Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 20:48   #301
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

The car DEPARTED permanently from my garage. Sold it for 2.5 Lakhs, it was a moment when first time in my life I shed my tears for something which is mad-made. This thread has served its purpose. Bye bye my Loving Companion.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:01   #302
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The car DEPARTED permanently from my garage. Sold it for 2.5 Lakhs, it was a moment when first time in my life I shed my tears for something which is mad-made. This thread has served its purpose. Bye bye my Loving Companion.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif

well it served its purpose to serve you so well. Good you have moved on.
I am awaiting my balance payment.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:08   #303
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif

well it served its purpose to serve you so well. Good you have moved on.
I am awaiting my balance payment.
Ohh!! what was the amount you sold it for and which model (year) was your car? Also, any new Safari or other car by anyway?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 09:24   #304
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

@mercedised !
For 2.4 ( it was a 2004 lx ). yet awaiting 1.0 and its still with me.
Previous offers were all below 2 lacs.
Mumbai used car resell is poor.
Brokers make a killing and both transferer and ransferee simply die.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 09:32   #305
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@mercedised !
For 2.4 ( it was a 2004 lx ). yet awaiting 1.0 and its still with me.
Previous offers were all below 2 lacs.
Mumbai used car resell is poor.
Brokers make a killing and both transferer and ransferee simply die.
Hardly any difference between both of our vehicle resale values; so did you find a genuine buyer or a dealer? I was too quoted below 2 Lacs by dealers; they all quoted between 1.75-2.01 Lakhs. I refused their offers and told them to talk to me if they get any buyers for 2.5 Lakhs; as the condition of the car was top-notch they all were busy in convincing me some of them stretched till 2.3L and gave-up, at the end one of them finally agreed on a price of 2.47L and considering the situation of me getting a used DICOR, I sold the lovely SUV.

Are you purchasing any new vehicle? and if you get across any good 4x4 Safari please PM me.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 15:49   #306
AVR
BHPian
 
AVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 930
Thanked: 511 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

@Mercedised, Highnoon,

You guys seem to have gotten a good deal for your vehicles. I'll be following your lead in the next 5-6 months once I know what I can buy next.

Abhishek, what Safari have you found for yourself? Am looking for a good 4x4 Safari. If you run into one let me know.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 17:50   #307
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

@mercedised !

I believe you get better price if the buyer plans to take the vehicle out of a metro. In my case i was lucky to find a scrap dealer through a vendor of mine, who wants to take the vehicle to UP.
The vehicle is in excellent condition now; in fact in much better condition than ever when i was using it, but i suspect that doesnt amount to much when it comes to resell of high mileage old vehicles.
I 'll let you know if i come across a 4x4.
Currently using the logan much more. Its CNG and the saving , smoothness and cushy ride is simply excellent.
And no i wont go for safari again. It was good while it lasted , but diesel prices shooting up and there is talk of
deregularization of the fuel.
If it happens in a short while , the fuel cost 'll go up so much it may be difficult to run heavy low FE vehicles.
I 'll wait for the Reanult duster / fabia station wagon / the new MPV based on Ritz. All 3 fuel effecient oil burners.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 4th August 2011 at 17:56.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 20:33   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
@Mercedised, Highnoon,
You guys seem to have gotten a good deal for your vehicles. I'll be following your lead in the next 5-6 months once I know what I can buy next.
Abhishek, what Safari have you found for yourself? Am looking for a good 4x4 Safari. If you run into one let me know.
Cheers,
Adi
I found a Safari 3.0L DICOR EX ODO at 50,000 kms. Indeed, I wanted a 3.0L as I love its low-end torque and don't love revv'ing the cars it is suitable for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@mercedised !

I believe you get better price if the buyer plans to take the vehicle out of a metro. In my case i was lucky to find a scrap dealer through a vendor of mine, who wants to take the vehicle to UP.
The vehicle is in excellent condition now; in fact in much better condition than ever when i was using it, but i suspect that doesnt amount to much when it comes to resell of high mileage old vehicles.
I 'll let you know if i come across a 4x4.
Currently using the logan much more. Its CNG and the saving , smoothness and cushy ride is simply excellent.
And no i wont go for safari again. It was good while it lasted , but diesel prices shooting up and there is talk of
deregularization of the fuel.
If it happens in a short while , the fuel cost 'll go up so much it may be difficult to run heavy low FE vehicles.
I 'll wait for the Reanult duster / fabia station wagon / the new MPV based on Ritz. All 3 fuel effecient oil burners.
Yes, indeed the person to whom I sold the car was from Gwalior some 400kms away from my city. How's CNG performance? and what' the running costs including CNG per kg.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 23:23   #309
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

@mercedised !

CNG in the city traffic with AC works out to >/=15km per kg ( @ 31.47/ kg) running costs are low. I am currently doing about 2200 km / month. On highway it has gone to as high as 26.xx km / kg. Imagine running 2200 in just about 4000 rs.
Diesel on safari will simply ruin my budget. After the top engine job , my FE had alsO reduced to 8.75 /9 kmpl in the city.
Oddly in my last post , we had discussed the diesel deregularization.
It was on front page of both times and DNA.
And the CNG performance is nice. Adequate for me. I drive sedately and try to squeeze every last bit from the fuel.
The high octane of CNG combined with the high torque of the 1.6 lit renault K7M engine makes it a nice experience. And then again at the end of the day petrol engines are way smoother are they not ?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 5th August 2011 at 23:26.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 16:32   #310
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

@Mercedized!

The buyer backed out of the deal. I have punished him a hefty cut from his advance. Enough to change the tyres, mags and a bit of weight reduction , a thorough service job at Tatas and i get to keep the vehicle also.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

So my primary set of wheels is the Logan and the weekend warrior is Safari.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 22:19   #311
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@Mercedized!

The buyer backed out of the deal. I have punished him a hefty cut from his advance. Enough to change the tyres, mags and a bit of weight reduction , a thorough service job at Tatas and i get to keep the vehicle also.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

So my primary set of wheels is the Logan and the weekend warrior is Safari.
Oh man! that's great, I am sure you will love her companion now when you are to keep her. Give her nice set of alloys, get the AC cleaned (I had faced most of the issues with AC not cooling enough did'nt ever came to knew the actual reason.), leather covers, good floor mats, change\service all the power window motors (if kaput) and switches change are must, Change all the fuses to OEM specs to prevent electrical issues, get the rear coil springs changed for best suspension results.

Last edited by mercedised : 5th September 2011 at 22:20.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 22:45   #312
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Oh man! that's great, I am sure you will love her companion now when you are to keep her. Give her nice set of alloys, get the AC cleaned (I had faced most of the issues with AC not cooling enough did'nt ever came to knew the actual reason.), leather covers, good floor mats, change\service all the power window motors (if kaput) and switches change are must, Change all the fuses to OEM specs to prevent electrical issues, get the rear coil springs changed for best suspension results.
Ac i have serviced twice.The blower works very slowly i must say. also Had to change the rear cooling coil.
How much the rear springs cost u ?
Power window motors are ok. Just some service should do the trick.
Rear wiper though gone kaput. and the front wiper motor assembly misbehaves may need change.
any idea about the cost.
I may maaf the expense of alloys but would go for new tyres atleast the front 2. I have also decided to get rid of the stephney. shall keep a tyre inflator and repair kit. My back doesnt permit me to change the wheels anyway.
The alternator battery changing fuse gave me trouble lately. the 80 A one.Have serviced the alternator and the fault doesnt lie there. so it must be the quality of fuses as u suggested.
also the plastic trims for the pillars are cracking. and they creak some times. any idea how much they cost ?
suspension , engine , gears in very good shape.
the vehicle rolls a fair bit on very pothole filled mumbai roads. Is it the rear springs the culprit or the antiroll dampers ?
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 23:08   #313
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Ac i have serviced twice.The blower works very slowly i must say. also Had to change the rear cooling coil.
How much the rear springs cost u ?
Power window motors are ok. Just some service should do the trick.
Rear wiper though gone kaput. and the front wiper motor assembly misbehaves may need change.
any idea about the cost.
I may maaf the expense of alloys but would go for new tyres atleast the front 2. I have also decided to get rid of the stephney. shall keep a tyre inflator and repair kit. My back doesnt permit me to change the wheels anyway.
The alternator battery changing fuse gave me trouble lately. the 80 A one.Have serviced the alternator and the fault doesnt lie there. so it must be the quality of fuses as u suggested.
also the plastic trims for the pillars are cracking. and they creak some times. any idea how much they cost ?
suspension , engine , gears in very good shape.
the vehicle rolls a fair bit on very pothole filled mumbai roads. Is it the rear springs the culprit or the antiroll dampers ?
Rear Springs costed 3600 Rs to me at TASC. Only go for new ones. Rar shocks cost somewhere around 2600 for a pair. Changing all the fuses to OEM SPECS.(no 5A+ or - fuse, the exact fuse should be used) would get rid of most of the electrical problems.

Plastic trims were cracked for me too, I did'nt bother changing them as they never poses a problem, instead I pasted good wallpapers there.

For tyre try Tyre protector, it never lets the tyre puncture (tubeless.) See the video below for demonstration, works like charm:



Most probably the problem would go away after springs change.

Wiper motors are servicable at road side electrictian shop. Go for Michelin A\T the most comfortable ride they have across all the range of tyres for Safari.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 21:52   #314
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 691
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

The front wiper motors are available for Rs. 3700ish plus labor. But availability is an issue, so I got it exchanged at a road side shop. You would not believe teh amount of debris that gets collected near the wiper motor, the only way to clean it I guess would be to remove the panel which is never done. The debris collect water and eventually create issues with the motor. In my case the motor was not even repairable.

I am using Michelin A/T tires for quite some time now. The tires are great, and provides with great traction over sand, stone, loose big stone and debris, mud etc.

Where do we get tire protector?

Last edited by sumannandy : 10th September 2011 at 21:54.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 21:55   #315
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari TCIC 2,30,000+ km review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The front wiper motors are available for Rs. 3700ish plus labor. But availability is an issue, so I got it exchanged at a road side shop. You would not believe teh amount of debris that gets collected near the wiper motor, the only way to clean it I guess would be to remove the panel which is never done. The debris collect water and eventually create issues with the motor. In my case the motor was not even repairable.

I am using Michelin A/T tires for quite some time now. The tires are great, and provides with great traction over sand, stone, loose big stone and debris, mud etc.
And I thought that wiper motors are bullet proof.:P Well, I will have to check the wiper motors of my DICOR now.

Michelin are the best tyres as of now for Safari, great comfort on those tyres.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting sumannandy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 163 19th April 2015 07:54
Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review AVR Long-Term Ownership Reviews 118 2nd January 2014 12:43
TATA Safari TCIC Maintenance Cost ibm_jennifer Long-Term Ownership Reviews 90 16th October 2011 14:10
TATA safari TCIC or the DICOR maheepgupta SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 24 12th September 2007 11:29
Safari TCIC LX or Safari DICOR LX arindam SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 19 10th January 2007 17:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks