Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th March 2011, 10:04   #31

Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - Running Report EDIT - 1 year 22600 Update

Hi Guys, I recently took a test drive of xylo and felt a few thing that i want to confirm from the owners.

There was a grounding noise from the engine at higher RPM (2500 - 3000)
There was a noise from the door and a little vibration in the gear liver.

Otherwise the ride was good. The sales representative told me the problems are in the demo car as the car was an older model Euro-3.

Please suggest a MUV: I am confused between a Innova and Xylo. I need a family car and at least AC in the last row but this comes in Innova GX which costs approx Rs. 12 lakhs on road.

With Xylo i am not that confident of the reliability as i travel with my family often to small towns of himachal, uttar pradesh, punjab etc.

Please suggest...a good list of advantages and dis-advantages for the xylo would help. Innova i m confident and the only factor is the price.
rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 10:35   #32
BANNED

I suggest you look at the Xylo e8 with abs and airbags. if possible, go for another test drive and ask them to give you a newer model so that you can make your decision. The xylo is a real VFM MUV whereas the innova is a lot more expensive than the xylo and provides lesser features. You wont get Airbags in the GX variant which are a must.

The Xylo is a reliable vehicle, no doubt. As you said, you want a comfortable people mover for your family. The xylo can beat any other vehicle in terms of comfort. The thirs row of the innova feels cramped whereas the xylo has a lot of space.
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 16:03   #33

Thumbs up Re: Mahindra Xylo - Running Report EDIT - 19 months 31,000kms Update

Hello Guys,

I apologize for the long pause on my reply to any of the queries. Its been a splendid experience of owning Xylo... Just always feel like getting on the drivers seat whenever I feel like... Only a few trips in b/w my last post to this one.. Just getting back into my bullet rides

2 trips to BR Hills
1 to Madikeri/mandalpatti

Absolutely no niggles/complaints so far. The oil change is done once every 15000kms. But M&M suggests a visit to service centre every 5k kms. I currently getting it checked/serviced once every 7.5k kms and oil change at 15k kms. Did a complete engine de-carb at 27.5k kms and now its really zippy. As far as mileage goes, city 10~11kmpl (50% AC on) and 12~13kmpl with 5 ppl (50% AC on).
gautham.mg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 18:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw a 2009 Xylo's evaporator coil which was detected to be leaking from within the fins at three places .

the coil looks pretty similar to the Corolla's, save for a few cms difference in dimensions and pretty low on quality ; the replacement part comes with the exp valve and approx 15cms length of inlet and outlet pipes - all for 6.5k.

This car had its cabin air filter in place,yet the coil was all fouled up
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 19:05   #35
BHPian

My Xylo has run about 20K in 18 months of ownership. Over the last few months, I have been facing this weird problem of the rear brakes locking up prior to front ones - only when in cold condition. Pumping the brakes a few times reduces this to great extent. I am planning to get it checked over the weekend - could be some issue with the LSP valve.

Any other owners faced this issue?
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 11:29   #36
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Guess a few complaints are across the board in XYLO's....I own an E4 since Oct '09...33000kms on the ODO as yet. Been to Jaisalmer and across Rajasthan in Feb '10, Kanyakumari and Kerala in Dec '10 and finally to Ladakh through Srinagar and back through Manali in August '11 apart from short trips to Goa, Karwar, Jog falls, Kolhapur, Kaas etc etc all from my base in Mumbai.

Mileage was around 12kmpl on the Ladakh trip...but then the speeds were high on the plains and the climb was steep in the mountains, so cant really blame the car here.

Apart from regular servicing, the only recurring niggles I face are
a) Vibrating door noise
b) Driver seat noise
c) Headlights and in-cabin lights..have changed some of them thrice.

Thats that...so all in all an amazing ownership experience.

Regards,

Last edited by nix1976in : 21st September 2011 at 11:33.
nix1976in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 12:19   #37
BHPian

^^^ Amazing. With a similar age Xylo E4 (Oct 09), I am halfway in terms of the odo reading.
The best mileage I've ever obtained is 12 something but then in the Xylo which is in it's element around the 100 kmph mark, something's gotta give, right?
Old 23rd September 2011, 21:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
My Xylo has run about 20K in 18 months of ownership. Over the last few months, I have been facing this weird problem of the rear brakes locking up prior to front ones - only when in cold condition. Pumping the brakes a few times reduces this to great extent. I am planning to get it checked over the weekend - could be some issue with the LSP valve.

My E6 purchased in end-June'10, in a year driven ~25K KM; wherein Rajasthan trip was longest 2700 KM during Nov'10. Currently, ODO at ~31K KM.

This monsoon, after running the vehicle in rains & some water logged areas, next morning had this issue of brakes locking. But it got solved by itself within few KMs of driving & braking.

I wouldn't be in position to comment on your braking issue, but some info from my side. Once, during a full wash at a small time washing station, casually glancing the underneath, found a cloth tied in the LSPV slot (where the nut goes) with the spring freely handing ! Read, it was not stuck, but actually tied - reason/source unknown. At the next visit itself, on my pointing, a technician got a nut fixed, free (even telling that its hard to get just the nut !?).
I noticed and also discussed with technician, at the workshop, when they lift the vehicle on the hydraulic stand, first they disconnect the nut (spring hanging freely) to avoid any damage to LSPV system during the works. Ensure that its again put back and not forgotten!
A Sr.Technician briefed me: in some cases, the nut has to be adjusted in the slot as per load setting.

Last week at the workshop, even saw a Scorpio with such cloth handing!

I found some LSPV discussion (& pic) at : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2303952 (Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Hi Guys,

Guess a few complaints are across the board in XYLO's....I own an E4 since Oct '09...33000kms on the ODO as yet. Been to Jaisalmer and across Rajasthan in Feb '10, Kanyakumari and Kerala in Dec '10 and finally to Ladakh through Srinagar and back through Manali in August '11 apart from short trips to Goa, Karwar, Jog falls, Kolhapur, Kaas etc etc all from my base in Mumbai.

Mileage was around 12kmpl on the Ladakh trip...but then the speeds were high on the plains and the climb was steep in the mountains, so cant really blame the car here.

Apart from regular servicing, the only recurring niggles I face are
a) Vibrating door noise
b) Driver seat noise
c) Headlights and in-cabin lights..have changed some of them thrice.

Thats that...so all in all an amazing ownership experience.

Regards,
I agree with your point (a) - workshop guys grease which lasts for few days! Got my driver seat replaced under warranty since it was making too much noise, bit mis-aligned & torn fabric. Greasing & WD40 keeps the seat channel's squeaking shut for some time. Had got my Right HL changed under warranty, wherein the HL-Leveller motor was not working. Can you elaborate on your issues with point (c).

OT: Nikhil, if you remember, I had exchanged some initial post for the Ladakh planning, but I couldnt do this year. Hope you had a blast - link to your TL ?

Quote:
^^^ Amazing. With a similar age Xylo E4 (Oct 09), I am halfway in terms of the odo reading.
The best mileage I've ever obtained is 12 something but then in the Xylo which is in it's element around the 100 kmph mark, something's gotta give, right?
do you mean 12 on even highway drives ~100 speed ?
on my daily drive to office & back 70 kms, literally heavy traffic on western express highway of Mumbai, 90% AC, I still get ~10/+.

One of my friend, purchased 2 months prior to me, following partial route of mine, initially had FE issues ~9 and followed-up at the workshop few times. They kinda rectified to a better FE ~11.

To give a dated example, during my RJ trip, overall FE was 16.5; wherein vehicle was fully loaded (passengers & luggage on carrier), had some very bad patch of roads extending till long, speeds wherever possible were 100 - 120.

You may want to have a checkup done. Do feel free to PM if required to discuss.

Friends, its high-time we have a single dedicated thread for Xylo owners to share & discuss, leaving side the ownership or review threads.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 11:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Over the last few months, I have been facing this weird problem of the rear brakes locking up prior to front ones - only when in cold condition. Pumping the brakes a few times reduces this to great extent. I am planning to get it checked over the weekend - could be some issue with the LSP valve.

and it was not the LSP valve. I got this checked last friday and the problem was diagnosed as hard rear brake liners. Apparently, the clearance is a few mm between the liners and the drum. During cold condition, the liners do not get 100% release on pumping action which causes the brakes to lock. The service advisor was confident (and rightly so) when he said replacing the liners would solve the problem. No issues faced when I drove the Xylo over the weekend. The liners were replaced FOC in warranty.

Quote:
Per the advisor, one should get at least 12+ on highway driving. During the last servicing, incorrect grade oil was used. Read about it here (Xylo Servicing Woes in Pune - Be careful of Milestone Workshop) and I am thinking this might have been the case for all the previous oil changes resulting in lesser FE. During the brake checkup, the oil was also changed (FOC) and I can feel a very clear difference in vehicle behavior. The engine runs more freely and the response in 2nd and 3rd gear is amazing. Will see how the FE turns out after about 500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Friends, its high-time we have a single dedicated thread for Xylo owners to share & discuss, leaving side the ownership or review threads.
I agree! I'd shared some interesting observation here (Mahindra Xylo : Odometer showing distance traveled with air-conditioner) and maybe it could be used to share user experiences.
Old 26th September 2011, 15:25   #40

Default Re: Mahindra Xylo - Running Report EDIT - 2 years 37500 Update

I wanted to give an update on the completetion of 2 years with my Xylo E8 ABS (java brown). As such it has been a great journey with the Xylo travelling far and wide and sometimes to the same places 4-5 times with different groups. If you love to travel in large groups (5 and above) nothing would suit you more.

Listing down a few +ss and -ss of i faced with xylo after 37000 kms. More on the maintenance and problems would be detailed later.

+sss after 2 yrs:
> Great comfort in driving, also for the co-passengers. All other cars in the group are now limited to city travel. If its highway it has to be the Xylo way!!

> Good fuel efficiency of 11kmpl in city, upto 14 on highways (Depends on the no of ppl in the car)

> *** is excellent and prompt (SKS, Bannerghatta Rd, Bangalore). Oil change once every 15000kms. M&M recommends visit to service centre every 5000 kms which I skip and take it once between 15000kms (@ 7500kms after each service)

> ABS in xylo works wonders.. I have used it many times with great confidence. My top speed upto now is 174 kmph

> Amazing memories with family/friends travelling together. This one point would be cherished for ever and hence Xylo would be evergreen in my mind.

-sss after 2 years:

> Too many parts replaced under warranty

> Your ride quality goes awry if you have the wrong tire pressure. My analysis For 2-3 ppl have 35psi on all 4 tyres, for 4-5 ppl 35 front and 38psi rear, for 6-8 have 35 front and 41 rear. Do remenber to change the same when you are back from a trip!!

> Lots off niggles and petty issues with interiors (Its more like owning a bullet and I am used to this as I have one)

More to come in a few days....
gautham.mg is online now   Reply With Quote