Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th March 2010, 14:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
Yes i too mentioned the same in my previous reply about the tyre wear and tear because of the torquey CRDI. But the tyre life and Brake pad life of optra compared to Verna is better. My cousin's optra has done 50,000 Kms and it is still going good. Tyre lasted 40000 Kms for the Optra. But it costs more than a lakh rupees and it is not fair to compare it with verna. But Verna almost catches the Optra in the engine department.
I agree, it also depends upon driver & the road conditions. Magnum brakes pads have given up at 20K for few of our forum members as well.

The tire alignment in magnum is different issue altogether. This leads to unnecessary tire wear.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 16:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
A verna turbo costs Rs. 60K and their is no possiblities for repairing a turbo charger? If their is a minor mistake, one have to pay Rs. 60K instently!!
Turbo as such can be repaired, one such case was Leelakrishnan 7 times national rally champion fixed his Porsche turbo with a small lathe work, but it was possible for a man who knows in and out about automobiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I agree, it also depends upon driver & the road conditions. Magnum brakes pads have given up at 20K for few of our forum members as well.
The tire alignment in magnum is different issue altogether. This leads to unnecessary tire wear.
Yeah Tyre alignment was an issue in the Optra the dealer was not able to set proper alignment for the vehicle which was corrected by Sundar Tyres Madurai.
pjegadeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 16:23   #18
BHPian

Hyundai offers 3rd year extended warranty for the verna diesel. Why didnt you take that? Or is the 3rd year limit 80000km?
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 17:11   #19
BHPian

@pjegadeesh:

Thank so much for your review. I own a 2.1 year old Verna and was looking to see reviews from owners keeping the car for more than 3 years.

You really had a terrible experience with Susee Hyundai.

I was gaga about my Verna, when about 1 month ago, a little while after I parked my car I found the engine coolant all over the floor. We took it to the Service Center in Bangalore and later the advisor told me that the radiator shell had broken at one place, thus leaking the coolant, and hence the radiator needed to be replaced. I was surprised because there was no external damage to the radiator at all.

We could not figure out how the shell could have broken and the service advisor was surprised himself. Luckily I had taken the extended warranty and got the radiator replaced for free and the car is fine.

But this incident has certainly brought down my confidence in the car. Reading your review as well kind of makes me re-think about the longevity of the car.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 12th March 2010 at 17:19.
diffsoft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 18:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Hyundai offers 3rd year extended warranty for the verna diesel. Why didnt you take that? Or is the 3rd year limit 80000km?
I travel a lot and thought that 2 years unlimited is enough for me. Usually i do 35,000 Kms/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
@pjegadeesh:
But this incident has certainly brought down my confidence in the car. Reading your review as well kind of makes me re-think about the longevity of the car.
Cheers,
Hyundai cars are not that reliable but it depends, i was in USA from 1999-2002 and no one had respect for Hyundai cars and there were hardly any takers of it but with various warranties and schemes they have captured good chunk of market share. But i was wondering how they manage to sustain if they are unreliable may be they make better cars for US market.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have a different kinda luck - Accent CRDi doing good for close to 1.5 lacs, while the Verna troubling you at half that. I strongly suspect the dealership as one of the catalysts for your problems, as many Hyundai Diesels that came after the 3-pot in Accent have proved fairly reliable and have seen lakhs of KM...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 22:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
You seem to have a different kinda luck - Accent CRDi doing good for close to 1.5 lacs, while the Verna troubling you at half that. I strongly suspect the dealership as one of the catalysts for your problems, as many Hyundai Diesels that came after the 3-pot in Accent have proved fairly reliable and have seen lakhs of KM...
May be ill luck or what else to say, the hyundai service engineer told me some vehicles do come with defective turbos and he regretted for what happened, but what to say if they replaced the turbo thrice and still they were not able to rectify the problem. They screwed my timing chain while analyzing the mistake, i advised the guy who purchased my Verna to take it to Hyundai Plaza the factory service outlet so that the Hyundai service engineers will be able to sort out the problem instead of some under trained Hyundai dealership mechanics
Old 13th March 2010, 10:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
May be ill luck or what else to say, the hyundai service engineer told me some vehicles do come with defective turbos and he regretted for what happened, but what to say if they replaced the turbo thrice and still they were not able to rectify the problem. They screwed my timing chain while analyzing the mistake, i advised the guy who purchased my Verna to take it to Hyundai Plaza the factory service outlet so that the Hyundai service engineers will be able to sort out the problem instead of some under trained Hyundai dealership mechanics
I feel its not a turbo problem. There is some other thing i.e is contributing to the noise and it is blamed on the turbo in spite of changing the turbo thrice. SA are at lazy to sort out the problem.
Smell something fishy.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 11:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

A friends Verna's turbo conked today at 21,000 km. Fortunately, he's covered under extended warranty. He used to maintain his car well and not rip off and drive it.

The SA told him that quite a few cases of TC failure on the Verna keep coming.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 1st August 2010 at 11:21.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 14:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
A friends Verna's turbo conked today at 21,000 km. Fortunately, he's covered under extended warranty. He used to maintain his car well and not rip off and drive it.

The SA told him that quite a few cases of TC failure on the Verna keep coming.
That is quite shocking! How old is the car? I thought the thread-starter's experience was a one-off case. I've even read of engine trouble in Accent CRDIs on this forum.

This is quite a deterrant to prospective buyers.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 14:46   #26
BHPian

Aren't blown turbos normally caused by an oil leak? Perhaps the issue was with the sealing mechanism of the turbo charger and not the turbo itself? Aren't piston rings normally used as seals? (correct me if I am wrong).

Also you did mention that your friend maintained it well by not ripping. I think it was also put up somewhere (I think on tbhp itself on some thread), that excessive lagging of the turbo, and driving beneath the turbo zone can also result in a blown turbo charger. Its always good to maintain the car in the power band, starts at around 1800rpm for the verna, and the occasional rip always makes sure your turbocharger is hale and hearty.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 1st August 2010 at 14:49.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 19:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Car's less than 2.5 yrs old. The cost is around 60 K for the VGT, plus labor, VAT, comes to around 80-90K. So if you're out of warranty, you're in trouble.

My friend used to drive it mostly around 2000 rpm in the city, 2,500 rpm on the highways ( in the appropriate gears). There was no excessive lagging of the turbo.

I keep hearing more TC failures in the swift/verna. Comparatively, turbo failure in Fiestas are far less ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 1st August 2010 at 19:38.
Old 1st August 2010, 19:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hope he didn't overfill the engine oil.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 19:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Car's less than 2.5 yrs old. The cost is around 60 K for the VGT, plus labor, VAT, comes to around 80-90K. So if you're out of warranty, you're in trouble.

My friend used to drive it mostly around 2000 rpm in the city, 2,500 rpm on the highways ( in the appropriate gears). There was no excessive lagging of the turbo.

I keep hearing more TC failures in the swift/verna. Comparatively, turbo failure in Fiestas are far less ?
Gosh, he was lucky. What is the duration of original and EW for a Verna? It is 2+2 years for a Fiesta.

I am not sure about TC failures in the TDCI Fiesta, as I own a petrol one. I too had a couple of issues---the AC fan motor failing last year and my rear window regulator not working smoothly this year. Both were replaced free under E.W.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 20:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

He used to take the usual precautions like idling the engine at startup/shutdown and so on.

Engine oil overfilling - well can't do much about it since the ASC did that. Anyways he should have a more detailed report from the ASC soon on the probable cause of failure.

Hyundai provides 2 yrs std warranty on the verna crdi. 1 yr EW is available as an option, that my friend took. Compare that to other cars in the market that usually have a 2yr EW as an option. Even the petrol verna has a longer EW. It's possibly due to the failure and cost combinations that hyundai does not offer a longer EW on the verna crdi.

Does the i20 come with a longer EW ?