and hence, for the first time in my life, I agreed to leave Hariya at Anant Cars and came back home by bus. I got a two calls from my service advisor. One, to take my approval for the replacement of the rear differential oil since there was water in it and two, to inform me that all work was completed and to tell me the total bill. Work to be done: 1. Engine oil and oil filter to be replaced. They were 9k kms old. I know M&M tells me that its Maximile Feo is good for 15k kms, but do not believe in believing M&M or anyone who tells me that engine oil, especially in India can be used for more than 10k kms. 2. Steering column to be replaced. It had been rattling away for the past 12k kms and I felt it was time to retire the old part and get it replaced. 3. RHS ball joint to be replaced. Our test drive and inspection had revealed that it was damaged. 4. Tailgate (dickey door in Blore lingo..!!) rattle to be fixed. 5. The engine sump gasket had developed a leak and while engine oil never dripped to the ground, it was always wet and dirty around the rear of the sump near the clutch. Hence, the sump gasket was to be replaced. 6. EGR Valve was supposed to be cleaned. 7. The Engine & GB foundations had worn out (they were first replaced at 60k kms, wonder how they wore out so fast.) and hence, vibrations were on the higher side. They were to be replaced. 8. The radiator top hose was wicking coolant. It was to be replaced. I could not go to pick up Hariya yesterday and went there today instead. While all the work was completed, there were a few things that caught my eye. 1. Grease marks on the dashboard, centre console and the door pads. 2. A piece of the dashboard plastic was not fitted properly. 3. The steering was not centered correctly. 4. One plastic lock on the Horn pad was broken. 5. The steering tilt mechanism was harder than before. 6. A couple of plastic eyehole covers from the rear view mirrors were missing. I had the dashboard fitted correctly, the steering re-centered (though it is still slightly off to the left), loosened the tilt setting slightly (though it is still harder than before) and ignored the plastic locks and the eyelets. Now for the $$$ damages: Parts: EGR Gasket: 87.34 Engine Mounting(F&R): 1327.52 Radiator bypass hose: 44.54 Coolant (2ltrs): 345.86 Sump Gasket: 218.34 Lower ball joint: 606.99 Spring Guide (clutch): 29.70 Steering Column: 3043.67 Thermostat "O" Ring: 14.85 Oil Filter: 131.88 Maximile Diff Oil (Elite): 586.03 Maximile Feo Engine Oil: 1514.40 RustOff Spray (2): 202.14 Wire Tag (For wheel covers): 34.92 Total Parts Bill: 9363.95 While this was okay, here comes the bad part: Labor Details: Clutch pedal adjust: 135.00- Are you kidding me?? Eng Oil and Oil filter replace: 350.00 Thermostat "O" Ring replace: 300.00- It takes 2 minutes and 6 turns of the spanner. The O ring costs 14.85INR and replacement for 300.00 INR??? Oil Sump & Gasket: 360.00 - The part costs 218.34. Engine Insulators: 630.00 EGR Valve Remove and Refit: 225.00 Rear Axle Housing Cover: 225.00- Really M&M?? for tightening 5 bolts?? Steering Column Assy R&R: 1800.00- The part costs 3043.67. Ball Joint R&R: 1035.00- The part costs 606.99. Total Labor Bill-5685.39 The total bill was 15049.00 INR Conclusion: While Hariya feels tighter, smoother and better, M&M labor costs have certainly gone through the roof. Will I buy an M&M vehicle again? No way. Am I happy with Hariya? Delighted...!!!
Recently serviced my Scorpio at 57K
Informed the team at Sirish that had issues with the fuel indicator ( problem from day one of buying the car)
They never sorted the issue out
Scorpio is a good vehicle , but in wrong hands ( Sirish kind of service )
I got a call from Scorpio center asking me for my feedback
I gave a negative feedback , got a call again from Sirish asking why I gave a negative feedback .
That's it , neither mahindra nor Sirish Is bothered today , the way M & M looks at after service is pathetic
My next car from there stable ?
I doubt it
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 12:54   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
That's it , neither mahindra nor Sirish Is bothered today , the way M & M looks at after service is pathetic
My next car from there stable ?
I doubt it
I d recommend you go to Anant Cars for the issue once or try Ranga at Chrome Motors, Mysore road. He is a young and talented electrician.

Sireesh was never known for good service anyway.
Old 15th December 2013, 14:31   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is well known that the latest version of the prop shaft supplied with the 2.2 MHawk Scorpio doesn't have greasing points anywhere. It supposedly runs on "maintenance free" (that reminds me, let alone bearings, M&M electronics are not maintenance free these days) bearings and if and when something goes wrong, the entire prop shaft assembly, costing around 12k INR needs to be replaced. M&M does NOT supply individual bearings, UJs or the shaft
This is actually wrong info propagated by the M&M ASCs themselves. Whether it is due to pure laziness or to enable premature failure of the prop shaft so that they can fleece customers with their spares and sky-high labour charges, only God knows.

I've been greasing the prop shaft of my BS3 mHawk SLE at 10k kms intervals since I bought it in Feb 2010. I forgot to take pics the last 3 times, but didn't forget today. The pic [sorry about the clarity] is of the grease nipple at the front end of the shaft with fresh greasing done. At the rear end of the shaft, there is no nipple, but there is a tiny screw, which if removed [and refitted again], can make greasing possible. Sorry, no pics of that as my phone died on me after the 1st pic.

Hariya enters his youth: Completes 100,000kms with aplomb-photo0140.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 15th December 2013 at 14:36.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 09:32   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The pic [sorry about the clarity] is of the grease nipple at the front end of the shaft with fresh greasing done. At the rear end of the shaft, there is no nipple, but there is a tiny screw, which if removed [and refitted again], can make greasing possible. Sorry, no pics of that as my phone died on me after the 1st pic.
That was a revelation Vikram.
Thank you.
Further, can you please post pictures of all the three greasing points/screws on the propellor shaft so that everybody is benefited?
Old 16th December 2013, 10:45   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Further, can you please post pictures of all the three greasing points/screws on the propellor shaft so that everybody is benefited?
Yes, I will take pics and post them the next time I take my vehicle for a pressure wash; don't have a ramp at home

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote