Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th May 2010, 17:43   #391
BHPian

Very interesting Mustang.

For a consumer - what special treatment do I need to give the car to ensure that I dont need to use such a warranty.

#1 - I'll do the underbody treatment after 6 months. Its the rubber coating right?
#2 - ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Some of the costs incurred could mean :
1) A rusted muffler (only on cars that did nt get the underbody treatment done up)
2) Suspension trouble (on cars that travel more than 100 kms a day & on rough, badland roads(or are they known as no roads))
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 17:59   #392
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Very interesting Mustang.

For a consumer - what special treatment do I need to give the car to ensure that I dont need to use such a warranty.

#1 - I'll do the underbody treatment after 6 months. Its the rubber coating right?
#2 - ?
#1 - Its the waxoyl underbody paint or whatever, I dont have the tech specs on what material is it.

#2 - Never miss regular services

#3 - Check tyre pressures fortnightly

#4 - Check Engine oil & Coolant levels once a week

#5 - Never visit a local mechanic even if it costs extremely less or parts are cheaper (I have experience)

#6 - Buy only ford spares from the authorised service station (Again i have a lot of experience on this)

#7 - Use only ford certified fluids(coolant & brake & PS), Engine oil you can buy synthetic from outside but this should be only done after your warranty expires

#8 - Drive like you are driving in the US, Dont squeeze into lanes or exceed speed limits

#9 - Drive with a light foot when on the city

#10 - Fill fuel from a pump that you trust.

#11 - Dont put 6 or 6+ passengers in your car, I dont even allow a 5th
passenger in my car.

#12 - Wax your car fortnightly with turtle wax or eagle one nano wax & it will look spic & span for decades.

#13 - Dont get AC servicing done up until you really think that your car AC is not performing as expected

#14 - UNDERBODY treatment should be done rightaway as if in those 6 months you do get some rust then it will eat away into the metal as that rust will be in b/w the metal & the coating.

#15 - Dont use any additives for TDCi & dont fill premium diesel in it.

#16 - Dont lug the engine. Remember higher rpms are still better than lower ones for your engine. Dont try to drive below 1000 rpm.

Your '?' answer is : People who use the car on very rough rodes like rural roads that are kuchha roads or semi-pukka roads do get their ford suspension changed twice as quick. Our suspension is the main reason behind its excellent road handling & is thus designed for flat tarred roads. If the suspension goes for a six, then so does the handling & the road manners. & your car wobbles like a boat on high speeds.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 5th May 2010 at 18:02.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 18:20   #393
BHPian

That was superb - thanks.

The '?' was for a list of other items from you to get done for the car. Not as a doubt on the road.

Quote:
Your '?' answer is : People who use the car on very rough rodes like rural roads that are kuchha roads or semi-pukka roads do get their ford suspension changed twice as quick. Our suspension is the main reason behind its excellent road handling & is thus designed for flat tarred roads. If the suspension goes for a six, then so does the handling & the road manners. & your car wobbles like a boat on high speeds.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 18:20   #394
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
#16 - Dont lug the engine. Remember higher rpms are still better than lower ones for your engine. Dont try to drive below 1000 rpm.
Shifting from an automatic petrol to two new diesels is taking me a little more to adjust to the different characteristics of these two common rail engines.

The problem with me is that I stick to the legal top speed of 70kph and that is a bare 1750RPM in fifth. Won't do fuel economy much good, I think.

OT: I never knew whether you got an email sent through this system by me.

Kairali Ford Cochin delivered my car in 10 days though I was told that I could have a wait upto 2 months while booking.

My experience has been given here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1868773 (kairali ford, Cochin / Ernakulam positive experience)
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 18:32   #395
BANNED

@trrk : Driving @ 1750 rpm & 5th gear is good enough to get a decent mileage figure.

I did not get any e-mail from you.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:50   #396
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
@trrk : Driving @ 1750 rpm & 5th gear is good enough to get a decent mileage figure.

I did not get any e-mail from you.
Ok for the first point. Now I have to take a long drive to really check the mileage, but I need to put in another 800km into the Manza so that I can do the second service before our next family outing.

I tried sending the email through the teamBHP system. That is OK.

@gemi:

That rubber thing (1 & 2 in the series of images a couple of pages back) is not even tight in my car, but could not make out where the tube leads to and so no idea about what it is, yet.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 19:21   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
- There is a squeak when i turn the steering. Something like the sound a rusted spring would make when pulled. They said they hear it on most fiesta's and that it is normal. I'll believe them..
It is there in My Fiesta as well as in Fusion. I am assuming you are hearing when you turn the steering to extreme right or left right? If so then they mentioned in the Manual as well, don't keep the steering positoin in the extreme position for long time. And the servce people told me that when you get this sound you should release the steering a little bit
anumod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 19:44   #398
BANNED

Quote:
I guess you are supposed to get your car in May. Dont worry. Apollo's are not being given now AFAIK. And the FE part. I'm sure we'll figure out whats wrong and we all will be getting that kind of mileage in city.

Meanwhile. Can someone help me with what these things are. I assume the pics 3 and 4 are the Turbo but wanted to confirm Also where is the Oil Filter located on the TDCi. Tried to find it out but in vain

What i 'Think' is there in Pics 1 & 2 is the bonnet shock absorber, though i am not sure, There seems to be a spring underneath those rubber pads. But then again, I am not sure, Try pressing it forcefully & see if it compresses & then expands when you lift your hand.

What i can tell you surely is what 'FoMoCo' means, Ofcourse it means ford motor company but it is the global name of our parts' brand. It is also known as motorcraft. So If you want to see, whether a vital part is original or not then you will have 'FoMoCo' or 'Motorcraft' stamped on it with a serial no.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:08   #399
Senior - BHPian

@gemi - That is what I felt as well, specially since we never got above 10 on a similarly sized petrol vehicle.
However, let me also tell you that we too were among the first buyers of the fiesta, and the car had a few small squeaks and the one-off part failure (A.C.) when it was new also. However, the long term reliability of the car is simply impressive, and on par with our Honda-experience, and apparently, the quality has improved over time. I am just saying this in case your car gives you second thoughts after hearing some rattles crop up. I know for a fact that it won't be worse than that in Marutis.
Also, around that time, everyone claimed to be getting 17-18+ from the fiesta, but I guess the way the car is driven, the distance, idling time, traffic, road conditions, timing of the day, temperature, etc. all make a difference in FE.

P.S. - We switched to the fiesta after using a Palio 1.6, and I am not regretting the move till now (though I miss the Palio a lot!). Quite similar, though completely different from your move.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 22:40   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
My first FE with Figo TDCi comes around 11.7 with 100% AC on, with 45% highway and 55% city driving which I think is very low compare to others.
Yes. It is. And most of us out here are getting worried about such figures. The dealers are still marketing the 20km/l funda. I'm just hoping ford comes out with a Fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
I am getting 20-21km/l consistently on my Ford ikon TDCi, which consists almost 95% of highway runs. On a combined city - highway run, I would say it is almost impossible. Same should go for the figo.
The Ikon seems to be giving the maximum FE with the TDCi engine. as per recent reports here.

Quote:
Hey, We have been making the same TDCi engines in Chennai for a long time now, Even my Fusion has a 'Made in Chennai' TDCi engine. So here there is no question of any cost cutting. Rather the Figo TDCi engine costs more than my Fusion TDCi Engine because of the modifications done to the engine cover & manifold.

As far as the 4th year warranty is concerned, It is not being offered as:
Thanks for the info mustang. However personally i think its a wrong move by ford to not give the E.W just for the Figo range. Probably they should have opted for a higher cost for the E.W but asking the customer to bear the costs since ford is not getting margins does not seem to be right. It becomes more bitter when you are promised the 4th year warranty when you buy the car, you pay for it, and later on you are told that its not there.

I'm sure you would understand that every car buyer would give some weightage to the warranty/E-Warranty available before he zeroes in n a car.

I have asked for the price list of the accessories through a mail to customer care. Its almost over 2 weeks and i have still not received any info.

What bugs me most is that i stayed away from a better car (as per my priorities) because i wanted a good ownership experience. But the experience over the past 1.5 months are not very reassuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
I have gone through almost all posts on FIGO and based on that have booked a FIGO TDCI Titanium recently. One of the concerns I had was F.E and from the threads, what I have noticed is that in City Figo gets around 13-14 Kms/Ltr and on highways around 18 kms/ltr. I'm fine with this F.E if that is the trade off I have to make for "drivability" and for owning one of the best "drivers car" among hatchbacks so far (of course the price and a bigger boot than Vista also helped).
Congrats. Wish you a very happy ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
@gemi:
That rubber thing (1 & 2 in the series of images a couple of pages back) is not even tight in my car, but could not make out where the tube leads to and so no idea about what it is, yet.
I too tried to figure out where the tube goes but was unsuccessful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
It is there in My Fiesta as well as in Fusion. I am assuming you are hearing when you turn the steering to extreme right or left right? If so then they mentioned in the Manual as well, don't keep the steering positoin in the extreme position for long time. And the servce people told me that when you get this sound you should release the steering a little bit
Its not the hiss that you hear at the end. Its there when you are turning the steering.

Quote:
What i 'Think' is there in Pics 1 & 2 is the bonnet shock absorber, though i am not sure, There seems to be a spring underneath those rubber pads. But then again, I am not sure, Try pressing it forcefully & see if it compresses & then expands when you lift your hand.

What i can tell you surely is what 'FoMoCo' means, Ofcourse it means ford motor company but it is the global name of our parts' brand. It is also known as motorcraft. So If you want to see, whether a vital part is original or not then you will have 'FoMoCo' or 'Motorcraft' stamped on it with a serial no.
Its not that. There is a tube underneath that connects it somewhere else. Could not figure out where it really goes. Its not fixed very strongly as to be a pressed forcefully. It looks like some kind of sensor to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@gemi - That is what I felt as well, specially since we never got above 10 on a similarly sized petrol vehicle.
However, let me also tell you that we too were among the first buyers of the fiesta, and the car had a few small squeaks and the one-off part failure (A.C.) when it was new also. However, the long term reliability of the car is simply impressive, and on par with our Honda-experience, and apparently, the quality has improved over time. I am just saying this in case your car gives you second thoughts after hearing some rattles crop up. I know for a fact that it won't be worse than that in Marutis.
Also, around that time, everyone claimed to be getting 17-18+ from the fiesta, but I guess the way the car is driven, the distance, idling time, traffic, road conditions, timing of the day, temperature, etc. all make a difference in FE.

P.S. - We switched to the fiesta after using a Palio 1.6, and I am not regretting the move till now (though I miss the Palio a lot!). Quite similar, though completely different from your move.
Everytime someone mentions the FIAT 1.6 i feel terribly sad. But then, i wasnt given a choice by the manufacturers. ALL IZZ WELL!!!

Last edited by gemithomas : 5th May 2010 at 22:46.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 23:26   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Some of the costs incurred could mean :
1) A rusted muffler (only on cars that didnt get the underbody treatment done up)
Why is it that anticorrosion treatment needs to be done seperately at extra cost? Why is 6.4lakh(Titanium Tdci OTR cost in KA) car's paint incapable of handling corrosion? After all companies are to have tested the cars in varying climatic conditions.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 5th May 2010 at 23:33.
Deep Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 00:59   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It is. And most of us out here are getting worried about such figures. The dealers are still marketing the 20km/l funda. I'm just hoping ford comes out with a Fix.
Well, this is my first post on team bhp.

Have been waiting in the wings for a bit now to buy my first car after actually deciding on the Figo TDCi, that too after reading literally everything there is about the Figo in this forum over 2 months. Whats put me off are the FE figures being reported here (incl. those in wet weather).

Now i'm in a fix, since the Swift Vdi is beyond my budget. To surmise I agree with you Gemi, if Ford can 'fix' the FE all that's left to say is .. i'll take mine in moondust silver please!
commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:09   #403
BHPian

@Gemi: Well my experience with the Fusion has been like clockwork and I have been a very erratic owner.

Starting with absolutely no extended warranty opted for. A completely jo hoga dekha jayega process. Not good, but survived.

The first 6 months the car was rarely used. Next 6 months it was not used either. And then there was sudden extreme usage when we shifted to an area with No roads. Translating to minimum 6" mud and slush whenever it rained.

So far, component failure has been of 1 tail lamp in 4.5 years and 50,000 kilometers. The car has seen bad and good highways almost everywhere, including Jharkhand and Orissa, which according to me are worst. The car has been used 70% on Highways alone. Even 4 out of 5 tyres are original, lost 1 to a high speed blowout 2 years back.

Servicing cost has been in the range of Rs 3500 - Rs 4500 about twice a year. It goes for service once in every 8 months and a checkup before and after any 2000 km plus trip. These checkups have been free as well.

But this is My Experience, I could be lucky Might nor repeat that with the Figo though.

@Deep Blue
Regarding Under Body Coating / Antirust Coating
IMO, the car can easily survive without that if you are not scraping in every now and then on Mud and Rocks at various places. If you are, then you are better off with it.

There is a similar treatment for body paint to resist scratches as well. Works well against the occasional brushing brambles on narrow roads.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 11:02   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not that. There is a tube underneath that connects it somewhere else. Could not figure out where it really goes. Its not fixed very strongly as to be a pressed forcefully. It looks like some kind of sensor to me.
Gemi,

Pls post pics of that part from other angles as well.

Did u reset the ECU and check the FE ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 13:45   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Why is it that anticorrosion treatment needs to be done seperately at extra cost? Why is 6.4lakh(Titanium Tdci OTR cost in KA) car's paint incapable of handling corrosion? After all companies are to have tested the cars in varying climatic conditions.
He is talking about under body rust protection, not rust protection for the paint. No car comes with under body rust protectin as standard as far as I know. At least not in this segment or the one above. I have 3M underbody coat on my Fiesta. It costs 3K and comes with a 3 year warranty. It also completely eliminates any kind of mud or pebble noises.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote