Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th December 2010, 11:19   #46
BHPian

Default re: My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms

I read somewhere else on this forum that it is advisable to have better tyres on the rear. The problems can be minimised if the 5 tyre rotation , including the spare one is done after every 5000 kms. without fail. Many of us neglect to do this.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 17:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Two updates: Yesterday I filled up the tank. It took in about 30ltrs before the automatic pump stopped. I checked the tripmeter, and it showed 490. This means the FE is about 16+.

I have been getting a steady FE of 13 without AC and between 12 and 13 with occasional AC (in rains), for many months. I was actually surprised to see the tripmeter showing 490, whereas previously I have not even reached 450 on a single tank.

I have been pretty consistent in the driving habits. The same two petrol pumps, the same route, the same timings, the same driving habits. As far as I can see there's been no change in the factors, except the really cold winter in Mumbai this year.

Can the cold ambient temperature increase my FE from 13 to 16? I shall be watching again at the next tank full to see if the FE figures stay up. But meanwhile I would love to know if anyone has any theories on this.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Refilled the tank twice since. The first time the FE returned to a normal-sounding 13, which was barely 100kms after an oil change (ran about 14K on the old oil). Second time I checked, the car had clocked 480kms and needed 32.54 litres of petrol to fill the tank. That pushes the FE up to 14.75! It's almost two kms more than usual. Again there's been no change in the driving style, only routine maintenance carried out, no additives added.

Btw, my parts supplier offered me a solution (petrol additive) which he claims can clean the fuel injectors and offers a performance boost. The solution costs Rs. 250/- I thought about it a little and then declined, as I am not too sure of its qualities, though he claims to have used it himself and found good results.

Old 18th February 2011, 21:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

On my last tank refill, my FE has now reached 16! It's almost unbelievable. I don't know how much the cooler climate has a role to play in this, but I am sure the new semi-synthetic oil is definitely improving things. The engine has become much more free in its response. I can now climb up the speed guage much more effortlessly, and though the engine does whine at high speeds I have been able to reach and hold three digit speeds without much issue.

The FE of 16 was returned in my daily routine. Same route, same timing, same traffic conditions. Just four months back I was getting about 13.
Old 20th February 2011, 22:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Would it add to the highway stability if I got a rear spoiler fitted?
Old 27th February 2011, 20:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Got the brake cylinders in the rear wheels replaced, as they were leaking. Cost Rs. 560/- apiece and Rs. 200 labour.

The wipers (replaced a couple of days ago) aren't working well. Specially the RHS wiper isn't really cleaning up the windscreen. The auto parts shopowner gave me a bottle of windshield cleaner. I poured it all into the reservoir and then slowly topped it up with water, first filling the cleaner bottle and then emptying the bottle into the reservoir. After the reservoir was full, I filled up the cleaner bottle and then poured it on the windshield, and then started the wipers. Ran the wipers till the bottle was empty. Then I drove home. The result so far seems quite good. The glass was as clean as could be made.
Old 28th February 2011, 18:10   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Would it add to the highway stability if I got a rear spoiler fitted?
Rear wings are typically effective only over 150 kph, if not 200. And a functional rear wing has to be carefully designed in a wind tunnel. I doubt your local accessory would comply to these guidelines. Thus, NO, a rear wing will NOT improve highway stability
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 22:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rear wings are typically effective only over 150 kph, if not 200. And a functional rear wing has to be carefully designed in a wind tunnel. I doubt your local accessory would comply to these guidelines. Thus, NO, a rear wing will NOT improve highway stability
Thanks GTO for clarifying that. I went through numerous threads on the rear spoilers, on this forum as well as others and was more or less getting to the same conclusion. I am still curious to know if I can only fit exhaust headers in place of the manifold. I haven't found any concrete answer yet.

Meanwhile, at the last tank fill, I again got a little more than 16kmpl. I am going to religiously monitor and report the FE figures to find out what exactly has helped move it from 13 to 16.

These are a few things I am thinking of trying next:

1. Use of a fuel additive recommended by my auto parts vendor. It claims to clean the injectors and improve the performance.
2. Use of engine flush: Using semi-synthetic oil has improved the FE quite a bit. I am thinking of going further with an engine flush and hope the FE ups further. Any feedback from anyone who has tried this on his/her Santro would be welcome.

I have already crossed 67K on the odo. On checking the owner's manual I found these are the things which are supposed to be replaced after 60K:

Engine Oil and Oil Filter: The engine oil and oil filter are being regularly changed, so it's not a worry.

Engine Coolant: I have so far had no issues with the cooling of the engine. There's been no leakage and no drop in the levels. In fact I have to consciously check the coolant level every two months. Would replacing the coolant at this point serve any purpose?

Brake Oil: Again, I have never had any leakage of brake oil nor any other symptoms to indicate it may be nearing its age.

Air Cleaner Element: I am assuming it's the air filter. If it's only the air filter, it was replaced about four months back. I shall make it a point to check and replace it if necessary the next time I visit the garage.

Spark Plug: What can tell me if this needs replacement? Also the mechanic I usually go to is quite knowledgeable and I can usually trust him to do a good job. Will he be able to replace the spark plugs? Go for stock variety or something else?

Manual Transmission Oil: The gear shifts are as smooth as when the car was brand new (I fortunately got to drive it when it was brand new), so I am thinking the tranny oil doesn't need to be replaced yet. However if at all it has to be, what are the options? Again, is there any semi/fully synthetic oil available for the tranny? Will it increase the performance?

Fuel Filter: Had it inspected around four months back and it was good. Again, the pickup and acceleration of the car have been fairly consistent and linear. There's been no sudden drops in fuel supply. So I am assuming the filter is still strong.

Any recommendations or checks to see if any of the above items really need a replacement?
Old 10th March 2011, 18:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Refilled two days back and the average has now dropped to 14.x again. This seems to be going in cycles, don't know what is the reason.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:58   #55
Team-BHP Support

14 kmpl in a santro for city cycle is normal, isn't it? Mileage will vary depending on traffic conditions and many other factors including ambient temperature etc.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 08:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

That's right, Jaggu, but since I drive the car to work every day the daily routine is more or less set. I fill up about three times in two weeks, so the conditions aren't much different from one week to another week. I have stuck to the same petrol pump except on two occasions, and the higher figures are always 16+, never 15+.

The driving includes almost 50% highway and 50% city, and while the city traffic in the evenings is a traffic snarl of sorts, it has been so for a few months now. Which is why I am stumped at this huge difference. It's now been twice that the average climbs up to 16+ and then at the next tankfill it's down to 14+.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Since summer has started i doubt you will get the same efficiency again.we too had a santro and its mileage varied between 14 and 15 without ac in city travel.so i feel thats a normal FE
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 10:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

I am still curious to know if I can only fit exhaust headers in place of the manifold. I haven't found any concrete answer yet.
yeah, why not.
I mean, i've seen it done.You could PM one of the experts here.
but do be sure, cos the NVH filteration for the santro aint that great, and I, at least, get a lot a of valve clatter in mine...and your earlier posts indicate you are particular about noises.

Meanwhile, at the last tank fill, I again got a little more than 16kmpl. I am going to religiously monitor and report the FE figures to find out what exactly has helped move it from 13 to 16.
...and you want more?going after a record?

Spark Plug: What can tell me if this needs replacement? Also the mechanic I usually go to is quite knowledgeable and I can usually trust him to do a good job. Will he be able to replace the spark plugs? Go for stock variety or something else?
All mechanics can tell you when a sparky's gone bad/approaching age.
And its a cheap fix.You dont need "adamantium" sparks, regular ones will do.

Any recommendations or checks to see if any of the above items really need a replacement?
You can ask your local guy to have a look at all the fluids.
Except for the engine oil(and maybe tranny oil, all the remaining fluids are under 300 bucks a pop.And if at 67k they have not been changed once, you can go ahead and get it done outside.
Its an uncomplicated car, you can limit the use of an auth service centre for regular services etc.

Cheerios!!

Last edited by mayankk : 11th March 2011 at 10:46.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 12:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sagar and Mayank. Yes, the summer might affect the FE, but I am not sure to what extent. For me the only effect ambient temps will have is when I fill the tank (volume of the fuel getting pumped into the car) and evaporation. I somehow don't think it will make a difference of 3kmpl, but who knows!

Mayank, I have abandoned the authorized service centre long back (not due to any particular problems, just that it's become too costly to travel there). The query was again related to not merely sticking to the manufacturer specs but more to do with performance. So for e.g. if I change the tranny oil now, will it get a few more bits out of it? I have heard power being lost in transmission. Will there be any savings there?

As for squeezing out more FE, if I could sustain 16, it would mean saving about 1.5K each month. Would you not want to squeeze every last milimeter out of the car then? With a sedate driving style I think I can reach 16 consistently, but since I use it for work, I rarely have the luxury of a sedate driving style, at least not in the mornings.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Oi, i was just joshing you,man.
You'r lucky...
I never got more than 13km/l!
as for the tranny oil, in 67k without a change, a lot of metal shavings/other contaminants would have accumulated.
Changing the oil wouldnt cause any harm, and if its degraded, then obviously there will be some gains for you
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote