Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th September 2011, 09:28   #106
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default re: FIAT Palio 1.6 - 83000Kms update

lucifer919 - The prices may have been revised now, am not too sure. But let me tell you frankly that even Venkatesh charges a slight premium but what I have noticed is that somehow he manages to source the original parts and from where only he and the almighty knows.

If you are not in a hurry, will try to check with him on the prices. I'm meeting him next week. Probably he may shelve a few bucks here and there.

And no way the struts can be for 15K. The A.S.S might have checked the quote for something else.

Last edited by JVH : 9th September 2011 at 09:33.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 11:50   #107
Senior - BHPian

Lucifier,

Please find the spare parts price list which was revised in 2008. Dunno if the prices have been revised again. But the price quoted is definitely higher and struts are not 15K.

parts-price-correction-Fiat-oct-2008-1-1.xls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
And no way the struts can be for 15K. The A.S.S might have checked the quote for something else.
I agree to this , Jayant

The following is the details of work done on RedMM340's GTX

2002 Palio 1(1).6 GTX.xls

I did a small calculation based on the above and estimated this:

Suspension Work Estimate.xls

FIAT ASC in Kolkata gave an estimate of 24K for working on the front suspension of my car.

Got it done for 1200/- from Hyundai ASC (only steering ball joint required some work)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 9th September 2011 at 11:53.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 23:07   #108
BHPian

Hi All,

Thank you all for the response. When I asked about the high prices, they mentioned that the spares for Palios are now all imported and nothing is produced locally. The spare price hike happened just a month back as per my information.

Just as an example, the headlights that earlier were 7000, now retail for 10000 per unit.

@JVH: Thank you for the offer and do check with Venkatesh once and confirm if the price quote is correct.

@Planet_Rocker: The price list from 2008 is no longer valid as the prices for most parts if not all are now hiked by almost two-fold.

And yes, i'm planning on the change by end of this month so i do have a little time. Would you guys recommend that both lower arms be changed at the same time or should i change only the one that needs it? I'm not too comfortable of letting the other one be, simply because the car has already run 65000 kms on the original arms and the other one will also warrant a replacement sometime in the near future.

Also, do the struts need a replacement with the lower arms? is it a necessity or can that be put off for a little while longer? Since moving to Bangalore, i'm kinda tight on the budget for a couple of months and would like to postpone the struts if possible.
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 12:52   #109
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
now the problem is that @$$ gave me a quote of 5200+tax for each lower arm. the thread by JVH on his car ownership has some spare costs pegging the lower arm at ~2100. Venkatesh from Gowri automobiles quoted around 4000. which price is correct and how do i confirm?

also, the price of strut kit in the same thread by JVH pegs the strut at 1800 each and the @$$ is quoting 17000 for it.

and yes, you guys read it right. the descrepency is over 15000 Rs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
If you are not in a hurry, will try to check with him on the prices. I'm meeting him next week. Probably he may shelve a few bucks here and there.

Quote:
@JVH: Thank you for the offer and do check with Venkatesh once and confirm if the price quote is correct.
I spoke to Venkatesh and the price is around Rs. 4200 odd. The price is increased now and he told me that these do not have any margins for him either and he's selling with the company price as is.

Quote:

Would you guys recommend that both lower arms be changed at the same time or should i change only the one that needs it? I'm not too comfortable of letting the other one be, simply because the car has already run 65000 kms on the original arms and the other one will also warrant a replacement sometime in the near future.
Yes, please replace both.

Quote:

Also, do the struts need a replacement with the lower arms? is it a necessity or can that be put off for a little while longer? Since moving to Bangalore, i'm kinda tight on the budget for a couple of months and would like to postpone the struts if possible.
Should be possible if struts are intact and can do the job. IIRC, Lohith Rao replaced only the lower arms. You can check with him.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:54   #110
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting for the lower arm to arrive at Him Motors, Delhi. The price is around Rs 4,400/-. Replacement along with labour could go to Rs 5,200/-. The front right shocker mounting might also have to be replaced (based on inspection while changing the right lower arm). I will put up the cost when I get the job done, hopefully within a couple of weeks.

There are some "Taiwanese' lower arms in the market that are cheaper. If you're on PUG, these are the ones Kawa Motors is selling. You may explore that option, while I wouldn't and would rather wait for the original part at the service centre.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 01:16   #111
BHPian

Default FIAT Palio 1.6 - 70,000 Kms update

Hello People,

Just another update here regarding the car. It has now done 70,000 kms. Went for a drive to Pune last month.

Visited the good old mechanic Ravi in Pune and got the lower arms also replaced from him. Honestly, i find the service in bangalore appalling as compared to the roadside assistance we get for Palios in Pune.
The only reason i say 'roadside' is because Ravi owns one of these . make no mistake though, he is trained by Fiat and used to work for Ashwamegh and then B.U.Bhandari so i know him well.

Been a smooth ride with the car though. In Bangalore traffic, it consistently gives me a mileage of 12-13 kmpl. The suspension has become kind of firm but feels like it can go on for atleast another 10,000 kms.

Overall, i'm a very happy Fiat owner and lover.

Kiran

MODS: please edit the title to reflect 70,000 kms.

Last edited by lucifer919 : 10th November 2011 at 01:17. Reason: note for mods
lucifer919 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 16:56   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Been a smooth ride with the car though. In Bangalore traffic, it consistently gives me a mileage of 12-13 kmpl.
MODS: please edit the title to reflect 70,000 kms.
How do you manage this type of mileage? I barely manage to cross 10KMPL in city and 13.5KMPL on highways.. On highways always > 120KMPH and average speed of around 85KMPH...
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 16:56   #113
BHPian

Hi Lucifer
Congrats on your car doing 70000 kms,
How much did you pay for the lower arms?
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 20:55   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
How do you manage this type of mileage? I barely manage to cross 10KMPL in city and 13.5KMPL on highways.. On highways always > 120KMPH and average speed of around 85KMPH...
In traffic, i try not to accelerate suddenly or brake similarly and keep the engine between 1500-3000 RPM. On the highways, i'm usually around 150+ most of the time (Pune-Bangalore is my highway travel) and still get a mileage of around 13+. I do make it a point to run the 3M fuel and injector flush once in about 10 tankfuls and that keeps the engine happy i guess.

Definitely dont do anything special

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Hi Lucifer
Congrats on your car doing 70000 kms,
How much did you pay for the lower arms?
Paid 5800 for the arms.

On another note, i was complaining about the Yoko S-drives not being up to expectations but figured out that the weird handling was due to the lower arms being shot. with the new arms, the cars tracks perfectly and these tyres are already my longest running set so far. i like them now.
Old 11th November 2011, 22:10   #115
BHPian

Hi Lucifer
Are the lower arms original FIAT or some other brand like it is available at Kawa

Some weeks back when i was at Kawa I saw a box full of shock absorbers being unloaded. I was told it was for Palio and they were MADE IN CHINA spares and half the price of the originals
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 23:16   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Paid 5800 for the arms.
I paid Rs 5000/- for one at the ASC. A considerable difference in price.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:25   #117
BHPian

Hello Guys.

In a real mess right now so need some help and advice.

Here goes. I have after market wheels on the car (as shows in the pictures in this thread) and they are held on by the fancy Allen Head bolts. Have a flat tyre so gotta remove the bolts to replace.

The problem now is, when trying to get the bolts off, found that one bolt has the Allen head actually broken. So, the bolt will no longer come off or even losen for that matter.

We tried to get the socket as packed in with a lot of stuff but nothing has helped so far. its just shredded a lot of other stuff.

the only thing i can think of is to get a fabricator to extract the botl by welding something else to it. but the problem here is that the car has a flat tyre so not going anywhere anytime soon.

Dont think buying a puncture kit will help either because the damned thing that has the tyre pierced looked like the outside of a large pair of scissors so the puncture is thin and wide. i honestly dont think i have the skill to patch that up.

so, any ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by lucifer919 : 2nd December 2011 at 22:31.
lucifer919 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:58   #118
BHPian

Smile Re: FIAT Palio 1.6 - 73,500 Kms update

Hello All,

Just another small update to the ownership log.

Car completed 73,500 kms so got it serviced a couple of days back. changed the Engine, Gearbox oils and topped up the brake fluid.

Another weird issue i had, was that the coolant tank in the front was opaque. you just could not see the level of fluid in the container. on inspecting further, it was smelling funny.

about a year back, the radiator was replaced by one of the new workshops in Pune and they said they had filled Synthetic antifreeze (the red type).
the dye had probably seperated from the fluid and formed a layer on the coolant container and similarly on the insides of the radiator as well. got that cleaned out.

the wheel bolt that was screwed (literally) was also welded out with no damage to the wheel itself.

overall, more happy miles to go.
Old 24th December 2011, 10:48   #119
Senior - BHPian

^Congrats, which engine oil did you go for ?
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 04:12   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle
^Congrats, which engine oil did you go for ?
Shell helix ultra 5w40
lucifer919 is offline   Reply With Quote