Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th November 2010, 23:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Wow! The explanation on how to remove the Dashboard was awesome! Did you learn this at the Service Station or figure it out yourself? Either way, makes a lot of sense to sort out those small niggles without going to the Service Station. Thanks!!
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 12:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Wow! The explanation on how to remove the Dashboard was awesome! Did you learn this at the Service Station or figure it out yourself? Either way, makes a lot of sense to sort out those small niggles without going to the Service Station. Thanks!!
This I figured out myself. In initial days of Vista TASS people were unaware how to open dashboard and once I had given my car to fix up Front Demister problem and at that time they screwed up my dashboard. Front Demister Vent was always leaking air so they needed to dismantle dashboard. In this process they broke my side AC Vents and misaligned fitting of beige parts. Beige parts were loose so I had heated arguments with them. Then what they did is really bad. They stuck beige parts with adhesives. That made me furious and I took away my car before they make more damage to it.

And then if there is will then there is way. Exploring it gave me the way.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:50   #33
BHPian

Default DIY: Fix problems with Power window Switches

Hi All,

Vista is fitted with low quality power window switches. And every Vista owner at least face one power window switch related problem in a year. I am no different. But for me I was getting power window switches replacement under warranty very easily. How many times do I need to replace Power window switches for small small problems. Last month only TASS changed them. And two days before my one of driver side switch stopped working. Enough with replacing and I decided to get into the problem. And this turned out pretty easy task. Here is step by step guide for repairing Power Window Switches (henceforth referred as PWS).

First, My apologies for bad picture quality.

List of common problems faced in PWS

1) Switch is not working
2) Light glow is not coming
3) PWS color has gone.

So lets start with dismantling PWS panel on driver side door.

Fairly easy, A knock from bottom side will do the trick.
Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010110.jpg

Then you will see a separated PWS panel. After removing all possible screws (total 8). You will see these are the main parts of this switch.
Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010104.jpg
1) Top Panel
2) Switches
3) PCB

Nothing is there to talk about Top Panel. Its a thing which supports all mess inside. Then comes Switches
Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010106.jpg
Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010107.jpg
You can dismantle switches and color it yourself to fix our 3 rd problem from problem list.

Then we have main part PCB.
Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010105.jpg

If you look at PCB, you will find

one White LED for glowing all PWS,
one RED LED for glowing Passenger control override,
one Passenger control override switch,
and lot of contact points to operate power window switches.

One led illuminates all PWS because light is passed through glass tubes to each power window switch.

Now if your illumination has gone, then replace the LED.
If your switches are not working, clean contact points.
Color has gone then paint the switches.

This is the way now you search possibilities for DIY.

Remaining pictures are attached with this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010108.jpg  

Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010109.jpg  

Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010111.jpg  

Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010112.jpg  

Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010113.jpg  

Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010114.jpg  

Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log-04122010115.jpg  

Last edited by sushantr5 : 7th December 2010 at 15:51.
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:03   #34
BHPian

Hey, this is super fantastic. I have always wanted a one touch down for driver's side at least. Even my earlier cars have had that & I feel the need for the same in this one also.
Is it possible to replace the PCB of the Manza with the one in the Vista? Both seem to be using the same switches (from looks at least). Has any one tried it. Sushant would you be taking the lead on the same?
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Hey, this is super fantastic. I have always wanted a one touch down for driver's side at least. Even my earlier cars have had that & I feel the need for the same in this one also.
Is it possible to replace the PCB of the Manza with the one in the Vista? Both seem to be using the same switches (from looks at least). Has any one tried it. Sushant would you be taking the lead on the same?
To make one touch down/up we need a simple relay to plugged in this switch. I doubt replacing Manza Power Window Switch panel will do the trick. Manza PWS panel will be same as Vista to reduce cost of manufacturing. Relays will be located at central location for easy maintainability.

For us to make One touch down feature we need same relay soldered in PWS Panel circuit. I am searching for that relay now. If everything goes well then we will have this feature.

I am wondering how much profit is made by service centers by selling PWS panel. This driver side PWS panel will hardly take Rs.100 to manufacture. and this mess is priced Rs.1440 at service centers.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 7th December 2010 at 16:47.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:58   #36
BHPian

All relays are located on the right side of driver. We need look at Manza's Fuse and relay panel and find out differences with Vista's Fuse and relay panel.

I am attaching image of Vista relay panel.
Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2011, 16:59   #37
BHPian

Default Re: Indica Vista Quadrajet : An Ownership Log

Shusantr-Thanks for a lot of info and answering my query on vista qjd.Have you noticed any issues with frequent engine on-off situation like in city driving.The reason im asking you is cos60% of my drive will be in the city.
Also if you could post your fuel efficiency figures for city/highways!
Sam.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 12:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Shusantr-Thanks for a lot of info and answering my query on vista qjd.Have you noticed any issues with frequent engine on-off situation like in city driving.The reason im asking you is cos60% of my drive will be in the city.
Also if you could post your fuel efficiency figures for city/highways!
I continuously keep fuel consumption log. For 40% city use and rest highway use I am getting around 19 KMPL. On Highway I get around 22 KMPL. Last week when I tried to drive at constant 80 KMPH I got mileage of 23.5 KMPL. I think for purely city use car is giving mileage around 16-18 KMPL.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I continuously keep fuel consumption log. For 40% city use and rest highway use I am getting around 19 KMPL. On Highway I get around 22 KMPL. Last week when I tried to drive at constant 80 KMPH I got mileage of 23.5 KMPL. I think for purely city use car is giving mileage around 16-18 KMPL.
Those are really good figures.

I own a BSIV QJD (Aura ABS) and have clocked 10,000 kms in around 8 months. The PW switches look solid till now, hope they stay like that..
TSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:42   #40
BHPian

Today I got my came back from 60,000 KMs service. Here are the bill details

Diesel Engine Oil : Rs.850
Oil Filter : Rs.355
Fuel Filter : Rs.1695
Brake Oil : Rs.76
All purpose Cleaner : Rs.27
Hydraulic balancers for Rear Hatch
(LH and RH) : Rs. 560
REAR LH Door Rubrail : Rs. 95
Service+checks :Rs.1000
Alignment and Balancing : Rs.700

Total Rs.5990.

Serving quality was super excellent.
Old 8th May 2011, 14:08   #41
BHPian

Did you mention HP Milcey as the Engine Oil ???

I thought the Quadrajet required synthetic by default.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 13:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
Did you mention HP Milcey as the Engine Oil ???

I thought the Quadrajet required synthetic by default.
No Quadrajet does not require Synthetic.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:38   #43
BHPian

Hi All,

My Vista has crossed 63,500 kilometers mark.

Here are some highlights

1) Engine is really gem in this car. Still feel so silent and nimble and as good as new.

2) Recent mileage was little more than 20 KMPL, calculated over 900 Kilometers and 44.5 ltrs of diesel. Out of this 50% was highway run and 50% pune city run with 40-50% AC usage.

3) Under-body murmur rattle. Identified as loose brake caliper. Will get it fixed next week. Steering wheel (Horn Pad) rattle, fixed by me. And one or two more small rattles on rough roads, will identify them in due course and will fix them.

4) Highway drives are really smooth in this car. No engine Vibration and very silent diesel engine. My Friends ford figo feels like tractor in front of Vista (Though I suggested him Figo over Vista , and still suggest Figo over Vista)

5) Really Solid Car because my car has been tortured by bad rural roads for more than half of its life.

6) Very good suspension. Far far more comfortable compared to any other in this class. Though small body roll is present at turns with high speed. But antiroll bar really limits this roll.

7) TASS experience has been excellent for me. This is due to knowing car from inside out and some personal contacts. I bet I could not be this satisfied with any car other than TATA. (Though I do not get coffee and AC room in TASS, I am very happy with their work). My TASS is Pandit Automotive, Bhosari. For people in Pune this is really good service center. This generally crowded and need advanced booking for at least 7 days.
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 16:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Hi All,

My Vista has crossed 63,500 kilometers mark.

Here are some highlights

1) Engine is really gem in this car. Still feel so silent and nimble and as good as new.

2) Recent mileage was little more than 20 KMPL, calculated over 900 Kilometers and 44.5 ltrs of diesel. Out of this 50% was highway run and 50% pune city run with 40-50% AC usage.

3) Under-body murmur rattle. Identified as loose brake caliper. Will get it fixed next week. Steering wheel (Horn Pad) rattle, fixed by me. And one or two more small rattles on rough roads, will identify them in due course and will fix them.

4) Highway drives are really smooth in this car. No engine Vibration and very silent diesel engine. My Friends ford figo feels like tractor in front of Vista (Though I suggested him Figo over Vista , and still suggest Figo over Vista)

5) Really Solid Car because my car has been tortured by bad rural roads for more than half of its life.

6) Very good suspension. Far far more comfortable compared to any other in this class. Though small body roll is present at turns with high speed. But antiroll bar really limits this roll.

7) TASS experience has been excellent for me. This is due to knowing car from inside out and some personal contacts. I bet I could not be this satisfied with any car other than TATA. (Though I do not get coffee and AC room in TASS, I am very happy with their work). My TASS is Pandit Automotive, Bhosari. For people in Pune this is really good service center. This generally crowded and need advanced booking for at least 7 days.
It was lovely to read through your posts sushantr5. Being a Vista owner myself, I can connect with most thoughts, except that mine is a petrol Vista. I have done 18k in 2 years and its been all very good. No niggles, no TASS issues, no failures or breakdowns, etc... BUT, like you've mentioned, even I had to get the power window switches repaired twice from TASS. And even after that, the power window switch on the driver's control panel is not functioning for the LH rear window. It has to be operated by the passenger himself. Don't know whether I should try some DIY like you, but I have no confidence. Never done any DIY. However, on a second thought all free servicings are done for my Vista and anyway TASS will charge me to repair this apparently small issue, I might give it a try.

63k KMs is huge and I think I will be parting with my Vista much before I reach that figure. Not because its a petrol, I will upgrade to a better car in terms of safety features. I WILL drive a petrol car till petrol price reaches 100 per litre or beyond. BY then, we'll have greener options probably. Diesel is still NO NO for me. My total running per month doesn't even cross 800 KMs, so no point.

Wishing you happy miles ahead.

Cheers!!
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 20:57   #45
BHPian

My Vista is due for next service... Last service was done in April 2011. I think I missed 6 months schedule. There was no action in these 6 months... currently odo mark is hovering around 67000 kms. I am planning to do these things for coming service,

1) Front Brake Pads and rear Brake shoe change. Probably do it outside.
Thick rattling from front brake calipers due to worn out brake pads. Still deciding on the make of brake pads. Whether to go for Bosch or TVS Girling. Mind says Bosch but there are not really good reviews about them. Experts please pitch in to help me out.

2) Gear Wire check
3) Handbrake wire check
4) Turbo check
5) Cabin Filter change
6) All bushing change
7) Regular service points.
8) Front Left Door Lock Actuator check and change. Door can not lock electrically. Needs to be locked manually.

Regarding car,
1) It has now Michelin shoes. These tires are really amazing and drastically change driving characteristics. Car feels sure footed and can corner better. Cabin is super silent, no rattles so far, no road noise, engine is barely audible except turbo whistle.

2) Turbo kick is little less. May be clogged Air filter is the culprit. Will check turbo as well and leakage in piping as well.

3) So far it has been proven excellent VFM. Excellent comfort, niggles are not coming nowadays compared to when it was new, excellent mileage and super space.

Will update you as ownership proceeds...

Last edited by sushantr5 : 9th November 2011 at 21:00.