Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:11   #376
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Which part of Kerala are you talking about? Polo is 3cyl.
Most parts of Kerala is like that.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:19   #377
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

<<<21 on highway?!! Thats a real good figure. Do let us know of his reply.>>
@Gemi - He replied back that he is getting 20-21 per litre. I can PM his name and mob no if you need to speak to him
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:29   #378
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 232
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Hi there, I too have a figo at home. Wanted to know where is the radiator fan in the engine compartment? The fan that I see clearly on the front side is the evaporator fan (AC) but i am not able to figure out the radiator fan.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 04:58   #379
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,263 Times
Default

Hey guys,

Since I frequently shift between a petrol and a diesel, I had mentioned some points about to drive the fiesta when you are just starting out, and want good FE:

Now a few things as you are switching over to a diesel car:
- Do run the engine in!
- when switching the vehicle off, pls let the car idle for a minute so that the turbo can cool down and switch off.
- When changing gears, please remember that this is a diesel and after 3000-3500 rpm, she will feel strained. Generally when driving in the city (NOT SPIRITED DRIVING), i generally change the gears at around 1750rpm. The corresponding speeds are:
1st - 2nd: 15kmph
2nd - 3rd: 30kmph
3rd - 4th: 40kmph
4th - 5th: 55kmph
Generally around these speeds, the rpm is at 1250 and the engine isn't strained.

Following this, I normally get 13-14kmpl in Mumbai's jam-packed roads and this includes the occasional ripping as well.
I am returning to India in 18 days, and will check the FE out on long drives to know how it is doing, especially after switching over to synthetic oil this Jan.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 08:05   #380
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
2nd last pic - Engine oil filter
Last pic - OBD port

Turbo should be towards the dashboard
Thanks KP. Why is the engine oil filter positioned like that. On all petrol cars i've seen it facing downwards. Is it like this on diesels. ANy specific spots where should i look for the turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Those are terrific pics of the Figo, inside out!
Enjoying the in-depth coverage.
Thanks Gemithomas, GTO and everyone else.
I love getting under things to see a lot more. And i've seen quite scary things like a quality check sticker from 2002 on some parts in my Adventure manufactured in 2006!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
1st and 2nd picture are just rubber mounts to hold the bonnet guess.
No. A pipe connects it to somewhere. Enlarge the picture and check. And it does not seem to be touching the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
I am not worried, yet. I still drive my Manza and Figo like I drive my Marina. The RPM rarely crosses 2000 especially in Figo. I just change gears instinctively rather than by looking at the RPM, maybe around 1800+ and since I don't cross 70kph, the cruising is at around 1800RPM.

The Manza and the Figo have different characteristics from what little that I know of them. But Manza appears to be easier to get good mileage, though the Figo engine should be better going by the Fiesta experiences.
I too think it would require extremely careful driving to extract good mileage from the Figo. Only more miles of running could really tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@Gemi - He replied back that he is getting 20-21 per litre. I can PM his name and mob no if you need to speak to him
Do PM his name and mobile no. Would love to hear how he extracts that kind of mileage. Which place is he from? And where has he posted this? Any links to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Hi there, I too have a figo at home. Wanted to know where is the radiator fan in the engine compartment? The fan that I see clearly on the front side is the evaporator fan (AC) but i am not able to figure out the radiator fan.
I thought both are the same. I'm not sure if there are two fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Since I frequently shift between a petrol and a diesel, I had mentioned some points about to drive the fiesta when you are just starting out, and want good FE:

Now a few things as you are switching over to a diesel car:
- Do run the engine in!
- when switching the vehicle off, pls let the car idle for a minute so that the turbo can cool down and switch off.
- When changing gears, please remember that this is a diesel and after 3000-3500 rpm, she will feel strained. Generally when driving in the city (NOT SPIRITED DRIVING), i generally change the gears at around 1750rpm. The corresponding speeds are:
1st - 2nd: 15kmph
2nd - 3rd: 30kmph
3rd - 4th: 40kmph
4th - 5th: 55kmph
Generally around these speeds, the rpm is at 1250 and the engine isn't strained.

Following this, I normally get 13-14kmpl in Mumbai's jam-packed roads and this includes the occasional ripping as well.
I am returning to India in 18 days, and will check the FE out on long drives to know how it is doing, especially after switching over to synthetic oil this Jan.
Thanks lamborghini. So even such conservative driving gives you only around 14km/l!! I am amused about the claims of 16-17 in city.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 08:12   #381
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 232
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Hi Gemi,

what i feel is that it isnt the radiator fan. Reason being I drove the car for 15 kms before reaching home. Switched off the AC and opened the hood. The fan was off. And the outside temperature at the time was 38*C. So the fan should have been working. But it wasn't. Do check out yourself.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 08:18   #382
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Hi Gemi,

what i feel is that it isnt the radiator fan. Reason being I drove the car for 15 kms before reaching home. Switched off the AC and opened the hood. The fan was off. And the outside temperature at the time was 38*C. So the fan should have been working. But it wasn't. Do check out yourself.
The radiator fan comes on only when the engine temperature crosses a certain peset value. There are two speeds for the fan (high speed and normal speed). After the engine temperature comes below the fan does turn off. This is controlled by a thermostat.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 17:56   #383
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,636
Thanked: 1,263 Times
Default

@gemithomas - The 13-14kmpl I get is with proper traffic, short city runs, midnight revvs, etc. Going by what other cars have given me, this is actually better than average.
I have noticed that my FE tends to be very similar to what ACI gets when they test their cars, and they too test it in Mumbai, and even for them, the 14kmpl from the Fiesta is better than the Verna's FE, and some other cars IIRC.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 15:08   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
went through some reviews in other sites about Figo mileage
-one person has told that he has got 21km/l and given his mob no. SMSed him.
-one person has got 11.6km/l in city driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@Gemi - He replied back that he is getting 20-21 per litre. I can PM his name and mob no if you need to speak to him
Guys! He is a fake. Must be some sales guy at some dealer. He just does not want to share any more info than he is getting 21km/l!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I remember reading in ACI that Ford is doing cost cutting by manufacturing engines (1.2 Petrol and 1.4 Diesel) for the Figo at Chennai itself. Does this mean anything ?
The fact that ford is not confident enough to give the 4th year extended warranty makes me think now. Did i make a hasty decision by any chance???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@gemithomas - The 13-14kmpl I get is with proper traffic, short city runs, midnight revvs, etc. Going by what other cars have given me, this is actually better than average. I have noticed that my FE tends to be very similar to what ACI gets when they test their cars, and they too test it in Mumbai, and even for them, the 14kmpl from the Fiesta is better than the Verna's FE, and some other cars IIRC.
I too am of those people who believe that 14-15 in city from a diesel is GREAT!! F.E. But people saying that they are getting 18 make me feel i need to dig into the issue and know if its really possible.


Guys

No one knows what the thing in pic 1 and 2 is?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1865496

Last edited by gemithomas : 5th May 2010 at 15:09.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 15:15   #385
BHPian
 
hiren959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 339
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

My first FE with Figo TDCi comes around 11.7 with 100% AC on, with 45% highway and 55% city driving which I think is very low compare to others.
hiren959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 15:21   #386
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,019
Thanked: 526 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Guys! He is a fake. Must be some sales guy at some dealer. He just does not want to share any more info than he is getting 21km/l!!!



The fact that ford is not confident enough to give the 4th year extended warranty makes me think now. Did i make a hasty decision by any chance???!!!




Gemi you seem to be always insecure with the purchase decision. Do you mean to say this was not a well thought out decision.
hiren959, 11.7 is one of the lowest mileage I have heard of in a diesel hatchback under the conditions you mentioned.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 15:27   #387
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Gemi you seem to be always insecure with the purchase decision. Do you mean to say this was not a well thought out decision.
Of course i am having second thoughts now. While i bought the car i was promised there is a 4th year warranty and i even paid for it. Then they say there is no warranty only for this car while every other ford has it in india. Thats putting my pocket at risk for 365 days more!!

I really dont find any reason for not providing the 4th year warranty just for this one car unless ford is really scared of the long term monetary implications.

Last edited by gemithomas : 5th May 2010 at 15:28.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 15:31   #388
BHPian
 
CoolFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trichur, Kerala
Posts: 261
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

Quote:
Guys! He is a fake. Must be some sales guy at some dealer. He just does not want to share any more info than he is getting 21km/l!!!
I am getting 20-21km/l consistently on my Ford ikon TDCi, which consists almost 95% of highway runs. On a combined city - highway run, I would say it is almost impossible. Same should go for the figo.
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 16:08   #389
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The fact that ford is not confident enough to give the 4th year extended warranty makes me think now. Did i make a hasty decision by any chance???!!!


Hey, We have been making the same TDCi engines in Chennai for a long time now, Even my Fusion has a 'Made in Chennai' TDCi engine. So here there is no question of any cost cutting. Rather the Figo TDCi engine costs more than my Fusion TDCi Engine because of the modifications done to the engine cover & manifold.

As far as the 4th year warranty is concerned, It is not being offered as:

You know that after the 3rd year, The maintenance costs to rise by a certain % in most cases. This % figure is usually anywhere between 0-20%.

Some of the costs incurred could mean :
1) A rusted muffler (only on cars that did nt get the underbody treatment done up)
2) Suspension trouble (on cars that travel more than 100 kms a day & on rough, badland roads(or are they known as no roads))

etc. etc.

Now these parts do cost a lot of money to the company & already we have kept our profits on the figo just above the per unit break even point.

So if you add some of the parts cost that the company has to borne because of the 4th year warranty, then we come down below our operating range. This then causes losses. Small losses per unit multiplied by 'x' lakh units results in bombastic () losses!

As a company, we would not like to go bankrupt now, do we.

PS - It is estimated that the Figo project will break even only when 100,000 units of the figo are sold <---- Not an official figure but this is what i heard.

Ford does operate on a very meager profit regime throughout the world, The focus is always on providing great quality at the most competitive price point.

In Europe, we are a VFM brand but not a low cost brand. But if we get the same cars in India, we would become a luxury brand here.

If our sales fall, at any point, like it did in the US a few years back, Then the pressure is on the company as according to our operating principle, we have to sell minimum 'X' units of cars (model wise) to get Y% of profit. If this is not the case then the company does make a loss.

Now back to the India situation, In India our dealers are given a higher margin then lets say in comparison to maruti, hyundai.

This is because earlier, our sales were low & dealers were finding it hard to survive.

This however has changed with the Figo, wherein our dealers are given even less margin then maruti, hyundai since the no. of cars they will be selling will be more. However they still enjoy a higher margin on cars like the fiesta & the Endy.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 5th May 2010 at 16:13.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 17:18   #390
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 365
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

I have gone through almost all posts on FIGO and based on that have booked a FIGO TDCI Titanium recently. One of the concerns I had was F.E and from the threads, what I have noticed is that in City Figo gets around 13-14 Kms/Ltr and on highways around 18 kms/ltr. I'm fine with this F.E if that is the trade off I have to make for "drivability" and for owning one of the best "drivers car" among hatchbacks so far (of course the price and a bigger boot than Vista also helped).
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 56,000 km Update shuvc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 102 15th February 2016 12:21
PaNtHeR - My Ford Figo TDCi EXi -24K update gr8guzzler Long-Term Ownership Reviews 143 18th July 2011 09:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks