Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd December 2009, 21:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Just one suggestion before taking delivery : check under the front/rear door beading for rusting.
Thanks for the advice.. I had checked it during the inspection yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
One thing I found was, the sub dealers of Hyson were more customer friendly than their main showroom - that made me pick up the car from Kodungalloor dealer than from the Thrissur main office. i will give 8/10 for my experience @ Hyson Kodungalloor.
My car was booked at Hyson Kodungallur, but was delivered at Hyson Thrissur. There was some confusion between the sales executive from Kodungallur and the guys at Thrissur - this delayed the vehicle's despatch from their yard, and we had to pick up the car from there.

The car was finally delivered at 1759 this evening. Registration formalities will take place tomorrow (depending on the rush at the RTO at Kodungallur). The car was delivered on a Temp registration.

Will post a detailed report as I get a feel of the car (my experience now is just about 6 kms - my brother drove from the dealership to home). But the initial comment is - A W E S O M E.

One pic taken at delivery is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1330944.jpg  

binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 00:47   #32
BHPian

congratz for your silver beauty binai..!
It does look amazing.
Do post your initial driving experiance.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 23:12   #33
BHPian

Congrats!
Great car, very pleasurable to drive...esp long ones.

Have fun, drive safe
neutralgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 23:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Woww.!! Another Punto :-)
Congratulations on your new acquisition binaiks.Welcome to the GP Club.Meanwhile nice to hear that you're from God's own country.I took the delivery of my Fiat GP 1.3 MJD E+ from RF Motors Cochin.Clocked 7.5K km till date.

I am so sure that you'll enjoy the moments that you spend in this car for sure..

Happy ans Safe Motoring...Drive her safe :-)
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 10:14   #35

Congratulation binaiks , What are the freebies given by Hyson motors ? please attach more interior photos.

post your initial driving experience.
rajeeshkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 14:52   #36
BANNED

congratulations on your punto, enjoy your ride and merry christmas.Good to have new set of wheels on festive seasons.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 16:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

From one minimal Grey Punto owner to another, Welcome to the club !

Then engine is harsh initially but settles down remarkably after 3000 or so km. Fuel efficiency increases, engine noise comes down and she feels smooth. So take it easy for the first few thousands, your baby is just learning to take baby steps...
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 17:20   #38
cLJ
BHPian

Congratulations! Punto is a great car.

3 months back (September), I went to Hayson Motors in Chalakudy to book a White Punto (FIRE) and I almost booked it. But I wanted to see their Service Station, and I was told that they are yet to start servicing FIAT vehicles at Chalakudy. Due to this, I delayed the booking for sometime. I think the wait is worth and might go for Linea T-JET.

How is staff at Hayson, Trichur? Did you visit their Service Station? The staff at Chalakudy was very courteous.
cLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 20:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Our family had shifted from Mumbai to Bangalore in May 2008. Due to lack of space at the house in Bangalore, we had to sell our Toyota Qualis Myst (which had clocked some 63-odd thousand kilometres - needless to say, without a single hitch). We have a Toyota Innova at Bangalore, and things were fine with a car at our disposal. I and my parents shifted to Kerala in June this year, as I got back to my studies (to do my Post-Graduation).

Having been used to having a car all the time for any commuting need, we were kind-of handicapped in Kerala. However, private bus operators provided good service, and commuting was not a big problem, as long as it was between 0530 and 2030.

Fast forward to November 2009: By now, we were seriously considering a car purchase. Guidelines were set - it had to be a hatch (some sedans were permitted though), preferable running on diesel, has good boot space, and comfort for the three of us. So, our initial list looked like:

1. Maruti Suzuki Swift DDiS
2. Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire DDiS
3. Maruti Suzuki Ritz DDiS
4. Hyundai i20 CRDi
5. Fiat Grande Punto 1.3

Our first test drive was on a Hyundai i20 CRDi. We went to KTC Hyundai, Thrissur for the TD. The showroom was closing down, but the sales person was very accomodating, and he was quick to get our TD car. All features of the car were demonstrated and we were off on a 4 km test drive (thanks to low fuel and night time). The car impressed us to no limits - the price wasn't interesting though. The mid-variant, Asta, was being offered for 7.40 lakhs OTR, with absolutely no freebies. The dealer said the waiting period was between a week to a month, depending on the colour. On hearing the price, we decided to include the Ford Ikon into our list (but my parents were too apprehensive about its running costs, we eventually did not even TD this car).

The rest of the test drives were done at Bangalore - so that the entire family could have a dekko at the car. We began checking cars at different dealerships. We checked the i20 once again (since my dad wasn't present when we TD'd the car at Thrissur). Although the car looked nice, he wasn't very impressed with the car (predominantly the price). Next on the line was RNS Motors on Hosur Road. The sales person here had absolutely no knowledge of the cars he was selling - he just read out what was printed on the brochure. He did arrange for a Test Drive, though. The catch was that we were looking for a Diesel car, but the TD car was a petrol! The ride was okay at the rear, but felt a bit stiff. I wasn't impressed with the showroom at all, and we headed out very soon.

The next showroom we visited was Concorde Motors at Dairy Circle. The showroom was crowded to the core.. we checked out a Xenon that was parked there before we headed inside. A Red Punto was on display, and my dad was impressed at the first look itself. We checked the interiors. Barring the cheap-looking plastics, we loved the car. There was not a single salesperson even interested in knowing if we wanted to know about the car. Just to check the level of response, we walked to a Vista and opened the door. Two - not one - executives came running to us to explain about the car. We politely declined and asked them to send a Fiat guy instead. No response to the request, and we thought "thats it" and walked out of the showroom.

Now to the next showroom: Sagar Automobiles, Bannerghatta Road. Their response was amazing - an executive attended us immediately. He explained us all the vehicles we wanted. I checked the Ritz that was on display, and I loved the seating position. Visibility at sharp corners was indeed a worry. Our TD vehicle was quickly arranged - this was a VDi. My brother took the wheels, and he was visibly satisfied. He loved the turning radius. But the lack of features was a huge let down - especially when your comparision offers a lot! Next to TD was the Dzire. The space inside the car was just amazing - but the waiting period wasn't. Driving this car too was a breeze, except reversing it. The boot space was amazing. The dealer offered to sell us a car on temporary registration, and we could take it to Kerala and register there.

After a tiring day Testing cars, we decided to take our time finalising one. The tie was now between the Ritz and the Punto (although we did not try out the car, we were very much interested in this one). The days after the TD was spent reading reviews of both the cars on Team-BHP. The turning radius of the Punto was a huge worry for me, especially since the car was intended to go on small countryside roads in Kerala.

Fast Forward to December 20, 2009: We headed to RF Motors, Kochi for checking out the Grande Punto. It was Sunday, and we did not expect to get a TD on this day, but were interested in checking out the car closely. It was surprising to the sales team at the showroom, and the executive was very accomodating. He showed us around the display vehicle (which, interestingly, was of the same colour we wanted). My apprehensions were rear leg space and the driving position. I looked thoroughly through the car, while our request for the TD car was accepted. The TD car was a 1.3 Emotion Pack. We took it on a slightly long ride on the highway, and took a couple of U-turns to check the turning radius.

Given the length of the car, the turning radius was commendable. Now came the bargaining part - the executive got the price list and described the pricing. He said Insurance and Extended warranty was being offered free of cost. We asked him to check out availability - my brother was still confused between the Diesel and the Petrol. Our colour was fixed - Minimal Grey. We decided that the version would be an Emotion (Emotion packs had long waiting periods). The executive called up, and the reply was - Minimal Grey MJD was available, and in Petrol only the blue was available. So Diesel it was! However, the negotiations got stuck up with the executive not ready to reduce the price by even a paise, and also the rider that we had to get the car registered ourselves.

We decided to check out Hyson Motors at Kodungallur. I remember reading quite some good reports about Hyson, and did not hesitate contacting them. They too had our choice in stock. This guy quoted about 2K less than RF Motors, but no more negotiations or other freebies. Registration would be taken care by the dealer. We finally decided to go with Hyson. I asked him for a Pre-registration inspection of the car - to which he replied that I'll have to go to Thrissur (their yard is at Thrissur). I did not have a problem going to Thrissur - so confirmed my visit and gave him the booking form.

December 22, 2009: I and my dad heading to Thrissur to check out the car. The service executive from Kodungallur was waiting for us at their Thrissur Office. We reached the office, and the executive quickly took us to their main yard (about 700 metres from the showroom). We had a mad search around the yard for the car, but found no car matching our description. The entire yard had no more than 5 Puntos. There were atleast 100 Indicas (all its variants put together) at the yard. After searching frantically for the car (I could see the executive sweating profusely), the executive called up the office. The guys at the office confirmed that the car was parked at the service station, not the yard.

We now headed back to the showroom. The executive went to the office to get the keys. Later, he came with the car. The car wasn't cleaned - it was very much in the "yard" condition. I checked thoroughly through all corners of the vehicle, especially the engine bay and doors for signs of rusting. I checked the "dispatch" letter pasted inside the car - this one said the car was made on 24th November 2009. After a 30 minute long check, I okayed the car. The executive promised that the car would be delivered the next afternoon.

December 23, 2009: I was busy the entire morning, and could not follow up with the executive. I got free only at 1 that afternoon, and called up the executive. The executive now claimed that he promised delivery on Thursday. I almost lost my calm and asked him to keep his word. He promised to get back in 10 minutes. I was busy again for the next two hours. I called up again at around 3 - no response. The phone kept ringing for some time. Later I found that the phone was switched off. Around the same time, I got a call from the dealership. The lady on the other side said that the executive had promised a Thursday delivery and not a Wednesday delivery. I completely lost my cool now. I handed over the phone to my brother, who made it very clear that the deal would be called off if the car is not delivered that evening. The lady said she'll call back in 5 minutes - the 5 minutes never came.

After about 30 minutes, we called up again - only to hear more silly excuses. My brother gave a stern warning that the deal would be off, if the car is not delivered before 6PM the same day. Around 4 pm, the manager of Hyson Motors' Kodungallur Branch calls us and apologises for the fiasco. He said that there was some communication gap between the executive and the guys at the Thrissur Showroom. He went to the Thrissur showroom personally to ensure that the car was released that evening.

He requested us to come over to Thrissur for the delivery (since there were no drivers to get the car to Kodungallur that evening). We agreed and started from home.

We were at the showroom by around 5. There were some 4 cars lined up for delivery that evening - two were Manzas and the remaining were Vistas! We met the Manager, and he quickly arranged for the remaining paperwork. (We had released the entire payment the previous evening). The car was quickly pulled out of the service station and taken for PDI and some small decorations (the ribbon on the bonnet). The PDI was finished quickly and the car was now ready for delivery. The manager quickly came around with the delivery register and the remaining papers. Gate pass was quickly issued, and papers relating to the temporary registration too was given. He gave us the invoice and insurance papers.

The car was parked at the delivery bay at 1745. Another executive quickly came and explained the features of the car (we were detailed on most during our TD). A senior executive at the Thrissur Showroom came for handing over the key. A box of chocolates and tissue papers were also handed over. The showroom guys took a photo of the hand over ceremony. We pulled out of the showroom at 1815. A 'voucher' for 5 litres of diesel was also given. We refueled at a pump right near the showroom, and started off on our way back home. My brother was at the wheels of the new car, while I was driving our Innova.

I drove 'my' car for the first time the same night - I found it a bit hard to release the clutch properly, and with every gear change, the car jerked forward. Another thing that I kept fumbling with was the indicators - I turned on the wiper every time. It took quite some time to get accustomed to the opposite levers in this car. The car was too sluggish in every gear, and overtakes were out of question. On the fourth day since purchase, we took her for the first long ride. I was at the wheel. On the outbound journey, the car was sluggish and overtakes were a pain. On the return journey though, the car was well-behaved. It rained down heavily on the return journey, and that put the ABS to test. The car took corners well, and remained well-balanced on the whole. Driving through Kochi's maddening traffic was a breeze (compared to the Innova, of course).

The car was registered at Kodungallur SRTO on Saturday. The process was a breeze, and our agent ensured everything went without a hitch. The car has clocked about 300 kms (it was 18 on the odo, at delivery) till date. The average fuel consumption shows around 14.1 kmpl.

My impressions on the car: (both pros and cons mentioned)
1. The long clutch is proving very helpful at traffic jams. There is very little "opposite" pressure from the clutch when fully pressed. The dead pedal integration is make it redundant. I am getting used to the narrow footwell - but my size 10 footwear makes things a bit difficult.
2. The AC is damn powerful - the car is converted to a freezer very quickly.
3. The stock audio system is adequate for my needs - I don't prefer loud music, and I usually tune to FM radio or listen to Malayalam movie songs. These play well.
4. I was sad to find that the Emotion variant does not support USB drives.
5. The plastic finish could've been better, but looks good nevertheless. The two-tone interiors match well with the minimal-grey external colour.
6. The tyre-noise penetrates well into the interiors - was slightly irritating when the car went above 60.

These are some points I can state off-hand. Will add more later. Some more pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1330918.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1330966.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1330959.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1330978.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1330986.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340001.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340067.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340068.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340070.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340073.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340132.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340295.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340314.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340343.jpg  

Old 29th December 2009, 20:54   #40
BHPian

Congrats on the new Punto. It looks really nice standing next to the Innova. Hope the Tata A.S.Service keeps you happy. Do post more details as you move along...
basilmabraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 21:16   #41
BANNED

Congrats on your new buy, hope you will enjoy it to the most.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2010, 21:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Default 36 days on the Calender, 2600 kms on the Odo

Its been just 36 days since the silver cutie came home - she's already 2600 kms young !!!

She's been running places since the day she came - putting up an average 72.23 kms per day. She's been constantly returning 15~16kmpl - the ride is predominantly on the highway (typical one-and-a-half lane highways in Kerala, with heavy traffic) with quite some city runs (in Ernakulam) too.

During the initial few days, the pick up was disappointing - overtakes were a headache. Now, she pulls clean from stop even in second gear. Although I don't pressurize, she has done speeds upto 130kmph - even at that speed, the car feels well placed on the road - Stable and well under control.

The car has done two 'long' trips till date - Kodungallur-Cherpulassery (some 120 kms each way), and Kodungallur-Angadippuram (some 130 kms each way). Both trips went well without a hitch (doing the distance in 2 hours each time).

I've got used to the sound now - its now melody. Just felt that the AC could've been a little silent - the blower is just too loud. I felt the headlamps were too underpowered for the highways - plan to upgrade them soon. The road holding is just amazing.

The front bumper scrapes every time you hit an abnormal hump or disleveled surface on the road.

Now that the car is soon to go for first service, would like to know if I should be concentrating on any specific point. I plan to get the engine oil changed (at my cost).

Some random pics uploaded (they are not recent ones, though)
Attached Thumbnails
Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340366.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340916.jpg  

Naah! Not Again!! Here's another Punto - Edit: 1 year 25K update-p1340964.jpg  

Last edited by binaiks : 27th January 2010 at 21:21.
Old 29th January 2010, 00:24   #43
BHPian

hey looks like your really loving your car.!
Can you give a comparison between the punto and innova based on your experiances as far as ride and handling and engine performance is concerned?
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 10:45   #44
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Its been just 36 days since the silver cutie came home - she's already 2600 kms young !!!

She's been running places since the day she came - putting up an average 72.23 kms per day. She's been constantly returning 15~16kmpl - the ride is predominantly on the highway (typical one-and-a-half lane highways in Kerala, with heavy traffic) with quite some city runs (in Ernakulam) too.

Now that the car is soon to go for first service, would like to know if I should be concentrating on any specific point. I plan to get the engine oil changed (at my cost).

Some random pics uploaded (they are not recent ones, though)
Pls get the Engine Oil Changed at first service , The engine Noise should be less, post first service and engine oil change , Needless to say expect a good 3-4 kms increase in FE post 1st service .

Drive her Safe .
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 20:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Got my car serviced from Concorde Motors, Kochi on Tuesday. Engine oil was changed on request. The bill came out to a hefty Rs 3600. (The engine oil alone cost me Rs 2800) - Rs. 400 was charged towards wheel alignment.

The service quality was mind-boggling. I had booked an appointment the previous day - the time given was 10 AM. Heavy traffic blocks meant I reached there only past 1020. The executive came around only around 1040 - too many cars that morning. The executive took me around for a test drive before the car was taken in - to check for abnormal sounds, and alignment/braking problems.

He promised delivery at 1730 - I called him a 1700, and the car was ready! At 1725, I got a message from "TATA" saying that the car was ready for delivery. I took delivery at 1800 - was shining clean, and ride was silent - truly silent.

Given the horror stories here, TATA-FIAT has gone a long long long way in improving service. The overall feel was similar to the ones that I experienced last at Millennium Toyota, Thane (where I used to get my old Qualis serviced). Very professional indeed.

Took the car out on a highway ride today - she briefly touched a top speed of 150 kmph. Felt well planted and the was well under control. The tyre noise has reduced a bit - perhaps I got acquainted to it!

Total Reading on the ODO as of today: 3700 kms.