Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th June 2013, 17:15   #151
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio 1.6 - 5.5 years and 100,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarsid View Post
Thank you Kiran! I found a 2008 Palio, Mjd sdx so I went ahead and bought it. It's really well maintained but I guess I have to change the clutch plates . It's making a 'thunk' sound if I let go of the clutch early, and the car switches off sometimes if I leave the clutch while downshifting . Apart from changing their filter and topping up the oils can you enlighten me on changing the clutch plates or what I need to so?? Thanks. The car has done 66k km.
The 'thunk' sound may be due to the clutch release bearings. if you're getting them changed, may as well changes the clutch itself. 66000 is enough to put a mark on the clutch.

Also, you might want to check the fuel being used in the car. shutting off while downshifting could indicate fuel issues. Since yours is a diesel, i'm really not sure on what to suggest. when this happens in my car, i get the throttle body cleaned and things get back to normal. this does happen once in 20000 kms or so.
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 00:29   #152

Thank you Lucifer, will change the clutch tomorrow. i doubt it is the fuel though. ill look into the the throttle body! will get back once I'm done with the service!
sagarsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 10:52   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Hello People,

Just another update here regarding the car. It has now done 70,000 kms. Went for a drive to Pune last month.

Visited the good old mechanic Ravi in Pune and got the lower arms also replaced from him. Honestly, i find the service in bangalore appalling as compared to the roadside assistance we get for Palios in Pune.
The only reason i say 'roadside' is because Ravi owns one of these . make no mistake though, he is trained by Fiat and used to work for Ashwamegh and then B.U.Bhandari so i know him well
Kiran - Do you mind sharing the details of Ravi and his workshop location. I am based out of Kothrud, Pune and owns 2004 Palio Sports. I am facing a problem with suspension as every single bump reaches me and on humps the vehicle seems to change the path. My mechanic has mentioned that the following needs changes (he has provided quotes from Fiat dealer in Pune - the notorious Pandits) as -

Front struts - 8500 x 2 - 17000
Rear Struts - 5000 x 2 - 10000

I am happy with association with this car, however am not convinced to spend a bomb really. Appreciate help as its more a sale or repair decision for me
sanstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 13:49   #154

Hey Lucifer,
so i got the car checked up at a garage, the reason for the "Thunk" sound while changing gears was because of the axle rod at the left tyre, which was making the engine move under the hood. It was physically moving and because of that, the air duct had come loose due to which the car was stalling.I'm yet to take the decision on that clutch replacement as the mechanic told me it could do a few more thousand! Will update once i get the car back tomrrow!

Cheers
sagarsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 17:50   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
Kiran - Do you mind sharing the details of Ravi and his workshop location. I am based out of Kothrud, Pune and owns 2004 Palio Sports. I am facing a problem with suspension as every single bump reaches me and on humps the vehicle seems to change the path. My mechanic has mentioned that the following needs changes (he has provided quotes from Fiat dealer in Pune - the notorious Pandits) as -

Front struts - 8500 x 2 - 17000
Rear Struts - 5000 x 2 - 10000

I am happy with association with this car, however am not convinced to spend a bomb really. Appreciate help as its more a sale or repair decision for me
WOW! those are some crazy quotes you have for struts. I know that we don't get the original Magnetti-Marelli CoFap suspension anymore. If that's what they are getting you, go for it, you wont regret it. But make sure its nothing else.

And the Pandit guys are a total rip-off. We got the S10 engine rebuilt from them and in less than 5000 kms, we're seeing smoke from the car with a humongous amount of oil consumption, this after spending close to 60000 for the rebuild.

I got the struts changed on my car about 5000 Kms back and it cost me 5000 for all 4 corners. There were some German OEM though. And, i got this work done in Bangalore.

I think Ravi has just shifted his garage. You can reach him via phone at: +91-9766622610 and he can guide you with directions.
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 11:13   #156
BHPian

Quote:
I think Ravi has just shifted his garage. You can reach him via phone at: +91-9766622610 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +91-9766622610 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting and he can guide you with directions.
Thanks Kiran. I am trying to reach Ravi , no luck yet (seems he is having busy time with Fiatians).

I have also come across a site http://www.99rpm.com/ , which has good stock of Fiat accessories.

Front Suspension pair (Magneti-Marelli) - 10428
Rear Suspension Shock Absorber strut (OEM 46519347 not sure if its MM) -
3075 * 2 = 6150

It still seems steep. Sorry to hijack the thread, but are there anyone from this forum using this site and appreciate if can provide feedback.
sanstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 17:45   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
Thanks Kiran. I am trying to reach Ravi , no luck yet (seems he is having busy time with Fiatians).

I have also come across a site http://www.99rpm.com/ , which has good stock of Fiat accessories.

Front Suspension pair (Magneti-Marelli) - 10428
Rear Suspension Shock Absorber strut (OEM 46519347 not sure if its MM) -
3075 * 2 = 6150

It still seems steep. Sorry to hijack the thread, but are there anyone from this forum using this site and appreciate if can provide feedback.
I have had an interaction with the guys from 99rpm.com. The guys used to be a IT professional who started the site out of the heartburn that he faced while maintaining his Fiat cars. Genuine guy and good deals. he does let you know up-front if a part is a local replica or the original deal. a friend bought the decals for his palio from them.

the prices seem right for the MM components.
lucifer919 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 18:21   #158
Senior - BHPian

Bought Gear Knob from www.99rpm.com - ordered it on Wednesday last week and the package was delivered yesterday. They are still in 'beta mode' (?) - Credit / Debit cards are not accepted at the moment. they are using 'Grihapay' and Account Transfer. Satisfied with their service.

The owner is a PUG member

Last edited by planet_rocker : 19th June 2013 at 18:23.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 11:37   #159
BHPian

I have a Palio SDX and a while back got hold of an S10. The problem is the insides of the right side rear tire is wearing off fast in spite of regular alignments. I got it checked and the service guy said that there is a problem with the axle which is slightly bent and has to be replaced. He suggested palio multijet rear axle can be fitted to S10.

My query is can palio stile multijets rear axle be fitted to S10?
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:00   #160
BHPian

All,
I have 2007 Palio 1.6 sport. It has run 46K. I am having couple of issue and in dilemma to sell and buy new car or get it fixed and keep it(depending on the cost). Can you please help to roughly estimate the cost:
(1) Clutch is hard. It really pains in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore(I drive 20 km one way in the heart of Bangalore :-)). I test drove Punto today and felt too good. Is my clutch is gone?
(2) Front seats are really stiff and I always had a feel of sitting lower. Is there a way I can change the seats?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 08:17   #161
BHPian

Hi All

I came across these brake disks for palio 1.6 GTX on 99 RPM - http://www.99rpm.com/brake-disk-pyx-...faqnbp3etinb01.

It looks China made to me.

Please can someone let me know if its fine to have these fitted on my car as I have huge shudder in my brakes and need to change the brake disks.

Regards
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 19:24   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Hi All

I came across these brake disks for palio 1.6 GTX on 99 RPM - http://www.99rpm.com/brake-disk-pyx-...faqnbp3etinb01.

It looks China made to me.

Please can someone let me know if its fine to have these fitted on my car as I have huge shudder in my brakes and need to change the brake disks.

Regards
Well, its an Indian brand if that's a consolation.

If you can get the originals, nothing like it, otherwise this is your only option in my opinion. I've noticed 99rpm does try and source the original parts where it can, if not they have parts from Indian manufacturers which seem genuine enough. Of course, there is no guarantee but then what other choice is there?
sharninder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 10:27   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post

If you can get the originals, nothing like it, otherwise this is your only option in my opinion. I've noticed 99rpm does try and source the original parts where it can, if not they have parts from Indian manufacturers which seem genuine enough. Of course, there is no guarantee but then what other choice is there?
I drive the car in the city everyday to my office commute and not on highways. So there is no harm in trying it out I believe.

The previous disks were also locally sourced by the mechanic. Though the braking was good enough, it developed judder after 20,000 KMS.

I will order the disks and get it installed, I have resigned to the reality of using local parts on my palio.

Regards
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 16:37   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I drive the car in the city everyday to my office commute and not on highways. So there is no harm in trying it out I believe.

The previous disks were also locally sourced by the mechanic. Though the braking was good enough, it developed judder after 20,000 KMS.

I will order the disks and get it installed, I have resigned to the reality of using local parts on my palio.
Got the disks PYX disks installed. Have done around 650 KMS since then and 450 of those was on highway travel due to some emergence.

So far so good. The bite and brake pedal feel remains same. But there is no judder. Will keep updated if there is any issues.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 18:53   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post

Actually many parts made by Indian manufacturers are of good quality and cost a fraction of the OEM. The OEM for palio's is ridiculously expensive as most of it is imported. The brands stocked by 99rpm are generally of good quality. Case in matter, OEM brake pads/calipers for Palio which are TVS Girling cost more than TVS Girling (having same part number) in the open market.

I need to replace my front suspension. Shocks + Lower arm soon. Have found a quality manufacturer (after market) for lower arms. Am still looking for good after market struts that would cost me lesser than the OEM ones. The OEM ones are around 10k a pair. Please help!
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote