Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th March 2010, 16:04   #1
BHPian

Default Hyundai Verna CRDI ABS -80,000 kms report (Is it worth the Hype)

Hyundai Verna CRDI ABS model excited everyone including myself when it was launched but has it lived up to the expectations let me give my ownership experience, I have driven it 80,000 Kms from March-2007 to February-2010 and finally decided to say good bye to it. Here is my detailed analysis of it,

1) Service done every 10,000 Kms at Susee Hyundai Madurai.
2) Brake pads changed at 22,000 Kms, 50,000 Kms & 78,000 Kms
3) Brake rotor rear changed at 78,000 Kms
4) Tires changed at 22,000 Kms to upsize 195 60 R14 MRF, then at 57,000 Kms changed to Michelan 195 60 R14 which had rubber to last till 90,000 Kms
5) TURBO changed at 71,000 Kms
6) Clutch is hard, clutch problem started and bleeding done at 78,000 Kms - Approximate cost - Rs. 15,000. But decided to sell the car instead of spending money to fix it.
7) Sold the car at - 80,000 Kms for Rs. 4,15,000/=

Total Service cost (Including Turbo) - Rs. 1,08,000
Tyre Cost - Rs. 29,000
Loss on Vehicle sale - Rs. 4,40,000
Insurance - Rs. 65,000
Fuel cost @ 14.5 Kmpl - Rs. 1,90,000
Total cost of ownership - Rs. 8,33,000
Expenditure per Km - Rs. 10.41 (Quite high)

Pros of the car:
1) The CRDI engine is really superb and torque is unbeatable.
2) The drive in highways is effortless and is driver friendly.
3) Very good fuel economy for such a power, never gave mileage below 12 kmpl and my overall mileage for 80,000 Kms which includes drag racing & hills driving of around 30,000 Kms. The overall average fuel economy was 14.5 Kmpl

Cons of the car
1) The ride is bumpy and even some of the SUV's and MUV's give better ride compared to the Verna.
2) Brake pads, Tire Life, Clutch life Reliability is an issue but still it is not a Toyota itís Korean and have to live with it.
3) Worst A.S.S provided by Susee Hyundai or Hyundai Read my A.S.S Experience below,

The Turbo went Kaput at 71,000 Kms when I was traveling with my kid and I recognized the fault correctly and called the dealership and the good part was they arrived within an hour though I was 30 Kms away from the service station. Hyundai A.S.S which is supposed to be the best was pathetic in my case. The mechanic in the service station examined the car and said that the noise was timing chain noise and not from the turbo. Then I told him if it was timing chain it should be heard while idling, but the noise comes after the engine crosses 2000 RPM, also the power output has completely reduced and hence he finally agreed with me.

Then came the worse part the warranty of 2 years unlimited KMS has expired so I need to pay for the TURBO. I used to start and wait for a minute before moving the car and also wait for a minute idling before shutting of the engine as per the instructions of the Hyundai people but still the TURBO was gone and they blamed me for it Rs. 60,000 was no joke. I use to do this since 1980ís to all the cars for improving the engine life.

Susee Hyundai Madurai was asking 15% extra for courier charges for the parts(Turbo) to be shipped from chennai to Madurai if it is to be replaced in two days. It means approximately Rs. 7,500 towards courier charges for the TURBO to be replaced in 2 days. Or else they told they will receive the spares only after 7 working days. I fired at them for this but in vain and the turbo was replaced after 12 days.

The car was delivered with some unusual noise from the Turbo after it opens at 1800-2000 RPM, which was said to be normal by the Susee Hyundai service guys. Although I knew something was wrong, they convinced me to take delivery stating a warranty was available for 10,000 Kms.

Then the noise increased and two more visits to Susee Hyundai, each time they said warranty was valid and asked me to wait. But when the car had done almost 9000 kms after the Turbo change I decided not to take risk and insisted on checking the Turbo, finally they accepted that this was a problem from the Turbo but they need prior approval of Hyundai service engineer to change the turbo under warranty.

Since this process will take time they entered my car as under observation and asked me to take my car as they don't have space for my car to be parked idle until the Hyundai service engineer turns up. It was almost a month and no call and the car was kept idle worrying the warranty for the Turbo might expire.

Finally called Hyundai service department directly demanding for their service engineer to inspect the car at any location they want me to bring I told them I was ready to bring it to chennai which was 500 Kms away. They took up the issue and promised for quick response.

Finally got a call from Susee to bring my car in and they changed the Turbo and asked me to take delivery after 10 days. In the meanwhile Hyundai engineer after checking called me and insisted on every 5000 Kms service saying indain driving conditions demanded it though their company recommends 10,000 kms oil change. When i went to take delivery susee service manager told me that timing chain needs to be changed in the near future which was fine before entering the service station and the car has done just 79,500 kms only. When I took the car and entered the motorway i heard some unusual noises once the turbo opened. So called the Susee Service manager there was some new screeching sound coming when the turbo opens he repeated the old story that I have turbo warranty for 10,000 Kms and not to worry, but I refused to take the vehicle and returned the car at 7:45 PM.

Then after follow up my car was delivered after 10 days with the a new Turbo changed for the third time, I insisted on knowing the reason for frequent turbo problems and requested them to give a proper reply whether it was due to defective Turbo or wrong fitment but got some vague answers. When I took the delivery the noise in the Turbo was there similar to an ambulance running in the background which was like the first time when I took the delivery of the car after the Turbo change from my pocket.

Points about Susee Hyundai,
1) Thrice Turbo was changed but reasons where not clarified
2) Spares are 15% higher for the job to start in 2 days or else a waiting period of 7 days for spares like Turbo, Clutch plate and Rotor(which was immediately replaced by Sukreeth Hyundai another dealer in Madurai without any extra charge)

We have taken delivery of Two Hyundai I-20 CRDI from Susee Hyundai and the sales men made false promises while booking and ended up cheating us while delivering the car. Now i am doing service at Sukreeth Hyundai and they do the work sincerely, Susee Hyundai has lost orders of more than 3 Hyundai I-20's so far because of all these troubles and it was diverted to their competitor.
pjegadeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 16:59   #2
BHPian

Hi Pjegadeesh,

It's unfortunate to hear about the issues you had with Turbo,

Out of curiosity, when you had so many issues with Verna Diesel/Spares/After Sale Service, why did you buy two more I20-Diesels?

Last edited by raghu230506 : 11th March 2010 at 17:01.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 17:33   #3
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Its quite often with most manufacturers that some dealers are bad and the rest good. The same is the case here in bangalore also. I have also faced the same with maruti - i had a bad experience with mandovi while the rest were nice.
Overall the service is decent enough, but sad if you get stuck with some callous folks who are not up to the mark. You should get in touch with the regional sales manager and complain- they do take action
Overall a very informative thread for prospective buyers, this is what a forum is all about
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 18:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting log, esp the calculations!!

Of course, its cheaper in the long term to hire a car :-)
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 19:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
Cons of the car
1) The ride is bumpy and even some of the SUV's and MUV's give better ride compared to the Verna.
Agreed, The super bouncy ride, over light steering along with poor handling make this a horrible car to drive. What a waste of such a nice engine.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 19:59   #6
BHPian

That was an interesting summation of the maintenance charges.I feel the brake pads and tyres changed quite early.Worst is the turbo part still I feel the service advisors have not done well in Susee Hyundai.Yes the ride is bouncy but steering I feel is good as I regularly take long drives and it does not hurt my shoulder this is my personal experience.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 20:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Pjegadeesh,

It's unfortunate to hear about the issues you had with Turbo,

Out of curiosity, when you had so many issues with Verna Diesel/Spares/After Sale Service, why did you buy two more I20-Diesels?
Our I-20 CRDI ASDA was the first one to be delivered in madurai. The next one we took delivery was after a month after the first one ASDA Optional with sun roof. They were taken delivery before all these problems surfaced in my verna. If i had this experience earlier i would not have opted for I-20. My previous experience with accent CRDI was good it did 1,40,000 Kms without issues before being sold. I was a hard core Hyundai buyer, i will never recommend Hyundai products after this experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Its quite often with most manufacturers that some dealers are bad and the rest good. The same is the case here in bangalore also. I have also faced the same with maruti - i had a bad experience with mandovi while the rest were nice.
Overall the service is decent enough, but sad if you get stuck with some callous folks who are not up to the mark. You should get in touch with the regional sales manager and complain- they do take action
Overall a very informative thread for prospective buyers, this is what a forum is all about
I cannot blame Hyundai, their product is like that, tire life, brake pad life is less than competitors. But the Turbo part, Clutch Life and Susee service was testing my patience and finally said good bye to Verna sold it for Rs. 4,15,000 though the market value was higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Very interesting log, esp the calculations!!

Of course, its cheaper in the long term to hire a car :-)
Yes for sure if you keep selling your car in a short span it is waste of money. But if you buy a car with decent mileage, less maintenance and good resale value Eg. Swift VGT, Toyota Qualis, Innova it will be better. The interest part if taken into account the cost may go up further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Agreed, The super bouncy ride, over light steering along with poor handling make this a horrible car to drive. What a waste of such a nice engine.
That was a perfect quote ""What a waste of engine""

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
That was an interesting summation of the maintenance charges.I feel the brake pads and tyres changed quite early.Worst is the turbo part still I feel the service advisors have not done well in Susee Hyundai.Yes the ride is bouncy but steering I feel is good as I regularly take long drives and it does not hurt my shoulder this is my personal experience.
Yes i too preferred verna over Honda Civic because of the Torque and its cruising ability on the highways. Clocked 700 Kms with fever on a single day but it is pitiable for the persons sitting behind.

Booked Fiat Linea Emotion Pack MJD BOSSO NOVA WHITE with AR.AS.PV.PV Madurai on 16/2/2010 the vehicle was promised to be delivered before budget but still the vehicle is in transit and said to be loaded on 8/3/2010 from the factory. GAVE FULL PAYMENT ON 26/02/2010. Hope i need to face the same from the FIAT TATA dealership as they started their lies from the date of booking and it has not ended till date. Hope i will get it soon
pjegadeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 21:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is also having problem with his Vera regarding tyre life. The first pair has worn out at just 15k kms. The car pulls towards the left and the Hyundai A$$ is not able to rectify it.
The Hyundai A$$ simply washed their hands off resoning he has aftermarket alloys installed. I will request him to join the forum and share his experience. So much so for the "class leading" customer service.

Although he absolutely loves the engine, he detests the suspension and chassis so much so that he regrets buying his Verna. Says should have gone in for the Chevvy Optra or the Ford Fiesta.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 11th March 2010 at 21:14.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 22:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
A friend of mine is also having problem with his Vera regarding tyre life. The first pair has worn out at just 15k kms. The car pulls towards the left and the Hyundai A$$ is not able to rectify it.
The Hyundai A$$ simply washed their hands off resoning he has aftermarket alloys installed. I will request him to join the forum and share his experience. So much so for the "class leading" customer service.

Although he absolutely loves the engine, he detests the suspension and chassis so much so that he regrets buying his Verna. Says should have gone in for the Chevvy Optra or the Ford Fiesta.
Tyre life was not that bad for my verna except for the OEM ones. I didn't have any alignment problem but rubber wore faster due to the torquey CRDI engine. Chevy Optra is good and drag racing with verna it will win, but for a higher price tag. Fiesta is a better vehicle if commuting is main with better mileage, spares cost reduced and reliability improved compared to ikon. Brake pad life for fiesta was 70,000 Kms compared to verna's 25000 Kms for my brother who used to drive quite rash. Also Fiesta's low end torque is better and Turbo lag is less sensed compared to verna in lower RPM's but once the turbo opens Verna is gone and fiesta will be smoked
Old 12th March 2010, 10:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ Jegadeesh: Here the dealer had spoiled the sport. In fact he had taken advantage of you buying 3 vehicles from him.

On what kind of roads was your vehicle driven? Was it completely dusty/village road or only used as perfect highway cruiser?

How do you rate the handling & stability of i20 with verna?

Coming to wear & tear of brake pads & tires happens very early in Verna & Optra's, due to their sudden surge of power after the turbo spools up leads to frequent breaking & acceleration.
This is a common tendency of a person to rip the vehicle in very gear & make use of it, the moment they find the road the empty.
This happens to every vehicle put into these kind of situations, but the same kind of surge is not there in Fiesta and hence people feel its more reliable. My two cents.

Note: I'm not in favor/against of any vehicle here.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 12th March 2010 at 10:44.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

By the way here is is Verna accelerating from 0-100 kmph! Look how quickly it accelerates!

extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 12:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
@ Jegadeesh: Here the dealer had spoiled the sport. In fact he had taken advantage of you buying 3 vehicles from him.

On what kind of roads was your vehicle driven? Was it completely dusty/village road or only used as perfect highway cruiser?

How do you rate the handling & stability of i20 with verna?

Coming to wear & tear of brake pads & tires happens very early in Verna & Optra's, due to their sudden surge of power after the turbo spools up leads to frequent breaking & acceleration.
This is a common tendency of a person to rip the vehicle in very gear & make use of it, the moment they find the road the empty.
This happens to every vehicle put into these kind of situations, but the same kind of surge is not there in Fiesta and hence people feel its more reliable. My two cents.

Note: I'm not in favor/against of any vehicle here.
Yes i too mentioned the same in my previous reply about the tyre wear and tear because of the torquey CRDI. But the tyre life and Brake pad life of optra compared to Verna is better. My cousin's optra has done 50,000 Kms and it is still going good. Tyre lasted 40000 Kms for the Optra. But it costs more than a lakh rupees and it is not fair to compare it with verna. But Verna almost catches the Optra in the engine department.

Hyundai I20 is a good car as such. The interiors are new and gives rich look compared to that of Verna. And the 5 star safety rating with 6 airbags, sun roof, ABS, EBD, Steering controls tempted us to go for it. The handling of the car is better compared to that of verna. I took it to Bangalore which was 525 Kms from my place and it took just 6 Hours to reach the city center thanks to the Four lane highway for almost 450 Kms. It takes the corners better and the ride is not as stiff as verna. At high speeds (165 Kmph) the car is well planted with very good FE of 16KMPL including 100 Kms city ride in Bangalore traffic. The engine is no where comparable to that of Verna CRDi it is atleast 2 seconds slower in 0-100 Kms and the lack in engine grunt compared to verna is felt through out. Turbo Lag is Obvious like in Verna, overall a nice package but should wait to see the Hyundai reliability and A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
By the way here is is Verna accelerating from 0-100 kmph! Look how quickly it accelerates!
Yes, that is wonderful nice video but how did you manage to take it.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:20   #13
BHPian

Well, I for one have done 48K kms in my Verna and the brake pads were replaced @ 41K. The cost of service has increased (obviously) over a period of time.

1st Service @ 11k - Rs. 2463
2nd Service @ 22k - Rs. 3487
3rd Service @ 30k - Rs. 4829
4th Service @ 41k - Rs. 6713 (brake pads changed)

Major costs involved since the time i bought it (Jan 2007) were that of the clutch master cylinder conking off which was replaced for Rs. 3500, the front power window mechanism replaced Rs. 3338 (ouch) and rear door lock replaced (under warranty). Pending job is to replace the rear power window mechanism cos that has packed off as well. The quality sucks, but I still overlook these things cos the sheer adrenaline rush that this car gives me is unmatched by any vehicle previously owned. I give this car a .
Hummer.Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
Major costs involved since the time i bought it (Jan 2007) were that of the clutch master cylinder conking off which was replaced for Rs. 3500, the front power window mechanism replaced Rs. 3338 (ouch) and rear door lock replaced (under warranty). Pending job is to replace the rear power window mechanism cos that has packed off as well. The quality sucks, but I still overlook these things cos the sheer adrenaline rush that this car gives me is unmatched by any vehicle previously owned. I give this car a .
That was bad for a 3 year old car, but 41,000 Kms for the brake pad for verna i think i should learn driving from you waste of over 6 lakh kms i have driven in my life. Any how not only driving skills but also the traffic conditions should be taken in to acount.
pjegadeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 13:50   #15
BHPian

A verna turbo costs Rs. 60K and their is no possiblities for repairing a turbo charger? If their is a minor mistake, one have to pay Rs. 60K instently!!
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote