Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th July 2010, 07:56   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi Vimal, Agree with Mercedized on this. Also 70000 km is far too less for a 10 year old car. Might be safe to assume its doctored. Also, earlier safaris were known for excessive tyre wear so avoid going in for one especially at this price. Not sure about your budget but best to go in for the later TCIC models (2002-onwards) or the later Dicor models. Please understand buying a Tata in the first few years can arguably amount to being a test bed for their engineering!

Cheers,
Adi
This is not always true. I have a 2000 safari 4x4 and the tyre wear is normal. My car was also sparingly used for a couple of years and the current reading is close to 84k. So it is possible that 70k is genuine on this car.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 09:33   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The maintenance of TCIC is cheap compared to other versions. Worst case you might need to spend around 60k to bring it back in shape considering no engine, turbo, gearbox or body work.

For example, the suspension work in 2.2 costs around 20k (from other member's post). But the suspension work of TCIC costs around 10k. I think a 4X4 also has a stiffer suspension.
It cost me 20k.

Quote:
Hi Vimal, Agree with Mercedized on this. Also 70000 km is far too less for a 10 year old car. Might be safe to assume its doctored. Also, earlier safaris were known for excessive tyre wear so avoid going in for one especially at this price. Not sure about your budget but best to go in for the later TCIC models (2002-onwards) or the later Dicor models. Please understand buying a Tata in the first few years can arguably amount to being a test bed for their engineering!

Cheers,
Adi
And so old TCIC has a different suspension setup?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 14:00   #153
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
This is not always true. I have a 2000 safari 4x4 and the tyre wear is normal. My car was also sparingly used for a couple of years and the current reading is close to 84k. So it is possible that 70k is genuine on this car.
Suman,
While I agree its not always true, it is more often than not. I have seen 2-yr old vehicles that have done 60K and then there are cars like yours which have done much less on an annual basis. But frankly, if I don't know the person who has used it in the past and/or there are no clear records, it is better to be sceptical! Mine is a '04 and its done about 120K so again it varies though typical Safaris get used a lot on the highways and hence my reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

And so old TCIC has a different suspension setup?
JK,
I wouldn't say they had a different suspension set up but am quite sure they tweaked it in the first 3-4 years as I remember talking to some guys about Safaris in '02-03 and they did mention about excessive tyre wear. While no absolute rule but am sure you'll also agree Tata vehicles are like wine. They get better with time in their product life cycle

Having said that, I would probably give some leeway for the fact that its a 4x4. Those are rare to find. People who haven't yet picked the model, it almost always makes sense to go in for 4x4. You never know when your spirit of adventure might require 4L!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 14:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

Any answer for my my queries guys????
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 18:15   #155
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

mercedised:
My Safari AC knobs too are giving problems are currently with the mechanic. Any good (electrical stuff) mechanic should be able to repair those. The AC knobs are NOT easily available ourside or else would have replaced it.

When doing AC servicing, of course the process will involve replacing the gas - about Rs. 500, if the AC blower coil has gone that could be about Rs. 4-6k more plus addtionally the servicing cost 1-2K if done outside. Am not aware of the rates at the authorized centre, as I have always got the AC work done outside with a private garage. The AC blower mesh grill needs to be cleaned and the floam that lines the blower connections to the various piping bits need to be replaced as it falls appart after 5 years, and this is managed by the AC servicing guy who uses foam similar to that used in making the sofa top sheet and sticks it with glue to the plastic.

The compressor if ok will not require servicing, the Compressor puley if out (not going in straight line may require replacement, as also AC clutch and bearings for the puley.

Cost for this AC clutch, bearing and puley bits could be about 1-3K totally.

If suspension work is done ourside it can cost as less as 6K and as high as 15K depending on what one changes in the TCIC - bushes only, Ball joints, shock absorbers as well, springs - spring rubber etc. Normally all the stuff is not changed.

Turbo for safari is one has the habbit of reving it too much and driving it at higher RPM's constantly may need a replacement rubber kit costing about 3.5K aroung 1.3L kms and / or a total replacement around 1.5l kms. Like in my case.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 20:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

@ACM:

A-hell of description, that I never knew. Thanks for that. AC servicing is now taking my hairs of the head, it's too painful tobe sweating in the humid atmosphere with AC ON. I am not getting time to get it service and some financials are also needed tobe settled for this service. The suspension is good till now, and the main headache is only AC.

BTW, what is the rubber kit for turbo that you mentioned. I never changed it till now and the odo reads 2,04300L kms. I never revs above 2.5K rpm and now there is a feeling of lack of power from the engine with or without AC, it's always noticable. If the car is in 3rd gear at 20kmph then it does'nt picks up cleanely especially at GHAT's the gear changes are more frequent now. There is no heavy black smoke coming out, so chances of engine rework are gone, also the oil level is not decreasing, it is same at each service. Any idea on this problem??

P.S: The pump has never been opened till now.

Note from Support: Only 2 smilies allowed per post

Last edited by Eddy : 20th July 2010 at 20:38. Reason: Note inline
Old 21st July 2010, 16:27   #157
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedised.

I rev my TCIC safari constantly in the 2750-3750 range. It is just my style of driving and I finally did blow the Turbo and had to get it replaced.

A precursour to this blown Turbo was a couple of replacement of rubber kit for the turbo. Most users would not require it, and I recommend not touching the turbo till you finally blow it and require to then replace the same. - It would be replaced for less than 30K. (It always needs to be accompanied by a full service change of engine oil, filters etc.)

The Turbo of the safari TCIC is very reliable and you may never need to replace yours.

The sure sign of replacement required is a significant loss of power - prevening climbing bridges (this can also be due to a blocked cat converter), white smoke (oil) which can also be the fuel pump requiring service (costing Rs. 3500).

It is all in the style of driving and if one is decent with the car, and not mad like me the fuel pump and the turbo will last the life of the car.

The AC on the other hand how ever careful we are will get clogged with dust and that needs to be cleaned.

I have just ordered a 2.5K set of AC knobs and switches. The sticking with glue trick for the AC knobs is no longer working as the plastic bits are too old to take the pressure load. Hope to receive them today evening and replace it. Lets see how it goes.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 16:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

Time to change the title of thread I guess 2Lakh KM milestone is crossed.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 18:08   #159
Senior - BHPian

@ACM: You BLEW the turbo once. Shocking! You are a crazy driver. BTW, there is no white smoke or excessive black smoke, I think that the culprit is the fuel pump. I remembered a long time back at 1,70000kms the fuel pump was leaking diesel, but it automatically stopped leaking diesel after sometime and is, as it is, till now. AC knobs are working in my car, but the Left side hand grabbing rail (that is fitted above the window inside the car for grabbing hands) is broken, I got it welded once and the time again to get it welded.

P.S: How to know whether the TURBO is working or not.(I hear turbo spooling sound above 2K)

@amit: Yes, the HALLMARK is reached. Probably, I will request the MODS after 10K more kms.
Old 21st July 2010, 23:48   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Suman,
While I agree its not always true, it is more often than not. I have seen 2-yr old vehicles that have done 60K and then there are cars like yours which have done much less on an annual basis. But frankly, if I don't know the person who has used it in the past and/or there are no clear records, it is better to be sceptical! Mine is a '04 and its done about 120K so again it varies though typical Safaris get used a lot on the highways and hence my reasoning.

JK,
I wouldn't say they had a different suspension set up but am quite sure they tweaked it in the first 3-4 years as I remember talking to some guys about Safaris in '02-03 and they did mention about excessive tyre wear. While no absolute rule but am sure you'll also agree Tata vehicles are like wine. They get better with time in their product life cycle

Having said that, I would probably give some leeway for the fact that its a 4x4. Those are rare to find. People who haven't yet picked the model, it almost always makes sense to go in for 4x4. You never know when your spirit of adventure might require 4L!

Cheers,
Adi
Sorry I was talking about the tyre wear. Totally agree on the kms.

for TCIC, 4L may be required even in normal driving conditions. There was a sharp left turn followed by a steep parking lot with a bumper at the end and a sharp right turn. Due to lack of space, I could not build momentum, and the car just did not climb the bumper. Half clutching led to clutch burning smell and smoke. Reversed the car, put it in 4L, and it was easy.

at 4L, the car has a lot of power. Without touching the accelerator, you could clear stretches in 4L 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Mercedised.

The Turbo of the safari TCIC is very reliable and you may never need to replace yours.

The sure sign of replacement required is a significant loss of power - prevening climbing bridges (this can also be due to a blocked cat converter), white smoke (oil) which can also be the fuel pump requiring service (costing Rs. 3500).

It is all in the style of driving and if one is decent with the car, and not mad like me the fuel pump and the turbo will last the life of the car.

The AC on the other hand how ever careful we are will get clogged with dust and that needs to be cleaned.
Fuel pump serving at the authorized service center cost me around 8k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@ACM:

A-hell of description, that I never knew. Thanks for that. AC servicing is now taking my hairs of the head, it's too painful tobe sweating in the humid atmosphere with AC ON. I am not getting time to get it service and some financials are also needed tobe settled for this service. The suspension is good till now, and the main headache is only AC.

BTW, what is the rubber kit for turbo that you mentioned. I never changed it till now and the odo reads 2,04300L kms. I never revs above 2.5K rpm and now there is a feeling of lack of power from the engine with or without AC, it's always noticable. If the car is in 3rd gear at 20kmph then it does'nt picks up cleanely especially at GHAT's the gear changes are more frequent now. There is no heavy black smoke coming out, so chances of engine rework are gone, also the oil level is not decreasing, it is same at each service. Any idea on this problem??

P.S: The pump has never been opened till now.

Note from Support: Only 2 smilies allowed per post
Congratulations. Please share tips so that we could also drive 2L kms without any major problems.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:15   #161
Senior - BHPian

@sumann:

Thanks for the compliment. For tips you guys better know how to maintain a car than me. I just do the regular servicing of the car at scheduled times i.e. 7500-8000kms which includes oil, oil filter and diesel filter. Apart from that I have never done engine decarb, flush,.... I only got Bardahl engine oil additive once. Also, I change the regular maintenance parts, when required.

P.S: Now, a PHOTOSHOOT of the SUV is due, I know. Will post pictures of the car, as soon as possible.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:26   #162
Senior - BHPian

Got the car checked today at SC. I am going in for Kanha National park (2500kms trip) this week, taking a leave from hectic office work. The works tobe carried out were as below:

1) Water leaking from somewhere near front doors.(upper side)

2) Wheel Alignment

3) Battery Top-up.(water level was low)

4) Wheel greasing (Rear)

No engine oil, filters change this time. As the actual servicing when the engine oil should be changed is still 2000kms to go.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:55   #163
Senior - BHPian

Got the Central Link of the steering and rear brake pads + liners changed. Costed 4200 INR. Also got the AC switches tuned for better working.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:06   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Got the Central Link of the steering and rear brake pads + liners changed. Costed 4200 INR. Also got the AC switches tuned for better working.

How much was the cost for teh steering? Was it a TASS or outside garage?

My safari is giving only around 8 kmpl with full AC in city. Is that what you are also getting?

By the way, I need to change the headlights of the safari. I talked to a couple of dealers and this is what they said.

1. Replace the stock headlight with 100 (?) bulb without changing anything else (around 550).
2. Plug in something like Philips with additional wiring kit (around 1000).

Mine is a twin headlight safari so they may not be able to use the normal wiring kit with one light.

Please et me know the pros and cons of the above solutions.
Old 14th August 2010, 19:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

Hello Suman, Long time we talked since.

The central link costed 3000 Rs (inside TASC) but I will advise strictly against it as all it does is make the steering abit more tight, so that it becomes easier to handle the car at higher speeds.

My Safari recently on a Chitrakoot trip returned me 12kmpl instead of the fact that the pump leaks sometimes. That's an okay figure for a TCIC, I presume.

1) I got the Philips rally 100W bulbs for the lower beam (you know in twin headlamp the bigger part of H\L acts as low beam.) costed some 200 Rs.The relay H\L wiring kit costed 350 Rs and the whole expense turned out tobe 600Rs including labour and bulbs (+relay wiring kit).

2) My H\L are still the ones that came with stock car, they have turned yellowish but yet the throw is okay for night driving at 80-90kmph. So, no change for now. Instead of going in for newer stock H\L get the Hella's that will also cost some 3-4K.

My Safari also has twin H\L.

A new problem arised in the car, the car when not started for 2-3 days and when I start it after 2-3 days it doesnot cranks sometimes or sometimes very slow. But, once it gets started for the whole day there is no such problem. I assume it as a faulty battery and the current battery has been doing it's job for last 2 years. It's a Exide one and I will shift to Amaron(?)(any reviews) this time.

Thanks,
-Abhishek.

Last edited by mercedised : 14th August 2010 at 19:59.