Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 2nd July 2010, 23:35   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
That spare tyre looks very skinny. What are the specs?
Like the car owner already stated - its a space saver tyre and not a full size spare.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:35   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

OMG . 20k for that skinny tyre, with steel rims??. Is it "technologically packed" .
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:45   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Like the car owner already stated - its a space saver tyre and not a full size spare.
Got that from car owners post itself!!!!

My real question is, that skinny tyre costs 20k?
SumitBahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:33   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Got that from car owners post itself!!!!

My real question is, that skinny tyre costs 20k?
Let me answer that for you. Yes the space saver skinny tyre does cost 20k
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 02:33   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

@ All - It seems you are not familiar with the concept of the space saver. Look it up, there's quite a bit on them on the forum I think.

I think it's 135/80 R17. It's supposed to be just a temporary fix till you can get your runflat puncture repaired. And yes, it costs 20k. You don't get space savers anywhere in India AFAIK, you have to buy them from the car companies themselves. And it's not just the tyre, but also the steel wheel and the entire toolkit which was included in the cost. Now considering that a runflat costs about the same to replace, I didn't find it a very big deal, although I agree that it should not have been so expensive.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 14:20   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Default First expressway trip...

Finally, after 3990 km of giving me dirty looks, the Beemer was taken for its first expressway trip. Now after the 330i review, I've already had a taste of what this car can do, so the trip didn't leave me completely speechless. However, I'm still in awe of this car's ability to shrink distances and warp time, and I'm not kidding.

We left late on Saturday evening, when it was pouring in Mumbai. Inspite of heavy traffic upto the expressway, and heavy rain till we passed Lonavla, we still made it in three hours flat. The way this thing pullllllllssssss !!! One unending wave of torque, wayyyy more fun than the 330i.

Now frankly I've always been just a bit skeptical about whether my 205's can handle 350 NM well, since the Highline comes with 225's as does the 330i. But all doubts cleared now, they do the job just as well as the fatter tyres. With rains and a wet road, grip and control was absolutely flawless, and we were doing quite significant speeds here. Most of the sweeping turns were taken without any signs that would normally hint at slowing down. And the way this car masks speed is just incredible. A couple of times I looked at the speedo and was at seeing 40 kmph more than what I thought I was doing. The rear seat occupants were snoozing peacefully, while in the Corolla, things became quite "lively" past 120 kmph. Some patches of bad road were also handled well, but I cringed at the thought of putting my car through that in the first place. Not that I had a choice.

Best part is, inspite of using tiptronic for 95% of the trip (which means pulling in every gear to make rapid progress) I hardly used up a quarter of the tank on the way to Pune. Overall, we did precisely 370 km on this trip (and on this tank), and the overall FE was 13.2 kmpl with half a tank yet to go !!

Here's one I clicked in Pune.

Name:  Photo0798 Medium.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  72.1 KB
Old 13th July 2010, 17:02   #202
BHPian

Default Dumped the RFT's

Finally dumped the Dunlop RFT's on my 320D CE and got Conti CPC2's today in slightly taller profile (205/60-16). Traded in my used ER300's (appx 2600 kms and 1 tire was with a puncture repair). Don't ask how much I lost in the bargain.
No now RFT's and noo spare. Hmmm, probably will have to spend another 11K on the BMW Mobility kit.
ackyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 21:51   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Finally dumped the Dunlop RFT's on my 320D CE and got Conti CPC2's today in slightly taller profile (205/60-16). Traded in my used ER300's (appx 2600 kms and 1 tire was with a puncture repair). Don't ask how much I lost in the bargain.
Right now, I really need to know exactly that figure !! And this is probably the best thing you ever did for your car. Runflats simply suck, there are just no two ways to it.

Quote:
No now RFT's and noo spare. Hmmm, probably will have to spend another 11K on the BMW Mobility kit.
I'd definitely suggest a space saver over a Mobility Kit.
Old 13th July 2010, 22:34   #204
BHPian

Ackyash - Just what exactly is this Mobility kit ? What all does it contain ?

Flying spur - Did u correctly mention the space saver size - 135/80 R17 !?! Isnt it an odd size ? Will it be safe to have such a variation in the size ? This size seems to be smaller than even the Yamaha FZ rear tire

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 13th July 2010 at 22:37.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 22:45   #205
BHPian

Default BMW Mobility Kit

Here is a pic of the BMW mobility kit which includes a air pump and some sort of sealent gel. It repairs tires which are punctured. It is not recommended for RFT's according to some web sites but is fine to use with regular tubeless tires.
Attached Images

ackyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 23:08   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Will it be safe to have such a variation in the size ? This size seems to be smaller than even the Yamaha FZ rear tire.
I think my bicycle had thicker tyres No seriously, before buying it I did about a 2-kilometre test run, and it was just fine. It's meant to get me to the nearest tyre shop. Or in a worst case scenario, get me to a tyre shop really far away at slow to moderate speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Here is a pic of the BMW mobility kit which includes a air pump and some sort of sealent gel. It repairs tires which are punctured. It is not recommended for RFT's according to some web sites but is fine to use with regular tubeless tires.
I was also told it's not recommended for RFT's. I am most definitely in favour of a spare tyre (space saver or whatever) over the Mobility Kit, as the compressor will be effective only with really slow-deflating punctures as told to me. And that sealant etc is just a hassle.
Old 14th July 2010, 03:44   #207
Senior - BHPian

wow ... after reading all this on space savers, if I was ever making a purchase decision in this segment, this whole RFT business may actually be a deciding factor in going for the competition. I wish BMW would just offer the customer the choice of picking RFTs or regular tubeless instead of forcing the RFTs!! :(
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 10:39   #208
Senior - BHPian

Your car clocked 3990 kms a few days ago. Im assuming youv easily crossed 4000kms by now. After reading your latest expressway dash review it struck upon me, i really need to preserve the Audi a bit....im quite sure your Beemer arrived substantially b4 my car and today, the Audi is already at 5900 odd kms
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:23   #209
BHPian

Wops! 20k for a tyre? ahem ahem...

@PlatzdaTurbo, ^^ Why you need to preserve your car? Arent they meant to drive?
ThE Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:36   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
wow ... after reading all this on space savers, if I was ever making a purchase decision in this segment, this whole RFT business may actually be a deciding factor in going for the competition. I wish BMW would just offer the customer the choice of picking RFTs or regular tubeless instead of forcing the RFTs!! :(
The major deciding factor in favour of BMW is the comprehensive BSI 5-year coverage. These RFT's are a non-issue, because on delivery you can easily replace them with high-end tubeless tyres at cost, and then ~20k for the space saver kit is a small addition that you can add to the cost of the car. Once you're done with all this, you can use your entry-level German with relative peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Your car clocked 3990 kms a few days ago. Im assuming youv easily crossed 4000kms by now. After reading your latest expressway dash review it struck upon me, i really need to preserve the Audi a bit....im quite sure your Beemer arrived substantially b4 my car and today, the Audi is already at 5900 odd kms
After the expressway trip it was at ~4500. Right now it's gone past 4800. When my dad uses it, there's no control on the kms. And this figure is much lower than it should be, because the chauffeur assigned to this car was on leave for a whole month till this week, so the car was hardly used. If it was used through that month as well, it would have been another 2000 km already.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th July 2010 at 11:40.