Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th April 2012, 09:05   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
No other cases that I'm aware of. Although ajmat's post above indicates that these things do occur here and there.
This is the post which I mentioned earlier. In this case, the peeling off was from the door handles.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2500381 (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review)
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 09:54   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
I very much disagree with you. I have driven Indian, Italian, American, Korean, Japanese cars but nothing comes close to german engg. I agree there may be a few issues but the overall package overshadows that!!
I don't fully agree. Japanese cars especially Toyota (and Lexus) are at the absolute top of most customer satisfaction and reliability surveys. There is no going around that. In my experience Japanese cars have the best reliability out of any major automobile making country. The Germans are second and the rest come after that. I don't want to but Mercs are consistently at the middle or end of most reliability surveys. This is just my opinion.
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:49   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
I don't fully agree. Japanese cars especially Toyota (and Lexus) are at the absolute top of most customer satisfaction and reliability surveys. There is no going around that. In my experience Japanese cars have the best reliability out of any major automobile making country. The Germans are second and the rest come after that. I don't want to but Mercs are consistently at the middle or end of most reliability surveys. This is just my opinion.

Tafeta white Honda Civic 1.8s ,the very first lot to arrive on our shores in summer 2006 - I happen to have a car from that very lot and now after a little more than 6 years i have had ZERO ...i repeat ,ZERO problems.
76k and counting , shes just goes on and on with no electronic ,mechanical failures whatsoever. Sheer peace of mind and driving pleasure too, with a car like the civic. Just got the bumpers repainted and she looks brand new.

Another example is FlyingSpur's gen I Corolla. IIRC a 05' model and at more than 1,70,000kms she keeps running relentlessly. Impressive in our driving conditions really.

Having said that, my Audi has given me no issues whatsoever (touchwood! x 100) but its just been 2 years and 35k so long term reliability remains to be seen. So far, futures bright !

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 26th April 2012 at 11:51.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 12:17   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post

Tafeta white Honda Civic 1.8s ,the very first lot to arrive on our shores in summer 2006 - I happen to have a car from that very lot and now after a little more than 6 years i have had ZERO ...i repeat ,ZERO problems.
76k and counting , shes just goes on and on with no electronic ,mechanical failures whatsoever. Sheer peace of mind and driving pleasure too, with a car like the civic. Just got the bumpers repainted and she looks brand new.

Another example is FlyingSpur's gen I Corolla. IIRC a 05' model and at more than 1,70,000kms she keeps running relentlessly. Impressive in our driving conditions really.

Having said that, my Audi has given me no issues whatsoever (touchwood! x 100) but its just been 2 years and 35k so long term reliability remains to be seen. So far, futures bright !
Agreed. Japanese cars are simply incredible in their reliability. That's what the nation is known for. I have had Japanese cars in the past and they are simply bulletproof. Best of all the service costs are not too extravagant either.
Good to hear about your Audi bro.
Zkalra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 05:37   #320
BHPian

amazing ownership thread
Does BSI cover all wear & tear parts? what if you didn't have BSI, would they still change your panel under normal warranty?

Thanks..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 09:15   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
amazing ownership thread
Does BSI cover all wear & tear parts? what if you didn't have BSI, would they still change your panel under normal warranty?
Thank you. And yes, the panel would still be changed under warranty.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 13:18   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Thank you. And yes, the panel would still be changed under warranty.
Thats good, surprised to see such an issue in a bmw, How long is the standard warranty for? if you don't take bsi.

Thanks..

Last edited by Berj79 : 5th May 2012 at 13:23.
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 09:34   #323
BHPian

Read through all the pages. Great ownership report. If the photo shoot is happening anytime this weekend, let me get my equipment too, a couple of more angles may not be so bad.

Is a manual 320d available? I think what is dislike is the continuous engine note that comes in with an automatic/tiptronic. May be wrong.

With surprising part failure issues, the BSI seems like a must have. In the first year, a lot of self doubt is bound to happen because of the extra 3 lakhs locked in for 5 years, but at least the stress is removed from then on. We assume that price and quality go hand in hand, but lemons can be manufactured anywhere.
Automaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 16:38   #324
Team-BHP Support

Another major component has been replaced under BSI. This time, it's the horn assembly in the steering wheel. Over the last 2-3 months, one had to really press the horn hard for it to sound off. Especially on the left side. Quite strange, on diagnosis it was found that the horn assembly had worn off and would have to be replaced. Since the airbag was part of this assembly, the entire component would have to be replaced.

The part took about 10-12 days to arrive from Germany. The replacement job itself was about half a day, with the car going in early morning and returning back by about 4:00 pm. Also, my right horn failed for the first time, and was also replaced. Usually it is the left one that gives up periodically, and has been changed about 5-6 times till date.

Don't know the damages, but I wouldn't expect a horn pad + airbag assembly to be reasonable by any means. It was covered under BSI, but I would expect it to cost well into five figures. New component works beautifully, the horn sensitivity is back to absolutely new.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:55   #325
BHPian

@Flyingspur, come to think of it, your ownership report is a scary one. Repeated failures of the parts is very strange. Not heard of from premium brands, especially since it's serviced and cared for at the dealer and the replacement parts are not fitted from just about any place.

What do other Bimmer owners think? Is this normal?

After paying an arm and a leg for these vehicles should there even be a reason for a concept like BSI to exist? Goes against the grain somehow. German marque, legendary engineering and build quality?
Old 13th June 2012, 21:28   #326
Team-BHP Support

I still absolutely love my car, and it is nothing that a Superb or an A4 or a C-Class could have offered. One has to be very clear in the head, that's all. If you're stepping into this segment, you need to be covered for the entire ownership period as far as possible. Today, because I have BSI, I do not care much for these things, it is a matter of simply sending the car in and getting the job done. If, OTOH, I had to pay for all these replacements, the car would have been replaced within the next few months. If one is expecting these cars to be so perfect that they will easily weather Indian driving conditions (especially over 20k urban kms a year) then sorry to burst the bubble but they are neither designed nor developed for our roads. At best, they may be partially prepared to adapt to the chaos and survive.

Another thing, I keep this thread as up to date as possible, and try to report everything that happens, because I think it will help someone and provide a clear picture behind the pearly gates. We have seen some 3-series threads fizzle out since they aren't updated regularly, which is not of much use to potential car buyers. Maybe in my quest to create something useful, I am reporting every speck of dust that sits on the car.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th June 2012 at 21:31.
FlyingSpur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 21:55   #327
BHPian

HORN OK PLEASE!

Well, while I absolutely love the brand, and given an opportunity will jump at one of them too, what I mean is, not just BMW, most cars on Indian roads aren't exactly designed for the subcontinent. Yet they still perform the daily-driver role admirably well.

They are not global platforms, but all C+, and D segment cars get sold all over the world, facing really trying conditions, in pretty much the same specs. Engine options, trim change, the rest is as designed. We aren't talking super cars and their special needs.

My assumption when one plumps Rs 30 Lakh for a car? The premium segment is expected to use premium quality material, that is designed, tested and that should work better and last longer. Horns can go kaput, not once, twice, but 7 times? The printing on the console getting smudged? Now the entire pad?

It's irritating to send the car to the workshop for recurring problems. And for someone paying that kind of money, the downtime on the car that is supposed to be trouble free for at least three-four years, is a really expensive proposition.

At that price point, in India we are inconveniencing people whose time really means money. Abroad a 3 Series is still within reach of a lot many mid level executives, not to say that they can afford the wasted time.

Your comprehensive report is an eye opener. But like you say, if a few more people share their experiences and report the niggles, it will be a much clearer picture.

Last edited by Automaton : 13th June 2012 at 22:15.
Old 8th July 2012, 16:09   #328
Team-BHP Support

We have crossed 41,000 km and a scenic drive to Lonavala and back in the monsoons was befitting !!

Name:  DSC02783 Medium.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  99.4 KB
FlyingSpur is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 16:25   #329
BHPian

You're back after galavanting across red meat country? And I can see you've gone offroading a bit.
By the way, no reply yet from the 5 series owner. In despair I drove two automatic A4s, boo hoo. And that just helped reaffirm what I want
Old 18th July 2012, 17:11   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
You're back after galavanting across red meat country? And I can see you've gone offroading a bit.
Yes, very much back was meant to be a quick official trip.

Quote:
By the way, no reply yet from the 5 series owner. In despair I drove two automatic A4s, boo hoo. And that just helped reaffirm what I want
That makes no sense at all. You would never enjoy any Audis. Certainly not the ones you'd find in our used car market. Any movement on the 5?