Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th January 2010, 17:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

I am sure even Tata would be surprised!
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 17:35   #17
BHPian

I was in that car from morning 7 Am to 6 Pm, for all 400 kms. I also talked with my relative who knows this guy. My relative also confimed that this guy has great cab business in that area & will give proper + real info.
I think TATA or even other companies must have info like this.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 4th January 2010 at 17:37.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 17:45   #18
BHPian

There was once a tata sumo in my office which was in stock condition even after doing 2 L KMS. It was used for various office errands - like airport/hotel drops & pickups. Late night drops etc. It's very well possible if one takes care of the vehicle properly.
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 18:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
4L without a rebuild, and that too an indica is a bit hard to believe!
I agree with this. I cannot beleive 4 lakhs without atleast a top end engine job from any Tata Engine. This whole thread is going to have critics and kudos based on a drivers story. What the hell, it's going to be fun to read..

Last edited by 4x4addict : 4th January 2010 at 18:34.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 08:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

What ever care you do,4Lakh plus is amazing with Tata cars. All the best to that guy to have such a wonderful piece from Tata. Let him Care more for the future.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 08:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Man he should open a TATA motors driving school and teach others how to run a TATA engine for 4L + kms. Plus its a diesel. Either the car is an exact opposite to a lemon (can't find a word) or this dude is pretty lucky. By now most owners would have scrapped it. Can you manage some photos buddy ?
My father always used to say, TATA can make good trucks. They should not go to the cars' domian. Wait till my dad and his colleagues in TATA here this.
Not that anyone is telling a lie but 4 + Lakhs in a TATA diesel is unheard of, so seems a little wierd.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 5th January 2010 at 08:17.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 08:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

i can definitely say no way a Tata indica engine can do 4 lac+ km the engine has to be re done ( overhaul ) and this is with my personnel experience

i have owned more that a dozen indicas since its launch and all of them were overhaul b/w 1.25lac to 1.75 lac km and these were maintained very very well
so i cann't believe a Tata indica engine doing 4 lac+ km
its just my view
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 08:33   #23
SMK
BHPian

Why not get more information from the Guy himself? @mrkanitkar, can you get some pics of the car and the engine bay? If the car is still running without an engine overhaul after 4L Kms on the ODO, its really a bit hard to believe.
I sure want to believe in it since i was a proud owner of a Indica Turbo DLG which served me for 3 straight years with 45k on the ODO and was still in top notch condition. I would love to see more details on this one and make sure this is proved that TATA can indeed make reliable cars!
Good Job!
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 10:33   #24
BHPian

Guys,

This is a sharing info. I do not own TATA. I have Maruti, Toyota Altis in India.

I am not going to make any $$ by giving non sense story. I don't hate or love TATA like mad. I am back in Pune, so can not go back to owner to take pictures etc. It's plain straight story, what I seen, verified in given time, driven myself for sometime. I am not automobile engineer. I can only say it's real story thats it. I thought this info would be useful for this community, so I shared it.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th January 2010 at 14:32. Reason: improving readability.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 14:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

@mrkanitkar:

None of us are saying that you have any personal thing to gain in starting this thread, but as anyone who has owned an India for over a lakh kms will tell you, there is no way an Indica engine will cross 4 lakh kms without an engine overhaul !!

I don't think you can say it is the truth. It is pretty much what a cab driver told you. That doesn't make it a fact or the truth. From driving the car, there is no way to verify that the engine has not been rebuild.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th January 2010 at 14:01.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 14:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default seeing is believing

Quote:
The key here is good maintenance. People blame the product for the WRONG / BAD maintenance it gets from the A.S.S of TATA.
@Headers- 4,10,000 is a magic figure! Even difficuilt to believe even if it is the best maintained car in the world. For example I can believe if you say this on your Bolero VLX CRDe engine but not for a peugeot XDP.90.

Quote:
Heard = Rumor. See it to believe it.
@ JK das- i have owned TATA cars but never drove up till 1 lakh plus kms. My last indica DLG turbo had almost 50k on odo. Maintained by TATA A.S.S through out. But didnt give me feeling like it will go forever. Plus so many threads in TBHP on TATA cars reliability problems do not support this remarkable feat of 4,10,00 on the odo.

Quote:
i have owned more that a dozen indicas since its launch and all of them were overhaul b/w 1.25lac to 1.75 lac km and these were maintained very very well
so i cann't believe a Tata indica engine doing 4 lac+ km
its just my view
@ Manikjeet- I agree with you. What i claimed to hear is confirmed by you. May be this car is just too special to do 4 lakh plus kms if and only if the cab driver is not lying!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 5th January 2010 at 14:24.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 14:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

+1 to the posts saying the figure is suspect.
In India, doing semi-urban/rural taxi duty, and 4 lac kms with no engine overhaul, I am not buying this.
Now, the only reason why this thread came up is because the driver most probably lied to our fellow BHPian, why, is something which can be analysed in many ways.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 14:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Please ! don't compare.
Hey It's an Indian Benz right.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 14:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT: But, here is an interesting read about high mileage Mercedes cars. The highest mileage car recorded insane 46,00,000 KM before it was handed over to Mercedes Benz Museum collection.

Source: Mercedes-Benz Re-Launches High-Mileage Award and Introduces 'Birth Certificate' For All Models

Last edited by RX135 : 5th January 2010 at 15:03.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 15:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post

When I took reading around 4 lac+, I was shocked. I cheked it twice & asked driver, are you sure you have more than 4 lac on meter? He said YES with big smile and so we started the discussion.
I think the odo in Indica resets to 0 once it crosses 99999kms mark. So is there a way to make out how many times it has crossed the 0 mark ? I am asking out of curiosity.

Edit: I have driven an Ikon 1.8D that has done more than 230000kms on ODO without rebuild. But the ODO showed only 33XXX kms on the ODO. Hence the question.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 5th January 2010 at 15:19.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote