Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th December 2009, 23:16   #1

Smile All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report

Cars!! Cars!! Cars!! Cars have been my passion since I was kid. Most of the photographs as a kid is with a toy car in hand. Alas after years of wanting, own a All New Honda City. The car has done 15000 Kms and it has been a pleasure to drive

First steps...Maruti

ANHC was never the car I wanted to purchase when I started looking for a new car in Jan 2009. Considered hatchbacks only due to budget (stated with a budget under Rs. 5L). My first choice was Maruti.

My criteria for the purchase:

- Hasle free long term ownership. Will be owning for the next 7~10yrs
- Good A.S.S
- Only petrols
- FE of 13 Kmpl (Hatchbacks) / 10 Kmpl (Sedans)
- Good comfort for long drives
- Good back seat comfort
- Looks

Walked into a Maruti showroom in Guindy. It was my first attempt to buy a car in India. Didnt have a clue on what to look for. Just dropped in. There were couple of customers. I was waiting for a Sales guy to come up. None cared to ask why I was there (was a big surprise my considering car sales experience in US). Just kept looking at the displayed cars and walked out. The cars that impressed me - Swift and the SX4. Didnt leave Maruti out yet. Went to Cars India showroom. The experience was pretty good. The sales associate patiently explained all the cars for us - Swift, Wagon R, Zen Estillo, Alto. My wife was bitten by the pink Estillo bug and I said WHAT!! She was in no mood to get any other cars. I was in no mood to buy it. Politely told the Sales guy we will decide and get back and walked out.

Estilo..Naaaaaa!! Enter Hyundai

To get my wife's mind of the Estillo, convinced her to have a look at the Hyundai Santro / i10. So off we went to DSC Hyundai. The sales person explained every bit about the cars. Drew a comparitive chart between different models. We were happy with i10. But I was not convinced about the tall boy models. Returned back again to the showroom for a relook. While waiting for the cars sales guy, had a look at a black i20 on display. We were bitten by the interiors and "muscled" looks. The back seat comforts were pretty good. My wife along sat along with couple of other customers at the back with me at the driver seat and the back seat comfort was pretty good. We looked at the Asta specs and were pretty happy with what was on offer - good interiros, back seat AC, electronically foldable OVRMs, stearing mounted controls etc. Only concern for me was the 1.2L engine. Was worried the car would be underpowered and was not sure how good it would be for long highway drives. Price was another factor. We were way over our budget. We said - "Heck with it. Its not daily that we buy a car". Alas we booked a Berry Red i20 Asta. The waiting period was 6 weeks. Those were the 6 longest weeks in my life. Every week I would call the Sales guy and ask for a status. 1-2-3-4-5-6 weeks went slowly. 6 weeks complete and there was not sign of the car. I would call the sales guy and I would be promised the car would be available in next day. After a week of cat and mouse game, decided to go to the showroom. The sales guys was trying to convince the car was on the way. But we werent convinced and had a chat with the GM and to our horror learnt the car would not be available for another 8 weeks minimum. There was a backlog for more than 1 month and we were 40th on the queue. I had a go at the dealership for misleading us - emotions held for a month came out. Atlast the GM offered to refund the booking amount and I took it out. Still feel bad when I see a i20 on road. It was a good car!!

Hatchbacks out...Enter the Sedans

I was so dejected on not having the i20 and my wife suggested a visit to Ford showroom for a look at the Fiesta. We were way over the budget we had but now we were in the 6L~7L budget it made sense to have a look at the sedans. Straight from DSC Hyndai showroom went to the MPL Ford showroom which quite nearby. I was litterally a zombie and my wife pushed for the showroom visit. She knew I like the Fiestas and would help me come out of the sober mood I was in. It did work!! I was back to my energetic best as soon as I entered the showroom. Had a look at the cars on displayed. Was little tempted with a 2008 Ford Fusion which was on display. But the offer was not good. Better sense prevailed and decided against a 2008 model in 2009. Mr. Michael was the sales person. He was preety good (saw good feedback about him from others on the forum too). We liked the Fiesta and went home happily thinking of booking one.

Reached home and was relaxing and saw the ANHC for the first time in a car magazine. Why not a Honda - We are into the Sedans why dont we look at Hondas and Toyotas. Immediately (around 7:30pm) decided to go to Sundaram Honda showroom for a look at the City. My wife seeing me in bad mood for the entire evening said ok lets go!! Rushed through the evening traffic and reached the showroom around 8:15pm and the show room was shutting down for the day. It was then we saw for the first time the ANHC live. Boy it looked fabulous!! Looking at the Fiesta and the AHNC in a space of couple of hours, fit and finish and sporty look of the AHNC stood out.

The purchase

Took at TD on a automatic and liked the drive I had. Immediately booked a Red AHNC EMT. Was promised a delivery in a week's time. Two days later, we paid the full amount and then a shock waited us. The Red EMT had been "mistakenly" sold to another customer. I was mad and didnt want the entire i20 drama to be played out again. Asked what colors were available. None were there on EMT but they had a silver, polished metal metallic and a white SMT were available. Also there was a price hike in a weeks time. Looked at the SMT Vs EMT specs again and found SMT might be VFM over the EMT (no keyless entry, no audio system etc). The price difference was minimal. There was a polished metal SMT on display and liked the color a lot. Was promised registration and delivery in couple of days time. Decided to go ahead on a Polished Metal Metallic SMT variant.

The addons - 3M sunflim and anti-rust coating.
Freebees - Floor mats, corporate discount of Rs. 15K + another 5k given a month after delivery!!

27-Mar-09 was the D-Day. Delivery was scheduled at 4:30pm (nalla neram - good time). The delivery experience was ordinary. The delivery was prompt - no last minute running around. The car was cleaned and kept ready for delivery. Signed the papers right around 4:30pm. Got a chocholate box, quick photo. What we missed was a the hurried delivery. There were many deliveries planned that day and it was very crowded. Got a rushed up explannation of the kit / car in general. Car buying experience in India is a big family occasion - a new member to your family is added. A rushed up and crowded delivery was not the best of the experiences. The dealership wanted us to move on so that they can deliver to the next customer.

To do in the furture - DO A PDI. The emotions of waiting for 3 months to buy a car made me think - "Let me get the damn car. It should be good". Heart over head. One thing I have promised myself not to do again.

What I like:

1. Looks - its a killer. The color choice of Polished Metel Metallic was a wise one. Its the best I have seen on a City. Red not convinced if it would have been good for the car now.
2. FE - 13 Kmpl (bumper to bumper city traffic), 14~15Kmpl (lesser city traffic conditions like OMR, Chennai), 18~19 Kmpl (Highways). All 100% AC driving conditions
3. Seating comfort - felt very comfortable on long drives. Back seat comfort too is good (as per my parents. They sleep very well on long drives!!)
4. Fit and Finish - No rattles so far
5. Noise levels - Absolutely minimal engine / outside noise.
6. Music system - Liked the USB based system. Though was skecptical initially about the non-availability of the CD Player, I am now liking the fact that I dont have to carry so many CDs. 3 USB thumb drives holds my entire collection neatly tucked inside the console. Only drawback so far faced - it does not play my iPOD Shuffle (though plays the iPOD Nano well).
7. Ease of driving in a city
8. "H" badge image - Boy you are treated like a royalty!! Does turn lot of heads.
9. Refined i-VTEC engine

What can be made better:

1. Cheap plastics and central console looks outdated. Could look futuristic
2. Highway drives - Doesnt give the confidence about 100~120 Km/Hr speeds. Not a big issue for me as I normally cruise at 80~100 Km/Hr. Indian road conditions are not still suited for higher speeds. Tyres...Tyres...Tyres
3. High cost of spares (learnt it the hard way!!)
4. Ground Clearance - Scrapped quite a number of speed brakers.

Overall - Clocked 15000 Kms. The car is still as good as a new one. Did some good long drives: Chennai - Yelagiri, Chennai - Madurai - Tutucorin. With 25% highway and 75% city driving had a great driving experience so far.

To be continued...Service experience and Theft!!
Attached Thumbnails
All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-frontview.jpg  

All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-frontview1.jpg  

All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-backview.jpg  

sandy261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 13:18   #2
oss
BHPian

From i10 to ANHC - that's one heck of a stretch on the budget. Congrats mate

Looks like you are enjoying your car very much. All the best. Do write more about your driving experience & A.S.S. exp at Sundaram Honda.
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 13:23   #3
BHPian

What a roller coaster ride landing you finally in ANHC!! Great buy in the end nevertheless - Congrats - it will keep you smiling for many years to come. Do post some interior pics as well. Looking forward to rest of your experience including the word <THEFT> that you included above.
svaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 13:24   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ANHC. Hondas USP is the hassel free ownership!! Glad to see you enjoying it to the most!
Ferrari1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sandy

Welcome to the forum.

Belated congratulations on your ANHC and also completeing 15000+ KM.

Your car buying story shows that we indians are willing to stretch to get what we want.

I agree with you, with some of the aspects you mentioned in the thread

1. Maruti Suzuki showrooms are most crowed, a new prospective customer looking for a car is just another person in the crowd there

2. Car Delivery Moments are BIG Family occation in India as Car is the second costly item a person buys apart from House.

Keep posting
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 14:05   #6
BHPian

Congrats dude,

I'll too end up buying a Honda City. However you mention cost of spare's is expensive. What did you have to change ?
rauldsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 15:34   #7

Thanks guys for your wishes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
Congratulations on your new ANHC. Hondas USP is the hassel free ownership!! Glad to see you enjoying it to the most!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
From i10 to ANHC - that's one heck of a stretch on the budget. Congrats mate

Looks like you are enjoying your car very much. All the best. Do write more about your driving experience & A.S.S. exp at Sundaram Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
What a roller coaster ride landing you finally in ANHC!! Great buy in the end nevertheless - Congrats - it will keep you smiling for many years to come. Do post some interior pics as well. Looking forward to rest of your experience including the word <THEFT> that you included above.
Found the price of the cars (and variants) to be overlapping each other. It was always tempting to go for an addition Rs. 20k for xyz features. Finally you would end from an i10 to a City Infact I wanted to go in for a Civic. Had the means but decided I am taking it too far and need to put a stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Sandy

Welcome to the forum.

Belated congratulations on your ANHC and also completeing 15000+ KM.

Your car buying story shows that we indians are willing to stretch to get what we want.

I agree with you, with some of the aspects you mentioned in the thread

1. Maruti Suzuki showrooms are most crowed, a new prospective customer looking for a car is just another person in the crowd there

2. Car Delivery Moments are BIG Family occation in India as Car is the second costly item a person buys apart from House.

Keep posting
StarVegabond - I am regular follow of your ownership report. Like your narrative style

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
Congrats dude,

I'll too end up buying a Honda City. However you mention cost of spare's is expensive. What did you have to change ?
In general spares / accessories are costlier than other manufactures eg. are the alloys, mud flaps etc. But the regular service costs are generally low.
Old 13th December 2009, 18:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy261 View Post

StarVegabond - I am regular follow of your ownership report. Like your narrative style

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your appreciation, I am glad that my ANHC ownership thread is of some use to you.

Actually, we should thank T-BHP for providing the right platform for us to interact, share, learn and benefit.

Old 13th December 2009, 19:43   #9
BHPian

Hey Sandy,

Congratulations (belated though) on your new car. From my experience of honda (44 months though), I never had a single trouble so far and I bid adieu today. So now back to square one choosing between the new ANHC and the Toyota. But nevertheless, wish you have a hassle free looooong ownership experience with your new car.

The color on ANHC really looks gorgeous.

Cheers,
Laxminarayan
Laxminarayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 20:43   #10
BHPian

Sandy,

Congrats man ! though belated. Your car is very Gorgeous !

"
Quote:
H" badge image - Boy you are treated like a royalty!! Does turn lot of heads.
Boy oh Boy ! i am enjoying it out here.

Quote:
Cheap plastics and central console looks outdated. Could look futuristic
How does one guage a good plastic? i am an illiterate at it ?

Quote:
Highway drives - Doesnt give the confidence about 100~120 Km/Hr speeds. Not a big issue for me as I normally cruise at 80~100 Km/Hr. Indian road conditions are not still suited for higher speeds.
I dont think so.I sometime do more than the speed you have mentioned.But you are right in your ideas about the highway.

Keep posting !

Last edited by nandans2005 : 13th December 2009 at 20:46.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 20:44   #11

Service Experience and theft..

First free service was done on 18-Apr-09. Odometer reading: 1638 Kms. I had done a 3 day 1000+ Km trip (Chennai - Madurai - Tutucorin), delaying the 1st service. First service involved checks and top-ups. No oil change. Second Service was done on 30-May-09. Odometer reading: 10249 Kms. Some long highway drives brought 5000Kms in 5 weeks time. Second services was done satisfactorily. The engine was super smooth after the service. The vehicle was also cleaned very well.

Late Aug'09 I had gone out of Chennai to visit my mother. Tragedy struck. Early in the morning my mom woke me up saying there some damage in the car parked inside the house compound. Sleeply eyed I rushed out and to my horror found that the car had been broken into and the music system stolen.

The Modus operandi

- break open the rear left passenger window. They had made strong mark around the glass edges and pushed it. The glass had gone off perfectly shaped with minimal cracks
- release the locks through the open window and gain entry into the car
- cut the central console using a sharp instrument (long blade is the guess)
- cut the wires to the audio system.

No other valuables in the car (sun glasses, cash etc) was not touched. There was shattered glass all over the car. The car has no safety measures for break-in. Not sure how the immobilizer on the car would have fared if they wanted to steal the car!!

Put a call and a written complaint to the police at around 7am. They arrived at around 11am and was told finger print experts would be there to lift any finger prints available. They came in around 1pm. They lifted the prints but did more damage to the car. For lifting the prints they had spread a black & white power and they had put it all over the car. Worst affected were the seats. Full of black marks along with shoe marks!! I was told not much of fingerprints as most had evaporated in the hot sun. They should have been at the scene much earlier in the morning. Patiently heard all their comments so that I can get the FIR quickly. Since I was around 120 Kms away from Chennai didnt want to come back again to get the FIR. Collected the FIR around 3pm.

Was not sure whether the car can be started (was worried about shorting the electrical system). Called up Sundaram Honda and they said it was ok to start the car after induvidually taping the electrical wires that were cut. Taped them up and started the car. Everything was normal. Drove the 120kms to Chennai without any problem. Reached service station at 5:30pm and my insurance surveyor was there. He did a quick survey and took the snaps. Not all the problems were written on the job card and I had to take them back to the car multiple times to show what it was. I was told the cars would be ready in 10 days max and they would give me an estimate in couple of days time. They proptly informed me of the estimate - around Rs. 90000/- (Rs. 50000/- for the audio system). The work was put on hold for a week to get the go ahead from insurance company.

The insurance company wouldnt give the go ahead to replace the dashboard (it had been cut through). Talked to the surveyor and his explanation was that the central control box would cover the damage to the dashboard. I was worried that the central console wouldnt fit properly and it would rattle. After lot of discussions asked them to provide the reasons formally in their letter head and I would go to online forums with pictures and their responses. Immediately they agreed there was damage to the dashboard and they would have that changed under insurance.

Once the insurance issues were resolved, the A.S.S.issues started. For 10 days I was repeatedly told a minor part was not available and they waiting for it to come. Learnt the "small" part was the music system!! I raised a concern to Honda customer care. They were very prompt and the ensured all the necessary part were made available in the next couple of days. But the car was not serivced for the next one week. Everyday the service advisor would have a reason or the other on why the work could not be completed. Alas called up their GM Service to get the work done. Since I had completed 10000 Kms, I had asked for my 3rd service to be completed. I switched to Synthetic oil. Delivery was promised on 15-Sep-09 and postponed to 16-Sep-09 to complete their final inspection and test drive.

On 16-Sep-09, went to service station and picked the car. The issues noted during the entire work at Sundaram Honda service station:

- Defroster switch wouldnt work. Needed replacement. Puts a '?'mark on their inspection before delivery.
- They didnt put on the sunflim on the left rear window glass. I had asked them to put it on
- I had asked for a complete cleaning package (for Rs. 2000/-). Was not done. Reason: Didnt have time. There were glasses all over the place.
- Had to return next day to fix the defroster switch and sunflim
- Cost of the sunflim quoted was Rs. 300/-less. Service Adivsor talked to the 3M guy and gave their price. The service center adds their cost on top of it
- SA's adivice to me for dashboard. "Saar insurance company have to give their money and they wont". Havnt I paid for the insurance??
- Didnt find the Service advisor competent enough to handle the issue.

Total Bill - Rs. 44026/-
Paid by me - Rs. 22224/-
Paid by Insurance - 21802/-
3rd Service cost - Rs. 2198/- (Cost of Synthetic engine oil + Oil filter + washer,drain)

All three services were done at Sundaram Honda. The first two service experiences were pretty good but the last one was pretty bad. The service experience greatly depended on the service advisor you worked with. I would give a 5/10 for Sundaram Honda service.

After all the problems I faced, decided to switch to Capital Honda for my 15000 Kms service.
Attached Thumbnails
All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-dsc00026.jpg  

All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-dsc00027.jpg  

All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-dsc00034.jpg  

All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-dsc00035.jpg  

All New Honda City - 15000 Kms report-dsc00031.jpg  

Old 13th December 2009, 21:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sandy

Sorry to note the theft of the music system and the difficulties faced after that theft.

any way, theives steal only the valueable things, this goes on to show that ANHC music system is very good and worth the efforts and the risk the thief took to steal it.

Often the injuries and illness teach us the value of good health and fitness. I am sure the theft would have made you value your car and its features much more.

Regarding the Theft and 3rd Service, you may forget it as bad dream.

Enjoy the drive with your ANHC.
Old 13th December 2009, 21:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sandy, very nice review. Very unfortunate though, about the theft.
Just wondering - how do you find the performance in Chennai's city traffic? Is the car easy to handle?

Enjoy.
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 21:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice narration, Sandy. I am sorry about the theft though.

BTW, you paid more than 50% of the repair bill----is that not way to high for a car that is less than a year old? AFAIK, you' d only need to pay for the sun film and the total cleaning package.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 21:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post

How does one guage a good plastic? i am an illiterate at it ?
Its purely relative. Having driven cars in US for the last 3 yrs, its mostly compared with cars I have driven in US. Honda with a premium badging in India could have done better.