Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 21:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,737
Thanked: 4,315 Times
Default

7.7 liters. But I use about 6.75 liters in my TCIC engine. comes up just short of the max mark
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 22:11   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Sure, will do that.

I think the engine oil capacity is 7.5 ltrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
7.7 liters. But I use about 6.75 liters in my TCIC engine. comes up just short of the max mark
So, What is the correct from the above two.
My TASC always filled 8ltrs(except last service).

Also,
can any body tell me some interior mods for my car, so that it looks somewards new. and how to get rid of the vibrations produced by door speakers.

Last edited by mercedised : 1st December 2009 at 22:13.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 22:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,737
Thanked: 4,315 Times
Default

If The TASC always fills 8 litres, have you checked the levels at that time ?

The book says 7.7 litres. TASC argues that oil filter will take some, that's why they need that much. My 8-9 oil changes have always been the same : 7.7 is not required .. takes the oil to above max level. I have them fill up ony 6.5 litres, and then add a can of additive to make it about 6.8 litres. And never had any problems.

When they have filled 7.7, I have had them drain out excess oil.

Just in case you have any doubts, stand by them when they fill in that 8 litres and see how much does it come up to - how much above the max mark on the dip-stick.

Try it out yourself.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 23:27   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If The TASC always fills 8 litres, have you checked the levels at that time ?

The book says 7.7 litres. TASC argues that oil filter will take some, that's why they need that much. My 8-9 oil changes have always been the same : 7.7 is not required .. takes the oil to above max level. I have them fill up ony 6.5 litres, and then add a can of additive to make it about 6.8 litres. And never had any problems.

When they have filled 7.7, I have had them drain out excess oil.

Just in case you have any doubts, stand by them when they fill in that 8 litres and see how much does it come up to - how much above the max mark on the dip-stick.

Try it out yourself.

Last time The oil was filled in front of me and the dip stick showed the upper oil mark at 7.5 litres.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 13:15   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Hi guys,
Just back from 1000kms journey the ODO now reads 14,4036Kms(approx.). The beast pulled out mileage of 13.4kmpl with speeds of 80-90kmph.
I am lovin it.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 20:14   #21
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Exclamation

@ mercedised !

Hi ! can you please provide general maintenance cost
1) service cost typical
2) long term maintenance cost - clutch / turbo / suspension / timing belt/ brakes etc
3) cost of spares like - Door mirror / front lamps / rear lamps

I have decided to buy a used SUV ,found the safari to be most comfortable for my height. But horror stories of maintenance deter me.

Please guide.
Thanks & regds,
Kedar
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 12:57   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@ mercedised !

Hi ! can you please provide general maintenance cost
1) service cost typical
2) long term maintenance cost - clutch / turbo / suspension / timing belt/ brakes etc
3) cost of spares like - Door mirror / front lamps / rear lamps

I have decided to buy a used SUV ,found the safari to be most comfortable for my height. But horror stories of maintenance deter me.

Please guide.
Thanks & regds,
Kedar
The service costs that i will mention will be of TCIC Safari. Which has been discontinued by TATA. The Safari of present day comes with DICOR engine, which has nill similarity with the 2.0 TCIC which i own.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 22:47   #23
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Smile

@ mercedised !
Hi I am indeed looking for safari TCIC cost. BTW its still sold as a LX variant and is not discontinued ( for sale, if they are clearing old stock i dont know.)
I want the simpler technology diesel since i am buying a used SUV.
I have td'ed it , its sluggish as compared to both 3 lit. dicor and 2.2 vtt, but the torque is there and it suits my style of driving.
I am looking to buy the Safari , as i found it to be most comfortable for 5 people and maybe 2 bacchus behind. The ride quality is excellent. I have owned 3 Tatas before so am quite aware of the niggles so to speak.
I believe ( pls. correct me if am wrong ) that the TCIC version is cheaper to maintain and cheaper to fix than its worthier specially since i am buying used.
I have seen some immaculate condition Tata group vehicles with low mileage ( around 35 k) and full service records.
In light of this ,I would appreciate if you share your experience in terms of actual costs.
regds,
Kedar
( P.S. Indore reminds me of great fun in summer vacations and 'mava batis' from madhuram )
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:42   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Here it comes HIGHNOON

DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL CONNECTION WITH INDORE.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@ mercedised !
Hi I am indeed looking for safari TCIC cost. BTW its still sold as a LX variant and is not discontinued ( for sale, if they are clearing old stock i dont know.)
I want the simpler technology diesel since i am buying a used SUV.
I have td'ed it , its sluggish as compared to both 3 lit. dicor and 2.2 vtt, but the torque is there and it suits my style of driving.
I am looking to buy the Safari , as i found it to be most comfortable for 5 people and maybe 2 bacchus behind. The ride quality is excellent. I have owned 3 Tatas before so am quite aware of the niggles so to speak.
I believe ( pls. correct me if am wrong ) that the TCIC version is cheaper to maintain and cheaper to fix than its worthier specially since i am buying used.
I have seen some immaculate condition Tata group vehicles with low mileage ( around 35 k) and full service records.
In light of this ,I would appreciate if you share your experience in terms of actual costs.
regds,
Kedar
( P.S. Indore reminds me of great fun in summer vacations and 'mava batis' from madhuram )
OK then.
Mileage done : 1,65000kms (it was 1,40000kms when i wrote review here at T-BHP)

List of works carried out:
Till 1,00000 kms:
WORKS ODO reading COST

Timing Chain : 90,000kms 1000rs (approx)

Clutch plate: 73,000kms 8-8.5K rs(including labour)

Regular servicing: 7500kms(every) 3000rs(every service)


After 1,00000kms :

Suspension overhaul 1,10000kms 15000rs

Front tyres 1,20000kms 11000rs(approx.)

Power windows 1,34000kms 1100rs(approx.)

Tappet cover gasket 1,40000kms under 500rs.



apart from above works there were some regular oil changes too:


Differential oil: Every 40,000kms cost between 200-300rs\ltr

Gear oil Every 40,000kms cost between 200-300rs\ltr



Any breakdowns faced: NO breakdowns from the day i bought her. It always starts in 1st crank no matter if i started it sometimes after 25 days in winter.


Issues Faced: No major apart from regular checkups mentioned above.


Issues Facing: Diesel Leakage from PUMP. It needs some rubber part change and cost quoted to me is 1000rs from TASC. Still, i didnot have time to give it to TASC even for a day. so, its leaking now too and car is not giving me any problems. so, i will keep it that way untill i get some time.

Rattling noises have increased, but, they will also be taken care of once i get some time for her.


Average: Every time i get onto Highway i have managed 13+km\ltr and once i got 15km\ltr, its hard to believe but, that's the real story.

Speeds at which i normally travel: 40-50kmph in cities and 80-110kmph on good highways(2lanes + 4lanes).


Suggestion by me for any buyer: The car lacks PICK-UP a little bit. so, if you are a sedan lover than donot buy TCIC. as you will feel like driving a truck. Only those WHO?? loves a TIPICAL INDIAN STYLE car and driving they only meant to purchase a TCIC otherwise one might have to regret the decision.


Am i happy with vehicle:

TRULY IN LOVE WITH HER.


Till what time i will keep her:

Thinking of selling it once i cross 3,00000kms mark.


Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 11th March 2010 at 13:49.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 15:22   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

140K is really a mile stone in the history of Safari. And you wanted to sell @ 300K. That ridiculous. Anyways .

Does anyone know the highest clicks done on a Safari?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 11th March 2010 at 15:25.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 15:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Your post about cost for 'reclaiming after 1lac' has brought 'santhi' to my mind

I dont have EW and just crossed 60k/2years .
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 18:32   #27
AVR
BHPian
 
AVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 930
Thanked: 511 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Your post about cost for 'reclaiming after 1lac' has brought 'santhi' to my mind

I dont have EW and just crossed 60k/2years .
@JK - Even I had once thought my Safari would fall apart as soon as it reaches 100,000 but actually been pleasantly surprised. Its currently at 107,000 and as smooth as ever though have not been as lucky as Mercedised in terms of average....on a good day it touches 10.5. No major expenses so far.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 18:44   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
140K is really a mile stone in the history of Safari. And you wanted to sell @ 300K. That ridiculous. Anyways .

Does anyone know the highest clicks done on a Safari?
Highest milage i have seen on a Safari was 2,43000kms and that guy came to TASC for Timing chain replacement told me that Engine was untouched (same was told to me by TASC mechanic when i asked him secretely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Your post about cost for 'reclaiming after 1lac' has brought 'santhi' to my mind

I dont have EW and just crossed 60k/2years .
It's a Royal Vehicle, so, untill you are following your regular scheduled services. The car will be serving you ROYALLY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
@JK - Even I had once thought my Safari would fall apart as soon as it reaches 100,000 but actually been pleasantly surprised. Its currently at 107,000 and as smooth as ever though have not been as lucky as Mercedised in terms of average....on a good day it touches 10.5. No major expenses so far.

Cheers,
Adi

Hey AVR,
I am facing some Diesel Pump leakage issue in my car. Can you pleas suggest estimate cost for a PUMP OVERHAUL.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 18:55   #29
AVR
BHPian
 
AVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 930
Thanked: 511 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

It's a Royal Vehicle, so, untill you are following your regular scheduled services. The car will be serving you ROYALLY.

That's very true!

Hey AVR,
I am facing some Diesel Pump leakage issue in my car. Can you pleas suggest estimate cost for a PUMP OVERHAUL.
Fuel pump overhaul is typically 6-10k (as I was told once when I thought my Safari needed it but didnt need it eventually)

Only issue is with making sure you give it for service to the authorized personnel only.
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 19:04   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Fuel pump overhaul is typically 6-10k (as I was told once when I thought my Safari needed it but didnt need it eventually)

Only issue is with making sure you give it for service to the authorized personnel only.
How's your SAFARI going.
Recently, one FAT man sat onto the rearmost seat (jumper seats) and the seat came out(the part which supports BACK) on a bump. How to get rid of that now??

Ofcourse to Authorized SC only. But, 6K is damn high for a pump overhaul. I asked my mechanic and he said that 2000rs for pump overhaul including labour and parts needed.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting sumannandy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 163 19th April 2015 07:54
Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review AVR Long-Term Ownership Reviews 118 2nd January 2014 12:43
TATA Safari TCIC Maintenance Cost ibm_jennifer Long-Term Ownership Reviews 90 16th October 2011 14:10
TATA safari TCIC or the DICOR maheepgupta SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 24 12th September 2007 11:29
Safari TCIC LX or Safari DICOR LX arindam SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 19 10th January 2007 17:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks