Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 10:20   #466
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I have a figo as well as a fiesta.Both of them seem to have similar mileage with my fiesta having a km or 2 advantage since it has few thousands of kilometer under it's belt.
I think the Fiesta and the Ikon will have a slight FE advantage over the Figo because they also look a lot more areodynamic to my layman eyes.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 11:35   #467
BHPian
 
Brix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

OK - I'll try to sum the parameters for better F.E as we've seen so far:
-BS xx Fuel
-Tire's Air Pressure
-Optimum temperature(reached after 4-5KM run as reported by dr.trrk)
-Less gear shifts
-Reliable Fuel Pump
-Outside temperature when driving
-A/C usage
-Reaching some 2.5k KM before engine sets in.

I hope I didnt miss anything.

In this case I guess I can take care of 3-4 parameters. Rest are out of my control.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 11:37   #468
BHPian
 
shubhodeepdas@g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 250
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Since the FE battle has been on for a while, I think we should now look at the tyres that are standard on these vehicles running the TDCi engines. That would be Fiesta, Fusion, Ikon and Figo.

I am very sure Fusion comes with a Goodyear GT3 195/60 R15.
Others can pitch in with the stock they got with their Fiestas and Ikons.

The rolling resistance of tyres can do a lot to fuel economy in my opinion and Figo has been given something for more comfort rather than performance. It might be a good thing to check that in detail.
  1. What were the Figos tested with?
  2. What are they being supplied with?
  3. What wheels were the Figos tested with and which gave the best result, alloy or steel?
  4. What weather they were tested in? Rains have a very bad effect on FE in my experience.

The company would probably publicize the best results it got from the tests.

In day to day use we are never sure of the pressure maintained in these tyres, they heat up, they cool down, as a result pressure increases and decreases, unless filled with Nitrogen (which is not recommended without alloys). IMO it's this area which is troubling the Figo so much, apart from other things.

There is one another thing. Tyre Pressure.
We fill out tyres for minimum or maximum load specified. We never really fill for what we exactly need on a regular basis. The pressure pumps at the fuel stations are not really well calibrated either. The chap at the pump will fill for the minimum load always or go by a default 32 PSI for anything and everything.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:36   #469
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
That's exactly what's happening with the Figo as well. If you yourself don't expect ARAI-like mileage on a Palio 1.6, why are you expecting the same on a Figo 1.4? But there is absolutely nothing wrong in Ford or Fiat advertising ARAI figures.


trrk reported 22 kmpl on a particular run. What would be exceptional for you? How will it be practically possible for all owners in the country to report 'consistent' FE figures. Of course it would be inconsistent. Take a look at the Ritz thread in the Technical Section. Owners are reporting anything from 9-15.
I think you are not understanding. The figures can be inconsistent - agreed to what extent. With less of no of Figo's sold (Figo diesel threads would be still low) how can it vary so much from 11 to 18.
But the common mileage is there in all vehicles which varies extensively in Figo. DDiS sells more because of consistent mileage eventhough it has other drawbacks. Have seen lot of new buyers opting for Figo diesel not only for better price, but also had an impression of better FE.
But Ford has definitely underplayed the FE part.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:49   #470
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
OK - I'll try to sum the parameters for better F.E as we've seen so far:
-BS xx Fuel
-Tire's Air Pressure
-Optimum temperature(reached after 4-5KM run as reported by dr.trrk)
-Less gear shifts
-Reliable Fuel Pump
-Outside temperature when driving
-A/C usage
-Reaching some 2.5k KM before engine sets in.

I hope I didnt miss anything.

In this case I guess I can take care of 3-4 parameters. Rest are out of my control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Since the FE battle has been on for a while, I think we should now look at the tyres that are standard on these vehicles running the TDCi engines. That would be Fiesta, Fusion, Ikon and Figo.

I am very sure Fusion comes with a Goodyear GT3 195/60 R15.
Others can pitch in with the stock they got with their Fiestas and Ikons.

The rolling resistance of tyres can do a lot to fuel economy in my opinion and Figo has been given something for more comfort rather than performance. It might be a good thing to check that in detail.
  1. What were the Figos tested with?
  2. What are they being supplied with?
  3. What wheels were the Figos tested with and which gave the best result, alloy or steel?
  4. What weather they were tested in? Rains have a very bad effect on FE in my experience.
The company would probably publicize the best results it got from the tests.

In day to day use we are never sure of the pressure maintained in these tyres, they heat up, they cool down, as a result pressure increases and decreases, unless filled with Nitrogen (which is not recommended without alloys). IMO it's this area which is troubling the Figo so much, apart from other things.

There is one another thing. Tyre Pressure.
We fill out tyres for minimum or maximum load specified. We never really fill for what we exactly need on a regular basis. The pressure pumps at the fuel stations are not really well calibrated either. The chap at the pump will fill for the minimum load always or go by a default 32 PSI for anything and everything.
Valid points. As far as in Figo, all are very new cars and I think all the above factors contribute a smaller variance of FE figures. The same person getting high during 1st tank fill and very low in the next tank fill in the same car with the same driving style shows more inconsistency of FE values.
@shubhodeepdas - why nitrogen not recommended for OE rims.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 13:02   #471
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 290 Times
Default

I don't think BS3 to BS4 fuel will result in a 3kmpl increase in FE unless the BS3 fuel being used is highly adulterated. There will be some improvement, but 3 kmpl seems to be highly off the mark. Captain Slow's 1.2 is running in Bangalore so he should be using BS4 fuel inspite of which he is getting in city FE of 10.5 to 11 only,that too consistently for the last 3 tankfuls.

Last edited by longhorn : 14th May 2010 at 13:04.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 13:22   #472
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Yes Longhorn. 3km/l is a pretty high value. I think BSIV fuel is more refined to minimise pollution.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 14:22   #473
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I think you are not understanding. The figures can be inconsistent - agreed to what extent. With less of no of Figo's sold (Figo diesel threads would be still low) how can it vary so much from 11 to 18.
But the common mileage is there in all vehicles which varies extensively in Figo. DDiS sells more because of consistent mileage eventhough it has other drawbacks. Have seen lot of new buyers opting for Figo diesel not only for better price, but also had an impression of better FE.
But Ford has definitely underplayed the FE part.
Well the TDCi is known to give varied mileage, It depends on outside conditions as well as how a person drives.

Thats why the variations range from a meagre 12 kmpl to a jaw dropping marathon run figure of about 35kmpl.



Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't think BS3 to BS4 fuel will result in a 3kmpl increase in FE unless the BS3 fuel being used is highly adulterated. There will be some improvement, but 3 kmpl seems to be highly off the mark. Captain Slow's 1.2 is running in Bangalore so he should be using BS4 fuel inspite of which he is getting in city FE of 10.5 to 11 only,that too consistently for the last 3 tankfuls.
I never said about transition from euro 3 to euro 4 diesel.

I was talking about transition from euro 2 fuel to euro 3 diesel.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 15:07   #474
RGK
Senior - BHPian
 
RGK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DPM and CHN
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

<<Well the TDCi is known to give varied mileage, It depends on outside conditions as well as how a person drives.

Thats why the variations range from a meagre 12 kmpl to a jaw dropping marathon run figure of about 35kmpl.>>

Yes Mustang - Seen Fiesta advts giving 34kmpl. Know some people constantly getting around 20 on highways. Thats the reason, people like me went for Ford that it would certainly hang on around 18-20kmpl in highway always and never vary for the same person which is happening now for new figo owners.
Any FE figures from rural owners of Figo where there is less traffic jams and quicker upshifts happening.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:30   #475
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't think BS3 to BS4 fuel will result in a 3kmpl increase in FE unless the BS3 fuel being used is highly adulterated. There will be some improvement, but 3 kmpl seems to be highly off the mark. Captain Slow's 1.2 is running in Bangalore so he should be using BS4 fuel inspite of which he is getting in city FE of 10.5 to 11 only,that too consistently for the last 3 tankfuls.
Captain slow has a 1.2 petrol and the discussion here about BS3/BS4 TDCI diesel.

I agree that 1.2 petrol is not the best in class engine when compared to the K-series /kappa in terms of mileage /power.
I was expecting the 1.2 petrol to give at-least 13-14Kmpl in city to be competitive.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:37   #476
BHPian
 
shubhodeepdas@g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 250
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
@shubhodeepdas - why nitrogen not recommended for OE rims.
Steel rims normally flex a lot more than alloys, hence the extra stability when using alloys. Nitrogen will still work but not retain it's pressure for that long on a steel rim, you may need to check it every 2 - 3 months. Regular air one is supposed to check every 2 weeks. This was given to me by the tyre guys.

Age of tyre also matters in this area. I topped the nitrogen this week after last filling it in September last year. Only 1 old tyre showed a drop on 2 PSI. Rest were well within limits.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 19:42   #477
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 412
Thanked: 23 Times
Default 100+kgs

Was browsing over Ford icon TDCI brochure and was surprised that Icon top end weighs only 1003kgs, while Figo TDCi Titanium is 1130kgs. Thats ~130 kgs more... phew!!!

From my side, my Figo take 3 rd gear without A/C at 25kmph and there is no strain after that, plus gear shift has become buttery smooth.

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 14th May 2010 at 19:45.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 09:12   #478
BHPian
 
shubhodeepdas@g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 250
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Was browsing over Ford icon TDCI brochure and was surprised that Icon top end weighs only 1003kgs, while Figo TDCi Titanium is 1130kgs. Thats ~130 kgs more... phew!!!

From my side, my Figo take 3 rd gear without A/C at 25kmph and there is no strain after that, plus gear shift has become buttery smooth.
The Figo weighs 1130 kgs which is 20 less than a Fiesta SXi ABS TDCi.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 09:15   #479
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

All that weight in the figo is primarily for a better safety rating, one that is equivalent to the fiesta.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 10:18   #480
BHPian
 
Brix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

I do have to admit, the door's sheet metal felt a lot thicker than than Maruti's.

Only way out is - I got to reduce weight for better FE.

But how is it possible that the difference is only 20kg. Isnt the Fiesta bigger and also comes with a big boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
All that weight in the figo is primarily for a better safety rating, one that is equivalent to the fiesta.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Dart" - Moondust Silver Ford Figo Titanium TDCi : 56,000 km Update shuvc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 102 15th February 2016 12:21
PaNtHeR - My Ford Figo TDCi EXi -24K update gr8guzzler Long-Term Ownership Reviews 143 18th July 2011 09:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks