Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th October 2010, 13:03   #271
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra_slk View Post
Just to let you know, I'm getting 330i alloys painted black and 2010 xenon headlights fitted by end of this month. Will come with my car to mumbai
Aah so you finally did decide to keep the 320d instead of the C200 eh?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 14:49   #272
BHPian

Arrow

Flyingspur,

I started reading this thread and read all the pages as it was so engaging. You have rightly said it is a JOY. I really liked:

1) Clarity in thought on the decision criteria
2) Awesome pics
3) The ride quality & your tyre jugaad
4) The enthusiam and elation on getting the BMW, especially the fact that you went and clicked on the owners section link on BMW website

Honestly I have never owned or driven Merc/BMW's and always thought that Mercs were better but your post has convinced me about the 320d although I am far way off on buying this beauty so till then getting to know the segment better
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:30   #273
Team-BHP Support

My apologies for not updating. The car is close to 10 months old now, and has crossed 9,000 km and went in for it's first service three weeks back. As of now everything is alright, got the engine oil changed and whatever else they had on their list was done. The brake pedal had developed some squeaking, which was immediately rectified by them. Also, the left horn was starting to sound funny, they replaced that too. I didn't notice this funny sound, but they said it was defective and replaced it. Oh well.

I don't know how much this first service would have cost. Because I didn't bother to see the bill. I truly love BSI Just sent my car in with the driver and they popped the key into their system, sorted out whatever they had to, and sent the car back. That's it.

One peculiar problem is surfacing though. The driver side window's sunfilm is getting light scratches (from something within the door pads I think). They were opened up and cleaned, but I think it's still happening. Need to get this one minor hiccup sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Honestly I have never owned or driven Merc/BMW's and always thought that Mercs were better but your post has convinced me about the 320d although I am far way off on buying this beauty so till then getting to know the segment better
Thank you for your kind words, Carfanatic.

I'd like to say, I don't think one can clearly say that one is better than the other and vice versa. Although the lines are getting blurred, I still believe in the age old saying that BMW's are for the self-driving and Mercs are for the chauffeur-driven (let's leave the ///M and AMG bit out of the picture here). If the C-Class suits someone better, then no BMW 3-series is going to make sense for that buyer. It all comes down to individual taste. Our buying decision was largely influenced by various factors mentioned earlier in this thread like BSI, without which we might just have gone for the C despite my strong liking for the 3.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 2nd January 2011 at 21:12.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:13   #274
BHPian

Default Re: BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy

On my 320D CE, I'm facing the same problem. The 3M film on all the 4 windows is getting destroyed due to scratches. This is especially noticeable on the 2 front windows, probably cause these 2 windows are wound up-down the most. First I was thinking that the film is not sturdy enough even though it cost me almost 8000 and that too for just the sides. But after reading your post, it seems that the problem/flaw lies with the car and not the fiim. Please update as to how it pans out.
ackyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 10:43   #275
BHPian

Picked up a new 320D Corporate the other day. Well, its called "320D" as the "Corporate" moniker has been dropped for the basic version of the car.

I also have a 2010 320D CE to compare, hence my post.

Few major differences b/w the earlier 320D CE and the 2011 320D.

1. Steering (Sports steering wheel is now standard-feels nice and thick to hold) is now servotronic and quite light. Makes a lovely positive difference to the driving experience. BMW should have had the servotronic in the 3-series in the 1st place rather than introducing it in the car so late. I know several people who picked up C-class or A4 only because of the heavy steering in the earlier 3-series. Well, better late than never.

2. Bluetooth is now standard on the car. Paired up easily with my Nokia N97 Mini and stereo also showed the phonebook with easy scrolling, dialing etc from the steering control. This is a Rs. 60,000 plus option which now comes standard.

3. Rear seat arm rest and rear-side manual blinds have been added. But, the rear 12v sockets under the rear air-vent have been removed.

4. The increased bhp and torque from the engine. It does seem to make some difference in the pick-up, not that it was any less in the previous iteration of the car. But my car has less than 100kms on it, so too early to tell. Seems to be quiter too.

5. Externally, the trademark BMW external antenna on the roof is now gone. Feel that it somewhat lessens the character of the Bimmer, and BMW should not have removed it.

I'm also posting some images of the new 320D.

Ackyash
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-12012011062.jpg  

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-12012011064.jpg  

BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy-12012011066.jpg  

Last edited by ackyash : 13th January 2011 at 10:47. Reason: added
ackyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 11:12   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Picked up a new 320D Corporate the other day. Well, its called "320D" as the "Corporate" moniker has been dropped for the basic version of the car.
Congrats ackyash! How come the second one?

Quote:
1. Steering (Sports steering wheel is now standard-feels nice and thick to hold) is now servotronic and quite light.
I would have liked this.

Quote:
2. Bluetooth is now standard on the car.
Doesn't bother me, won't be missed.

Quote:
3. Rear seat arm rest and rear-side manual blinds have been added.
DAMN IT !! I want.

Quote:
4. The increased bhp and torque from the engine.
Sweet. Think I need to go for a TD.

Quote:
5. Externally, the trademark BMW external antenna on the roof is now gone.
Blasphemy. I LOVE the shark fin antenna. Are you sure they've excluded it? Or did they forget to put one onto your car
Old 29th January 2011, 19:01   #277
Team-BHP Support

@ackyash congrats dude! Can you tell us what the ex showroom price of the new 320d is? The CE was 23.95 IIRC.

@Flyingspur- I got my Vento AT finally dude. Hope to see you on the ownership thread LOL. Funny thing is I am observing the scratchy sunfilm problem you and ackyash mentioned (I have optional VW premium film). Wondering if it a German thing!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 00:19   #278
Team-BHP Support

Noopster, congratulations on your Vento AT !! Very good car, drove it just a couple of days back. Apart from the lack of USB/AUX, I found it to be a formidable player for its segment.
Old 14th February 2011, 00:23   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
Thanks. Will speak to the dealer about the tyres.
Even if the dealer doesn't agree, don't worry about it too much. I see your location as Mumbai. Go to Premji Tyres at L.J. Road (Mahim) on the day of delivery or the next (the key is to use your RFTs as little as possible) and he will most likely swap your tyres for Conti CPC2 at cost, meaning not a rupee extra.

Quote:
I am in fact going to TD the A4 tomorrow for the very reasons which you have mentioned and all the great reviews the A4 has received on this forum.
To be honest, the 2.0 TDI is quite blah to drive, is what I've heard. Suggesting it to you only because it's a newer car. It lacks the punch of the 2.0d of the BMW.

Quote:
I would be driving not more than 10k kms/yr. Does it make sense to get the 5yr/60k BSI for about 2Lacs. The sales rep mentioned that with that kind of driving, not getting the BSI may actually be cheaper.
He may have a point, you might not service your car that often. Maybe once a year. My car stands at ~12,500 km and I've already had one at about 9,000 km, with the next one indicated at about 18k according to the OBD. The best person for your BSI related queries would be member Sahil, who has a 525d running with the (5y/100k) BSI for almost three years now, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, it's been a long time, so here's one from yesterday.

Name:  DSC00289 Medium.JPG
Views: 2073
Size:  94.4 KB

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th February 2011 at 00:29.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:33   #280
BHPian

hi guys
can anyone pls explain how to programme or use the speak button ( right top corner of the cluster of 4 buttons) on the left side of the steering wheel. Unfortunately could not find any details in the owners manual.
thanking you in advance.
regards
zipzapzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 12:45   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzapzoom View Post
hi guys
can anyone pls explain how to programme or use the speak button ( right top corner of the cluster of 4 buttons) on the left side of the steering wheel. Unfortunately could not find any details in the owners manual.
thanking you in advance.
regards
Its fairly simple, you press it and the lady speaks up. After which you can tell her your wish and it's her command Jokes apart, you can use it for voice dialing, music changes (for example say CD 1 track 12),etc

However if you press the button speak bottom and there is no lady talking back then your car doesn't have the features activated. My 520d and 525d have the same steering but the latter does not have the voice command feature hence the button remains inactive.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 15:16   #282
Team-BHP Support

I'm quite sure the CE does not have the voice activation feature incorporated. So if you're lady ain't talking back to you, she's probably not there in the first place At least, this button in my vehicle does nothing. Maybe MY2011 has the feature since bluetooth and a couple other things are now part of standard equipment.
Old 14th April 2011, 16:02   #283
Team-BHP Support

^^ I hear that's a feature specially for the Indian market because our men don't like to hear a woman talk back at them.

Nice to see you posting again, @flyingspur. What's that minara like thing in the background of your pic?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 17:22   #284
Team-BHP Support

Noopster, this particular picture has been clicked in an airfield so the tower in the background is a control tower. Mumbai residents will be familiar with the location. Had gone there for an automotive event around the time I posted the pic. I think another shoot is due, but the car is currently sporting a very negligible battle scar from a parking mishap But no worries, that will be touched up with the next polish which is actually overdue now. Time to head for the Directory!
Old 21st May 2011, 11:39   #285
Team-BHP Support

So it's time for an update. For some reason the car showed the service light again. The first time was at ~9,000 km and now again, seems a little too soon. Generally it is supposed to be every 15,000 km. At 16,400 km another service has been carried out at the Infinity workshop @ Worli. I was quite shocked to hear that I don't get any papers because my vehicle is covered under BSI. I don't know about you guys, but if a screw is tightened on my car, I'd like to know about it and have it on paper.

So a phone call and a long'ish conversation with the BMW rep = I'm now getting a copy of the document which enlists all the work done on my car as part of the first service. This document is generally sent to the BMW office (at least that's what it says) and I've insisted on getting a copy for every instance that my car is at the workshop, obviously. It's just the way I believe records are supposed to be kept.

Problems : I still haven't gotten around to resolving the sunfilm trouble, and it's high time now. There's a small vibrating noise from the boot, and some packing has ensured that it's gone at least for now. Hope it doesn't come back.

Exterior : Parking misjudgment = bumper gets scratched. Estimate is about 13k, haven't acted upon that yet because TAT was 3-4 days and I needed the car back asap. Else, the car is running fabulously and I'm still enjoying the punch of the 2.0d every time I step into the car. FE is hovering between 8-9 kmpl with 90% of bumper-to-bumper traffic with full AC. I like, and I mind not. Show the 320d an open road and even if you're having fun, you will still manage double digit figures with effortless ease. Thank myself every day for having made the switch to the Conti CPC2. It's not a magic carpet ride, but it's wayyyyyyy better than RFTs. I've started to notice, though, the damn things are quite noisy on concrete !

Work done on the car : New filters, complete oil change and a summer / monsoon check up which was complimentary. Total damages = ~18k INR. Of course, didn't have to pay anything because of BSI+R active on my vehicle. I like how this works, but a customer will really start reaping the benefits of these plans beginning 3rd year of ownership, I guess.

I've noticed the 320i also sports the same alloys as the 320d now. Damn. I liked the fact that these rims weren't too common even with the CE selling impressive numbers.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st May 2011 at 11:45.