Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th November 2009, 22:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Great comprehensive review.

Your niggle free experience with the car has added a few more points to its reputation in my mind.

Thanks for taking the time out to ride this. Am sure everyone appreciates it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Nice crisp review of a great car! Wish you many more happy miles of riding this beautifully engineered machine.

Btw, is it 2 litre turbo petrol ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Nice review Akhilesh:

I am glad we have an alternative to Skoda - and I hope that this lovely experience continues for you.

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Congrats on completing the 15000kms . A very good write-up to the point . I am also glad that you are happy with the car and the overall service. Really reading your review I was surprised that Skoda and VW being from the same family are miles apart in the quality and service factors .
Thanks for the compliments. I guess Team-BHP has enthused us all to come out of shell and share the wealth of knowledge and experiences...

@ Dragonov - Actually, Mine's a 1.9 TDI PD Automatic VW Jetta Comfortline

@ vikrantj - I totally agree. Skoda and VW though share technology and parts, they are actually poles apart and this is what makes VW great european car and skoda, the great european joke! (No offence to any owners, )
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 09:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Wow good to here, love the line "I felt quite awkward driving off without having paid a single penny after a full service and this is no short of brilliant from VW. The AMC schemes have my respect.".
This is the first report on Jetta in T-BHP.

Our Jetta had clocked 6K in two months.
No problems as of now, perfect and good highway cruiser.
Due to high speed, ran over a pothole which had end-up in bent alloy. Wheel replaced with new one, alloy cost 19.5k and 400/- for the tire change. This was sheer negligence from my side.
This is the only expenses apart from the fuel bills.
Three cheers to VW.

akhilesh51:can you give in detail, what fan had given some problem in diagnostic scan. And what is effect of it.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 13th November 2009 at 09:09.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 11:25   #48
BHPian

Akhilesh.

Excellent review, as objective as one can get.
To add my two pennies worth.

1. I have done about 4k on the odo in four months' time and have had no issues.
Went for the wishbone check as requested by VW India, the workshop checked it and found to be ok.
2. Asked them ( as suggested by Akhilesh) for a full diagnostic check - this was also done, found ok.
3. Asked them to check all the oil levels - found ok.
4. The OVRMs were lubricated because I felt the right side OVRM was producing a noise when it was retracted/opened- they did that. However they changed the settings somewhat so that the left side OVRM points down ( will get it reset today)
5. They also washed the car ( the boy did not wipe the water from the door sills and the boot sill - I made him do it)

The service advisor is a pleasant, courteous guy.

So except for points 4 & 5, I've had a good experience with a**.
No money spent on a**; I am on extended warranty.

My personal opinion : my mother who has difficulty climbing into cars and sitting at the back ( she did not find the Altis very comfortable at the back during the comparative TD) finds the Jetta rear seat absolutely fine.

I get on an average about 12 kmpl ( ranges from 11.7 to 13.2) on Bombay's suburban roads ( terrible roads). On the highways it is 15 kmpl.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 14:09   #49
BHPian

Akhilesh,
I am happy reading that. I am thinking of upgrading from my Honda City(2006), sometime in the near future. The Jetta is a possible contender along with the Civic. Thanks for your comprehensive report.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 14:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Due to high speed, ran over a pothole which had end-up in bent alloy. Wheel replaced with new one, alloy cost 19.5k and 400/- for the tire change. This was sheer negligence from my side.

akhilesh51:can you give in detail, what fan had given some problem in diagnostic scan. And what is effect of it.
I too have driven over few potholes but my car has been a little more forgiving here and keeping my finger crossed for future.

My diagnostic problem was to do with Smaller of the two fans responsible for cooling. Since, it was smaller fan, I actually hadn't noticed the drop in air-con (we hardly blast it on full power anyways!). Works Manager said that it was one of those parts (along with Horn) which VW was sharing with Skoda upto some months back and due to consistent problems, they have stopped any part-sharing with Skoda. (He could be trying to insult Skoda here for their own company's deficiency but the story has worked for many and as long as I get part replacement, I don't care.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Akhilesh.

Excellent review, as objective as one can get.
To add my two pennies worth.

1. I have done about 4k on the odo in four months' time and have had no issues.
Went for the wishbone check as requested by VW India, the workshop checked it and found to be ok.
2. Asked them ( as suggested by Akhilesh) for a full diagnostic check - this was also done, found ok.
3. Asked them to check all the oil levels - found ok.
4. The OVRMs were lubricated because I felt the right side OVRM was producing a noise when it was retracted/opened- they did that. However they changed the settings somewhat so that the left side OVRM points down ( will get it reset today)
5. They also washed the car ( the boy did not wipe the water from the door sills and the boot sill - I made him do it)

The service advisor is a pleasant, courteous guy.

So except for points 4 & 5, I've had a good experience with a**.
No money spent on a**; I am on extended warranty.

My personal opinion : my mother who has difficulty climbing into cars and sitting at the back ( she did not find the Altis very comfortable at the back during the comparative TD) finds the Jetta rear seat absolutely fine.

I get on an average about 12 kmpl ( ranges from 11.7 to 13.2) on Bombay's suburban roads ( terrible roads). On the highways it is 15 kmpl.

Regards
Yeah, even I got a free wash when I visited workshop out of turn to replace missing screw in door cladding. Was quite impressed since it was not a full service and was done out of courtesy.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:23   #51
BHPian

Nice bunch of info there Akilesh. And yes good to hear bout the ***, hope they get more guys and doing a great job to stay on

Hmm and you have got in a good review especially now that VW is in the air with huge budget ads and so much of buzz bout them.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 19:55   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Akhilesh : Merged your 6 month update with the original thread itself. Best to keep one thread covering the entire ownership experience.

Thanks for sharing.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 17:44   #53

Thumbs up

akhilesh51,

People like you make this forum great. People like me (greedy for info & lazy to share) make the most of this forum.

Excellent Review.

My existing Car lease will expire in Jan 2010.
My heart was on Laura but the super bad A** stories simply didn't allow by brain to okay the hearts desire. I was praying for SKODA, hoping some positive changes in their A** by Jan. After reading your post, Dont have to pray any more i guess. Your post may have put me on to the Jetta.

Thanks for the post, it was truly a eye opener.

On a side note;
You see how desperate people can be hoping and praying poor performing companies to excel, especially when you love their product. Hope SKODA is at least intelligent enough to know that many of us want them to succeed in this market.
vtecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:45   #54

Akhilesh brilliant job and I must admit it was your thread which propelled me towards Jetta I think VW should put you on their payroll , I have driven Jetta for 3K and have no issues infact my feeling is that the sheer quality of drive cannot be put into words it has to be experienced over a period of time ( One can never judge it on test drives).

I received a call from VW dealer today they want to pick up my car for some kind of software upgrade ... did any other owner also got similar call ?
amit7774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 17:46   #55
BHPian

amit7774,

Please share the details of the software upgrade.
Haven't received any such communique from VW or its dealer here in Bombay.

Regards
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:19   #56

Issigonis,

They want to upgrade the Gear Box Software.

Regards
Old 24th November 2009, 17:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit7774 View Post
Akhilesh brilliant job and I must admit it was your thread which propelled me towards Jetta I think VW should put you on their payroll , I have driven Jetta for 3K and have no issues infact my feeling is that the sheer quality of drive cannot be put into words it has to be experienced over a period of time ( One can never judge it on test drives).

I received a call from VW dealer today they want to pick up my car for some kind of software upgrade ... did any other owner also got similar call ?
Thank You Amit, Please put in a good word for me to VW, would love to work for them (Cha-Chang, ).

Can you please elaborate on the software upgrade. You did mention it is regarding gear box but which one (Manual OR DSG). Any idea what propelled them into this upgrade ? Were you called in specially for this upgrade or did it happen during normal service visit ?
Old 24th November 2009, 18:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Akhilesh brilliant job..

Quote:
amit7774,

Please share the details of the software upgrade.
Haven't received any such communique from VW or its dealer here in Bombay.

Regards
Quote:
Issigonis,

They want to upgrade the Gear Box Software.

Regards
amit7774,

Any further details on the gearbox software upgrade?
Do you have the 6 speed DSG auto in your Jetta?
I had a chat with VW India on 20th November and no information was given.

Do share the details with us.

Regards
Old 25th November 2009, 11:50   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Thank You Amit, Please put in a good word for me to VW, would love to work for them (Cha-Chang, ).

Can you please elaborate on the software upgrade. You did mention it is regarding gear box but which one (Manual OR DSG). Any idea what propelled them into this upgrade ? Were you called in specially for this upgrade or did it happen during normal service visit ?
Hi Akhilesh , mine is a DSG .. I was called in for the upgrade by VW dealer who got my car picked up and delivered back too.They also checked wishbone as suggested by you and ran a full diganostic check ... no idea as to what propelled them into this
Old 25th November 2009, 11:56   #60

Quote:
amit7774,

Any further details on the gearbox software upgrade?
Do you have the 6 speed DSG auto in your Jetta?
I had a chat with VW India on 20th November and no information was given.

Do share the details with us.

Regards
VW got my car picked up on 23rd and after the upgrade of my 6 speed DSG and other checks as suggested in this forum they returned my car on 24th.