Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th February 2010, 11:27   #1
gvk
BHPian

Default Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review

It's now seven years bond with my Indica. The date of purchase is 16th October, 2003.

The car met with a major accident within 2 months of purchase. The insurance company has to shell out more than a Lakh of rupees. Luckily there were no injuries in the accident.

Today, my car has clocked 1,00,540 kms. and believe me, there is not even a single incident after that. Except few scratches here and there in the Hyderabad traffic, which is very common.

Coming to the important issue - maintenance, I remember there were only two major issues. One pertaining to the steering rod assembly and the other one with Gears.

The steering rod assembly was replaced free of cost, as it was within the extended warranty period. For gear box problem, I spent, may be around Rs. 5000/- (Don't remember exactly)

This, October the car will be completing 7 years.

I am not sure now, whether to sell it or retain it. Now I am using Indica only for city drives.

Looking forward for suggestions.
gvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 21:05   #2
gvk
BHPian

Found the reply :

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - On Owning - YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Thanks!! GTO
Old 1st March 2010, 19:14   #3
BHPian

I feel any one lakh kms covered car deserves a detailed review with pictures.
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 19:18   #4
gvk
BHPian

Sure.. will do that when time permits
Old 1st March 2010, 19:33   #5
BHPian

GVK, a photo of your ride with a photo blog of your 1,00,000Km association with the car would be greatly appreciated.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:51   #6
gvk
BHPian

Unhappy Indica photos

All the pictures pertaining to my Indica are in my Laptop, which has crashed. I am yet to retrieve thos pictures.
I have taken few pictures now.. which I am uploading for the time being.

After seven years relationship, I am forced to park my Indica out of the Gate -
Attached Thumbnails
Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review-all-pictures-993.jpg  

Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review-indica-001.jpg  

Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review-indica-004.jpg  

Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review-indica-002.jpg  

Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review-indica-003.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2010, 14:08   #7
BHPian

Well maintained car bro. I have always liked three colors in Indica; dark greyish, silver green (not sure which color it is), and the one that you have.
The car looks good. By the way, what is the FE that its returning? And what are the maintenance costs? I personally seem to get nostalgic when it comes to cars and bikes, hence would never want to sell my machines. Its me again, your decision should be yours; based on the economical considerations et al.
Johnny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:17   #8
BHPian

Hi, nice post.!
Was this the 1st generation Indica? If yes, they had a terrible history of maintainability costs. What have been your spends on it YoY?
I agree with Johnny, I would never sell off, if I had a car.
Cheers..!
sameern.85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:42   #9
BHPian

GVK, thats a neatly maintained India.

OT: I did notice the "Press" stickering on both your cars, are you working in the media?
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:47   #10
gvk
BHPian

Johny & Sameern.85 thanks for the compliment. In the recent past I have not checked the mileage, I think with AC on and in Hyderabad traffic I must be getting somewhere around 14 kms/litre. This is not 1st generation Indica, it's called V2. Till now I didn't spend much on maintenance, except the regular Oil changes labour costs etc.
Every second or third service the showroom guys suggest something like Engine flushing etc. Only recently I obliged to them when the pickup has come down drastically.

However, I think now the time has come to shell out some money on maintenance. Reboring, change of rear wheel bearings are round the corner. Last year I change front wheel bearings.

ElantraGT,
Almost each and every kilometre is driven by me. (except the showroom mechanics when we give for servicing) That is the reason I was able to maintain in this condition.
I work for a National newspaper.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2010 at 21:47. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:03   #11
gvk
BHPian

Default one more picture - metre reading

I didn't take picture after completing 100000 kms. However, as suggested by the forum today I have taken couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review-indica-009.jpg  

Indica DLS II - 1,00,000 kms review-indica-010.jpg  

Old 9th March 2010, 00:32   #12
gvk
BHPian

Today at around 9 p.m. I started my Indica and switched on the Head Lights... suddenly the engine stopped and there were no lights in the display panel and the ignition was not working. The roof lamp and central locking system was working. Thought some fuse problem.

With great difficulty found a mechanic. Finally identified the problem - the wire got cut and he rectified the problem.

At last reached home at midnight. What if the same incident happens on a highway?
Old 9th March 2010, 07:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

learn to remove the fusebox lid, and to swap the relays

the relay arrangements is mentioned on the lid. You can swap the headlight cutout with that of another non critical cutout of the same rating (ac etc)
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 10:04   #14
BHPian

100000 kms and only few problems, thats great! Wonder when I will be able to write this kind of report, my zen is only at 33k now.

So in this duration, how many times have you changed the clutch assembly, tryes, brake shoes and air filter? How is the AC performance? Have you done any work on the suspension or is it stock?

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 9th March 2010 at 10:05.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 14:50   #15
gvk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
learn to remove the fusebox lid, and to swap the relays

the relay arrangements is mentioned on the lid. You can swap the headlight cutout with that of another non critical cutout of the same rating (ac etc)
Yes everyone should learn those simple task. However, in this case that was not the problem. A cable got cut and the AC technician whom I knew rectified the problem